• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't you an anarchist?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
There's been a recent outbreak of threads like this, and I thought that the fringier parties should get their own threads too.

So, why are you not an anarchist?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I refuse to be just one more narchist in a whole bunch of narchists. I want to be Thenarcist.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Whenever I run into a self-described anarchist, I automatically assume the person is not a particularly deep thinker as they have not actually thought out what an anarchistic "system" would be like.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Whenever I run into a self-described anarchist, I automatically assume the person is not a particularly deep thinker as they have not actually thought out what an anarchistic "system" would be like.
the thing about 'ideology' is that it's about 'ideals.'

My ideology is anarchist (syndicalist, ala Kropotkin), as I believe (based in what to me is strong evidence) that any and every large permanent organization or system is and/or should be suspect, as it concentrates wealth and power in the hands of a few, some of whom are pathologically anti-social.

Pragmatically, I don't see any way of implementing anarchism that I would support on a large scale. Democracy is clear the worst possible political system...except for all the rest; therefore, I support democracy, with all it faults...

Duke_Leto

the thing about 'ideology' is that it's about 'ideals.'

My ideology is anarchist (syndicalist, ala Kropotkin), as I believe (based in what to me is strong evidence) that any and every large permanent organization or system is and/or should be suspect, as it concentrates wealth and power in the hands of a few, some of whom are pathologically anti-social.

Pragmatically, I don't see any way of implementing anarchism that I would support on a large scale. Democracy is clear the worst possible political system...except for all the rest; therefore, I support democracy, with all it faults...

Do you think society should reject large organizations of all types?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Do you think society should reject large organizations of all types?
That would be my ideal, yes. Pragmatically, I think society should be very wary of the power and wealth it allows to accumulate, whether in government or in the so-called private sector. Wealth and power breeds corruption and self-serving behavior.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's been a recent outbreak of threads like this, and I thought that the fringier parties should get their own threads too.

What an original idea for a thread !!!

Anarchy would let the criminal element run rampant....they
just wouldn't be called "Mr President" or "Congressman".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I find the need for a social contract (or more likely, several operating at different scopes and levels of overlap) to be much too obvious for anarchism to be a good fit for me.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I probably would be. My teachers I suppose because of my general attitude towards authority and various class projects I turn in made comments to that effect.

I suppose I accept society needs at least a minimum framework to function effectively. Anarchist seems to be what many view the libertarian to be. Lack of government, lack of regulation, lack of compassion and caring for the impoverished, lack of gun control. Uh, well they are right about that last one.

I suppose one has to pick a "party" that mostly fits their views even if that fit is not perfect.

Anarchy is a position of not recognizing any authority. Hey, I'm there. I'm very anti-authoritarian.

Yet I recognize the need for police and government in the preservation of individual rights.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is there some sort of litmus test for whether someone might have anarchist tendencies without necessarily realizing it?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I view it will inevitably collapse into either mob rule or authoritarianism without checks and balances to prevent it from doing so. A 'micro law' or 'lawless' society is a ****ty place to be if you're a minority.