• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why atheism isn't immoral

dannerz

I believe that positive action and improvements are more important than worshipping a specific god or believing in some kind of god. Those gods are not here with us to interact with. We are earthly beings, not beings in heaven. Our job down here is to try to cope and improve. It's not easy, either. Believing the sky is blue wont make you a better person, for example. This principle applies to people believing in this or that god. Yes beliefs effect us and how we think, but they are of secondary importance. I'm suggesting that utility is more important that neutral facts. So for this reason, atheism isn't immoral.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I believe in a divine source, and also am involved with ritual and religious communities. However, I completely agree with how we treat one another and can improve this world are more important than obsessing over rituals, beliefs, or an afterlife.

dannerz

I believe in a divine source, and also am involved with ritual and religious communities. However, I completely agree with how we treat one another and can improve this world are more important than obsessing over rituals, beliefs, or an afterlife.
I agree but I have nothing to add at this time.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Atheism, just like theism, is fundamentally amoral. Gods may exist and their followers may be sadistic pricks or humanists. Gods may not exist and you may give to charity or burn charities down. Belief in the existence of deity is no indication on individual morality.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Of course atheists are immoral. Atheists are drunken, drug-addled sluts and sex-freaks who reject god so that they can continue living lives of sin and hedonism. What do you expect from a group of lunatics who think all of our grandparents were monkeys?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of course atheists are immoral. Atheists are drunken, drug-addled sluts and sex-freaks who reject god so that they can continue living lives of sin and hedonism. What do you expect from a group of lunatics who think all of our grandparents were monkeys?

I also have it on the very best authority that atheists are all social misfits, too. I don't know what's worse: Their obvious immorality, or their lack of proper social graces. In either case, they're damned.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I also have it on the very best authority that atheists are all social misfits, too. I don't know what's worse: Their obvious immorality, or their lack of proper social graces. In either case, they're damned.

I'm not saying I'll be saying "I told you so," when they're all burning in hell for eternity, but it's their own damn fault, and all of us good, god-fearing folk will be celebrating that we don't have to share heaven with them.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Talk about immorality! I hear you! I knew an atheist woman once. She was intelligent, kind, and beautiful, but all she could think of was sex. Sex. Sex. Every time we were together, she demanded sex. She'd show up with nothing on, or wearing only the skimpiest of panties and bra. Sometimes she'd bring handcuffs and want me to tie her up. Hell, Trout, it got so bad, that I finally had to divorce her. And we'd only been married a week!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Talk about immorality! I hear you! I knew an atheist woman once. She was intelligent, kind, and beautiful, but all she could think of was sex. Sex. Sex. Every time we were together, she demanded sex. She'd show up with nothing on, or wearing only the skimpiest of panties and bra. Sometimes she'd bring handcuffs and want me to tie her up. Hell, Trout, it got so bad, that I finally had to divorce her. And we'd only been married a week!

Thank god you got away from that demon-spawned harlot! What could possibly be going through such a person's mind, that they are willing to throw away a perfectly godly marriage just for the sake of constant, intense carnal pleasure?

dannerz

The near death experience records I've read tend to portray god as a less punishing and judgemental entity. Lots of love, no hate. I do believe in hell, but not the way you seem to. One of the problems with divinity religions is that "God" has so many poor quality "channels", authorities and knowers, that we end up with some crazy crap instead of the truth about God, of which I am sure is more complex than the truth about the earth or sciences for example. Why would God hate his own creation, or torture it? Wouldn't it be better to try to heal or repair it, give it guidance. If he is all knowing, he knows how to cure every problem, if need be.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Mind-stuff can't be immoral, you're the only one it effects, and you are the only one morally judging it.

Action-stuff can be immoral, it effects other moral-judgers.

LeannaBard

Agnostic Atheist
I don't see how atheism can be either moral or immoral. It is completely amoral in my opinion. How could not being convinced that a claim is true be immoral?

I don't see how atheism can be either moral or immoral. It is completely amoral in my opinion. How could not being convinced that a claim is true be immoral?

Well, if you believe the Abrahamic God is real then it could be immoral.

If you are an anti-theist and believe theistic religion to be inherently harmful then it would be moral.

Whether it is immoral, amoral or moral depends on other aspects of your morality.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Well, if you believe the Abrahamic God is real then it could be immoral.

If you are an anti-theist and believe theistic religion to be inherently harmful then it would be moral.

Whether it is immoral, amoral or moral depends on other aspects of your morality.
Even if the abrahamic God is real, why would not believing in him be immoral?

Even if the abrahamic God is real, why would not believing in him be immoral?

Ask Him, His rule.

If someone believes this instruction then atheism would be immoral.

It's not my opinion, just an example. All morality is subjective and based on other beliefs, so atheism can logically be moral, amoral or immoral.

IndigoStorm

Atheists are the most intelligent beings in the universe. Of course there is a god but it sure as hell isn't your biblical caricature. The Cosmos is god. At least we know the Cosmos exists and has since the beginning of time. The Cosmos is made up of positive energy so If you emit positive vibes the Cosmos will reward you by sending back positive energy to you. On the flip side, if you continually emit negative vibes, these will be returned to you fourfold. Some call it prayer.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Ask Him, His rule.

If someone believes this instruction then atheism would be immoral.

It's not my opinion, just an example. All morality is subjective and based on other beliefs, so atheism can logically be moral, amoral or immoral.
I don't believe that God cares much about belief in him. Why do you think he would, apart from what is claimed about God in various writings?