• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Can't Religious Leaders say, "I don't know"?

Ellen Brown

So back during the first 1,000 years of Christian history, there were 5 major centers of Christianity: Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem. However, over time, Rome grew more distant from the other 4 centers all located in the East. The Roman Church went through some pretty big changes, such as inventing the idea that the Pope of Rome was the supreme and infallible head of the whole universal Church, inventing Purgatory and Limbo, making changes to their version of the Nicene Creed, forging some documents like the so-called Donation of Constantine which Rome used to enforce power over the kings of Western Europe and try and force the Eastern churches to submit, etc. In the 1200's and during the Scholastic period, Rome also changed how it saw the Trinity, while the Eastern Churches all stuck to the early formulations of the Trinity put forth by the Ecumenical Councils and the Church Fathers.

Over time, Rome decided to split itself off and go its own way, while the four remaining Eastern Churches all still stuck together as the Orthodox Churches. We eventually grew into Romania and the Slavic lands and now we're making headway into the rest of the world; we even used to have a presence in China until the Communist revolution made Christianity illegal.

Thank you. I was off reading up on things. The article I just finished indicated that the sacking of Constantinople was a decisive issue and never forgotten.
I'm non Trinitarian with Islamic background, so my own beliefs are likely too muddled for most Christians. In fact, the Mods feel I am Muslim... a case of simply being put in a box to make others comfortable. :)

I Believe in God, and Jesus Christ, whether son of God or Prophet, I do not have the answer to? I am comfortable with that. While reverent, my own liturgy and ritualism score would be quite low since I feel that most of belief comes from within the individual. The Holy Spirit is confusing for me, but I am very sure that God cares for me. It is unclear that Jesus is doing right now before his return? It is very clear that my prayers are often answered, though I do not get everything that my immature mind wants, and that is more than I deserve. It is comforting to feel "doted" upon at times. I'm 72 and expect to see eternity before long.