• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did Buddhism and Hinduism switch places in India/East Asia

ronki23

In India Hinduism is the main religion yet King Asokha was a Buddhist and the wheel of Ashoka is on India's flag

In South East Asia; particularly Thailand (area and Royals' names) and Cambodia (Angor Wat) Buddhism is the main religion even though South East Asia's culturally Hindu

In China,Korea and Japan it's Buddhism mixed with folk religion and no Hinduism

Did Hinduism absorb Buddhism? Why do Jains and Zoroastrians also partake in Ganesh Chautri and Diwali?

By the way, this is a bias video but did the vegetarianism come from Buddhism? As we know some branches of Hinduism sacrifice animals; I hear it is an 'Aryan Hindu' invention. Was vegetarianism in Vedic/ South Indian Hinduism or did Jainism and Buddhism morph Hinduism?

[youtube]-nlMiI7_oEo[/youtube]

There was another video where his son (I believe; a youngster who talks like him on Peace TV) preaches the same thing. Selective quoting imo

Interesting article but too long

Beef eating in the Hindu Tradition | Rohini Bakshi - Academia.edu

Was the reason Hindus don't eat beef because Krishna is GOVINDA and because Hindus believe that each Yuga is a bull's leg and now that we're in Kali Yugu, the bull is only on one leg. It can't only be for cultural reason e.g. milk, gestation period and ploughing fields because i'm sure goats do this too. And obviously Hindus today don't eat it

Except

BBC News - Violence breaks out at Indian beef-eating festival

I don't even know when/how I stopped beef. I read in a schoolbook Hindus aren't meant to eat beef though I don't think it's from that! I was eating all meat for a while up to 9-10 years old and went vegetarian for a year. Then I ate meat except beef but I am unsure where I stopped beef.

Keeping with the topic of how Hinduism has changed over the years:

http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smspublic...ndHinduism.pdf

'Some facts about Krishna'- Krishna's polygamy, his death, how he 'cheated' to help Bhim and Arjun win,etc.

'Some facts about Raam'- Ram and Lakhsman did things for their own gain e.g. helping Surgriv, Raam didn't want Sita initially, they expelled Sita, Ravana was only looking out for his sister,his sister loved Lakshman

'Ramayan' - Written in 400BC but now apparently 5AD due to references to Alexander the Great and Buddhism.

'Mahabharat'-standardised only after 1966

73-74,81 (where it says Vedas has sections promoting violence and division and Indra was not a good God),

Limitations and fallacies of Hindu Gods 157-161,164-165

Guru Gobind Singh and Durga Worship being a new addition to the Dasam Granth Sahib (which is already secular) 271-274

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I get the feeling that Hinduism is more motivating in a political sense, and at the same time somewhat more difficult to establish in numbers outside of India without a pre-existing cultural tradition.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It's possible that Buddhism and Jainism influenced the rise in vegetarianism within Hindu society in India but there's no doubt from the scriptures that 1) eating meat under certain circumstances is permitted and 2) vegetarianism is highly recommended

Chakra

Premium Member
Did Hinduism absorb Buddhism? Why do Jains and Zoroastrians also partake in Ganesh Chautri and Diwali?
Same reason I celebrate Christmas.

By the way, this is a bias video but did the vegetarianism come from Buddhism? As we know some branches of Hinduism sacrifice animals; I hear it is an 'Aryan Hindu' invention. Was vegetarianism in Vedic/ South Indian Hinduism or did Jainism and Buddhism morph Hinduism?
No. Vegetarianism is written there in the Vedas and Puranas.

Was the reason Hindus don't eat beef because Krishna is GOVINDA and because Hindus believe that each Yuga is a bull's leg and now that we're in Kali Yugu, the bull is only on one leg. It can't only be for cultural reason e.g. milk, gestation period and ploughing fields because i'm sure goats do this too. And obviously Hindus today don't eat it
It is certainly not a cultural reason. Sanatana Dharma is eternal. It does not change to the recent cultural trend. And yes, cows are dear to every single God. So we avoid eating them. Cow eating gives some of the worst karmic reactions you can get.

I don't even know when/how I stopped beef. I read in a schoolbook Hindus aren't meant to eat beef though I don't think it's from that! I was eating all meat for a while up to 9-10 years old and went vegetarian for a year. Then I ate meat except beef but I am unsure where I stopped beef.

Beef is to be avoided in either case, religiously and scientifically. Beef production is the reason for many problems on Earth.

Keeping with the topic of how Hinduism has changed over the years:

The core concepts of Hinduism will always be there like Atma, Moksha, Reincarnation, vegetarianism, etc. It is called Sanatana for a reason.

ronki23

Same reason I celebrate Christmas.

No. Vegetarianism is written there in the Vedas and Puranas.

It is certainly not a cultural reason. Sanatana Dharma is eternal. It does not change to the recent cultural trend. And yes, cows are dear to every single God. So we avoid eating them. Cow eating gives some of the worst karmic reactions you can get.

Beef is to be avoided in either case, religiously and scientifically. Beef production is the reason for many problems on Earth.

The core concepts of Hinduism will always be there like Atma, Moksha, Reincarnation, vegetarianism, etc. It is called Sanatana for a reason.

But if you see the links provided, you see that there used to be animal sacrifices in Hinduism. Zakir Naik and his son seem to capitalize on this but even Gandhi says

270406_299401413507476_495862620_n.jpg

Another link

The Hindu : Beef eating: strangulating history

Chakra

Premium Member
But if you see the links provided, you see that there used to be animal sacrifices in Hinduism. Zakir Naik and his son seem to capitalize on this but even Gandhi says

270406_299401413507476_495862620_n.jpg

Another link

The Hindu : Beef eating: strangulating history

I never denied the non-veg history of Hinduism. But without a doubt, the Vedic texts support vegetarianism over animal-eating.

And the so called Vedic Age was probably the beginning of Kali Yuga...why do you think that Paraksheet Maharaja chastised Kali Yuga for beating a cow and a bull?

ronki23

I never denied the non-veg history of Hinduism. But without a doubt, the Vedic texts support vegetarianism over animal-eating.

And the so called Vedic Age was probably the beginning of Kali Yuga...why do you think that Paraksheet Maharaja chastised Kali Yuga for beating a cow and a bull?

But if the texts say that you're supposed to be vegetarian, why did Hindus used to sacrifice and eat bovine?

and why do the Chinese and South East Asians eat almost anything that moves if they're Buddhist?

Chakra

Premium Member
But if the texts say that you're supposed to be vegetarian, why did Hindus used to sacrifice and eat bovine?

I don't know. But it is crystal clear that bovine is not to be eaten. Of course, people will try to say that bulls were sacrificed during sacrifices...

and why do the Chinese and South East Asians eat almost anything that moves if they're Buddhist?

Because they cater more to their taste buds their heart or intellect. From what I've heard, Buddhism has always been a vegetarian religion.

And also, I doubt that most Chinese are Buddhists. Most of them are probably non-religious, while many are Christians since Christianity seems to be on the rise in China.
Regards

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Because people do what they want. Hence why vegetarianism is decreasing among Hindus as well. What people do and what their religion recommend don't always match up.

ronki23

I don't know. But it is crystal clear that bovine is not to be eaten. Of course, people will try to say that bulls were sacrificed during sacrifices...

Because they cater more to their taste buds their heart or intellect. From what I've heard, Buddhism has always been a vegetarian religion.

And also, I doubt that most Chinese are Buddhists. Most of them are probably non-religious, while many are Christians since Christianity seems to be on the rise in China.
Regards

Buddha died after eating pork

von bek

Regards

Considerably more Chinese identify as Buddhists than as Christians even with taking into account the recent growth of Christianity in China. China has a LARGE population! :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But if you see the links provided, you see that there used to be animal sacrifices in Hinduism. Zakir Naik and his son seem to capitalize on this ..
I can provide you a thousand links, will you go through them? Before we open a link we think about who has provided the link, what is the link supposed to contain, is it trash or it will have something of substance? Here, you provide the links, then you choose Zakir Naik who is a dumb fool and not a person who can be discussed in any intelligent company, though he is excellent for Muslims and madarsas. So at least for me, you need not provide any links, because I am not going to waste time on them. Yes, perhaps Aryans at some time were beef eaters. I am supposed to be from that stock. We accepted Hinduism, its Gods and Goddesses, and its philosophies; and discarded beef eating. I think my ancestors did a good thing and I am not going to change anything. They did not prohibit meat of any other animal, which is nice. I, like many Hindus, am a traditional non-vegetarian. Some people from us voluntarily reject non-vegetarian food at some point in their life, which I appreciate, because it is 'ahimsa'.
But if the texts say that you're supposed to be vegetarian, ..
They say it is good to be vegetarian and I agree with them. I smoke, but I know it is not a good thing. Non-vegetarianism is surrendering to tongue. We eat it for taste although we can get nourishment in other ways too.
Buddha died after eating pork
Buddha ate whatever was given to him when he went for alms after people have had their lunch and ate only once in the day. He ate only what was given to him in one go, no second helping. That is what the Jain or Hindu monks also are supposed to do.

As for switching places, a twist of history. Things happen. I do not think Hinduism Buddhism in foreign lands. That is not our way.

Last edited:

ronki23

I can provide you a thousand links, will you go through them? Before we open a link we think about who has provided the link, what is the link supposed to contain, is it trash or it will have something of substance? Here, you provide the links, then you choose Zakir Naik who is a dumb fool and not a person who can be discussed in any intelligent company, though he is excellent for Muslims and madarsas. So at least for me, you need not provide any links, because I am not going to waste time on them. Yes, perhaps Aryans at some time were beef eaters. I am supposed to be from that stock. We accepted Hinduism, its Gods and Goddesses, and its philosophies; and discarded beef eating. I think my ancestors did a good thing and I am not going to change anything. They did not prohibit meat of any other animal, which is nice. I, like many Hindus, am a traditional non-vegetarian. Some people from us voluntarily reject non-vegetarian food at some point in their life, which I appreciate, because it is 'ahimsa'.They say it is good to be vegetarian and I agree with them. I smoke, but I know it is not a good thing. Non-vegetarianism is surrendering to tongue. We eat it for taste although we can get nourishment in other ways too.Buddha ate whatever was given to him when he went for alms after people have had their lunch and ate only once in the day. He ate only what was given to him in one go, no second helping. That is what the Jain or Hindu monks also are supposed to do.

As for switching places, a twist of history. Things happen. I do not think Hinduism Buddhism in foreign lands. That is not our way.

There's a difference between allowing one to eat meat and sacrificing it. And I see (particularly the BBC article) that some Hindu castes eat meat

And I've also added to that Sikhi thread

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh, sure, many do. Even brahmins. Kashmiri brahmins are non-vegetarian and so are Maithil brahmins (that is what I have been told). Kashmiris offer flesh during their Navratri puja.