• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did Christ have to live a perfect life for justification??

TACRN01

Hi,

I have a question. I can understand that The Christ had to suffer and bear our punishment for our sins in order for us to be forgiven and have eternal life. I have always wondered why he had to live a perfect life? I know the lamb in the Old Testament had to be spotless, But why? Wouldn't just having our sins forgiven put us in right standing since this is what seperates us from God? I have heard preachers and pastors say that Christ had to live a perfect obiedient life but they only say a few things about it and then move on. I still have not had anyone clearly explain this to me.

If anyone has understanding about this thank you.

Dunemeister

I'd just point you to N. T. Wright's Jesus and the Victory of God, which deals with the relevance (writ large) of Jesus' life to his death (a subject sadly neglected by most Christians) or perhaps Justification: God's Plan & Paul's Vision, which deals directly with the issue you mention (although the context of this book is to enter into debate with those who have consistently misinterpreted what he has written on the subject elsewhere, it will prove immensely useful to you).

TACRN01

Thank you Dunemeister I will look these up, bit nobody else on this website has understanding of this though?:confused:? This post is under the Christian Theology section right?:sleep:

Heneni

Miss Independent
Hi,

I have a question. I can understand that The Christ had to suffer and bear our punishment for our sins in order for us to be forgiven and have eternal life. I have always wondered why he had to live a perfect life? I know the lamb in the Old Testament had to be spotless, But why? Wouldn't just having our sins forgiven put us in right standing since this is what seperates us from God? I have heard preachers and pastors say that Christ had to live a perfect obiedient life but they only say a few things about it and then move on. I still have not had anyone clearly explain this to me.

Sin is imputed into the blood. When that blood is spilt on the earth it cries out, like abel's blood cried out for vengence. Blood is the life of the human body, and sin is imputed into the blood of a human. A person that does not have sin imputed into their blood cannot die. Hence jesus could not have died if sin was not placed upon him, or imputed into his blood.

In the garden of getsemane, jesus finds himself in anguish. This kind of anguish was never there before. The anguish started because the sin of mankind started to be placed upon him, and him being completely sinless was made sin!

He started to sweat, and some would even say, and i agree, he started to sweet drops of blood.

Had the sin of mankind not been imputed into his blood his body would not have been able to die. But he could never have one sin of his own in his body. So he had to life a perfect life so that there would be no sin of his own in his blood but only the sin of mankind. That meant he could die, but it aslo meant that he was able to rise from the dead after he died, because legally the grave, death did not have a legal hold on him. Death has a legal hold on your spirit as long as the body you died with had sin in it.

As jesus was on the cross, they pierced him and blood and water flowed. This blood fell onto the ground and onto in the spiritual sense the mercy seat of god. Hence jesus did not come to destroy the earth when he was here, but rather to offer them mercy.

The other thing that jesus did on the cross, was place within his spirit those spirits which believed on him to save them, and when he resurrected from the dead, they were transferrred out of the kingdom of darkness (death) into the kingdom of light (paradise) and its from paradise that the children of god are born onto this planet. Hence they are BORN again.

Heneni

jtartar

Hi,

TACRNO1'
It is true that Jesus had to be a perfect man in order to fulfill his role as the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world, John 1:29.
Consider what is said at I Tim 2:5,6. Notice that it is said that Jesus was a CORRESPONDING ransom. Corresponding means a ransom price of equal value to the thing lost. What was lost by Adam?? It was perfection, when he rebelled against God.
So Jesus had to remain perfect in order to gain back for us that perfect life that Adam lost. Consider also Ps 49:6-9, which tells us hat no one can provide a ransom price, even for a brother, because the price is too high. The price is too high because every man born on earth is also imperfect, as descendents of Adam and Eve, Rom 5:6-10, 12. To get the full understanding of the idea of mankind not dying because of disobeying law, but because of being imperfect, read Rom 5:13-21, also Heb 10:14-17. Since Jesus died for every man we do not die because of not obeying Law, because Jesus saved us from the law of sin and death, we die today because of the imperfection inherited from Adam, Gal 3:10-14, Col 2:13,14.
The only way a person can be saved is by faith in Jesus' ransom an obey his commandments and God's as good as we can, Matt 20:28, Gal 2:16, Acts 13:38,39, Heb 10:28,29, John 15:10, Heb 4:14,15.

Mike214

Then if Jesus lived a perfect life why, in addition to die for our sins on the cross, He also was baptized by John , the baptist ? Did He pay twice for our sins ?

Then if Jesus lived a perfect life why, in addition to die for our sins on the cross, He also was baptized by John , the baptist ? Did He pay twice for our sins ?
He fulfilled all the Law. As our new high priest, he was washed before his ordination.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In His own words, He was baptized "to fulfill all righteousness." In other words, it was His Father's commandment that He be baptized and He was perfectly obedient. He was also baptized to demonstrate to us the importance of receiving this ordinance.

psalmist23

Hi TACRN01,

I suggest that Christ had to be fully righteous, and live a perfectly acceptable life, because God is indeed holy and righteous. The reason that God sent the law to the Israelites was no so that they could fulfill the law themselves, but rather so that they would come to realize their own sinfulness. The law showed us Gods standard, and that only someone truly spiritual in nature could fulfill it. No man was able to do this, because all men have sinned, and have fallen short of the glory of God. And since God can not be in the presence of sin, man was in need of a savior – someone who would in fact meet the standards of God. And in steps Jesus. He was the spotless and perfect lamb of God, whom God would only accept. Had he failed in keeping the law on just one point (and bear in mind that only he truly understood the heart of the law, being about mercy, not sacrifice), then his death would not have been sufficient in the eyes of a holy God. But he did keep the law, all the time, throughout his entire life, thereby fulfilling it, and in the end could cried out on the cross: ”It is finished!”

Hi,

Forgive me, but I think that is garbage. It's God is a fascist hunter to torture evil, be afraid so beg him to protect you, theology.

God is God. There is NOTHING HE HAS TO DO FOR ANYTHING, and there is NO BLOOD THAT WILL magically make him forgive anything.

Therefore the ONLY reason Jesus had to die, was that was how GOd planned it.

God had to have an image that would tell us scared sheep it was safe to stop running and hiding from Him. That we could come home and He could make us Whole again.

Adam fled GOD, God didn't stay away from Adam. We run from Him. We run from Him because we are afraid of Judgement. If HE can show us we need not fear Judgement, in a way that we can understand, then HE JUST MIGHT get our hard headed butts back home.

If we come home, he can clean us like the prodigal son's father cleaned him.

For God so loved the world, that he made man INSTINCTUALLY love his children so that GOD could SEND HIS CHILD as a sacrifice and man would have an image they could understand it was safe to come home from.

Please hold the applause,
put it in the box with all the folks dying to call me a heretic. :) :run:

jtartar

Hi,

TACRNO1,
Very good question, in fact it is vital that we understand for us to be able to take advantage of the Great Ransom Sacrifice of Jesus, The Anointed One of God, The Christ.
When God created Adam and Eve, He made them perfect, and gave them a mandate, to multiply, fill the earth an subdue it. There was no way for them to die, except to disobey God, and then they would return to the ground, from where they were created, Gen 2:17, 3:19, Ecc 3:18-20, 9:5,6,10.
God stated a purpose for the earth, Isa 45:18, Ps 115:16, Ps 37:29.
When Adam and Eve sinned, actually stole something that did not belong to them, they rebelled against God and showed God that they would rather believe and follow Satan, than Him.
Immediately after their fall, God decided to make a way for people who wants to follow Him to also receive the same blessings that He was going to give Adam and Eve, before the rebelled.
Jehovah God's purpose is first stated in the very first prophecy, recorded in the Holy Scriptures, Gen 3:15. The woman mentioned there is not Eve, but God's woman, Rev 12:1-6 tells about the birth of The Messianic Kingdom, not actually the birth of Jesus, because Jesus was born, created billions of years before this time. Jesus will finally get rid of all Satan's seed, bruising Satan's head.
God determined to send His son to earth to give his life for mankind, Matt 20:28, 1Tim 2:5,6. Notice that Jesus was a Ransom Sacrifice. This means that his life would buy back the lives of many of mankind.
Rom 5:12-14 gives us an answer as to why we die, sin was passed on to all of Adam's descendants. Verse 14 is talking about Jesus, who was the only other perfect man.
Now, as a Ransom Sacrifice, what exactly was Jesus buying back?! It was perfect life!! That Adam dad lost for all of us. Jesus had to be a perfect Sacrifice in order to buy back the perfect life Adam lost.
Even more, this means that people that lived before Jesus lived will come under his sacrifice, so that they too can live again, and that all who are alive when Jesus comes again will not have to die, ever, 2Cor 5:24,15.
All this great information is summed up in a John 3:16. This Scripture is called by many, The Gospel, In Miniature!!!