• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why despite Thousands hadithes, Mahdi is not in Quran?

InvestigateTruth

The Promised One of Islam, known as Mahdi, is mentioned in Thousands of Hadithes both in Sunni as well as Shia major Hadith collections.
These Hadithes are essentially attributed to Prophet Muhammad in origin are recorded from great number of different chains of narrators.
All of these Hadithes, one way or another talk about a Promised Figure, who will have an important function in future, at a time, known as Period of End Time.

What is the possibility that, all these Hadithes were fabricated and falsely attributed to Muhammad?

Why would such a great number of Muslims, engage in fabrication of thousands of Hadithes about a Mahdi who should appear in future?

If we think, all those who reported these hadithes were fabricating hadithes, wouldn't this be a conspiracy theory, when there is no historical evidence telling us why they were doing these fabrications?

On the other hand, if we accept, Muhammad did speak of the Mahdi in a thousand Hadith to His companions, how can we believe He did not mention Mahdi even a single time in the Quran?

Note: this thread is to look at this from historical, and logical point of view, rather than what one believes regarding Islam.

Last edited:

MNoBody

trying to get a handle on reality via the "sacred stories" is akin to seeking a working knowledge of nuclear physics by studying the works or stan lee and the marvel universe.....they are all the work of interested authors promoting an ideological agenda using whatever was known in their times to construct such stories which inflame men's minds, much like the movies and musicians of today get their loyal fan bases, just a different genre...same game, in essence though.

Ponder This

The Promised One of Islam, known as Mahdi, is mentioned in Thousands of Hadithes both in Sunni as well as Shia major Hadith collections.
These Hadithes are essentially attributed to Prophet Muhammad in origin are recorded from great number of different chains of narrators.
All of these Hadithes, one way or another talk about a Promised Figure, who will have an important function in future, at a time, known as Period of End Time.

What is the possibility that, all these Hadithes were fabricated and falsely attributed to Muhammad?

Why would such a great number of Muslims, engage in fabrication of thousands of Hadithes about a Mahdi who should appear in future?

If we think, all those who reported these hadithes were fabricating hadithes, wouldn't this be a conspiracy theory, when there is no historical evidence telling us why they were doing these fabrications?

On the other hand, if we accept, Muhammad did speak of the Mahdi in a thousand Hadith to His companions, how can we believe He did not mention Mahdi even a single time in the Quran?

Note: this thread is to look at this from historical, and logical point of view, rather than what one believes regarding Islam.

Hmm, I wonder: What purpose it would have served to have the Mahdi mentioned in the Quran? If the Quran was revealed in a particular time and place for a particular purpose and the Mahdi is a distant future, then might mention of the Mahdi distract from the message of the Quran?

MNoBody

4efddebd5f11685906b6c06332702725.jpg

InvestigateTruth

Hmm, I wonder: What purpose it would have served to have the Mahdi mentioned in the Quran? If the Quran was revealed in a particular time and place for a particular purpose and the Mahdi is a distant future, then might mention of the Mahdi distract from the message of the Quran?
Thanks for reply.
Quran contains many prophecies, specially 1/3 of Quran are about prophecies of Day of Resurrection.
According to Hadithes, there comes a time, the earth will be filled with injustice. Even Muslims will not be following true Islam anymore. At such a time, Mahdi comes to renew Islam, and fill the earth with Justice.
The fact that Muhammad was speaking about Mahdi to many of His companions tells us, it was so important to Him. In fact there is no other subject in Islam, that is mentioned in Hadithes, as much as the subject of Mahdi.

SeekerOnThePath

On a mountain between Nietzsche and Islam

The thing here is that the Qur'an is universal and the final scripture.
Whereas the prophecies of the Mahdi is........the role of the Prophet.
Prophecy and Revelation (from God) are interlinked but not the same.
The Qur'an is for the rest of history, whereas Prophecies such as the Mahdi is part of the history that at some-point we directly participate within.

I should also add that the Mahdi is the exoteric understanding of the Qa'im (which is an esoteric intiatory teaching of the Imams). The word "Qa'im" is directly etymologically related to the word Qiyamah, as both are basically the singularity of the 'primordial Adam' in a sense. Almost like the shape of a pyramid, the two angles (pre-history and post-Time) both converge upon each other, as they are the same thing.
There were basically three different significant points here: one was Adam himself, the second was Jesus (in his birth) whereas the third is the reversal of the two, being what subsumes time itself being the inverse of Adam.

As Shi'ite and Zoroastrian tradition both state, the 'end' is like the 'beginning'. Event the New Testament has the notion that the end is like the times of Noah.

The return to the Garden is another idea here in the overarching view.

As far as why the Mahdi is not mentioned in the Qur'an directly, well the return of Jesus isn't either.
Unlike the Mahdi, the Return of Jesus was an idea that entered Hadith literature much later (probably to appease Christians, I'm not sure - but it started in Sunni collections then Shia collections started adding it).
I like to think of myself as a restorationist Shi'ite, in that I aspire towards earlier forms of Shi'ism rather than the later ones. The return of Jesus is something I vehemently reject, whereas the Mahdi I take as merely the exoteric physicalized illustration or depiction of the Qa'im within time.

InvestigateTruth

The thing here is that the Qur'an is universal and the final scripture.
Whereas the prophecies of the Mahdi is........the role of the Prophet.
Prophecy and Revelation (from God) are interlinked but not the same.
The Qur'an is for the rest of history, whereas Prophecies such as the Mahdi is part of the history that at some-point we directly participate within.

I should also add that the Mahdi is the exoteric understanding of the Qa'im (which is an esoteric intiatory teaching of the Imams). The word "Qa'im" is directly etymologically related to the word Qiyamah, as both are basically the singularity of the 'primordial Adam' in a sense. Almost like the shape of a pyramid, the two angles (pre-history and post-Time) both converge upon each other, as they are the same thing.
There were basically three different significant points here: one was Adam himself, the second was Jesus (in his birth) whereas the third is the reversal of the two, being what subsumes time itself being the inverse of Adam.

As Shi'ite and Zoroastrian tradition both state, the 'end' is like the 'beginning'. Event the New Testament has the notion that the end is like the times of Noah.

The return to the Garden is another idea here in the overarching view.

As far as why the Mahdi is not mentioned in the Qur'an directly, well the return of Jesus isn't either.
Unlike the Mahdi, the Return of Jesus was an idea that entered Hadith literature much later (probably to appease Christians, I'm not sure - but it started in Sunni collections then Shia collections started adding it).
I like to think of myself as a restorationist Shi'ite, in that I aspire towards earlier forms of Shi'ism rather than the later ones. The return of Jesus is something I vehemently reject, whereas the Mahdi I take as merely the exoteric physicalized illustration or depiction of the Qa'im within time.
Thanks for reply. So, basically you don't have any logical reason why Mahdi or the Qaim are not in the Quran. I would be more interested to see if Muhammad or Imams gave any explanation why Mahdi or the Qaim are not mentioned in the Quran. Do you know any explanation from them?
By the way, there are just 29 Hadithes which states Mahdi and Christ appear at the same time, with Christ praying behind Mahdi. These Hadithes are reported through various chains attributed to Muhammad.
I dont see any reason, why these Hadithes should be considered fabricated, other than just "I dont believe them kind of attitude"

Last edited:

Ponder This

Thanks for reply.
Quran contains many prophecies, specially 1/3 of Quran are about prophecies of Day of Resurrection.
According to Hadithes, there comes a time, the earth will be filled with injustice. Even Muslims will not be following true Islam anymore. At such a time, Mahdi comes to renew Islam, and fill the earth with Justice.
The fact that Muhammad was speaking about Mahdi to many of His companions tells us, it was so important to Him. In fact there is no other subject in Islam, that is mentioned in Hadithes, as much as the subject of Mahdi.

I get that the Day of Resurrection is about the final judgement of people and helps muslims to understand that there are consequences for their actions. But what does prophetic information about the Mahdi do for muslims?

I noticed that it seems that Dajjal is also not explicitly mentioned in the Quran.

InvestigateTruth

I get that the Day of Resurrection is about the final judgement of people and helps muslims to understand that there are consequences for their actions. But what does prophetic information about the Mahdi do for muslims?

I noticed that it seems that Dajjal is also not explicitly mentioned in the Quran.
It tells them that one day, the true Islam would be lost, and only Mahdi will be able to teach and reestablish Islam. So, If Muslims do not believe there is a Mahdi (because they don't see Mahdi in the Quran), then if He comes and teaches true Islam again they will not recognize Him, nor do they belive in Him nor do they follow Him. Thus, they will not be able to know and practice true Islam once it is lost, and there will be a consequence for not following and practicing true Islam.

Here are some Hadithes attributed to Muhammad signifying this:

Near the establishment of the Hour there will be days during which (religious) knowledge will be taken away (vanish) and general ignorance will spread...(Bukhari)

There will come a time for my people when there will remain nothing of the Qur'an except its outward form and nothing of Islam except its name and they will call themselves by this name even though they are the people furthest from it.(Ibn Babuya, Thawab ul-A'mal)

Signs of the Last Day - The Rejection of the True Religion

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Mahdi in Quran

One may like to read the following:

"In the following verses we will prove that Imam Mahdi, which means a guided leader, is a title of the prophets and all the prophets have been called Imam Mahdi.":
Right, please?

Regards

"And We made them leaders who guided people by Our command, and We sent revelation to them enjoining the doing of good works, and the observance of Prayer, and the giving of alms. And Us alone they worshipped. [21:74]"
The Quranic Evidence: Truthfulness of The Promised Messiah: 3rd Q ANY NEWS IN QURAN ABOUT ADVENT OF A PROPHET?

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Mahdi in Quran

One may like to read the following:

"In the following verses we will prove that Imam Mahdi, which means a guided leader, is a title of the prophets and all the prophets have been called Imam Mahdi.":
Right, please?

Regards

"And We made them leaders who guided people by Our command, and We sent revelation to them enjoining the doing of good works, and the observance of Prayer, and the giving of alms. And Us alone they worshipped. [21:74]"
Ok, but that is not the question. The question is about the particular Mahdi who Muhammad promised. The one to come and unite the Muslims and teach Islam again. Where is that Promised Mahdi in the Quran?

firedragon

Veteran Member

A truly appreciate you saying 'take a historical approach, not faith'.

Historically, the Qur'an is the only document that is dated to the prophets time, both palaeographical as well as carbon dating. Thus, I do believe that if Muhammed truly believed in an eschatological figure of the Mahdi he would have mentioned in the book.

Now you should accept that historically, ahadith are centuries after Muhammed. So they are not entirely historical but faith based narrations of people who in retrospect invented or narrated chains of narrations going back to some early companions of the prophet.

Now, analysing the ahadith with the Mahdi in it most of it are narrated by Abu Hurraira who was not a close companion of the prophet according to the same ahadith sources. Then you do get some others who are hardly known as prominent figures. I find it strange that such an important teaching doesnt come from a chain reaching any of the closest companions like Ali, Abu Bakr etc.

Thus, if you take a historical approach this is to be analysed with a lot of salt, not just a pinch.

Nevertheless, you have stated that there are thousands of ahadith about the Mahdi. Please do analyse and see if at least there are some ahadith reaching back to one of these close companions of the prophet. I would like to hear from you.

SeekerOnThePath

On a mountain between Nietzsche and Islam
Thanks for reply. So, basically you don't have any logical reason why Mahdi or the Qaim are not in the Quran. I would be more interested to see if Muhammad or Imams gave any explanation why Mahdi or the Qaim are not mentioned in the Quran. Do you know any explanation from them?
By the way, there are just 29 Hadithes which states Mahdi and Christ appear at the same time, with Christ praying behind Mahdi. These Hadithes are reported through various chains attributed to Muhammad.

Link actually made a thread on it near the beginning of the year,which you did reply in but would be good to revisit.

The Mahdi in the Quran.

Also: List of Quranic Verses about Imam al-Mahdi (a)
https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234991579-verses-of-the-quran-related-to-imam-mahdi-ajtf/

In our Shia tradition we have entire chapters in certain collections such as Bihar Anwar, Kitab al-Ghayba and An-Najmuth Saaqib are proofs derived from the Qur'an, plus there are many scholarly works on the subject.
Same is true for Sunnis.

The Qur'an in it's primary focuses are on the macrocosmic things, not the microcosmic (corporeal) when it comes to eschatology. It's about the planet, the universe etc and it's end.

As for are there ahadith that mention why the Mahdi isn't mentioned explicitly in the Qur'an? well I have come across them before but would have to look around for them.

I dont see any reason, why these Hadithes [about the return of Jesus] should be considered fabricated, other than just "I dont believe them kind of attitude"

No, not for arbitrary reasons. I reject it on the basis of being very late addition historically, as in chronology (via the Shia collectors Saduq, Mufid and Morteza in particular - you won't find the Jesus eschatology prior to these guys, again it's late addition and not the teachings of original Shi'ism), it came from Sunni-Sufis who themselves got it from Christians (Apocalypse of St John et al).
It's not a justified position in Islam IMHO and it is rather demeaning towards Jesus as having not fulfilled his role as Messiah.

I believe the whole idea of the return of Jesus, whilst demeaning Jesus, also demeans and reduces the Mahdi to irrelevance (when he is literally the final messiah of all of mankind, from the Ishmaelite-Muhammadun progeny).
The Judean-Davidic line ended with Jesus. Jesus was the end of Prophecy to the Jews, Muhammad was the one and only universal Gentile Ishmaelite Prophet of whom from his progeny (12 Imams) is the Messiah of mankind. It's incredibly beautiful and consistent.
The role of Jesus exists in a smaller scope and one in the past (one related to the covenant given to the Jews et al), in comparison to the Mahdi who is the Messiah of the rest of mankind.

Anyway, I know as you're a Baha'i you disagree with all of this, but that's not my concern.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

A truly appreciate you saying 'take a historical approach, not faith'.

Historically, the Qur'an is the only document that is dated to the prophets time, both palaeographical as well as carbon dating. Thus, I do believe that if Muhammed truly believed in an eschatological figure of the Mahdi he would have mentioned in the book.

Now you should accept that historically, ahadith are centuries after Muhammed. So they are not entirely historical but faith based narrations of people who in retrospect invented or narrated chains of narrations going back to some early companions of the prophet.

Now, analysing the ahadith with the Mahdi in it most of it are narrated by Abu Hurraira who was not a close companion of the prophet according to the same ahadith sources. Then you do get some others who are hardly known as prominent figures. I find it strange that such an important teaching doesnt come from a chain reaching any of the closest companions like Ali, Abu Bakr etc.

Thus, if you take a historical approach this is to be analysed with a lot of salt, not just a pinch.

Nevertheless, you have stated that there are thousands of ahadith about the Mahdi. Please do analyse and see if at least there are some ahadith reaching back to one of these close companions of the prophet. I would like to hear from you.
It is true that generally speaking, all Hadithes were collected and written some centuries after the Prophet. However, this alone is not a reason to declare all Hadithes as false or fabricated.
According to history, the prophet had companions, who transmitted the sayings of the prophet. Later these traditions were collected and recorded in the Hadith Books which is both with Sunnis and Shias.

As regards to Hadithes about the Mahdi, many of these are attributed and chained back to companions of the Prophet, including Ali.
Here is an example of a Hadith which has been narrated on the authority of Jabir Ibn Abdillah al-Ansari that I heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "A group of my Ummah will fight for the truth until near the day of judgment when Jesus, the son of Marry, will descend, and the leader of them will ask him to lead the prayer, but Jesus declines, saying: "No, Verily, among you Allah has made leaders for others and He has bestowed his bounty upon them."[4][5][6]
Hadith of Jesus praying behind Mahdi - Wikipedia

This particular hadith, which tells us, Mahdi appears at the time of return of Chrsit is repeated in 29 hadithes, all of them narrated by the companions of the Prophet.

If you look at the Shia Hadith Collection, there are many Hadithes from Ali, speaking of the Promised Mahdi.

In another words, there are indeed thousands of Hadithes about Mahdi.
In Biharulanwar, vol 51-53 alone there are probably hundreds if not more, we can see hadithes detailing signs of manifestion of the Mahdi. Many of them are hadithes of Prophet and Ali.
Likewise there are many other Shia and sunni Hadith collection that includes considerable number of Hadithes about Mahdi.

If we think, the Prophet never spoke of such a Person, we must have evidence to show exactly who, how, and why they were fabricating them. Not just conjecture, but real evidence and proofs.
We are not dealing with 5, 10, or even 100 hadithes. We are talking about thousands of hadithes.

InvestigateTruth

Link actually made a thread on it near the beginning of the year,which you did reply in but would be good to revisit.

The Mahdi in the Quran.

Also: List of Quranic Verses about Imam al-Mahdi (a)
https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234991579-verses-of-the-quran-related-to-imam-mahdi-ajtf/

In our Shia tradition we have entire chapters in certain collections such as Bihar Anwar, Kitab al-Ghayba and An-Najmuth Saaqib are proofs derived from the Qur'an, plus there are many scholarly works on the subject.
Same is true for Sunnis.

The Qur'an in it's primary focuses are on the macrocosmic things, not the microcosmic (corporeal) when it comes to eschatology. It's about the planet, the universe etc and it's end.

As for are there ahadith that mention why the Mahdi isn't mentioned explicitly in the Qur'an? well I have come across them before but would have to look around for them.

No, not for arbitrary reasons. I reject it on the basis of being very late addition historically, as in chronology (via the Shia collectors Saduq, Mufid and Morteza in particular - you won't find the Jesus eschatology prior to these guys, again it's late addition and not the teachings of original Shi'ism), it came from Sunni-Sufis who themselves got it from Christians (Apocalypse of St John et al).
It's not a justified position in Islam IMHO and it is rather demeaning towards Jesus as having not fulfilled his role as Messiah.

I believe the whole idea of the return of Jesus, whilst demeaning Jesus, also demeans and reduces the Mahdi to irrelevance (when he is literally the final messiah of all of mankind, from the Ishmaelite-Muhammadun progeny).
The Judean-Davidic line ended with Jesus. Jesus was the end of Prophecy to the Jews, Muhammad was the one and only universal Gentile Ishmaelite Prophet of whom from his progeny (12 Imams) is the Messiah of mankind. It's incredibly beautiful and consistent.
The role of Jesus exists in a smaller scope and one in the past (one related to the covenant given to the Jews et al), in comparison to the Mahdi who is the Messiah of the rest of mankind.

Anyway, I know as you're a Baha'i you disagree with all of this, but that's not my concern.
Yes, the Shia collection of Hadithes shows the verses of Quran related to the Qaim or the Mahdi.
However, those verses, only according to the interpretations of the Shia Imams are about the Mahdi. None of the verses of Quran can be said is describing Mahdi explicitly!!! No verse of the Quran explicitly says there shall be a Mahdi at the end time.
So, I agree, that the Shia Imams provided an answer here for my OP. The answer The Imams gave, is, the Quran has a an apparent form (dhahir ظاهر) and a deep and inner form (Batin باطن).
The Mahdi is described in the inner form of the Quran.
According to Sadiq, the apparent form of Quran is for ordinary people, but the inner meaning is hidden from the eyes of ordinary men. Had not the Imams revealed them, you and I would not recognize the verses about the Qaim.
But again, this answer is only, based on belief in Shia Imams, and assuming those hadithes of Shia Imams are indeed authentic.
Having said that, the question is now, why the Mahdi explicitly is not mentioned in the Quran? Why is He in an inner form of Quran.
Note that, if the Mahdi was described explicitly in the Quran, our friend @firedragon would have agreed that the Mahdi is in the Quran. The fact that he does not agree, should tell you, the Mahdi is not seen in the Quran by people. Only Shia Imams interpreted verses of Quran to mean, the advent of the Mahdi.

As regards to return of Christ, there are many hadithes narrated by the companions of the Prophet. According to Wikipedia there are 29 hadithes saying Chrsit prays behind Mahdi.
As regards to Hadithes about the Mahdi, many of these are attributed and chained back to companions of the Prophet, including Ali.
Here is an example of a Hadith which has been narrated on the authority of Jabir Ibn Abdillah al-Ansari that I heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "A group of my Ummah will fight for the truth until near the day of judgment when Jesus, the son of Marry, will descend, and the leader of them will ask him to lead the prayer, but Jesus declines, saying: "No, Verily, among you Allah has made leaders for others and He has bestowed his bounty upon them."[4][5][6]
Hadith of Jesus praying behind Mahdi - Wikipedia

So, no, it is not a later addition in the Sunni collection. If you were to say these hadithes are false just by saying they are in the sunni collection or by accusing some companions of prophets as liars, this is just same old fight between sunni and shias. Sunnis also say, the entire Biharulanwar is fake, because it was written more than 1000 years afterward.

So, let's look at these unbiased please.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Here is an example of a Hadith

Sis. None of them go back to Ali. The ahadith you provided in the wiki page, one of them mention Ali but that is not a narration of Ali. It is a narration of Said ibne jubair. He mentions Ali, that doesnt mean its a narration of Ali.

Hope you understand.

It is true that generally speaking, all Hadithes were collected and written some centuries after the Prophet. However, this alone is not a reason to declare all Hadithes as false or fabricated.

I didnt say "all Hadiths are false and/or fabricated" so that's not valid to even say that as a response.

But it was you who said to take a historical approach. Not faith.

In another words, there are indeed thousands of Hadithes about Mahdi.
In Biharulanwar, vol 51-53 alone there are probably hundreds if not more, we can see hadithes detailing signs of manifestion of the Mahdi. Many of them are hadithes of Prophet and Ali.
Likewise there are many other Shia and sunni Hadith collection that includes considerable number of Hadithes about Mahdi.

Al Bihar is about 800 years after Muhammed. It was during the Safawid Empire. If Bukhari is not historically viable as a pure historical record, this would definitely stand ground in the same assessment.

It is the faith of the Shii's, not a historical approach to take something about Muhammed written 800 years after he died. It is only faith and religion that could make someone believe it.

So with all due respect I think you are contradicting your own standard of "historical approach".

Peace.

firedragon

Veteran Member
One may please look verses 71&72 and verse 73 of the Chapter Al-Anbya. Right, please?

Regards

Okay. Let me be more specific.

I read through all three verses, 71, 72, 73 of the Surah Al Anbiya which is the 21st chapter of the Qur'an.

The word "Mahdi" is not mentioned in them. So again, since you said that it calls them "Mahdi" could you please clarify?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member