• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Britain doesn't go to church

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Why Britain doesn't go to church

By James A Beckford
Professor of Sociology, University of Warwick
999999.gif

Tuesday, 17 February, 2004

Fewer and fewer Britons go to church but interest in spirituality appears to be growing - whether it is in astrology or yoga, New Age thinking or native religions.

_39865761_durhamcathedral203.jpg
Some medieval cathedrals such as Durham still dominate the skyline

An opinion poll carried out for the BBC programme "What the World thinks of God" shows organised religion remains strong in the US and the Islamic world. Professor James Beckford of the University of Warwick examines the changes in society and asks why. The decline of Christianity in Britain is nothing new.

More than 130 years ago, the poet, Matthew Arnold lamented the retreat of "the sea of faith".

Since Dover Beach was written, how much further has "the sea of faith" retreated from the shores of Western Europe? Not completely, but certainly a very long way.

o.gif
Medieval churches dominated the landscape just as Christian ideas used to dominate our lives.

In today's world - in everything from economic affairs and personal morality to political, legal and cultural ideas - modern liberal Britain has new inspirations and new icons.

And traditional religion, it seems, is only for the few.

A large and growing number of people profess very few beliefs conforming to Christian orthodoxy.

Even fewer participate in the activities of Christian organisations.

There are of course still traces of Christian influence, but their significance as the driving force and guidance system of social life has plummeted. This is 'secularisation'.

Does this herald the end of religion or the death of God? No, it means that the major Christian churches are losing their former power - more rapidly in some places than others - and that competition is intensifying among the suppliers of would-be alternatives and replacements.

The race is on to re-package 'spirituality' and 'religion' for a generation of consumers who do not see themselves as church members; and if organised religion continues to fail to meet their needs, then others will provide.

What does this new generation of consumers want? There are clues in what they consume already.

Even though religion is not the most important institution or factor in social life it continues to be 'used' in many forms.

At the time of Princess Diana's death, millions wanted to lay flowers or sign books of condolences. In tragedy and disaster, religion is still a major source of symbols, sentiments and ceremonies. Pick and mix religion

But religion is also used for other purposes - the expression of joy as well as despair; or as therapy to fit around a busy, stressful life.

At the modern supermarket of faith, the consumer seeks to pick and mix religious items to match their commitment and interest.

And that brings dangers.

What should count as 'real' religion at a time when the sheer diversity of religions on offer may appear overwhelming?

Without clear guidance and regulation, who will protect the consumer from 'bogus' religions linked to exploitation or other crimes?

So what is the difference between we British and you Americans?:help:

michel said:
So what is the difference between we British and you Americans?
America is more religiously diverse, and Americans are more religious (e.g. they go to church more often, pray more often, etc). To be honest, I'm not sure why that is. I think it may have something to do with the nature of communities in America--they tend to be more closely-knit (socially, economically, and politically) than those of Europe, where the majority of people live in urban areas and the rest live in very sparsely-populated countryside.

michel said:
Fewer and fewer Britons go to church but interest in spirituality appears to be growing - whether it is in astrology or yoga, New Age thinking or native religions.
Well there's certainly nothing wrong with yoga or native religions....but I can't say I'm thrilled about an increase in astrology or "New Age thinking". :)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Americans are still far behind the Brits
The way I am seeing this, and sorry if it is wrong, is that you are saying they are ahead of us, because they are losing their christianity. Is this is so, this way of thinking is what causes fundamentalists to do what they do.

Pick and mix religion
This is the one belief system that I can't understand.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mister Emu said:
The way I am seeing this, and sorry if it is wrong, is that you are saying they are ahead of us, because they are losing their christianity. Is this is so, this way of thinking is what causes fundamentalists to do what they do.

This is the one belief system that I can't understand.
I think Mr_Spinkles probably hit the nail on the head; the main difference may well lie in the fact that America was populated by groups of immigrants (One example being the Irish) - who have tried to preserve their culture and Identity (including religion).

We in Britaim might be a diverse and multi rooted people, and have become an amalgam of 'nothingness' - except for the immigrants who are here as political asylum seekers, and economic ,igrants, who have formed their own enclaves of ethniticity - Muslims, Pakistanis, Africans and Chinese. These people have probably retained their roots, but as they are not Christian, do not show up in Christianity statistics.

As for your own comment about not understanding 'pick & Mix' - don't forget that I was there myself, not so long ago - it was only through joining this forum, and clearing up a few mis-conceptions about the Bible, the understanding of it, and the fine moral principles of Christians on this forum (Ie not as judgemental Bible thrashing 'do as I do, don't think - you aren't here to do that ) mentality that often comes out of Churches locally.:)

Voxton

·
michel said:
So what is the difference between we British and you Americans?:help:
There are too many differences to count, I'm sure. And I'm sure there are just as many ignorant, uneducated lager louts, hooligans and backward yokels in Britain, as there are ijut rednecks and hillbillies in the US -- but a notable difference is that intellectualism is more respected in Britain. Sure, they make fun of geeks and anoraks and all that, but in Britain, being intelligent isn't a dirty, snobbish, elitist thing. In the US, it pretty much is.

Damn depressing to think that the people who put a man on the moon knows less about Richard Feynman than Jerry Falwell. Ugh.