• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Can't I See God?

Khudayar

Please note that this video was made by a shia Muslim. And it is the view of shia Muslims only.

Unfortunately other Islamic sects have different understanding. For instance wahhabis (who form majority in Saudi Arabia and UAE) believe God exists in physical form and He literally sits on a throne in heavens.

While sunnis believe that God can not be seen, they sadly believe God can literally be seen in Paradise on "Fridays" by certain people as a reward.

Altfish

Veteran Member
"Why Can't I See God?"

Have you considered the obvious answer? You can't see God because he is a man-made creation.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Please note that this video was made by a shia Muslim. And it is the view of shia Muslims only.

Unfortunately other Islamic sects have different understanding. For instance wahhabis (who form majority in Saudi Arabia and UAE) believe God exists in physical form and He literally sits on a throne in heavens.

While sunnis believe that God can not be seen, they sadly believe God can literally be seen in Paradise on "Fridays" by certain people as a reward.

I'm under the impression that after the day of judgment believers will be able to see Allah when Allah removes the veil from himself

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Jumi

Hi. I wanted to post this in Shia Islamic forum but I don't understand why I don't have this privilidge.
Click on your portrait, go to Personal Details and subscribe to Abrahamic Religions DIR by ticking the box. It won't take that long that you will have the posting access there.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
"Why Can't I See God?"

Have you considered the obvious answer? You can't see God because he is a man-made creation.

I know prepping up those atheist guns and firing away is fun to do but you're not really considering the opposite. Would it make sense to be able to see God? the answer is a resounding no.

Unless we're speaking deities specifically, than the very concept of God negates the kind of person-to-person perception and interaction you have (well, hopefully) on a daily basis. You are a tiny little human on a tiny little planet, how you be able to see it?

Try thinking (or answering) about this thought-experiment (to call it that, as you're an atheist). Assume God absolutely objectively exists (in your view), how are you going to see it?

(as I mentioned deities, I am not referring to Yahweh, Jesus, Krishna, Osiris etc here)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I know prepping up those atheist guns and firing away is fun to do but you're not really considering the opposite. Would it make sense to be able to see God? the answer is a resounding no.

Unless we're speaking deities specifically, than the very concept of God negates the kind of person-to-person perception and interaction you have (well, hopefully) on a daily basis. You are a tiny little human on a tiny little planet, how you be able to see it?

Try thinking (or answering) about this thought-experiment (to call it that, as you're an atheist). Assume God absolutely objectively exists (in your view), how are you going to see it?

(as I mentioned deities, I am not referring to Yahweh, Jesus, Krishna, Osiris etc here)

Guns are firing in relation. For thousands of years various religions have been shooting "god exists" without any evidence whatsoever.

In history, when queried, the questioner was often executed, imprisoned or exiled.

In more recent years such punishment for questioning the existence of god is becoming less harsh. Although some religious regimes still offer the historical answer. In more enlightened countries questions are now answered with apologetics such as 'hes too big to see', 'he lives an a different realm', 'he doesn't want to be seen', 'you simply are not looking hard enough'

In short there is no evidence for a gods existence, there never has been and now the key word is evidence (or lack of it), not imagination.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi. I wanted to post this in Shia Islamic forum but I don't understand why I don't have this privilidge.
Anyhow, here's the Biskit Guy of Islamic Pulse discussing if God can be described.
I hope you all like it.

Interesting video, although I don't see that it necessarily "answers atheism." The question is not "why can't I see God?" but more like "How do you know any of this is true?"

Likewise, who can say that one conception of "God" is any more correct than another? That's another can of worms which belies all this business about "God," since there are many religionists and sects who clearly operate under the assumption that they (and they alone) hold the one true belief, while all other sects are wrong.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Assuming God absolutely objectively exists (and under the same premise that no one can see God), then it stands to reason that no one can absolutely objectively know of God's existence. And yet, we have humans going around claiming to know all about God and all the great mysteries of existence - all because they read a book written by other humans who can't possibly know either.

You don't see what's wrong with this picture?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The video does something quite common amongst Abrahamic religious thought.

On the one hand, it says(quite correctly I believe) that we cannot understand or describe the Creator. And on the other hand, goes on to explain and describe the Creator.

That, in a nutshell, is why I don't believe in religion, although I do believe in God. Religion is the study of, and acceptance of, human opinions about the ineffable unknown. Religion is interesting as the study of humans. But it isn't about God, except the Gods which are characters in human works of fiction.
Science is about God. Science is the rigorous study of God, by the only means we have which is the rigorous study of Creation.
Tom

PS ~I am glad you didn't put this video in the Shia forum. Because if you had, only Shia would be allowed to discuss it and few but Shia would even see it.~

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Have you read the various Holy Books?

I read Dr. Seuss' cat in the hat can I say for certain the character doesn't exist I don't know. It is better to say you don't know rather to proclaim an answer in the affirmative or denial especially if such is done with certainty.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Assuming God absolutely objectively exists (and under the same premise that no one can see God), then it stands to reason that no one can absolutely objectively know of God's existence. And yet, we have humans going around claiming to know all about God and all the great mysteries of existence - all because they read a book written by other humans who can't possibly know either.

You don't see what's wrong with this picture?
Excluded in this is those who experience God. You are correct, no one can can claim objective knowledge of God's existence. They subjectively can claim it however. How do I know love is real? Because I read it in a book somewhere, or because I subjectively have experienced its reality?

To tell someone who has experienced the reality of love that they have no proof, is absurd. The "unbeliever" in this case, appears to be nothing more than a naive fool, trying to explain to themselves why they haven't experienced love yet. "It's not real. Where's your objective evidence?" Who exactly is it who made objectivity the measurement of love, or God?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Excluded in this is those who experience God. You are correct, no one can can claim objective knowledge of God's existence. They subjectively can claim it however. How do I know love is real? Because I read it in a book somewhere, or because I subjectively have experienced its reality?

To tell someone who has experienced the reality of love that they have no proof, is absurd. The "unbeliever" in this case, appears to be nothing more than a naive fool, trying to explain to themselves why they haven't experienced love yet. "It's not real. Where's your objective evidence?" Who exactly is it who made objectivity the measurement of love, or God?

I get your point, but human emotion is a part of us. Even if one doesn't experience it himself, one can still see it displayed by others. Whether or not it's "real" is beside the point, although some might argue that love is another form of insanity. The feeling may be real, but it could also be seen as a concoction of human imagination.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I don't know that the sun will appear to rise in the east tomorrow either. But I don't have a problem asserting that it will, and with certainty.
Tom

Because subconsciously you have a certainty in your mind because of your brains content that the sun has always shown despite the uncertainty that tomorrow it may not. However this is quite different from proclaiming something does or does not exist especially if you have never experienced said phenomena. Your brain has experienced the sun continuously and empirically it has not experienced God the same way.

In my personal belief God exists but mentally I am skeptical and unsure considering I haven’t had direct contact with God. My mind could be generating a concept based on a comforting idea. But I am honest to hold my idea of God is based off the culture and influence of the Abrahamic faith. So although that particular deity may or may not exist I still believe because of my personal faith. THAT is the difference between saying something exist-without accrediting religious/cultural influence and saying something doesn’t exist-because of negative life experiences and a lack of faith and/or baseless evidence.

Come on Mr. High IQ!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
@Khudayar - when you talk about seeing God, could you tell us more about what you mean? Do you mean seeing in a literal sort of way or in a more intuitive/spiritual sort of way?

Sanzbir

You can!! Unless it's a cloudy day. If it is clear or only partly cloudy, there's just a three-step process and any human (apart from the blind) can see God.

Step 1: Go Outside.

Step 2: Look Up.

Step 3: Behold Tengger!!

Not even an atheist can deny the existence of that God. They can deny that he has power and sentience, sure, but the existence of Tengger is fairly well supported by all available evidence.