• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why believe in Hell and not in Purgatory?

Green Kepi

Can a member of the Church of Christ explain to me your rational for not believing in the Roman Catholic doctrine of Purgatory when you believe in Hell...which is also a Roman Catholic doctrine? I have never received an answer to this question that makes sense to me.

Please do not use the King James Version of the Bible to explain your belief. Why not? Because the Version is very confusing when applying this
Hebrew word "Sheol". In the KJV it is 'all over the place' rendering the same word "hell" 31 times, "grave" 31 times and "pit" 3 times.

Ancient Israel taught of a place called "Sheol", as I noted - a dark & gloomy place, to be sure, but no elements of punishment were attached to it. Some taught after "a type of judgment" they ceased to exist...the 2nd death. Then later, the wicked dead went to a place called Gehenna by the Jews. Early reference depict it as a place of temporary punishment, similar to the Roman Catholics Purgatory.

Now...can you defend your belief and tell me why using 1 Peter 3:15 -
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect"?