• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Deism?

St Giordano Bruno

IMHO it is just like some "belief" in God without any "faith" in God. No belief in ongoing divine intervention or some puppet master in the sky, but still retains a belief in some form of "abracadabra" God with caused everything to happen in the very beginning the universe and then standing back to let to laws of physics do the rest. So a deist sees no advantage adopting any form a religious faith because prayers are pretty much useless wishful thinking for them in their eyes.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
They don't, thats what makes them mystics, which in turn originally derives from the occult.
What makes them mystics is that their image of "God" is of a larger picture than most, one that includes the metapicture --the individual and the means by which we derive the "image of God." I'm skeptical that "deism" describes any mystic approach.

Diesm and the various theisms and atheisms all describe an end picture, one that either includes "God" in some fashion or flicks that bit out to make a prettier picture. They don't include "God" by accident --there's bits of the picture that represent a grand mystery, and the word is coined to fill that "gap." The Diests picture is well enough described and known in this thread, of "God" that dosen't interfere; but, in my opinion, "interference" to the mystic is the immediate presence of the creation/result of an immanent, imminent (overhanging) creator/mystery. The mystic's "God" is very much everpresent.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
IMHO it is just like some "belief" in God without any "faith" in God. No belief in ongoing divine intervention or some puppet master in the sky, but still retains a belief in some form of "abracadabra" God ...
Not really "abracadabra" when you consider most Deists consider God as being separate from the Universe, therefore unable to interact within the natural laws of the Universe.

St Giordano Bruno

Not really "abracadabra" when you consider most Deists consider God as being separate from the Universe, therefore unable to interact within the natural laws of the Universe.
Most deists I encounter do subscribe to a belief in a "prime mover" to whom they believe made the Big Bang, Bang!

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

Most deists I encounter do subscribe to a belief in a "prime mover" to whom they believe made the Big Bang, Bang!

Exactly.
Understanding that the Laws of our Universe exist only within our Universe/Singularity and came about as a result of the "Big Bang".

droque

Why Deism?

Deism is the only hope there is for the salvation of Mankind, before dogmatic religious fanatacism on Faith destroys us.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
This is how I see it;

God is impersonal right? But deism is kind of a new thing, the early theism mostly started by western mystics such as the apostles of Christianity.

So was it a lucky guess that there is a God, though they were wrong about it being personal?

OR

Was it really mystical experiences, thus God not being personal.

It's just the opposite of a mystical experience, approaching the idea of God through reason.