• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't Jewish and Christian people get along?

David1967

Premium Member
Agreed. This is my apology for how so many Christians have treated Jewish people.

I can't apologize for my treatment of Jewish people since outside of this forum, I don't know any. But as to your question of "How can Christians better learn to relate to Jewish people and treat them well?" I would say to forget about the religious aspect and simply treat them like any other person.

David1967

Premium Member
Plus Hitler came up with the idea for the V-1 bomb from a 1930's Boy Scout model kit...just thought I'd throw that in there. You're welcome.

So the truth comes out finally. The Boy Scouts were infiltrated by the Nazis.

dianaiad

That's BS. The Confederacy did break away from the Union in an effort to preserve slavery, which was the backbone of the South's economy. Not only is that rag a symbol of white supremacy but it's a symbol of treason and sedition. It boggles my mind how some people defend it and that states were even allowed to use it in their state flags, and that there's monuments for traitors who tried to destroy America! But we know the reason for that. Those monuments only came up during Jim Crow and Civil Rights as a way to spit in the face of black people. So you've been lied to.

And don't give me that "heritage" crap. That's like using a Nazi flag as a symbol of German heritage! I'm half black and my black side of the family hails from New Orleans, so that's my heritage, too. I'm not using some treasonous racist rag that my ancestors were oppressed under as a symbol of my Southern heritage. They need to use another symbol. Put a magnolia tree on a flag or something. Something positive we can all get behind.

One thing you did get right is that they LOST. Yup, they did. So let's stop celebrating losers.

How America forgot the true history of the Civil War
Confederate Statues Were Built To Further A 'White Supremacist Future'

I am not 'half black.' My husband, however, was. My children can certainly tick that box. You were born into that minority. I freely chose to marry into it. Frankly, you have a point about the magnolia blossom on a flag, but I find it more than a little annoying that Americans today so love to pick and choose the losers they celebrate and the ones they condemn, even as they white wash their OWN history...just as horrendous, if not more, than the folks whose history they find it currently in vogue to condemn.

As for me, I'll get all excited about 'burning' (literally and figuratively) the Confederate flag as soon as those who are so all fired upset about the slavery it's supposed to represent as the people so smugly attacking it (and the people who have lived in the south who happen to need more sunscreen than others) also condemn their own history.

Because, my friend, I think that the east coast ancestors whose descendants are all holier than thou about the Confederates were far more guilty in the slave trade than the Southerners. Look up what happened in the slave ships, and how all those slaves were acquired in the first place.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
How can Christians better learn to relate to Jewish people and treat them well?
When I left my Catholic faith about 25 years ago, the people in the church didn't condemn me or my actions, and when I converted back to Catholicism several months ago, the people at the synagogue didn't condemn me or my actions. So, I've basically experienced the opposite of the gist of the OP.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Before I add my less than two cents about Christianity's historical anti-Semitism, let me start by hrsaying up front that since the holocaust the churches have done an about face. They simply (and thankfully) are no longer the havens for Jew hatred that they once more. I have been accosted in the streets for being a Jew. Online, I have been told the most unimaginably horrible (and ridiculous) things. But I have NEVER been called a Christ killer. The anti-Semites I run into online are Muslims and leftists and neo-Nazis. Not Christians.

Christianity began as a Jewish messianic sect. I don't think it had to go anti-Semitic. Why did that happen?

Jews were from the beginning an embarrassment for the Church. As the chosen people of God, we had been spoon fed God's revelation. We should have "known" the truth, we should have "recognized" the messiah. It was a big, big problem that we rejected Jesus. It hit the very credibility of the Christian message.

And then there was a confluence of a few factor right at the turn of the century. The first thing that happened was that missionaries brought Christianity to Gentiles, brought it and brought it, until it was literally overrun by Gentiles who had no special love in their hearts for Judaism.

Secondly, Paul had gone out of his way to make sure that these Gentile converts understood that they had no need to convert to Judaism and take upon themselves the 613 laws. Unfortunately the converts (to this day) misunderstood this message to mean that no one, even Jews, should obey the 613, that the Law was a curse, and that it was abrogated (despite Jesus saying the exact opposite).

Finally, Jews were hated by the Romans because of all of our various messiah sects and zealots trying to overthrow the Empire. We were persecuted by Rome. Rome kind of threw the Christians in the Jewish pot, and it was in their best interest to try to distance themselves from Judaism. They did that in their writings, beginning with the gospels.

One has only to read the gospels to see how the word "Jews" is often used as a substitute for the enemies of Jesus, who are actually only the Pharisees of bet Shammai.

This reaches a peak in the story of the crucifixion when the story tellers actually concoct a silly excuse for Pilate, that he washed his hands, and this was supposed to have absolved him of his responsibility in the death of Jesus. Pish posh. The Roman Empire is responsible for all executions under its watch.

And the stories basically blame "the Jews." In the Matthew account, the Jews in the crowd actually say to Pilate, "Let his blood be upon us and our children." THAT verse was used down through the millennia to prove that the Jewish people are cursed, that we "deserve" all the atrocities that come our way. It single-handedly is used down through the years to blame all Jews everywhere at all times for the death of Jesus, hence the charge of Christ-killer (and later, deicide).

By the second century, the church in Jerusalem had lost its authority -- the temple had been destroyed and Jews had gone into diaspora. A rift had grown between this church and the other Gentile churches, and the Gentile church had the numbers. By the time the council of Nicea rolled around in the 4th century, the Jewish bishops were excluded. At the same time in history, St. John Chrysostom was preaching the most vile words against the Jews that the world would hear from the mouth of a Christian until Martin Luther.

The rest, as they say, is history. Once you have a cursed people guilty of murdering God, you can do to them whatever you want.