• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can’t Jesus be a Jew?

A

angellous_evangellous

I think that you're wrong about this. Jewish heritage passed through the mother. That is, if a Jewish man married a foriegn woman, that child would not be a Jew.

From the great and powerful wiki, may it stand forever!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_is_a_Jew?

According to Halakha (Jewish law), only a convert or a child born to a Jewish mother is counted as Jewish. A child with a Jewish father and a non-Jewish mother is considered a non-Jew. Although an infant conversion might be contemplated in some circumstances (such as in the case of adopted children or children whose parents convert), children who convert would typically be asked if they want to remain Jewish after reaching religious adulthood, which is 12 years old for a girl, 13 for a boy. This standard is applied within Orthodox Judaism, which accepts Halakha as normative, and Conservative which also accepts Halakha, but with a different interpretation.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My goodness, Mary was a Jew, too and not a foreignor! According to scholars she also came from David's line!

TruthInCatholocism

Apologetics
We are clear "jewish" is a religion not a cultural Backround IE: im Italian and irish im not italian irish and christian...

That is clear right?

And his blood line....

Through Heritage O_O he is still Jew.. and even then religion was a choice..(mostly)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
We are clear "jewish" is a religion not a cultural Backround IE: im Italian and irish im not italian irish and christian...

That is clear right?

And his blood line....

Through Heritage O_O he is still Jew.. and even then religion was a choice..(mostly)

"Jewish" also refers to both a cultural background and a racial background.
Ancient Judaism is not the same as modern Judaism. In ancient Judaism, the culture was based upon the "household," or kin-group. That kin-group was racially and culturally based. What the genaeology about Jesus shows is that Jesus was a member of the kin-group that called itself Jewish. And the religion of that particular kin-group was also called "Jewish."

sojourner

It has no impact on the inherent value of his teaching, but it did impact the culture that produced Christianity. Cultural continuity is extrememly important in the propagation and credibility of a cultural mythos, such as developed from the Jesus teachings. Had the lineage not been there, Jesus would never have been seen as credible to those who carried on the ministry.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Had the lineage not been there, Jesus would never have been seen as credible to those who carried on the ministry.
That makes sense. It just strikes me as odd that a message from God intended for ALL humanity would be communicated using a method so dependent on particular cultural considerations, because those so often act as barriers to acceptance - as your explanation demonstrates.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Jesus never taught his disciples not to be Jews. He never told his apostles to convert from being a Jew. They remained Jews until they died, and they believed Jesus to be their Messiah and The Son of God.
I can't believe how many Christians don't know this.

TruthInCatholocism

Apologetics
Apostles...
Like others were called to follow christ
Definition of Christian :
following the teachings or manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ
What did the apostles do?
Apostles followed the teachings of Jesus Christ
Therefore 1 + 1 = Christian O_O
.. so in definition... Apostles did not Die Jewish.. They died Christians......
Back on track....
Time Magazine says:
". . The entire furnishing of his mind was the gift to him of his Jewish heritage. . . . Jesus was a Jew — in blood, in loyalty, in mental outlook, in his criticism of Jewry, in his positive message. . . . "
Not that i look at times for my Religious Answers.. But i believe Scripture is rather Clear.. In all senses Jesus was Jewish
Simple id say!

TruthInCatholocism

Apologetics
They were Baptized and realized that the baptism of water was a replacment of The Covenent Of Moses... They realized they were following a new faith.. The Did not circumsize.. They Broke Bread and drank wine Every Sabath.... They FOrgave sins... They Performed Miracles.. They spoke the Good News.... They formed a new church...

The "Christan" appelation was first applied to the followers after Paul started preaching at Antioch . Paul made explicit the division between those who were Circumsized and those who werent circumcised in Gelations........ O_O

sojourner

That makes sense. It just strikes me as odd that a message from God intended for ALL humanity would be communicated using a method so dependent on particular cultural considerations, because those so often act as barriers to acceptance - as your explanation demonstrates.

All religions are culturally based, because all religions are, at their basis, an expression of the culture. That's why the Orthodox learn Greek. That's why the Muslims learn Arabic. The truly odd thing about Chrisianity is that, though it has certain cultural roots, it was intended to be pan-cultural.

sojourner

They were Baptized and realized that the baptism of water was a replacment of The Covenent Of Moses... They realized they were following a new faith.. The Did not circumsize.. They Broke Bread and drank wine Every Sabath.... They FOrgave sins... They Performed Miracles.. They spoke the Good News.... They formed a new church...

The "Christan" appelation was first applied to the followers after Paul started preaching at Antioch . Paul made explicit the division between those who were Circumsized and those who werent circumcised in Gelations........ O_O

No, they were baptized and realized that the baptism of water was a participation in the fullness of the Mosaic Covenant, which had finally found full expression in the new covenant of Christ. That's why they were able to do those other things you mention.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Where does it say that baptism replaced the Covenant of Moses? I have read the entire NT several times and never recall reading that.

TruthInCatholocism

Apologetics
O_O Again.. Those who look at sentences and not in a text as whole :p

Col. 2:11-12: "In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead"

Baptism replaces the Old Testament circumcision because there was a New Covenant in the communion supper (Luke 22:20), and in circumcision there was the shedding of blood but in baptism no blood is shed. This is because the blood of Christ has been shed.

New Covenent = Christ and His Baptism.. The Baptism of Water and spirit O_O

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I just don't agree with you that that verse says that the Covenant of Moses was done away with. But I don't want to argue the matter further. I have said my peace. :)
God Bless.

TruthInCatholocism

Apologetics
:D ok... Wont argue.. ut seeing as this is religious debate :p

All Christians Should Know The Jesus Did give us a new Covenent.. And seeing as he was fufillment to the Prophecy one would only conclude that Jesus.. Cp,[;eted the Old Covenent and formed a new Covenent as mentioned in the Bible.. :p

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes, it is true that Jesus gave us a new covenant, I am not saying otherwise. But The Jews who followed Jesus were still Jews, too. The Law was not abolished but fulfilled by Jesus sacrifice.

Dream Angel

hmm... this is an interesting topic. I have always been taught that Jesus was a jew - his mother and adoptive father were jews. The thing that confuses me is
The religion (jewish) different or the same as the cultural background (jew).

As I am sure Jews (as in religion jewish) DONT believe that Jesus was the son of God but a messenger? (correct me if I am wrong please!), yet Jesus was a Jew (so I am hoping the two are distinct and not the same as jesus himself would be saying he wasnt the son of God).

If they are different, why didnt they call the Jewish religion something else to make it less complicated and confusing? :)