• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why choose atheism?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No it isn't, it's just an absence of belief in gods. Nothing prevents an atheist from believing in anything supernatural if it doesn't involve gods.
Notwithstanding your correct assertion, atheism is still a view about the supernatural,
ie, that we disbelieve in gods. And many of us will further state there are no gods
or supernatural world.

No it isn't. Everybody is an atheist until they become a theist. (atheist literally means 'not theist') The counterpart of religion is irreligion. Some atheists and theists are irreligious.
Nonetheless, atheism is viewed be a great many as one alternative to religion.
And in the legal system, it is treated as a religion in protections given.

ArtieE

Notwithstanding your correct assertion, atheism is still a view about the supernatural,
No it isn't. It is the absence of a belief in god(s) and has nothing to do with other things supernatural.
ie, that we disbelieve in gods.
Atheism isn't disbelief in gods. It's no belief in gods.
And many of us will further state there are no gods
Those of you who state this are strong atheists. Strong atheism is a subset of atheism. All atheists have no belief in gods, strong atheists believe there are no gods.
Nonetheless, atheism is viewed be a great many as one alternative to religion. And in the legal system, it is treated as a religion in protections given.
Sure. Why not. Simpler than inventing a whole new category.

ArtieE

Great. Then why is it in the Religion DIR?
Why not if it is convenient putting atheism there? "Many Christians seem to believe that atheism is a religion, but no one with an accurate understanding of both concepts would make such a mistake. Atheism lacks every one of the characteristics of religion. At most, atheism doesn’t explicitly exclude most of them, but the same can be said for almost anything. Thus, it’s not possible to call atheism a religion. It can be part of a religion, but it can’t be a religion by itself. They are completely different categories: atheism is the absence of one particular belief while religion is a complex web of traditions and beliefs." http://atheism.about.com/od/definitionofatheism/p/AtheismReligion.htm

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No it isn't. It is the absence of a belief in god(s)
Where you see a significance difference, I see only different words decribing the same thing.

...and has nothing to do with other things supernatural.
It has to do with rejecting these supernatural beings.

Atheism isn't disbelief in gods. It's no belief in gods.
This seems insignificant hair splitting.

Those of you who state this are strong atheists. Strong atheism is a subset of atheism. All atheists have no belief in gods, strong atheists believe there are no gods.Sure. Why not. Simpler than inventing a whole new category.
I'm already familiar with the distinction between strong & weak atheism. Note how loosely "DIR" (discuss individual religion) is applied here on RF.
I only pointed out some variety among us heathens.
Still, atheism functions like religion in some respects. Religious people so often view it as an alternative to their worldview, that it functions as a complement, or even adversary. And consider atheism's legal status. Under fair housing laws, atheism is protected the same as religion here.
Ref:
Should Atheism Be Protected from Religious Discrimination?
This is why it's reasonable to say atheism is not a religion, even though it functions like one in some contexts.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If someone were raised on an isolated island with no belief in the supernatural, no Gods, no notion of incorporeal beings, that person would be an atheist, not because he disbelieved in God, but because he had no notion of God whatever.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If someone were raised on an isolated island with no belief in the supernatural, no Gods, no notion of incorporeal beings, that person would be an atheist, not because he disbelieved in God, but because he had no notion of God whatever.
It's fine if some want to consider atheism to mean "not theism," as you've described, but others use the word to mean, "I don't believe in god/s." Those people deserve a nod, too.

ArtieE

Where you see a significance difference, I see only different words decribing the same thing.
Huge difference. An atheist says "I neither believe gods exist nor do I believe gods don't exist". A strong atheist says "I believe gods don't exist". Do they say the same thing?

ArtieE

It's fine if some want to consider atheism to mean "not theism," as you've described, but others use the word to mean, "I don't believe in god/s."
No, those who say that are atheists. These others you speak of say "I believe gods don't exist".
Those people deserve a nod, too.
Those people are called 'strong atheists' and are a subset of atheists. Calling them 'strong atheists' is the nod.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Huge difference. An atheist says "I neither believe gods exist nor do I believe gods don't exist". A strong atheist says "I believe gods don't exist". Do they say the same thing?
Of course not. But that doesn't address the issue of atheism functioning like a religion at times.
Btw, there are also in-between atheists, who say I believe gods don't exist, but
this is only a non-provable speculation. That's where I fit in. How about you?

ArtieE

Of course not.
Then you see the difference then.
But that doesn't address the issue of atheism functioning like a religion at times.
It doesn't. It can't. It has no "function". It's just an absence of belief in gods.
Btw, there are also in-between atheists, who say I believe gods don't exist, but this is only a non-provable speculation. That's where I fit in. How about you?
I'm probably a rationalist and an agnostic weak atheist.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
O.k., so i'm trying to choose a religion. Atheism is an option. What can it offer?

What can it offer ME?

Atheism is merely one inevitable conclusion resulting from a worldview based on rationality. Rationality offers many advantages and benefits in life to those with an affinity and respect for it. Sadly, however, this applies to very few people - and never to people who can't recognize the benefits of rationality for themselves.