• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why choose atheism?

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
'Kay. First off atheism really is not a religion. So if you are wanting to choose a religion, atheism is not an option.

As to what can atheism offer you. Hate to put it this way, but that really matters on what you need to get out of it. Same answer for picking a religion. What is it you are seeking?

When you can answer that question, you will have a more solid base with which to answer which religion, or nonreligion will do you the most good.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I follow a rather highly materialistic form of animism. In fact, I am even more of a materialist or "disbeliever" in things than most atheists. I don't believe in gods for one, but the real kicker is I don't believe in life or death either. The way I see it, everything that exists is animated by the fundamental forces. There is no life or death as such, there is only matter which neither lives nor dies. Some forms of matter are more animated than other forms by virtue of how they evolved in arrangement or complexity. Those highly animated, highly interactive forms we call life.

So I guess I am somewhat of an extremist of an atheist. Lol.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I follow a rather highly materialistic form of animism. In fact, I am even more of a materialist or "disbeliever" in things than most atheists. I don't believe in gods for one, but the real kicker is I don't believe in life or death either. The way I see it, everything that exists is animated by the fundamental forces. There is no life or death as such, there is only matter which neither lives nor dies. Some forms of matter are more animated than other forms by virtue of how they evolved in arrangement or complexity. Those highly animated, highly interactive forms we call life.

So I guess I am somewhat of an extremist of an atheist. Lol.

Is this addressed to me?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Is this addressed to me?

Just saying that atheism can be diverse. If you are undecided on which path or religion to follow, atheism is very compatible with different worldviews. I am very highly materialistic and atheistic, but at the same time that is where I derive my spirituality.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Just saying that atheism can be diverse. If you are undecided on which path or religion to follow, atheism is very compatible with different worldviews. I am very highly materialistic and atheistic, but at the same time that is where I derive my spirituality.

I didn't know if you wanted commentary on that.

I would start off by saying, don't you see the possibility of the 'driving force' be of divine nature? I think that is classic pantheism.

Also, I think you might or could scientifically back your statements, but I see possibilities outside of science. The science doesn't limit my speculation. In fact, if I actually analyze my knowledge, I can't fully agree with you./well, perhaps I could..it's a stretch/

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I didn't know if you wanted commentary on that.

I would start off by saying, don't you see the possibility of the 'driving force' be of divine nature? I think that is classic pantheism.

Also, I think you might or could scientifically back your statements, but I see possibilities outside of science. The science doesn't limit my speculation. In fact, if I actually analyze my knowledge, I can't fully agree with you./well, perhaps I could..it's a stretch/

I don't consider anything to be of divine nature. The fundamental forces...electromagnetic, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and gravity are the driving, animating forces behind everything which exists. There are always possibilities outside of science as far as we know it...we just don't know what those possibilities are. This does not mean they are of divine nature however, it simply means there are natural, physical unknowns to science.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I don't consider anything to be of divine nature. The fundamental forces...electromagnetic, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and gravity are the driving, animating forces behind everything which exists. There are always possibilities outside of science as far as we know it...we just don't know what those possibilities are. This does not mean they are of divine nature however, it simply means there are natural, physical unknowns to science.

O.k. I see, you aren't limiting yourself to chemical reaction. That's what I was getting at.

I'm thinking of starting a thread related to all this, may be we can get some good discussion.

cheers

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
O.k. I see, you aren't limiting yourself to chemical reaction. That's what I was getting at.

I'm thinking of starting a thread related to all this, may be we can get some good discussion.

cheers

When it all boils down to it, everything is an interaction of some sort whether simple or complex. Interaction is fundamental. The rest is gravy. There's no need for gods. That is why I am also an atheist. :)

I would be more than happy to participate in such a thread if you started one.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
When it all boils down to it, everything is an interaction of some sort whether simple or complex. Interaction is fundamental. The rest is gravy. There's no need for gods. That is why I am also an atheist. :)

I would be more than happy to participate in such a thread if you started one.

Great.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
O.k., so i'm trying to choose a religion. Atheism is an option. What can it offer?

What can it offer ME?

Wow.

I never considered "atheism" as some "for-profit" system of payback. Organized religion will, in most cases, offer reward for dutiful adherence.

If that is what you seek...then "disbelief is NOT for you. ")

O.k., so i'm trying to choose a religion. Atheism is an option. What can it offer?

What can it offer ME?

Not a lot. If you're interested in personal gain, I'd recommend prosperity theology .

If you're looking for peace of mind after a disaster, apparently Buddhism is very good choice. (The BBC did a series on how different religions fared in the aftermath of the 2004 Tsunami - Buddhism came out top.)

Jainism is good for pacifists, Catholicism is great for taking days off work for religious festivals, Shinto is perfect for syncretism, Quakers have a very honourable history, Taoists are cool, most have great music (ever heard of Taizé?)

About the only thing atheism has to offer is that it doesn't require you to act in a way that, in any other walk of life except team sports, would be called foolishness.

Can you imagine going up to a car dealership and being told that you could only buy a Ford motorcar if you agreed to become a life-long advocate of Ford and unquestioning accept that the features in your car are the best features because Ford put them there? That you must trust that Ford acts in your interests, which it knows better than you yourself know, even if a flat tyre delays you, because it is all part of Ford's mysterious plan to test your worthiness - Ford will make it up to you later.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Not a lot. If you're interested in personal gain, I'd recommend prosperity theology .

If you're looking for peace of mind after a disaster, apparently Buddhism is very good choice. (The BBC did a series on how different religions fared in the aftermath of the 2004 Tsunami - Buddhism came out top.)

Jainism is good for pacifists, Catholicism is great for taking days off work for religious festivals, Shinto is perfect for syncretism, Quakers have a very honourable history, Taoists are cool, most have great music (ever heard of Taizé?)

About the only thing atheism has to offer is that it doesn't require you to act in a way that, in any other walk of life except team sports, would be called foolishness.

Can you imagine going up to a car dealership and being told that you could only buy a Ford motorcar if you agreed to become a life-long advocate of Ford and unquestioning accept that the features in your car are the best features because Ford put them there? That you must trust that Ford acts in your interests, which it knows better than you yourself know, even if a flat tyre delays you, because it is all part of Ford's mysterious plan to test your worthiness - Ford will make it up to you later.
Ha, a Ford? You're kidding right? ;)

Kfox

What can it offer ME?
People don't choose religion that way. Most people are indoctrinated at birth into the religion they are a part of, and usually have no access or knowledge of any other religions or choices till after they've grown up and have their mind already made up and closed to other options.