• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Blasphemy is dangerous

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Danger of Blasphemy and "freedom of speech"

I wonder when the world will wake up. I hope before a fanatic terrorist lays his hands on nukes.
1: Kim screaming to nuke USA
2: I S I S threatening Moscow
3: Pakistan telling to nuke Netherlands

Religious fanatics are dangerous, esp. when they read Quran promising 70 virgins for certain acts.

Of course I know "Islam is religion of Peace"
Of course I know "Religious Freedom" + "Freedom of Speech"
But now they start a different tune "We nuke the peace out of you"
"Freedom of Speech" might get you nuked soon

Geert Wilders started a cartoon competition [inviting American cartoonist]:

Response from "Pakistan politician":
Pakistan politician wants to NUKE the Netherlands: ‘Give me an atom bomb and I’ll wipe Holland off the face of the earth’
[IN RESPONSE TO PROPHET MUHAMMAD CARTOON COMPETITION]

https://gellerreport.com/2018/07/jihad-nuke-holland.html/

Last edited:

Mox

Dr Green Fingers
Pakistan politician wants to NUKE the Netherlands: ‘Give me an atom bomb and I’ll wipe Holland off the face of the earth’

I doubt the dutch are overly worried. Empty threats are, well, empty.

Let the silly sod vent his spleen, they can do as they like in the Netherlands, noone really cares what Pakistani politicians think. Certainly not in the UK.

PS Pakistan, we also have nukes. ;)

BSM1

What? Me worry?

I wonder when the world will wake up. I hope before a fanatic terrorist lays his hands on nukes.

Religious fanatics are dangerous, esp. when they read Quran promising 70 virgins for certain acts.

What has any of this to do with "blasphemy"? Now if you're talking "blast-phemy" that's different.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Fanatics of any ilk are dangerous. Not inciting them doesn't seem the long term solution. "Just don't flush the toilet." is somewhat impractical. Education helps I guess, but that's really long term.
Blasphemy in itself isn't dangerous. "Sticks and Stones" However, messing with the first commandment gets tricky. There's danger of cutting off our own oxygen. Step carefully.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's not blasphemy that's dangerous, but rather people's inability to react in a sane, rational manner. Freedom of speech shouldn't be curtailed just because it might set off savages.
If you want to prevent retaliatory violence, examine the cultural elements that normalize it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

You were short-changed - I believe it is 72 virgins. Blasphemy is what people deserve for setting themselves or their notions to be above criticism - of any sort.

stvdv

It's not blasphemy that's dangerous, but rather people's inability to react in a sane, rational manner. Freedom of speech shouldn't be curtailed just because it might set off savages.
If you want to prevent retaliatory violence, examine the cultural elements that normalize it.
Of course you know what I meant, but I agree that it is good to stay sharp

It's not shooting bullets that is dangerous, but rather people's body identification "that getting shot is dangerous".

stvdv

You were short-changed - I believe it is 72 virgins. Blasphemy is what people deserve for setting themselves or their notions to be above criticism - of any sort.
Thanks for the correction. I thought it was 77, but rounded it to 70. But it's a believe anyway. But seems 72 is what they believe. Remarkable high number of virgins available though. I am more inclined to believe there is a non-literal meaning to this. So many virgins anyway, they don't come from earth I think, though. Reading the news nowadays.

Earthling

David Henson
The world, including organized religion, isn't going to wake up. It's going to be completely destroyed by Jehovah God. T hat isn't my opinion, that comes from the Bible.

stvdv

Really? That's interesting. I've only ever read the Bhagavad Gita, which seemed to me like just a glorification of war. IMHO.
The Bagavad Gita as I see it is all symbolical meant. It's about the inner war in yourself. Don't let your senses rule, be a master listening to God instead. I don't know if there was a war or not [but for me even not important]. I am only interested in God, so the symbolical meaning is useful to me. And this you can also find in the Bible IMHO.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ode to the dangers of disbelief....

With me every day involves blasphemy.
Mocking your God is a blast for me.
Most thankless of jobs
brings torch bearing mobs.
Each day might become quite the last for me.

Earthling

David Henson
Interesting distinction. Might you have a reference for that?

The earth will last forever. Psalm 37:29 Ecclesiastes 1:4 Psalm 104:5

The world will be destroyed. 1 John 2:17

Of course, it isn't the first time the world has been destroyed. The flood of Noah's day for example, was an end of the world.