• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why cant anyone be wrong?

Why is it that people cannot accept the fact they what they believe is wrong? I am open to such if someone can rationally prove what i believe and do is wrong. However, everyone believes they are right; that they all are doing God's Will. If this was truly so, why does the NT warn so much about false teachers? (2 Corinthians 11:5-15, 1 Timothy 1: 3-11, 2 Timothy 4:1-5, 2 Peter 2) I am not placing my judgment on anyone; only God has that right. However, all the division is something that Paul taught against (1Corinthians 1:10-17). Even Jesus prayed what has happened with all the divisions and ideas wouldn't happen ( John 17:20-21) How can everyone be united if they all believe differently? There are similar elements but apparently not enough to draw any 2 different religions together. Otherwise it would have already happened on a large scale.

We all may read and understand things differently, but who are we to add or take away from something God has given us? Yet religion in general has done such. It picks and chooses what it likes and discards the dislikes. Not everyone can be right, otherwise why would God have inspired the apostles to write down anything at all if hearsay, opinion, and emotion was enough?

Originally, there was only one set of Christian beliefs. The apostles dealt with division in their own lifetimes and all christian religions can be traced back down to this single set of beliefs. So what about such a belief wasn't good enough?

I may be wrong in my beliefs, but i will continue to study and learn. I am not afraid of being wrong. It is better to be wrong and learn what is right than to be assured oneself is right and be wrong.

"because Narrow is the gate and difficult the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." (Matthew 7:14) Difficult is the Christian way that Jesus taught. What is more difficult than being open to the possibility that everything one has believed is wrong?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I think this is a problem that most people have. It is a mixture of many things. Ego, emotions, strong traditions, etc. There is nothing to bind the human will. It is the only thing in the universe that can say NO to everything. Having said that It makes sense to me that there should be something that can guide it to what was intended. I believe that can be accomplished with a conditional relationship with God. But even then it requires YOU to cooperate.

~Victor

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Pilgrim of this Reality said:
Originally, there was only one set of Christian beliefs. The apostles dealt with division in their own lifetimes and all christian religions can be traced back down to this single set of beliefs.
The only one set of Christian beliefs was what Jesus Christ believed. The apostles themselves had a difficult time fully comprehending that which Jesus taught. Judas went way off course. Some patronized Mary Magdelene for anointing the feet of Christ with such expensive oil. But where corrected for their judgements. Peter denied Christ 3 times. How can we be sure they didn't continue to misunderstand, especially when Jesus was no longer around to correct them?

The reason no one can be wrong is because no one IS wrong. Each person is veiwing life from a different point of view. Every one lives in their own reality, which may be similar to yours but will never, ever be exactly the same.

Stormygale

I can explain it no better than Victor has in post two. Ego is a strong thing. It has sent many to their death, and many down the wrong road for lack of being able to say it, and commit to being in the wrong.

Caprice

"jesus he knows me
And he knows I’m right
I’ve been talking to jesus all my life
Oh yes he knows me
And he knows I’m right
Well he’s been telling me
Everything’s gonna be alright"

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Stormygale said:
I can explain it no better than Victor has in post two. Ego is a strong thing. It has sent many to their death, and many down the wrong road for lack of being able to say it, and commit to being in the wrong.
Ask and you shall be forgiven. Does it give a time limit? Do you have to ask before your body dies? Or can you ask for forgiveness after death? I can find many verses in the bible that talk about the fact that sinful men who repent are just as worthy if not more than the holy man. Can you show me any verse that says that you have to ask forgiveness for your transgressions before your heart stops?

There is nothing to bind the human will. It is the only thing in the universe that can say NO to everything. Having said that It makes sense to me that there should be something that can guide it to what was intended. I believe that can be accomplished with a conditional relationship with God.
The human will is not suppossed to be bound. We were given free will. And there is no need for a conditional relationship with someone who has unconditional love for you.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
However, everyone believes they are right; that they all are doing God's Will.

I don't believe I am 100% right. My beliefs may not be right in Christian's eyes.
(Actualy, I KNOW they aren't). So therefore, I know I'm not right.

Not everyone can be right, otherwise why would God have inspired the apostles to write down anything at all if hearsay, opinion, and emotion was enough?

Because God Himself is right. Indirectly, it is God's word they are writing,
not the apostles. Apostles can be wrong. God cannot.

What is more difficult than being open to the possibility that everything one has believed is wrong?
If I am wrong, I'll live.

Quiddity

Ask and you shall be forgiven. Does it give a time limit? Do you have to ask before your body dies? Or can you ask for forgiveness after death? I can find many verses in the bible that talk about the fact that sinful men who repent are just as worthy if not more than the holy man. Can you show me any verse that says that you have to ask forgiveness for your transgressions before your heart stops?
Yes it does give a time limit. Once you die, time is up. If there was no time limit, why would I anyone even take it serious?

The human will is not suppossed to be bound. We were given free will. And there is no need for a conditional relationship with someone who has unconditional love for you.
Enhanced, there is a difference between unconditional Love and a conditional relationship. Have you ever heard of an unconditional relationship? All relationships are conditional.

~Victor

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Victor said:
Yes it does give a time limit. Once you die, time is up. If there was no time limit, why would I anyone even take it serious?
Were does the bible say this?
Victor said:
Enhanced, there is a difference between unconditional Love and a conditional relationship. Have you ever heard of an unconditional relationship? All relationships are conditional.

~Victor
But relationships are not suppossed to be conditional. We are told very specificaly that love is not jealous, or demanding, you are supposed to love without expectation. Just because we cannot love unconditionally does not mean that our relationship with God is conditional. He loves you whether you chose heaven or hell.

Quiddity

Were does the bible say this?
How about this one. If not I will provide another.
Hebrews 4:1, 11

• “Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it . . . Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.”

Question:
    • If a someone follows the Israelites example of disobedience, will he enter God’s rest?

A. Yes
      B. No
      C. I’m going to pretend I didn’t see that verse

But relationships are not suppossed to be conditional. We are told very specificaly that love is not jealous, or demanding, you are supposed to love without expectation. Just because we cannot love unconditionally does not mean that our relationship with God is conditional. He loves you whether you chose heaven or hell.
      I'm not sure where you got this from but EVERYONE expects SOMETHING from someone else. This is normal human reaction. Perhaps your misunderstanding me.

~Victor

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pilgrim of this reality;

You have just highlighted the danger of using the word 'wrong' in contexts such as this.
wrong
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English wrang, from (assumed) wrang, adjective, wrong
1 a : an injurious, unfair, or unjust act : action or conduct inflicting harm without due provocation or just cause b : a violation or invasion of the legal rights of another;
2 : something wrong, immoral, or unethical; especially : principles, practices, or conduct contrary to justice, goodness, equity, or law
3 : the state, position, or fact of being or doing wrong: as a : the state of being mistaken or incorrect b : the state of being guilty.

Maybe, according to you, my religious beliefs are WRONG; the trouble is, that you don't mean that. What you are actually trying to say, is that my beliefs, according to your faith, are 'wrong' as in (3).

I totally agree with your last statement " What is more difficult than being open to the possibility that everything one has believed is wrong" - but only if you replace 'wrong' by
'erroneus'1 : containing or characterized by error : [size=-1]MISTAKEN[/size] <erroneous assumptions>
2 archaic : [size=-1]WANDERING[/size]. Wrong is far too subjective - unless you are talking about legalities.
:)

Afrasiab

Ask and you shall be forgiven. Does it give a time limit? Do you have to ask before your body dies? Or can you ask for forgiveness after death?
In Qur'an, God says that all the sins are forgivable but to not believe in him is the highest sin. Unless someone truly repent in his/her lifetime.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Afrasiab said:
In Qur'an, God says that all the sins are forgivable but to not believe in him is the highest sin. Unless someone truly repent in his/her lifetime.
It is still a sin, and shall be forgiven. God gives us a lifetime to come to Him.

excellent pt michel. wrong is too subjective and i failed to use a more correct term. Perhaps a better way of phrasing such an idea is : why does everyone believe they are correct and not mistaken?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I have a penchant for being wrong, even when I think I am right.

I ALWAYS choose the longest line at the Supermarket.

I NEVER pick the winning Lotto numbers.

Even my cat thinks I get everything wrong.

Not sure how much more to confess here! :D

john313

warrior-poet
Peace,

I realized i was wrong a few years ago, it was hard to do at first. I kept looking for a way that i was right, but it did not exist. I had been loosely following christianity for almost 25 years. I started reading more and more and talking to new people. i realized that christianity is not the teachings of Jesus, but the teachings of Paul. The teachings of Jesus are the same as the teachings of Islam.
I have recently been looking for a connection between religions rather than more separation, the only thing i have seen is the mystical sect of each is basically the same for Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Taoism, Buddhism, Shamanism(from what i have read)..... I feel these are the sects that are rightly guided. Islam teaches that in the end times only 1 sect of Islam, 1 sect of Christianity, and 1 sect of Judaism will be rightly guided. The only sects that agree are the mystical ones which are rejected by the mainstream religions they are a part of. just my opinion, but i will meditate on it more insha'Allah. there has to be a connection.