• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't Jewish and Christian people get along?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
@BSM1 -

I know you mean well, but please stop. I don't where you are getting the "information" you are sharing, but it is not correct.
Along those lines, does your source provide a list of churches where rabbis are leaders?

Maybe I was looking through my southern Baptist upbringing. The Rabbi I knew was the "head" of the synagogue, and he was addressed as "Rabbi"(capital R) so and so. He officiated at the functions and services, etc. Now I am sure you way more qualified on this subject than I, but I was going by what the Rabbi taught us.

Shaul

Premium Member
Agreed. This is my apology for how so many Christians have treated Jewish people.
Ezekiel 18 explains how you don’t bear any blame for what others have done. So you don’t owe any apologies for what other Christians do unless you are abetted them. But beyond that everyone, Jew and Gentile, owe it to everyone else to seek understanding of others. This helps us all.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I am not saying that there isn't any anti-Jewish sentiment.
One unfortunate side effect of a world dominated by the internet is that haters can form community around the hate. And that tiny little groups of haters can spew in ways that get noticed. Far more so than similar groups would have 50 years ago.

Maybe I am underinformed and naive. But I just don't see the kind of ordinary bigotry that used to pervade western Christendom. We are better than we were a century ago in some regards, and this is one.
Tom
Sure, a century ago we had widepsread pogroms in Eastern Europe and the run up to hitler. It's not so much the absolute problem, to me, but the upward spike occurring in Europe and America that is of concern.

I hope/pray that the trend reverses soon.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
Ezekiel 18 explains how you don’t bear any blame for what others have done. So you don’t owe any apologies for what other Christians do unless you are abetted them. But beyond that everyone, Jew and Gentile, owe it to everyone else to seek understanding of others. This helps us all.
Fair enough, but I am called to be Christlike to all.

dianaiad

There is rising anti-Jewish sentiment from the right wing both in the US and Europe.
‘There is still so much evil’: Growing anti-Semitism stuns American Jews

The Anti-Defamation League logged a 57 percent rise in anti-Semitic incidents in the United States in 2017, compared to the previous year — including bomb threats, assaults, vandalism, and anti-Semitic posters and literature found on college campuses.

Growing Anti-Semitism in Germany: 'We Are Facing a Monster' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International
'We Are Facing a Monster'

The right wing, aided and abetted by the monster in the White House, is leading this campaign of evil.

This might not mean much to people younger than me, but
NEVER AGAIN

I am so tired of the left wing deciding that any 'bad' thing, or anything they don't like, is 'right wing.'

Y'all don't really know what 'right wing' IS, except that it must be bad....

No thought, no consideration...nuthin'.

Y'know, like 'Republicans are racist and Democrats are for the 'little people and minorities...
When history shows us that it is the REPUBLICANS who fought for civil rights and it was the Democrats that fought it tooth and nail until they could figure out how to make political hay out of the issue.

......or that the KKK was a very large part of the DEMOCRAT Party.

In fact, your post makes it obvious that you don't give a good hoot about anti-semitism. You are simply using some reports of anti-semitism as a club to bash anybody to the right of Karl Marx, and, just as a by the way, blaming Donald Trump for everything from an anti-semitic incident in Germany and on LIBERAL COLLEGE CAMPUSES to (probably) the disappearance of the Aral Sea.

Or Chernobyl.

I MIGHT take your aghast protests a bit more seriously if you were really upset about anti-semitism and weren't so obviously trying to USE some anti-semitic incidents to further your own political agenda.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
when religion stops being a personal thing and goes political...
Religious hate can exist between Christians and Buddhists, Christians and Pagans...
Pagans were exterminated en masse after the Theodosian edicts...so...

Shad

Veteran Member
I am so tired of the left wing deciding that any 'bad' thing, or anything they don't like, is 'right wing.'

Y'all don't really know what 'right wing' IS, except that it must be bad....

Some of the examples are Islamic which shows the sources were not read before being linked. Also ADL is misleading as it distorts cases and omits information in order to construct a part of it's list. Some of incidents have antisemitic people involved but the motive of the crime was not antisemitism. Ergo not a hate crime. No different than linking a Islam with a crime merely because the perpetrator is Muslim.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes, the word "rabbi" simply means teacher, Jesus was referred to as rabbi. However, a Rabbi is a church leader, and, as such, has to be ordained.

I think there is a possibility that Jews might know more about Judaism than you do.

ajay0

It is in the nature of belief systems to quarrel amongst themselves.

The conflict in the world is not between good and evil, as is so often projected. The conflict is always between one man’s belief and another man’s belief, whether it is within the family or between nations. The moment you believe something, you are in conflict with the opposing belief. You can postpone it with moderate talk. But conflict is inevitable. – Jaggi Vasudev

wellwisher

My goal in this post is to seek a greater understanding of an imprortant issue. Jesus was a Hebrew Jewish Rabbi, so the problem of antisemitism within some Christian communities makes me mad, and I consider all Jewish people to be my neighbors, and I am to do what for my neighbors? LOVE them UNCONDITIONALLY. The would be no Bible without Jewish people, and it makes me feel very sad to know there is strife. Question for anyone reading this: How can Christians better learn to relate to Jewish people and treat them well? I can't force my opinions on people, but I can be the change I want to see in the world. Peace to you all.

The problem is connected to the Jewish faith causing a small group of humans to differentiate themselves in ways where others are not allow to follow. This leads to misunderstanding. The analogy is a clique of children at school composed of an exclusive group of friends. This clique is not something you can join, but rather is designed to be exclusionary. The net result is a gap in terms of understanding which can lead to unconscious projections and defensiveness. For example, Harvey Weinstein, of sexual assault fame, is a shady character, but he is still a member based on his blood line. However, most people of character are not allowed due to lack of genetic lines.

Christianity was designed differently. It was designed to be inclusive. One can be Jew or Gentile, slave or slave owner. This is how Christianity was able to grow and evolve. It is not based on genetics or blood lines, which excludes people based on something that is beyond their control. Rather, Christianity is based on acceptance of a doctrine; choices within our control.

A loose analogy are the white supremacists. They have a club that excludes people based on a superficial thing that is beyond the control of people; skin color. It is not based on character, but only on being a certain colored character in a play. You can be mean or nice as long as your wear the right skin. The reaction to this superficial exclusion, that is not character based, results in fear and nervousness due to the mystery and the misunderstanding. It can trigger insecurity and self doubt which can then become defensive; riot and anger.

If the the Jews were interested in stopping the misunderstanding they would change the rules of the club to be less superficial and more based on things people can choose to achieve; actions. If the white Supremacist stopped using skin color as the rule to get in the club, stress would go down.

The Progressive push to diversity is about setting up a bunch of clubs based on shallow criteria. Sanctuary cites take this to the next level. It allows even lawlessness and criminal behavior to be accepted, as long as the shallow criteria is met This will create a backlash. The left is creating the conditions for trouble that will hurt even the well intentioned.

Flankerl

This clique is not something you can join, but rather is designed to be exclusionary. The net result is a gap in terms of understanding which can lead to unconscious projections and defensiveness. For example, Harvey Weinstein, of sexual assault fame, is a shady character, but he is still a member based on his blood line. However, most people of character are not allowed due to lack of genetic lines.
If the the Jews were interested in stopping the misunderstanding they would change the rules of the club to be less superficial and more based on things people can choose to achieve; actions.

How to Convert to Judaism | My Jewish Learning

:rolleyes:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem is connected to the Jewish faith causing a small group of humans to differentiate themselves in ways where others are not allow to follow. This leads to misunderstanding. The analogy is a clique of children at school composed of an exclusive group of friends. This clique is not something you can join, but rather is designed to be exclusionary. The net result is a gap in terms of understanding which can lead to unconscious projections and defensiveness. For example, Harvey Weinstein, of sexual assault fame, is a shady character, but he is still a member based on his blood line. However, most people of character are not allowed due to lack of genetic lines.

Christianity was designed differently. It was designed to be inclusive. One can be Jew or Gentile, slave or slave owner. This is how Christianity was able to grow and evolve. It is not based on genetics or blood lines, which excludes people based on something that is beyond their control. Rather, Christianity is based on acceptance of a doctrine; choices within our control.

A loose analogy are the white supremacists. They have a club that excludes people based on a superficial thing that is beyond the control of people; skin color. It is not based on character, but only on being a certain colored character in a play. You can be mean or nice as long as your wear the right skin. The reaction to this superficial exclusion, that is not character based, results in fear and nervousness due to the mystery and the misunderstanding. It can trigger insecurity and self doubt which can then become defensive; riot and anger.

If the the Jews were interested in stopping the misunderstanding they would change the rules of the club to be less superficial and more based on things people can choose to achieve; actions. If the white Supremacist stopped using skin color as the rule to get in the club, stress would go down.

The Progressive push to diversity is about setting up a bunch of clubs based on shallow criteria. Sanctuary cites take this to the next level. It allows even lawlessness and criminal behavior to be accepted, as long as the shallow criteria is met This will create a backlash. The left is creating the conditions for trouble that will hurt even the well intentioned.
Finally finished my conversion.

Noahidism - Wikipedia

dianaiad

Please join us in the 21st century: Southern strategy - Wikipedia

WIKIPEDIA??????

Good grief.

The 21st century shows that it is STILL the left wing that is racist...as a general rule, that is. It is the left that thinks that one's skin color makes one too stupid to succeed in any world with a white person in it, so that 'white' is an automatic reason to handicap him/her (like they do in horseraces). It is a comment on skin color.

Now me, I'm about as 'white' as it is possible to get; back to Scots and Vikings and all things Celtic/European. However, my husband had more minorities in his make up than an entire congregation of the Trinity United Church. My children can check off every minority box on any questionnaire they want to EXCEPT Asian (wait, I don't think they have boxes for 'Asian American' on those questionnaires...never mind)

Oh, wait. I guess I CAN check off 'native American' myself, if I get technical. My grandfather was adopted into the Nez Perce tribe when he was about five, and was raised and taught by them until he was nearly sixteen.

Hmnn. Wonder if that counts? ........probably not. Although I HAVE been told, by my friends in that particular tribe, that I have a greater claim to that status than Elizabeth Warren. No genetics involved there, but I'm welcome at the gatherings anyway. They tell me that they LIKE Vikings.

Whatever.

anyway, it seems to me that the 'left,' in its policies and 'nannyhood' approach to minorities, is about as racist as it is possible to get.

Me? I'm not 'color blind...' but the only thing skin color means to me is what color makeup to buy her for Christmas, or what level SPF sunscreen to take with me to the beach. Would that this was the only thing it meant to .....the majority of the left, who view EVERYTHING through skin color, seems to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
WIKIPEDIA??????

Good grief.

The 21st century shows that it is STILL the left wing that is racist...as a general rule, that is. It is the left that thinks that one's skin color makes one too stupid to succeed in any world with a white person in it, so that 'white' is an automatic reason to handicap him/her (like they do in horseraces). It is a comment on skin color.

Now me, I'm about as 'white' as it is possible to get; back to Scots and Vikings and all things Celtic/European. However, my husband had more minorities in his make up than an entire congregation of the Trinity United Church. My children can check off every minority box on any questionnaire they want to EXCEPT Asian (wait, I don't think they have boxes for 'Asian American' on those questionnaires...never mind)

Oh, wait. I guess I CAN check off 'native American' myself, if I get technical. My grandfather was adopted into the Nez Perce tribe when he was about five, and was raised and taught by them until he was nearly sixteen.

Hmnn. Wonder if that counts? ........probably not. Although I HAVE been told, by my friends in that particular tribe, that I have a greater claim to that status than Elizabeth Warren. No genetics involved there, but I'm welcome at the gatherings anyway. They tell me that they LIKE Vikings.

Whatever.

anyway, it seems to me that the 'left,' in its policies and 'nannyhood' approach to minorities, is about as racist as it is possible to get.

Me? I'm not 'color blind...' but the only thing skin color means to me is what color makeup to buy her for Christmas, or what level SPF sunscreen to take with me to the beach. Would that this was the only thing it meant to .....the majority of the left, who view EVERYTHING through skin color, seems to me.
Yes, Wikipedia. There's nothing wrong with Wikipedia. You needed a brush up on your history. One party out of the two celebrates the Confederacy these days and it ain't the Democrats.

sealchan

My goal in this post is to seek a greater understanding of an imprortant issue. Jesus was a Hebrew Jewish Rabbi, so the problem of antisemitism within some Christian communities makes me mad, and I consider all Jewish people to be my neighbors, and I am to do what for my neighbors? LOVE them UNCONDITIONALLY. The would be no Bible without Jewish people, and it makes me feel very sad to know there is strife. Question for anyone reading this: How can Christians better learn to relate to Jewish people and treat them well? I can't force my opinions on people, but I can be the change I want to see in the world. Peace to you all.

The seeds of anti-Semitism are sown deeply into the New Testament. Those seeds need either to be picked out and destroyed or they must be superceded by new stories and new understandings.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You have no idea what I might or might not know. Prove me wrong.

Calm down, son. This has nothing to do with me. I'm just saying that those who actually follow and practice Judaism are likely to know their own religion a bit better than you do. Do you really find that to be an unreasonable assertion?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Calm down, son. This has nothing to do with me. I'm just saying that those who actually follow and practice Judaism are likely to know their own religion a bit better than you do. Do you really find that to be an unreasonable assertion?

Not at face value. The discussion really had very little to do with religion, just semantics. But I accept your apology...

Cooky

Veteran Member
The Christians accused the Jewish people of deicide and, in Europe at least, banned them from most professions. They kicked them out, fabricated crimes against them, accused them of killing children and cursing people. They blamed them for spreading the plagues, the Black Death, desecrating Churches and they used them as scapegoats for all manner of unsolved crimes.The Jewish people were only allowed to live in certain places in communes; they had to study in private; some were forcibly converted; many were murdered during the Inquisition and other bizarre Christian trials.

Anti-Semitic feeling persisted up until the early 20th century and has hardly yet gone away wholly.

So there is some tension.

I heard that the hatred was so bad that people resorted to conspiracy in regards to stigmatizing the Jews. One such conspiracy involved charging Jews with eating babies and young children.
Blood libel - Wikipedia

...But I disagree that it was "Christians" I don't understand the mindset, myself, but I would think it's a mistake to just chalk it up to Christians". I think it's something much more sinister and mysterious.

Last edited by a moderator: