• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you so interested in my views and beliefs?

Cooky

Veteran Member
What criteria do you use to determine who to talk with if their opinion isn't congruent to how you see the new testament?

It kind of makes it a one man's conversation if you speak to those you agree with or has the same interpretation of the NT as you?

As a no christian interested in your faith, I'd be interested in Your experiences and what You believe is true. That's different than arguing with peers as to whether jesus said worship on sat or sun.

But if you're interested in what someone else believes, are you critiquing or taking notes? Are you looking for connections, or looking for potential flaws? The purpose of this I find great curiosity in.. But that's just me. Perhaps I'm being selfish asking such questions, but I struggle to see the lure of such partakings.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Well, @Conscious thoughts, I know this is directed more towards those who are negative in their interactions with you. Know that I follow your posts because I do find the quest for truth an exciting thing. I've seen your opinions and thoughts on things change over time... Mine have, too.

The only thing I might add is that I would disagree that feeling pushed when presented with negativity is a weakness. Considering the positions you disagree with, or even strongly dislike is simply part of being empathetic. Empathy isn't strictly reserved for people you understand already, but allows you to consider things you've never considered before in seeking understanding.

It can be treacherous to entertain those thoughts if you are an empathetic person, though, if you aren't grounded. It seems like Islam has helped you find your footing, though. :)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I ask this question because i wonder why people are so interested in my religious belief (Or lack of it according to some people). I am not in RF to push my belief onto you. I am here to learn.
Yes my belief in Islam and sufi path may be different than yours. And yes i do not follow Qur'an to the letter. I think for my self even i surrender to Allah, he given me the brain to think with, to ask my self question needed to understand deeper wisdom from within the teaching.

I see the Islamic teaching as a guideline to how i should live my life. Not how i should tell you how you should live your life. So even we disagree i will not push your view away, only answer from my understanding of Islam or sufi teaching.

I realized that asking questions in other than abrahamic Dir in this time only will backfire.
So Abrahamic Dir will be my future place to ask questions.
It has been interesting watching your life develop

LightofTruth

What criteria do you use to determine who to talk with if their opinion isn't congruent to how you see the new testament?

It kind of makes it a one man's conversation if you speak to those you agree with or has the same interpretation of the NT as you?

As a no christian interested in your faith, I'd be interested in Your experiences and what You believe is true. That's different than arguing with peers as to whether jesus said worship on sat or sun.
There are two main criteria I go by in order to understand the doctrines of the Bible. The first is that I believe the Bible to be accurate and trustworthy. And that Scripture ought to be consistent throughout. The second is reason. That what is taught is reasonable and logically understood.

LightofTruth

Confirmation bias only, please?

Do you figure that accurate truthful etc is abcolute, or that some of it might be only
approximately true?

You would not be likely to understand
how i could say this, but I as an
atheist have more belief in the bible's
trustworthiness than your typical
"Believer" has.

But then, you said you are not interested.

Some spend a lifetime looking to discredit the Bible. "There was never a flood". "Jesus didn't raise from the dead"...etc.

Audie

Veteran Member
Some spend a lifetime looking to discredit the Bible. "There was never a flood". "Jesus didn't raise from the dead"...etc.

Nonsense.
First, its only about the myths that some
think are history. Nothing to discredit the Bible.
Or against god.

Second, the work was done before I was born.
No effort needed. Shooting dead fish in a bsrrel.

The lifetime of effort is put into pretending the
creationist dumpster is not on fire.

LightofTruth

Nonsense.
First, its only about the myths that some
think are history. Nothing to discredit the Bible.
Or against god.

Second, the work was done before I was born.
No effort needed. Shooting dead fish in a bsrrel.

The lifetime of effort is put into pretending the
creationist dumpster is not on fire.
Certainly it's to discredit the Bible. I was born at night, but not last night.

Audie

Veteran Member
Certainly it's to discredit the Bible. I was born at night, but not last night.

So ya thinks thats something??

Well, I may have been born yesterday,
but it sure was not in the morninging!

If, as appears to be the case, you
do not distinguish between observing
that one particular selected interpretation
of a mysterious book is at total variance
with every single datum point ever, and,
trying to " discredit " an entire and
highly varied book, well, that is just sad.

IOW, for those born later, just coz you
read something wrong doesn't mean the
book is wrong.

Oh, and making up motives for others
is kind of dishonest. See the section
on false witness, and learn.

LightofTruth

So ya thinks thats something??

Well, I may have been born yesterday,
but it sure was not in the morninging!

If, as appears to be the case, you
do not distinguish between observing
that one particular selected interpretation
of a mysterious book is at total variance
with every single datum point ever, and,
trying to " discredit " an entire and
highly varied book, well, that is just sad.

IOW, for those born later, just coz you
read something wrong doesn't mean the
book is wrong.

Oh, and making up motives for others
is kind of dishonest. See the section
on false witness, and learn.
Do you believe Jesus rose from the dead and ascended to heaven?

Audie

Veteran Member
Do you believe Jesus rose from the dead and ascended to heaven?

Do you ever address what is said in the post you respond to?
Did you understand a single word I said?

Its not really a conversation oterrwise.
You showed a misunderstanding on your part.

I made a good faith effort to explain what the
deal is.

I don't see a good faith response, at all.

LightofTruth

Do you ever address what is said in the post you respond to?
Did you understand a single word I said?

Its not really a conversation oterrwise.
You showed a misunderstanding on your part.

I made a good faith effort to explain what the
deal is.

I don't see a good faith response, at all.
I believe Jesus rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. Do you?

If you claim it's not true, then you are discrediting the Bible. It's that simple.

The faith of the Christian rests on the belief that God raised Jesus from the dead. Period!

Audie

Veteran Member
I believe Jesus rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. Do you?

If you claim it's not true, then you are discrediting the Bible. It's that simple.

The faith of the Christian rests on the belief that God raised Jesus from the dead. Period!

I don't believe it, but there's no way to know.
I've never argued against it.

Disproving it via time machine would disrefitbthst belief. Or maybe time machine
would prove it.

" flood " belief is not central to Christianity.
Educated Christians in their millions know it didn't happen like the book says.

The disproof of flood-long long since deminstrated- only discredits a wrong
belief about a story that has nothing
to do with the reality of god.

Maybe you will learn to appreciate that.

LightofTruth

I don't believe it, but there's no way to know.
I've never argued against it.

Disproving it via time machine would disrefitbthst belief. Or maybe time machine
would prove it.

" flood " belief is not central to Christianity.
Educated Christians in their millions know it didn't happen like the book says.

The disproof of flood-long long since deminstrated- only discredits a wrong
belief about a story that has nothing
to do with the reality of god.

Maybe you will learn to appreciate that.
Exactly my point. You don't believe it. Therefore you discredit the Bible.
I have no time for mockers.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I come from the position that the New Testament we have is accurate, truthful and trustworthy. If your position is that it's not, I'm not interested in debating it with you. if your position is that it is accurate and trustworthy, then I'd be interested to discussion with you what you understand it to say and teach.
It is a good teaching for Christian people :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, @Conscious thoughts, I know this is directed more towards those who are negative in their interactions with you. Know that I follow your posts because I do find the quest for truth an exciting thing. I've seen your opinions and thoughts on things change over time... Mine have, too.

The only thing I might add is that I would disagree that feeling pushed when presented with negativity is a weakness. Considering the positions you disagree with, or even strongly dislike is simply part of being empathetic. Empathy isn't strictly reserved for people you understand already, but allows you to consider things you've never considered before in seeking understanding.

It can be treacherous to entertain those thoughts if you are an empathetic person, though, if you aren't grounded. It seems like Islam has helped you find your footing, though. :)
Thank you @SigurdReginson

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There are two main criteria I go by in order to understand the doctrines of the Bible. The first is that I believe the Bible to be accurate and trustworthy. And that Scripture ought to be consistent throughout. The second is reason. That what is taught is reasonable and logically understood.
I have nothing negative to say about your belief or religious faith @LightofTruth