• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Attempt to Share...?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would one attempt to share personal understandings with those not ready or unwilling to learn?

I haven't seen too many with knowledge in quantum mechanics or nuclear physics attempting to teach these studies to toddlers and preschoolers.

So why do some here attempt to share their personal experiential understandings with those who are clearly not ready to or are unwilling to learn.

I mean you don't see me prancing about the forum telling members here that they would be far more comfortable walking around in plaid argyle socks, orange capris, and paisley silk shirts, do you??

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I mean you don't see me prancing about the forum telling members here that they would be far more comfortable walking around in plaid argyle socks, orange capris, and paisley silk shirts, do you??

It breaks up the monotone of things like posting hit-and-run news article links, etc.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why would one attempt to share personal understandings with those not ready or unwilling to learn?

I haven't seen too many with knowledge in quantum mechanics or nuclear physics attempting to teach these studies to toddlers and preschoolers.

So why do some here attempt to share their personal experiential understandings with those who are clearly not ready to or are unwilling to learn.

How do you know they are not ready until you try? Maybe obvious after the fact.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I agree about 99% of the time. There are rare occasions when someone will remember something later on when it's useful.

But in a debate situation, such as RF, there are presumably at least a very few people who might read a post who are interested in making up their own minds.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

My understanding is that life is a school and learning is not always what we think it is. We are learning every second, every moment - whether negative or positive things.

Who is to judge who is not ready to hear? I first heard the word Baha’i years before I accepted it but hearing it put me in touch mentally with an available option should I ever wish to pursue it which eventually I did.

45 years later and a stable inter racial marriage of 41 years I am eternally forever grateful to that person who mentioned the name Baha’i to me even though they were effectively teaching ‘quantum mechanics or nuclear physics to a toddler’.

I think ego and pride is the only one that says we can’t learn or that anything new should not be shared for I once was completely unaware as many here are still of the life changing forces within Baha’u’llah’s teachings so my ego and pride told me it was a whole lot of rubbish until I stopped listening to myself and opened my mind and heart.

In a seed do we see the tree or fruit? But in time a tree with fruit does appear. We could say the seed is useless and not worth planting because it is so small but it’s potential, like humans is far reaching so I personally don’t think a person is ever not ready to hear but that when a seed is planted in time it will grow.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Why not? It far more polite to do it on a forum where people expect it then in real life when we are to busy to be bothered. In the forum I can chose to ignore your post or actually block you from my view.

This is the best place to prance around and tell people everything because everyone can just ignore and you can have fun with the ones that don't.

:dancers: :tophat: :pandaface:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
This is the best place to prance around and tell people everything because everyone can just ignore and you can have fun with the ones that don't.

And if it isn't welcome or no one's interested, generally people will eventually take the hint - because most likely, in such a case, no one will respond to their thread and it won't get (m)any likes either.

Nimos

A lot seems to be wrong with this statement :)

What knowledge are you talking about? and also how do you know that they are not ready? And last have you demonstrated that what you are trying to share is actually correct?

... just wondering :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So it's a "let me bounce this off you" kind of thing?

:) I see it more you throw out a line and see if anyone responds. It may not even be the person you are directly responding to yourself.

Also folks on the forums tend to influence each other. Maybe not as often directly but in common ideas that evolve over time.

One never knows in posting a thought or idea on the forums for far reaching its effect might end up being.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I also think that if anyone doesn’t like having information about other Faiths or beliefs shared with them then there is DIR forums, but the religious debates section is for just that to share differing viewpoints and learn from one another.

So on religious forums there is both options to suit both tastes.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not? It far more polite to do it on a forum where people expect it then in real life when we are to busy to be bothered. In the forum I can chose to ignore your post or actually block you from my view.

:dancers: :tophat: :pandaface:
But you can't ignore staff. <insert villainous laughter>

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think putting yourself out there is almost...almost as valuable an activity as learning to read the room. Not just as the person putting themselves out there sharing where it's not wanted either. If you go to the Evolution v Creationism forum hoping to get a productive sharing session that's not a euphamism for 'attack the opponent position until it's dead' then you're probably going to have a bad time.

In other words, people need to manage their expectations when sharing.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I think it is more fear based. Christians too have extreme difficulty in many forums I’ve been to in accepting those who think differently to them and just don’t want to hear it. And if you do speak out then they ban you so they don’t have to go outside their comfort zone. Part fear, part prejudice, part bigotry. Mostly ignorance though.

Religions have never had good relations so often each religion doesn’t want to hear the others viewpoint. The one problem with that here is that religious forums debates section is engineered for sharing viewpoints to learn from each other so if some don’t feel comfortable then there’s always DIR for them.

But in the religious debates section hard questions will be asked of anything and everything.