• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't you in danger?

agorman

Premium Member
Some have an innate nature to attack, to mock, to accuse, to reflect. I don't consider these sorts of entities ("light ones" included) as fully conscious. They are programs designed to react based on your personality and attitude. If you have flaws, they will be targeted. That is why many seek the darkness, because it's not just unconditional love and acceptance. It's a chance at transformation.

As Jung put it, "I'd rather be whole than good".

Well AFAIK they are living entities like us and not robots/programs, but you're right; they're not fully conscious. BTW, we aren't fully conscious either :D

Anyway, isn't it better to try to come in contact with entities known as "good" and ask them about our flaws? Wouldn't it be a nicer way to learn?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Well AFAIK they are living entities like us and not robots/programs, but you're right; they're not fully conscious. BTW, we aren't fully conscious either :D

Anyway, isn't it better to try to come in contact with entities known as "good" and ask them about our flaws? Wouldn't it be a nicer way to learn?
Seeing as most "good" entities do the whole unconditional love thing, not really. Sometimes problems require tough love or just plain ol' conflict to resolve.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Assuming these entities existed, what would define them as good or bad? It would seem that what we perceive as bad may really be due to weakness on our part. Good and bad have no meaning free of humanity, and these entities are obviously not human.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's the catch, isn't it? What defines something as good/bad? I'd say it's all relative, though others feel there are unequivocally good/bad entities out there in an objective sense.

In some cases, I can definitely see that perceiving something as "bad" is a projection of our own weaknesses. Or perhaps weakness is not always the right word... sometimes it can be simple cultural conditioning and it would not be accurate to engage in self-blame.

I like what Gjallarhorn says about the occasional necessity of conflict to reach a resolution. That's an idea that's uncomfortable to some, particularly the conflict-averse and pacifistic. I wonder if those people ought to be working with "darker" entities in the first place (or doing shadow work of the ego/mind, if that's how you want to spin it instead). On the other hand, some folks like the challenge. Perhaps it boils down a personality or dispositional thing. Perhaps those who don't call on the "dark" side cannot understand those who do just as the extrovert has a hard time understanding why the introvert needs quiet alone time?

Pardon if some of this is incomprehensible. My thoughts are somewhat scattered at the moment. It's either the energy work I was practicing earlier today, the euphoria of the very nice day we have, or the caffeine and sugar of this Mt. Dew I'm drinking. :D

Kemble

However you seem content where you are, a slave to the creations of your mind which seem directly funded by society's commonly shared subjective truths. And where you are is certainly much easier.

I really like looking at how folks construct their own personal narratives and place a tremendous amount of agency to their roles in them than they actually have. Fascinating stuff. For those without a knee-jerk dismissive reaction, my link to the introspection illusion is a great illustration of some of the mechanisms involved in this. You can't gain traction reclaiming agency without understanding the specific ways unconscious-mind/culture/society restrain it. Or as moral philosopher Jonathan Haidt' stated, your conscious mind is only an advocate/defense-attorney for what your larger unconscious is choosing for you in the background.

Premium Member
It is significantly easier to find a place in your subjective reality where you play a simple (though of course overly important) role rather than taking initiative and controlling your reality. It's like having depression and deciding to just be sad and eventually kill yourself / wither away vs trying to change your thinking patterns and taking control of your mind and such.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
sheeple.png

That picture's TOO TRUE, omg

Kemble

It is significantly easier to find a place in your subjective reality where you play a simple (though of course overly important) role rather than taking initiative and controlling your reality. It's like having depression and deciding to just be sad and eventually kill yourself / wither away vs trying to change your thinking patterns and taking control of your mind and such.

Oh yeah, I usually have almost no patience with folks touting their Unverified Personal Gnosis (UPG). But overtly telling someone "you're delusional" doesn't accomplish (1)sketching the phenomenon of conviction/ideology in a realistic way, and (2) puts the UPG-as-reality person on the defensive since they have already so strongly wedded their personal sense of identity to their ideological narrative. Most importantly, it creates a false "us" vs "them" because, in a very real way, every single one of us does this and gets caught up in the same motivated reasoning daily and in our own unique ways.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Damn me and being scrupulous, but I can't abide the comparison to depression because it perpetuates some dangerous misconceptions about mental illness. Having a mental illnesses is not a matter of deciding be that way, and correcting them isn't as simple as willing it away or changing your thinking patterns. Please, please, please don't say that. We have enough folks already who don't take mental illnesses seriously and fail to seek treatment (and thus fail to get better). Maybe it wasn't intended to reference clinical depression, but I read something about this recently and it has piqued my sensitivity to the issue again. >_> People with depression need to seek help. They should never be told "oh, just think positive." It really, truly doesn't work that way.

Premium Member
Um, I have clinical depression. Seeing someone was useless, medication was useless, understanding the mind was miraculous. After about five years of practice I can pull myself out of most slumps at least enough to deal, even got sober from pain medication in this state. So no, thinking positive is not enough, you have to be very active against it. No need to pay someone to pretend to care or take drugs, the comparison is perfect.

Premium Member
And people wonder why I'm so proud and "arrogant". ******* pathetic, take some initiative.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My apologies, I didn't know. >_> Like I said, I read something about it recently so it's made me more sensitive and aware again. Regardless, treatments are not one-size-fits all, and it's good you found something that worked for you. I have friends and relations who were well served by conventional approaches, so it really just depends.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I'm not sure I would say there is fear going on here. I would say that the person has their box they like to think in, and they will keep thinking in it.

Yes, most people do think inside their own little boxes. What LHP philosophies like the Temple of Set and others do is take you out of that little box and places you in a universe of limitless potential, where all things become possible and you only limit yourself by what you think you can and cannot do. Yes there is a certain amount of danger to the psyche, this is why it is important to keep one foot firmly in the objective universe and the other in the subjective universe.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Yes, most people do think inside their own little boxes. What LHP philosophies like the Temple of Set and others do is take you out of that little box and places you in a universe of limitless potential, where all things become possible and you only limit yourself by what you think you can and cannot do. Yes there is a certain amount of danger to the psyche, this is why it is important to keep one foot firmly in the objective universe and the other in the subjective universe.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Actually they put in yet another box of symbols to play with, as do all magical traditions, even Chaos Magick (RIP).

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Actually they put in yet another box of symbols to play with, as do all magical traditions, even Chaos Magick (RIP).

Actually you don't know what the hell your talking about, but, if that is how you really think, then why the f*** are you on the LHP DIR? Trying to save our souls from eternal damnation? Go troll some other DIR, we have no use for you here!

/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Actually you don't know what the hell your talking about, but, if that is how you really think, then why the f*** are you on the LHP DIR? Trying to save our souls from eternal damnation? Go troll some other DIR, we have no use for you here!

/Adramelek\

Touchy touchy...:sarcastic