• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Aren't You Praying to End COVID-19?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
While I do agree that one may not attribute the continuance of Covid-19 to a lack of prayer, I believe that I have not heard of anyone praying it would go away.
I'm sorry to hear that. I know many who do.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
So if you pray for these, and you feel that prayer has an impact on these, then why not just pray for the end of COVID-19? Or at least for a vaccine?

Dear SalixIncendium

My answer to that, will unlikely make sense to all, but I can give it regardless in case you really do wish to understand why I pray as I do.

If I knew you and your background, I could try to phrase it in terms that you yourself might have encountered but, as I don’t, this attempt will have to do.

How I pray is based on the following idea:
  • Physical existence (worldliness) is limited by laws of physics*; i.e. physicality sets boundaries for what can and cannot be/happen.
  • All that can [happen] must occur. All worldly potential will - at some point, somewhere within worldliness - manifest itself. And someone** will experience it.
  • You must go through/experience what is before you. The Divine will not change it, but it can help you change yourself.
(*) Chosen by the Divine to be tested.
(**) Anyone, that is. Because in the Divine, consciousness is One and it does not much matter whose physicality It experiences through.

Such beliefs is why I pray as I do.

Humbly
Hermit

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not when I wasn't asked to provide examples where prayer didn't work.

Besides, someone already did that.

Unless you are assuming or implying I'm stating that all prayers work, which would be just plain silly based on the thread's premise and what I've already said in this thread.
I must have misread previous posts then - as seeing this as evidence for prayers working. :oops:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone can say a prayer, though. What is the mechanism that things prayer and others work?

Is it strong intention?
Saying it in the right tone?
What's the connection?

I suppose the mechanisms are belief, intent, and action.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Last edited:

chinu

chinu
I'm assuming none of you are praying that COVID-19 ends, because it's still here and the cases are mounting?

So why aren't you praying?
Perhaps, COVID-19 viruses / bacteria that are praying for food and shelter at this time -- outnumbers the number of humans praying to end COVID-19 at this time. :)

chinu

chinu
Is it within God's power to do so?
Of course, it is.

But, sadly COVID-19 viruses / bacteria that are praying for food and shelter at this time -- outnumbers the number of humans praying to end COVID-19 at this time. :)

pearl

Of course, it is.

I think that would depend on where one is at in their faith. For me in a crises prayer is believing in the presence of God with me, I am not alone, not in despair but in hope whatever the outcome.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Can you give me an example where they have NOT worked (and there could be no other explanation)
Interesting that you throw my question back, if you were confident you'd answer it. Anyway,

All those people who prayed for a Trump victory.
My religious friend who prayed for her husband and he still died.

More here...
When Prayer Fails

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Very clever, I see what you did then.

I take it as a NO, since you have no examples.

I told you it didn't work and you are proving it.
You believe this, I know the truth. That is the difference
IF believing so makes you happy THEN I am happy for you

I follow RF Rule #8; I am not trying to convert you away from your convictions:
Similarly, attempting to convert others away from their religion, spiritual convictions, or sect/denomination will also be considered a form of preaching