• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't Jewish and Christian people get along?

dianaiad

Yes, Wikipedia. There's nothing wrong with Wikipedia. You needed a brush up on your history. One party out of the two celebrates the Confederacy these days and it ain't the Democrats.

Only because it's not politically correct to do so.

Actually, there's a LOT wrong with Wikipedia...and I say this who taught people how to do research on the internet for years, with Wikipedia as a really good starting point.

However, any student of mine who actually referenced Wikipedia flunked the course, because s/he obviously didn't get the point.

Wikipedia is great....if you read the articles and CHECK OUT THEIR REFERENCES FOR YOURSELF.

It is a lousy primary source. It's good as a stump box to make arguments, but those who make those arguments must support them. For you to quote Wikipedia in terms of scientific or historical fact is like having your aunt's hairdresser's cousin telling you that he knows how to cure your warts because he saw this article on the internet somewhere, and you using HIM as a reference.

Don't do that. Go find the article your aunt's hairdresser's cousin used. Quote that.

As it happens, the vast majority of those I know who 'fly the confederate flag" were not celebrating slavery, as the Democrats so gleefully accuse them of....you ARE aware that the majority of those who fought for the south did not own slaves, right?....

They were simply exhibiting pride in their culture, history and region. Everybody has bad things in their history. For the Democrats to focus on 'the confederacy' NOW as somehow supporting racism is ludicrous. It's a made up target.

I don't see any of 'em, after all, going after anybody on the east coast for THEIR very racist history. That would be bad, since of course THOSE ancestors are PROUD of their hard working, Puritan, democratic roots, with the triangle trade and all.

The FACT is, and it is a fact you can't sweep under the rug here....the Democrats didn't start thinking of minorities (especially African Americans) as worth anything at all until they saw the advantages of getting the votes.

Before then (Martin Luther King was a Republican...and every governor of every state which fought civil rights was Democrat, and desegregation was begun AND CONTINUED by Republican administrations....) all the civil rights folks were RIGHT WING.

And believe me, the most racist group in the world are over here on the west coast, in the entertainment industry. Don't believe that?

Try having any sort of opinion but extreme left wing and get/keep a job in it.

good luck with that.

dianaiad

I guess them liberals fooled all them coloreds into being minorities and got them mostly to vote their way. It's getting to be like a white man cant wear a pointed hood nowadays by golly...

Just remember that those pointed hood wearers were all Democrats.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Actually, there's a LOT wrong with Wikipedia...and I say this who taught people how to do research on the internet for years, with Wikipedia as a really good starting point.

However, any student of mine who actually referenced Wikipedia flunked the course, because s/he obviously didn't get the point.

Wikipedia is great....if you read the articles and CHECK OUT THEIR REFERENCES FOR YOURSELF.

It is a lousy primary source. It's good as a stump box to make arguments, but those who make those arguments must support them. For you to quote Wikipedia in terms of scientific or historical fact is like having your aunt's hairdresser's cousin telling you that he knows how to cure your warts because he saw this article on the internet somewhere, and you using HIM as a reference.

Don't do that. Go find the article your aunt's hairdresser's cousin used. Quote that.

As it happens, the vast majority of those I know who 'fly the confederate flag" were not celebrating slavery, as the Democrats so gleefully accuse them of....you ARE aware that the majority of those who fought for the south did not own slaves, right?....

They were simply exhibiting pride in their culture, history and region. Everybody has bad things in their history. For the Democrats to focus on 'the confederacy' NOW as somehow supporting racism is ludicrous. It's a made up target.

I don't see any of 'em, after all, going after anybody on the east coast for THEIR very racist history. That would be bad, since of course THOSE ancestors are PROUD of their hard working, Puritan, democratic roots, with the triangle trade and all.

The FACT is, and it is a fact you can't sweep under the rug here....the Democrats didn't start thinking of minorities (especially African Americans) as worth anything at all until they saw the advantages of getting the votes.

Before then (Martin Luther King was a Republican...and every governor of every state which fought civil rights was Democrat, and desegregation was begun AND CONTINUED by Republican administrations....) all the civil rights folks were RIGHT WING.

And believe me, the most racist group in the world are over here on the west coast, in the entertainment industry. Don't believe that?

Try having any sort of opinion but extreme left wing and get/keep a job in it.

good luck with that.
Lol, thanks for making my point for me. I'll stick with the party that doesn't defend the Confederacy. I'm not interested in reading all that wingnut ranting, either, so save it.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I am not saying that there isn't any anti-Jewish sentiment.
One unfortunate side effect of a world dominated by the internet is that haters can form community around the hate. And that tiny little groups of haters can spew in ways that get noticed. Far more so than similar groups would have 50 years ago.

Maybe I am underinformed and naive. But I just don't see the kind of ordinary bigotry that used to pervade western Christendom. We are better than we were a century ago in some regards, and this is one.
Tom

I don't see it as much anymore either. I wonder why that is.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I don't hate Jews.

Some Christians think Jews killed Jesus. But Jesus was a Jew, and what really happened was just a scapegoat thing. We're all guilty. We've all sinned.

I grew up Christian, I learned about Taoism. The traditional Christian God/Satan dualism didn't really make sense to me the more I learned about Taoism. Whereas there were a number of passages in the old Jewish tradition that were more of a monism.

Sh'ma Yisra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.

(Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.)

I was reading about how this was used in exorcism, and I was like "why would this be used here?" But then this song came to me.

I want to walk as a child of the light;
I want to follow Jesus.
God set the stars to give light to the world;
The star of my life is Jesus.

In him there is no darkness at all;
The night and the day are both alike.
The Lamb is the light of the city of God;
Shine in my heart, Lord Jesus.

And this passage:

I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.

The Jewish mindset seems to work for me alot better than the whole Zoroastrian-based dualism.

It gets worse than that.

Turns out the Democratic party was the party of KKK. As soon as it became politically convenient for them, they took credit for the civil rights movement (even though Republicans were also involved) and acted buddy buddy with blacks and minorities.

But when LGBT people people get killed in Orlando, the Democratic party shows virtually zero support. They want to use the situation as a platform for gun control. "Shut up slaves, you don't have the right to defend yourselves."

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Christians are dumping primitive Scriptural ethics wholesale, because secular humanist ethics are so much better.
Tom

Oh. I see. o_O
I thought you were going to say because the internet or education or politics or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
I don't hate Jews.

Some Christians think Jews killed Jesus. But Jesus was a Jew, and what really happened was just a scapegoat thing. We're all guilty. We've all sinned.

I grew up Christian, I learned about Taoism. The traditional Christian God/Satan dualism didn't really make sense to me the more I learned about Taoism. Whereas there were a number of passages in the old Jewish tradition that were more of a monism.

Sh'ma Yisra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.

(Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.)

I was reading about how this was used in exorcism, and I was like "why would this be used here?" But then this song came to me.

And this passage:

The Jewish mindset seems to work for me alot better than the whole Zoroastrian-based dualism.

It gets worse than that.

Turns out the Democratic party was the party of KKK. As soon as it became politically convenient for them, they took credit for the civil rights movement (even though Republicans were also involved) and acted buddy buddy with blacks and minorities.

But when LGBT people people get killed in Orlando, the Democratic party shows virtually zero support. They want to use the situation as a platform for gun control. "Shut up slaves, you don't have the right to defend yourselves."

Did the Nazis hate Jews because they were Christian? Do some Muslims hate Jews because they're Christian? Did the ancient Egyptians enslave Jews because they were Christian..? No, no and no. :)

...It seems to be that anti-Semitism has little to do with Christianity and much more to do with other factors (e.g; jealousy and racism). And there are even Atheists who are anti-Semites.

Cooky

Veteran Member
In fact anti-Semitism against Jews has nothing to do with Christianity. The fact of the matter is that racism can exist within a very large number of various ideologies and cultures.

dianaiad

Lol, thanks for making my point for me. I'll stick with the party that doesn't defend the Confederacy. I'm not interested in reading all that wingnut ranting, either, so save it.
I'm not defending the Confederacy. Thank you for exhibiting such a wonderful example of eisegesis.

I am defending those who associate the Confederate flag with things OTHER than racism and slavery, and getting disgusted with those who think that this is all it represents.

In fact, imo, those who are getting all fired up about the Confederate flag (you DO realize that the South LOST, right?) are doing nothing but propagandistic jingoism. there was considerably more to the civil war than slavery, even though it took the civil war to get slavery abolished.

Not that it got RACISM abolished.....and again I will point out to you that it was the DEMOCRATS who kept the racist policies in the south going for considerably over a century after the war ended. It was the Democrats who formed the KKK. It was the Democrats who saw the Jim Crow laws passed and enforced.

.........and it is the Democrats now who are whitewashing their own history and pretending to be all holier and better than thou.

I'm not buying it.

Oh, there are things about the Republicans I don't like either. That's why I'm a Libertarian. I'm an equal opportunity curmudgeon. However, I'm not going to let the Democrats get away with THIS, if I can help it.

sealchan

Just remember that those pointed hood wearers were all Democrats.

Today's xenophobes are much more conservative and Republican. I wrote what i wrote in response to another poster because I that that post was highly inaccurate...as if liberals made up the experience of minorities and are recasting their historical suffering in a way that they wouldn't fundamentally agree with...a ludicrous claim at best.

I've since removed that post because I felt it was just too mean spirited even if it reflected the tone of the post it was aimed at.

Here's an article that refutes the idea that today's Democrats are responsible for today's xenophobic conservatives...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-montana-territory/?utm_term=.5830feff9835

Besides, I'm an independent. I don't buy into either parties' nonsense where they get nonsensical.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not defending the Confederacy. Thank you for exhibiting such a wonderful example of eisegesis.

I am defending those who associate the Confederate flag with things OTHER than racism and slavery, and getting disgusted with those who think that this is all it represents.

In fact, imo, those who are getting all fired up about the Confederate flag (you DO realize that the South LOST, right?) are doing nothing but propagandistic jingoism. there was considerably more to the civil war than slavery, even though it took the civil war to get slavery abolished.

Not that it got RACISM abolished.....and again I will point out to you that it was the DEMOCRATS who kept the racist policies in the south going for considerably over a century after the war ended. It was the Democrats who formed the KKK. It was the Democrats who saw the Jim Crow laws passed and enforced.

.........and it is the Democrats now who are whitewashing their own history and pretending to be all holier and better than thou.

I'm not buying it.

Oh, there are things about the Republicans I don't like either. That's why I'm a Libertarian. I'm an equal opportunity curmudgeon. However, I'm not going to let the Democrats get away with THIS, if I can help it.
That's BS. The Confederacy did break away from the Union in an effort to preserve slavery, which was the backbone of the South's economy. Not only is that rag a symbol of white supremacy but it's a symbol of treason and sedition. It boggles my mind how some people defend it and that states were even allowed to use it in their state flags, and that there's monuments for traitors who tried to destroy America! But we know the reason for that. Those monuments only came up during Jim Crow and Civil Rights as a way to spit in the face of black people. So you've been lied to.

And don't give me that "heritage" crap. That's like using a Nazi flag as a symbol of German heritage! I'm half black and my black side of the family hails from New Orleans, so that's my heritage, too. I'm not using some treasonous racist rag that my ancestors were oppressed under as a symbol of my Southern heritage. They need to use another symbol. Put a magnolia tree on a flag or something. Something positive we can all get behind.

One thing you did get right is that they LOST. Yup, they did. So let's stop celebrating losers.

How America forgot the true history of the Civil War
Confederate Statues Were Built To Further A 'White Supremacist Future'

Last edited:

Poisonshady313

Yes, the word "rabbi" simply means teacher, Jesus was referred to as rabbi. However, a Rabbi is a church leader, and, as such, has to be ordained.

all rabbis have to be ordained to be called rabbi. all rabbis are referred to as rabbi. not all rabbis lead congregations. and one's lineage has nothing to do with whether or not you can become a rabbi.

wellwisher

Today's xenophobes are much more conservative and Republican. I wrote what i wrote in response to another poster because I that that post was highly inaccurate...as if liberals made up the experience of minorities and are recasting their historical suffering in a way that they wouldn't fundamentally agree with...a ludicrous claim at best.

I've since removed that post because I felt it was just too mean spirited even if it reflected the tone of the post it was aimed at.

Here's an article that refutes the idea that today's Democrats are responsible for today's xenophobic conservatives...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-montana-territory/?utm_term=.5830feff9835

Besides, I'm an independent. I don't buy into either parties' nonsense where they get nonsensical.

The left controls education in America and often teaches revisionists history. For example, how many young people are aware that the Nazi's used the Democrat party legal strategy against the blacks as the basis for making the Jews second class citizens. Most of what is taught in school creates the illusion that Nazi came up with this strategy on their own. Hitler and the German even gave the Democrats an award of honor for their assistance in the own racist policies.

How American Racism Influenced Hitler

BSM1

What? Me worry?
all rabbis have to be ordained to be called rabbi. all rabbis are referred to as rabbi. not all rabbis lead congregations. and one's lineage has nothing to do with whether or not you can become a rabbi.

Still missing the point. And you might want to check your lineage statement concerning the time in question.

Hebrew is a single case language. There is no upper and lower case and therefore no upper and lower case distinctions. The Hebrew Masculine Noun – רַב – rav means: 1) large, great, much, numerous; 2) superior, master, teacher. The word – רַבִּי – rabbiy is merely the word rav suffixed with the First Person Singular Possessive Pronoun – my superior, my master, my teacher.

There is no religious hierarchy in Judaism. There is no clergy. A “Rabbi” is master scholar of Jewish Law. The nearest Western equivalent would be a Judge or a Lawyer.

There is no such thing as, or anything similar to a “ch-rch leader” within Judaism. Any 10 Jews can hold a Jewish worship service, anywhere, anytime. A Rabbi does not need to be present, nor does a Kohén. Jewish Houses of Worship are not a necessity, they are simply a convenience.

In pre-Talmudic times if and when the word rabbiy was used, it was in a conversation between a student and a teacher; a yeshiva [Torah School] student speaking to his School Master – my teacher, my master.

In Talmudic and post-Talmudic times it has referred to any and every advanced Torah Scholar.

Literally, the Rabbanim are the Shoftim; our Legal Officials.

In the First Century CE the word rabbiy would only be used between a student and a teacher.

In the First Century CE Judea was a Roman territory, completely subjected to Roman Law. Even though the Jewish Supreme Court – aka Sanhedrin – continued to exist, they were completely anemic, they couldn’t even try anyone for jaywalking. They were there in name only.

At that time, the only people that would have been called rabbiy were yeshiva Masters.

sealchan

The left controls education in America and often teaches revisionists history. For example, how many young people are aware that the Nazi's used the Democrat party legal strategy against the blacks as the basis for making the Jews second class citizens. Most of what is taught in school creates the illusion that Nazi came up with this strategy on their own. Hitler and the German even gave the Democrats an award of honor for their assistance in the own racist policies.

I'm proud to be an Independent who can speak out against xenophobia no matter what party it lives in these days...

My beef tends to be with a conservatism that holds tight to the "old ways" even when there have been centuries of injustice perpetuated by those "old ways". If the Democratic party today has grown away from such thinking, then they have made the right move in my book.

Shaul

Premium Member
The right wing, aided and abetted by the monster in the White House, is leading this campaign of evil.
So which do you think is more anti-Semitic of the “monster” in the White House, having a Jewish daughter and son-in-law or moving the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem?

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Plus Hitler came up with the idea for the V-1 bomb from a 1930's Boy Scout model kit...just thought I'd throw that in there. You're welcome.