• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Christians lie

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

I dont have a tenth of the education, but on the evolution side this is a daily task to deal with the blatant lies.

This is not a atter of hate or vitriol at all, this is a matter of education and the lack of. All for the betterment of humanity as a whole. [if betterment is even a word lol :)]

It's also on the theology, history, and language sides. I am sick of Christians lying in every place! Where is honesty? Where is the willingness to at least listen and engage other people with a sense of respect and openness?

It's like people have made a living out of insulting eachother's intelligence by providing false information and poor reasoning with the intent of never, ever admitting failure and learning. They won't even go to wiki for Pete's sake and get a basic vocabulary.

And they have the nerve to insult. After all this.

dmgdnooc

I think Christians lie because they are taught to do so by their pastors and religious leaders. The only thing that matters, it seems, are the beliefs held by a particular tradition.

These beliefs are engrained in the Christian, made infalliable by circular reasoning, and then solidified by the warning from the pastor that one's faith absolutely depends on the veracity of these claims.

Unfortunately for the dishonest Chrisitan, nothing is infalliable, and in fact honest reasoning requires the subject to be falliable so one can change one's mind if one is wrong. So, to defend these precious doctrines to oneself and others, the Christian must lie. And we see Christians lie about Greek and Hebrew to support various doctrines; lie about science to support creationism; lie about the faith of others fir simple disagreement; lie about the nature of other religions --- it is truly limitless.

When did it become OK for Christians to practice such open hatred for the truth, and hypocritically claim to be the bearers of it?

It is abundantly obvious that it doesn't have to be this way. Honesty will strengthen faith. If one's only desire is for the truth of the matter, especially if it challenges one's faith, so much the better for intellect and faith.

People are, in the main, like sheep; maybe Christians more so.
They are easily led astray, line up to be fleeced and end as food on the tables of the wolves.
Seems to me that the ones leading astray, fleecing and slaughtering have a greater responsibility for the situation you describe than those who are, essentially, their victims.

It might be said in haste, but is generally true, all men are liars.
We lie when cornered or confused or threatened. We lie for advantage, prestige and fun.
We lie to strangers, our loved ones, our little ones and ourselves, and we lie to protect all those as well.

Add to the list as you like, it only adds force to the point. Lieing is, in many respects, the human default state.

Now all of the above has been said with strong roots in the Bible.
The Bible taught me all that and though I can't claim to have overcome the impulse, I still catch myself out, I am at least aware of it and watch out for it and have a willingness to correct and apologise for my lies thanks to the Bible.

The Church has always practiced hatred, it has never been OK for a Christian to do so.
Maybe you confuse the Church(es) and Churchgoers with Christians, many people do.

Huck Finn discovered that there was no point lieing when he prayed, I think that's where the lieing has to begin to stop for Christians too.
First with God, then with ourselves; and from there applying the principle to our family, associates and others.
And let's face it, even Don Corleone could say, with all sincerity, that he never lied to his friends; we should be at least as Christian as that.

Honesty is in short supply amongst humans, that's why we have pure food laws, consumer protection laws, libel and slander laws and the like because honest and fair dealings make less money. In the world honesty must be enforced.
If you ever figure out how to enforce honesty amongst religionists, without installing a Theocracy (with you as its head), then let me know, I'll most likely sign up.

And yes, an intellectually honest challenge to one's faith should be welcomed as blows from a friend.

dmgdnooc

An allusion to Prov 27.6.
Clearly not as good a friend as you imagined.
Did you imagine that?

Sorry, I don't get out much.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Perhaps not, but it does mean they are dishonest.

They are as dishonest as those that use intellect for everything.

You know in every time period the educated believed they were right about everything. I wish I could jump 10,000 years in the future and show you how dumb we really are.

A

angellous_evangellous

You know in every time period the educated believed they were right about everything. I wish I could jump 10,000 years in the future and show you how dumb we really are.

I disagree. But that's not what is the issue here.

Someone who knows nothing can be guided by her intuition, and grow in knowledge and wisdom by honestly looking at the world.

The same with one who has a powerful intellect.

Nothing can be accomplished without honesty.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

They are dishonest because they refuse to learn the truth.
They are dishonest because they ignore the truth for their beliefs.
It is most interesting how they can be so dishonest whilst claiming they serve a god of truth.

A

angellous_evangellous

They are dishonest because they refuse to learn the truth.
They are dishonest because they ignore the truth for their beliefs.
It is most interesting how they can be so dishonest whilst claiming they serve a god of truth.

Yep. The result is:

They insult rather than listen
They are obstinate rather than open

And I'll tell you something else that I've noticed in life: without exception, liars are cowards.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I disagree. But that's not what is the issue here.

Someone who knows nothing can be guided by her intuition, and grow in knowledge and wisdom by honestly looking at the world.

The same with one who has a powerful intellect.

Nothing can be accomplished without honesty.

My problem is that you are saying faith can not be used as honesty only intellect.

Because of your intellect you are telling the truth today and a man of faith is dishonest. Tomorrow however that man of faith will still be telling the same thing and because of intellect your truth can change. Who is being honest?