• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Bahai

firedragon

Veteran Member
The Bahai faith is quite unfamiliar to me. If anyone could enlighten me why I should follow this stream of thought I will be truly grateful.

Mind you I started reading about the Bahai faith only recently so I am a novice. And the question is because I see many from the faith in this forum and not having the knowledge is not too good. I dont know if this post is valid.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It's a pretty large subject, but to try to break down how I understand it...

We have these times in Old Testament times that speak of God.

Then later, Christ comes with clarifications and new rules. It's almost like a Covenant with God, software revision 2.0

Then Bahaullah comes and clarifies, establishes, etc. Much like a Covenant with God, software revision 3.0

But that's just my limited understanding.

But all this is a pretty basic description, considering we have several manifestations of God we view as being manifestations, including Krishna.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In a nutshell, the Bahai Faith takes the Islaamic idea of refinement of previous revelations and runs with it to the next step, claiming to be the most recent (and final? I am not sure on that point) of a series of Abrahamic revelations.

It arose in the 19th century in current day Iran, amidst a Shia Muslim society. There is an intermediate creed with an separate prophet, the Bab, that shortly preceeded the Bahai Faith's Baha'u'llah.

More recent speakers with authority over the Bahai Faith have since extended the Bahai claims in order to declare that somehow the creed, despite its very Abrahamic nature, is also a successor to Zoroastrism, Buddhism and Hinduism.

They are often accused of misrepresenting other creeds. I for one agree that they do indeed misrepresent the non-Abrahamics to a grave degree.

As you may easily imagine, most Muslims consider the Bahai Faith to misrepresent Islaam as well, mainly by presenting a new revelation and a new prophet in defiance of the Qur'an. Still, these days the Bahais are among the most motivated non-Muslim defenders of the validity and reputation of Islaam.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It's a pretty large subject, but to try to break down how I understand it...

We have these times in Old Testament times that speak of God.

Then later, Christ comes with clarifications and new rules. It's almost like a Covenant with God, software revision 2.0

Then Bahaullah comes and clarifies, establishes, etc. Much like a Covenant with God, software revision 3.0

But that's just my limited understanding.

But all this is a pretty basic description, considering we have several manifestations of God we view as being manifestations, including Krishna.

Bahais believe in the Quran and Muhammed right? Do they also believe in the Hindu Scripture?

firedragon

Veteran Member
In a nutshell, the Bahai Faith takes the Islaamic idea of refinement of previous revelations and runs with it to the next step, claiming to be the most recent (and final? I am not sure on that point) of a series of Abrahamic revelations.

It arose in the 19th century in current day Iran, amidst a Shia Muslim society. There is an intermediate creed with an separate prophet, the Bab, that shortly preceeded the Bahai Faith's Baha'u'llah.

More recent speakers with authority over the Bahai Faith have since extended the Bahai claims in order to declare that somehow the creed, despite its very Abrahamic nature, is also a successor to Zoroastrism, Buddhism and Hinduism.

They are often accused of misrepresenting other creeds. I for one agree that they do indeed misrepresent the non-Abrahamics to a grave degree.

As you may easily imagine, most Muslims consider the Bahai Faith to misrepresent Islaam as well, mainly by presenting a new revelation and a new prophet in defiance of the Qur'an. Still, these days the Bahais are among the most motivated non-Muslim defenders of the validity and reputation of Islaam.

Thanks.

Do they consider "the holy book" as scripture? I mean a revelation of God?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

You forgot the Christians. Most Christians also believe they are gravely misrepresented.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Bahai faith is quite unfamiliar to me. If anyone could enlighten me why I should follow this stream of thought I will be truly grateful.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking so I will respond with what I think you are asking and if that is not what you are asking let me know.

From a Baha’i perspective, the reason to be a Baha’i is because Baha’u’llah, the Prophet Founder of the Baha’i Faith, is the “latest” Messenger from God, and He brought a message and teachings and laws that will enable you to know your true self.

“From the foregoing passages and allusions it hath been made indubitably clear that in the kingdoms of earth and heaven there must needs be manifested a Being, an Essence Who shall act as a Manifestation and Vehicle for the transmission of the grace of the Divinity Itself, the Sovereign Lord of all. Through the Teachings of this Day Star of Truth every man will advance and develop until he attaineth the station at which he can manifest all the potential forces with which his inmost true self hath been endowed. It is for this very purpose that in every age and dispensation the Prophets of God and His chosen Ones have appeared amongst men, and have evinced such power as is born of God and such might as only the Eternal can reveal.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 67-68

Baha’u’llah also brought teachings and laws that will enable you to approach God in the afterlife, after you die and your soul ascends to the spiritual world.

“The Prophets and Messengers of God have been sent down for the sole purpose of guiding mankind to the straight Path of Truth. The purpose underlying Their revelation hath been to educate all men, that they may, at the hour of death, ascend, in the utmost purity and sanctity and with absolute detachment, to the throne of the Most High.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 156-157

Those are the reasons “I think” that an individual would want to be a Baha’i. Additionally, from a Baha’i perspective the message of Baha’u’llah, the unity of mankind, is a message that the world needs in order to achieve world unity, peace and concord, because the teachings and laws of Baha’u’llah would regenerate humanity if people followed them.

Baha’u’llah wrote that all the religions will unite under one banner in the future because that is what God has ordained, but that is probably a long way off because most people already have a religion they are attached to and do not want to relinquish.

I know that is a lot of information to assimilate, but I never know when I will have the time to get back to this forum and post, so I decided to cover the most important reasons “I think” people might want to be a Baha’i. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Of course, nobody would ever want to become a Baha’i unless they thoroughly investigated Baha’u’llah, His life, His mission and His scriptures, and determined for themselves that they believe He was who He claimed to be.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You forgot Mohammad version 2.5, and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad version 3.1 (The Ahmadiyya version).
Bahais say don't use version 3.1, stick to version 3. Software not to be revised for at least 800 years.
Yes and yes.
Yes and yes. Luis said, "They are often accused of misrepresenting other creeds. I for one agree that they do indeed misrepresent the non-Abrahamics to a grave degree."
Do they consider "the holy book" as scripture? I mean a revelation of God?
Yeah, they consider the religious books of all religions good enough only to be discarded since their books represent the latest desires of Allah.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Bahais believe in the Quran and Muhammed right? Do they also believe in the Hindu Scripture?
The Hindu scriptures are vast as are the philosophical schools. The Baha'is selected Vaishnavism, (and ignored the rest) as it does have a dualistic God that could be perceived as separate from us. But the difference is that for Vaishnavites, Krishna is God, and for Baha'is He's a manifestation of God. There are many many key concepts we differ on like karma, dharma, reincarnation, non-proselytising and more. So for Hindus it's all a huge stretch.

Audie

Veteran Member
Err. Thanks for being kind guys. I think Im asking too many silly questions.

Here is a not silly question, for you:

Why would you want to go shopping for
a new superstition and then try to talk themselves
into believing it?

firedragon

Veteran Member
@adrian009

Hi Adrian. I hope I have tagged you correctly. Not very learned on this.

I read your post in response to some questions asked in another thread but I am unable to respond there and ask you questions. Thus, I hope you dont mind me asking here.

1. Since your reference links claim that the Quran is Gods word, do your scholarship also believe that the Holy Book (AL kithab al akdhas) is also Gods word? If that is the case do you consider that (since you believe respected Bahaiullah is a rasool) that rasools deliver scripture?

2. You have said that the scholarship believes the Torah to be Gods word and is preserved so far. Thus, who do you believe revealed the Torah? Was it Musa? Was it Aaron and Moses both? Who wrote it down? (All this thinking you are referring to the Pentateuch in the OT)

3. The scholarly link you have given quotes the Quran mentioning the "Gospel" and generalises that to the whole Bible. Is that the position? Do you consider the whole New Testament as the "Gospel" or any other view is present?

4. Respectable Abdul Baha has said this

"You must know the Old and New Testaments as the Word of God"[24] ('Abdu'l-Bahá)

"Surely the Bible is the book of God"[25] ('Abdu'l-Bahá)

But your scholarly reference also states a lot of doubt in the bible. Is there any way you can state clearly?

I hope this is not too much work. Haha. After all, you do have your life to tend to. If you have time only.

Thanks in advance.

Peace.

Audie

Veteran Member
You forgot the Christians. Most Christians also believe they are gravely misrepresented.

Most? This is determined, how?

To the extent that they may feel that way, though,
it is understandable.

EVERY single christian on RF has a different,
sometimes radically different idea of what it is
to be a christian.