• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why believing in Day of Resurrection is required?

InvestigateTruth

In Quran 3 things are required by God to be admitted to Heaven.
Believing in Day of Resurrection is one of them.

Suppose someone believes God is one. He also does good deeds as an average person. But he does not believe there will ever be a Day of Resurrection.

I believe Quran says it is not acceptable to deny Resurrection!

Is it acceptable not to believe in the Day of Resurrection according to Quran?
If no, why God cares so much that one must believe in it?

Last edited:

Remté

No it isn't acceptable because the Quran warns or reminds of it as well as prophet Muhammad. Naturally rejecting the day of resurrection would be nearly as much as rejecting Allah. Because He makes sure that people are warned, if they after that don't believe they are basically disbelievers at that.

InvestigateTruth

No it isn't acceptable because the Quran warns or reminds of it as well as prophet Muhammad. Naturally rejecting the day of resurrection would be nearly as much as rejecting Allah. Because He makes sure that people are warned, if they after that don't believe they are basically disbelievers at that.
How logically make sense that God requires people to believe it when they have not seen God, nor, they had seen anyone to be resurrected.
How fair is that of a God to ask people to believe in an unbelievable thing?
Remember, Abraham asked God to show it, and He said kill some birds, and watch they get back to life again. Well, assuming this is to be taken literally, then, Abraham wanted to be sure, so God showed it to Him. What about other people? If they ask God to show them, so they may believe as well. Will God show them?! No. So, how is that fair of God logically?

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Suppose someone believes God is one. He also does good deeds as an average person. But he does not believe there will ever be a Day of Resurrection.

I also find in the Bible that Resurrection is an important belief as found at 1 Corinthians 15:12-19.
If the dead do Not have a resurrection, as per 1 Corinthians 15:32 B, then Eat and Drink because tomorrow you die.
Or, as the old saying goes, to eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
Acts of the Apostles 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection......
That future resurrection Resurrection Day means 'Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day ' of governing over Earth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How logically make sense that God requires people to believe it when they have not seen God, nor, they had seen anyone to be resurrected.
How fair is that of a God to believe in an unbelievable thing?
................... If they ask God to show them, so they may believe as well. Will God show them?! No. So, how is that fair of God logically?

I think that God does show us, Not only through Scripture ( as with father Abraham - Genesis 22:5 ) but by informing us about the current world scene as we can perceive it today even through the international news media.
I think we are nearing a coming ' time of separating ' to take place on Earth as mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.
So, just as it is written, so it was and will be. To me this means the Resurrection also will be.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

This is where I find myself at the crossroads in Islamic doctrine. I have to ask myself the serious question of why it is significant to believe in the resurrection and judgment considering that even after death and resurrection regardless of belief, you're still going to be resurrected and judged anyway? If I were to make an educated guess, the significance of believing one is going to die, be resurrected and judged relies on the psychological component that one has to be mindful of their actions in the dunya (temporal life). I believe its relationship stems from the Hadith where the prophet stated that one must "worship Allah as though you see him."

I would ask any of you level headed people here: Would you kill an innocent person in front of a police officer wearing SWAT gear? Do you believe that if you raised a weapon to kill someone you could be potentially fatally shot?

I think and again going back to my educated guess, is that believing that there is judgment after this temporal life subject to spiritual/physical consequences may in fact influence us to do good and mitigate transgression. I believe it is behind the idea that worshipping God as though you see him factors into the idea that one must act as if the Creator is specifically watching their behavior at every moment and that what you do in this life will be judged in the end. I'm sure secular moralists would say "you don't need a sky daddy to make you moral" but psychologically and it is verified in research, that the presence of an authoritative figure does indeed curb unlawful behavior. So it would not be far fetched to presuppose that if God were watching all of us as this one big giant eyeball it would have an influence of how we behave and that the belief in resurrection would be a part of that model.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

This is where I find myself at the crossroads in Islamic doctrine. I have to ask myself the serious question of why it is significant to believe in the resurrection and judgment considering that even after death and resurrection regardless of belief, you're still going to be resurrected and judged anyway? If I were to make an educated guess, the significance of believing one is going to die, be resurrected and judged relies on the psychological component that one has to be mindful of their actions in the dunya (temporal life). I believe its relationship stems from the Hadith where the prophet stated that one must "worship Allah as though you see him."

I would ask any of you level headed people here: Would you kill an innocent person in front of a police officer wearing SWAT gear? Do you believe that if you raised a weapon to kill someone you could be potentially fatally shot?

I think and again going back to my educated guess, is that believing that there is judgment after this temporal life subject to spiritual/physical consequences may in fact influence us to do good and mitigate transgression. I believe it is behind the idea that worshipping God as though you see him factors into the idea that one must act as if the Creator is specifically watching their behavior at every moment and that what you do in this life will be judged in the end. I'm sure secular moralists would say "you don't need a sky daddy to make you moral" but psychologically and it is verified in research, that the presence of an authoritative figure does indeed curb unlawful behavior. So it would not be far fetched to presuppose that if God were watching all of us as this one big giant eyeball it would have an influence of how we behave.
Some good points you have here.
So, if I make a conlusion from your view, you are saying, believing in Resurrection and Judgement Day of God is required, because, only by believing that there will be a Judgement of God, people may do well?
But do you think all those who believe in Day of Resurrection are doing better deeds, and are more righteous than all those who disbelieve it?

The thing is, if we look at history, as well as our current time, aren't there many who believe in it, and yet killed other people unjustly or atleast did some wrongdoings? And on the other hand we see, many who did not believe it, and yet were more peaceful people?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Some good points you have here.
So, if I make a conclusion from your view, you are saying, believing in Resurrection and Judgment Day of God is required, because, only by believing that there will be a Judgment of God, people may do well?

No. In theory, by God telling mankind that what they do in this temporal life will be judged may in effect curb the wrongdoing as per the Islamic/Noahide law states will in fact affect their judgment. Because we cannot comprehend incorporeal judgment or things that are spiritual with our senses it is best left to describe what the next life may entail. If I told you if you walk through door #3 that is located on the right tomorrow (mind you properly labeled) you'll most likely avoid it. Now, if I got you intentionally drunk and the same rule applies you may not abide by what I said regarding walking through that door.

Now grant it you're intoxicated so a little bit of leeway may be in order by the point is on a spectrum, people may be cognizant to rules because there is an authoritative figure watching or because they believe the rules to be true because they believe there is a real punishment behind the actions, and if that is true these people are very few. If God was corporeal and physical real and at the sight of transgression would scold someone, more than likely people would avoid doing things against God's command, but considering we do not physically see God and although some may believe he exist and believe in his laws we may continue to transgress not because we want to, but because we do not physically see the authoritative figure.

I'm not saying people are incapable of being obedient absent of physical descriptions of painful judgment, what I'm saying is that the idea of potentially being judged and condemned mentally would help curb transgression.

Remté

How fair is that of a God to ask people to believe in an unbelievable thing?
Remember, Abraham asked God to show it, and He said kill some birds, and watch they get back to life again. Well, assuming this is to be taken literally, then, Abraham wanted to be sure, so God showed it to Him. What about other people? If they ask God to show them, so they may believe as well. Will God show them?! No. So, how is that fair of God logically?
Abraham said he believed - he just wanted to see how.

Remté

Do you want to quote the verse that says, Abraham just wanted to see how?
"When Abraham said: "Show me, Lord, how You will raise the dead, " He replied: "Have you no faith?" He said "Yes, but just to reassure my heart." Allah said, "Take four birds, draw them to you, and cut their bodies to pieces. Scatter them over the mountain-tops, then call them back. They will come swiftly to you. Know that Allah is Mighty, Wise."" 2:260

InvestigateTruth

"When Abraham said: "Show me, Lord, how You will raise the dead, " He replied: "Have you no faith?" He said "Yes, but just to reassure my heart." Allah said, "Take four birds, draw them to you, and cut their bodies to pieces. Scatter them over the mountain-tops, then call them back. They will come swiftly to you. Know that Allah is Mighty, Wise."" 2:260
So, apparently Abraham needed reassure His heart. He had some faith, but needed to see to feel sure in His heart. I am sure there are many people who would want reassurance. Dont you think so? If they ask God, He will show them the show? :) .of course not. Otherwise we were having so many shows like that. So, to me literal interpretation does not make sense.
Have you seen how Rumi understood this story?

Remté

So, apparently Abraham needed reassure His heart. He had some faith, but needed to see to feel sure in His heart. I am sure there are many people who would want reassurance. Dont you think so? If they ask God, He will show them the show? :) .of course not. Otherwise we were having so many shows like that. So, to me literal interpretation does not make sense.
We have the story now.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I'm interested, I do not think I have heard how Rumi understood the metephor of that passage.

Regards Tony

InvestigateTruth

No. In theory, by God telling mankind that what they do in this temporal life will be judged may in effect curb the wrongdoing as per the Islamic/Noahide law states will in fact affect their judgment. Because we cannot comprehend incorporeal judgment or things that are spiritual with our senses it is best left to describe what the next life may entail. If I told you if you walk through door #3 that is located on the right tomorrow (mind you properly labeled) you'll most likely avoid it. Now, if I got you intentionally drunk and the same rule applies you may not abide by what I said regarding walking through that door.

Now grant it you're intoxicated so a little bit of leeway may be in order by the point is on a spectrum, people may be cognizant to rules because there is an authoritative figure watching or because they believe the rules to be true because they believe there is a real punishment behind the actions, and if that is true these people are very few. If God was corporeal and physical real and at the sight of transgression would scold someone, more than likely people would avoid doing things against God's command, but considering we do not physically see God and although some may believe he exist and believe in his laws we may continue to transgress not because we want to, but because we do not physically see the authoritative figure.

I'm not saying people are incapable of being obedient absent of physical descriptions of painful judgment, what I'm saying is that the idea of potentially being judged and condemned mentally would help curb transgression.
Sure, in some cases it helps if one believes there is a consequence.

BUT there is a Danger in to this belief. If a Person believes in Day of Resurrection, and in Oneness of God, He also does His prayers, and Fast, He thinks based on Quran he is just fine, and he will be admitted to Heaven. This is dangerous. Such people may kill other people (specially non-Muslims, or unbelievers,), lie to others, and do many wrongdoings, and still feel they will be admitted to Heaven, since the Quran says, if you believe in Resurrection and oneness of God, you are basically a believer, and you are called a Muslim, and you will be favoured. Aren't there such people?

I think if we go with the Quran, it seems to me, the reason Quran emphasizes in Day of Resurrection is in this verse:

“As for those who believe not in the verses of God, or that they shall ever meet Him, these of My mercy shall despair, and these doth a grievous chastisement await.” 29:23

So, the important thing is to believe in Meeting God. But God is invisible. How are we supposed to believe in meeting Him, when He told Moses you cannot see Me. So far He always sent Messengers. If it was possible to meet Him, why He didn't come before Himself?

Last edited: