• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Arrogant "New Atheists" Annoy Me

Rational Agnostic

This may be a surprising thread coming from myself, an agnostic, who probably fits many definitions of "atheist." However, I'd like to address my opinion of many individuals in the atheist community, particularly young people who have left the church and been influenced by the New Atheist movement. The arrogance of many of them is laughable. Many of them seem to think that because they have read "The God Delusion" or some such book, that they are now somehow enlightened and intellectually superior to the rest of the population who are not atheists. This is certainly not true, and it is somewhat laughable and somewhat disconcerting, because falsely believing oneself to be smarter than one actually is can lead to a lessened desire for learning new things. Many of these young "new atheist" types are deluding themselves into the belief that they are thinking for themselves, when in actuality, they are simply letting popular atheists like Dawkins, Harris et. al. do their thinking for them.

There are many theistic intellectuals that I can guarantee were much more intelligent than any of the know-it-all atheist keyboard warriors of today. For instance, Rene Descartes, Blaise Pascal, and Isaac Newton were all brilliant mathematicians (definitely some of the smartest people in all of recorded history) and also devout Christian believers. The point of my post is to simply offer my opinion on many of the atheists, particularly young atheists, that are found so abundantly on the Internet today and seem to love looking down their noses at others whose beliefs differ from theirs. The fact is, you're not as smart as you think you are, so don't forget to listen to the thoughts of others, and keep an open mind.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I share your staunch disapproval of arrogance, but I would like to point out that arrogance is not a problem confined to any particular group. There are people on all sides of any issue who approach it arrogantly. The core problem here is not atheism, nor New Atheism, but human nature.

Many New atheist types who consider themselves enlightened and highly rational do tend to be remarkably ignorant and irrational on the topic of religion.

As soon as they hear/read something negative about religion their 'scepticism' and 'freethinking' magically evaporates into the most credulous form of groupthink.

Much to my chagrin, I used to be exactly like that :oops:

Curious George

Veteran Member
This may be a surprising thread coming from myself, an agnostic, who probably fits many definitions of "atheist." However, I'd like to address my opinion of many individuals in the atheist community, particularly young people who have left the church and been influenced by the New Atheist movement. The arrogance of many of them is laughable. Many of them seem to think that because they have read "The God Delusion" or some such book, that they are now somehow enlightened and intellectually superior to the rest of the population who are not atheists. This is certainly not true, and it is somewhat laughable and somewhat disconcerting, because falsely believing oneself to be smarter than one actually is can lead to a lessened desire for learning new things. Many of these young "new atheist" types are deluding themselves into the belief that they are thinking for themselves, when in actuality, they are simply letting popular atheists like Dawkins, Harris et. al. do their thinking for them.

There are many theistic intellectuals that I can guarantee were much more intelligent than any of the know-it-all atheist keyboard warriors of today. For instance, Rene Descartes, Blaise Pascal, and Isaac Newton were all brilliant mathematicians (definitely some of the smartest people in all of recorded history) and also devout Christian believers. The point of my post is to simply offer my opinion on many of the atheists, particularly young atheists, that are found so abundantly on the Internet today and seem to love looking down their noses at others whose beliefs differ from theirs. The fact is, you're not as smart as you think you are, so don't forget to listen to the thoughts of others, and keep an open mind.
Hmmm, that hasn't really been my experience. I definitely do not fit with the new atheist crowd of atheists, but I haven't necessarily picked up on any higher level of arrogance from that crowd than others. Perhaps, I am more clueless to the cues.

Are we talking subtle language or literally saying "I am smarter than you?"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Aye, gimme that good ole time atheism.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Often recent "converts" to anything are quite strident when it comes to their beliefs. It is nothing new that some people will act this way. Just as those that just quit smoking often react almost violently when people smoke around them newly declared atheists often react in a similar way when exposed to religion. Give them time.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I thought the "New Atheist" thing died out. It was really "a thing" a decade ago. I mostly see it criticized among atheists, especially for its sexism these days. Dawkins has made a laughingstock of himself with his stupidity on social media making him look like someone's bigoted grandpa while he reweets neo-Nazis, Harris is basically an Islamophobic neocon who supports torture and pretends to be a philosopher while hypocritically hawking watered down Buddhism, Hitchens is dead (he was also a despicable warmonger) and who knows what Dennett is doing. It was basically a movement of uppity white men to make themselves feel superior.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

You having a laugh? They are just making up for all the centuries when the religious held sway - it's freedom time! :D :D :D

Speaking as another agnostic.

PS Of course I quite liked The God Delusion - no problems with that - since I agreed with it mostly. I have the Harris book but haven't read it since I will no doubt agree with that too, so what's the point. I already had my belief or non-belief all worked out before reading any of these.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

In person?

PureX

Veteran Member
I share your staunch disapproval of arrogance, but I would like to point out that arrogance is not a problem confined to any particular group. There are people on all sides of any issue who approach it arrogantly. The core problem here is not atheism, nor New Atheism, but human nature.
I agree, and youth does seem to be a factor. For some reason young people have a tendency not to understand how little they actually know. So that when they do manage to learn a few things in life, they think they suddenly 'know it all'. In time, hopefully, they will come to realize that with each new bit of knowledge they acquire comes a whole new set of increasingly difficult questions to be asked.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For some reason young people have a tendency not to understand how little they actually know. So that when they do manage to learn a few things in life, they think they suddenly 'know it all'. In time, hopefully, they will come to realize that with each new bit of knowledge they acquire comes a whole new set of increasingly difficult questions to be asked.

It seems to me that every generation repeats the mistakes of the generations that came before it. In the end, some learn some don't. Same story, told over and over again with each generation.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The kids are alright.

They have the energy, and I like what is being called arrogance. I like it in anybody that can deliver. I loved it in John Lennon, Muhammad Ali, and Joe Namath.

I'm hoping to see more of the same from the kids. Love what their doing with gun control.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

You are really Giles Fraser and I claim the £1000!

Here’s my Thought for the Day: stop sneering and keep the faith, BBC | Giles Fraser

To the overpaid panjandrums of the BBC, religion is for the little people, for the stupid and the gullible. And it’s easy to play this for laughs to a gallery of those who have read a few chapters of the Selfish Gene, and think this has turned them into philosophical giants.

:D :p :D

Edit: Or perhaps you are one of Gray's disciples - why the equally sneering attitude to any atheists? Or perhaps a devout Christian in disguise? Whatever it is - it's certainly just as pathetic. And even dimwits can diss religion, so why mention the cleverness?

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Your better of being annoyed a math, and hating it.

Intelligence has never been a measure of which religion or alternate beliefs people choose.

In my view there is nothing more arrogant than believing one's church or Religion is true and all others are false. Being arrogantly devout is not the exclusive attitude of atheists only.

Biggest problem here is false generalizations of what others believe and why.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I thought the "New Atheist" thing died out. It was really "a thing" a decade ago. I mostly see it criticized among atheists, especially for its sexism these days. Dawkins has made a laughingstock of himself with his stupidity on social media making him look like someone's bigoted grandpa while he reweets neo-Nazis, Harris is basically an Islamophobic neocon who supports torture and pretends to be a philosopher while hypocritically hawking watered down Buddhism, Hitchens is dead (he was also a despicable warmonger) and who knows what Dennett is doing. It was basically a movement of uppity white men to make themselves feel superior.

I'm no longer able to use the "funny" frubal in an ironic way, so let me just say, your post is positively bursting with logical fallacies. We can start with ad hominem. An argument should be assessed on its own merits, not on the merits of whoever made the argument. So even if your assessment of the new atheists was correct, it in no invalidates the arguments they've made.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The point of my post is to simply offer my opinion on many of the atheists, particularly young atheists, that are found so abundantly on the Internet today and seem to love looking down their noses at others whose beliefs differ from theirs. The fact is, you're not as smart as you think you are, so don't forget to listen to the thoughts of others, and keep an open mind.

Some examples would be useful.

That said, much of religion is based on lies and is intellectually dishonest. It's one thing for a theist to say: "I acknowledge that I don't have any good evidence, and that taken in isolation some of my religious beliefs are hard to defend logically." It's quite another for a religious person to claim that somehow their beliefs can be defended logically.

For any person who's learning how to think to notice that religious beliefs are often not logically defensible is a good thing, and not an easy thing to realize in modern society. If religious people were more honest, this probably wouldn't be such a big deal.

Phantasman

I have no problem with true Atheism. It's a choice.

But many who attack religious beliefs just show an insecurity with their own beliefs. If someone says they don't believe in God because he/she has no proof of him, that's fine with me. I have no proof that is going to change their mind even if they ask.

But usually, some "atheists" are just anti-Christian. Anti means against. Just as I am not anti-Atheist.

Each side travels a path to the end. During that trek, I would rather have them as a friend than an enemy. It's called respect for the individual, not the choice.