• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you so interested in my views and beliefs?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I ask this question because i wonder why people are so interested in my religious belief (Or lack of it according to some people). I am not in RF to push my belief onto you. I am here to learn.
Yes my belief in Islam and sufi path may be different than yours. And yes i do not follow Qur'an to the letter. I think for my self even i surrender to Allah, he given me the brain to think with, to ask my self question needed to understand deeper wisdom from within the teaching.

I see the Islamic teaching as a guideline to how i should live my life. Not how i should tell you how you should live your life. So even we disagree i will not push your view away, only answer from my understanding of Islam or sufi teaching.

I realized that asking questions in other than abrahamic Dir in this time only will backfire.
So Abrahamic Dir will be my future place to ask questions.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So are many other RFers
I know, and that is very good.
I guess my question is more toward those who are not interested in learning, but push believers off track in what they believe in. ( And yes i felt the push my self, meaning I am the one who are weak, not the one who disbelieve in what i speak of)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I know, and that is very good.
I guess my question is more toward those who are not interested in learning, but push believers off track in what they believe in. ( And yes i felt the push my self, meaning I am the one who are weak, not the one who disbelieve in what i speak of)

Or non believers too, yes i get it a lot including threats only meaningful to the religious folk issuing the threats. You know your own mind, if someone deliberately tries to push you "off track" the ignore button is there. Or it the offending post is proselytising you really should report it. Always remember everyone has their own unique view which may or may not compete with yours

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Or non believers too, yes i get it a lot including threats only meaningful to the religious folk issuing the threats. You know your own mind, if someone deliberately tries to push you "off track" the ignore button is there. Or it the offending post is proselytising you really should report it. Always remember everyone has their own unique view which may or may not compete with yours
I find it good that people have different belief. The belief i hold may not suit some people, or they fully disagree with it. That is of no problem. What buggs me is when someone tell me. "Your belief is wrong" because i dont follow "mainstream" islam or mainstream Sufi belief.
How can they tell what i believe is right or wrong without knowing my full belief?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I find it good that people have different belief. The belief i hold may not suit some people, or they fully disagree with it. That is of no problem. What buggs me is when someone tell me. "Your belief is wrong" because i dont follow "mainstream" islam or mainstream Sufi belief.
How can they tell what i believe is right or wrong without knowing my full belief?

Everyone has different beliefs, it's up to you what you believe, not anyone else. If someone is dictating to you then i suggest you just skip over their posts and take no notice or use the options i suggested in the previous post.

So long as you are content with your beliefs, thats all that matters

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I ask this question because i wonder why people are so interested in my religious belief (Or lack of it according to some people). I am not in RF to push my belief onto you. I am here to learn.
Yes my belief in Islam and sufi path may be different than yours. And yes i do not follow Qur'an to the letter. I think for my self even i surrender to Allah, he given me the brain to think with, to ask my self question needed to understand deeper wisdom from within the teaching.

I see the Islamic teaching as a guideline to how i should live my life. Not how i should tell you how you should live your life. So even we disagree i will not push your view away, only answer from my understanding of Islam or sufi teaching.

I realized that asking questions in other than abrahamic Dir in this time only will backfire.

I'm not interested in your beliefs. I'm interested in your behaviour.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't single you out. I'm interested in people's views and beliefs in general. For me, its fascinating to learn what makes people tick. That's primarily why here.

Well that and to offer fashion advice.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

You're an interesting guy on a path unavailable to me.
The thing about the human condition is that there are
many different conditions. Yours is foreign to me.
What could be more interesting, eh.

LightofTruth

I come from the position that the New Testament we have is accurate, truthful and trustworthy. If your position is that it's not, I'm not interested in debating it with you. if your position is that it is accurate and trustworthy, then I'd be interested to discussion with you what you understand it to say and teach.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

We ask questions of hindu, christian, JW, and the like. It's easier to learn about a faith when you talk to those who practice. It shouldn't always be about debate but exchanged interest in each other's spiritual progress.

We've been here for years and I never knew near anything (and still near don't) about the hindu faith but I'm open to learn.

It's not an attack at your faith and it wouldnt be a challenge to ask about our spiritual paths, experiences, and/or religion.

There was only one other muslim here I used to talk to off and on. I havent seen them. But sometimes talking about faith, Quran, etc is beneficial especially when you get multiple perspectives to your faith both for and against.

What I noticed,though,wild guess is that because your recent conversion you're still have some anxiety (lbw) of others asking about your belief. Puts you at a standstill since you don't convert and all of the sudden be an expert.

I'm sure most people aren't trying to debate with you. In your conversion people were actually concerned with the religion you follow not because they want to attack islam but because their experiences lead them and us to care about you given you've been here awhile and shared a lot.

It's alright to learn from others and vis versa. The question is if interested are you spiritually ready for it?

Audie

Veteran Member
So are many other RFers

Excepting

A person who is actually interested in
learning doesn't think a challenge is
just trying to push him off his (one true)
path, and thus to be resisted by all means.

It gets so absurd sometimes, the extremes
of idiocy people go to to protect the
hard battle shell they've built to guard
their fantasy world.

Such persons / fixed ideas are of no
further interest once i' ve seen where their
minds freeze up and cease to function.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Personally I am usually interested in your beliefs because either it was something I never heard of , such as Falung Gong, or you converted to Islam, which to me is a radical change. Also what is interesting about your case is that your actual beliefs that you have expressed often seem to be in conflict with many muslims viewpoint on religion, so it is interesting to hear an alternative perspective.

Also, if we are here to learn about others religion, it seems obvious that we would be interested in others religions, including yours.

Audie

Veteran Member
I come from the position that the New Testament we have is accurate, truthful and trustworthy. If your position is that it's not, I'm not interested in debating it with you. if your position is that it is accurate and trustworthy, then I'd be interested to discussion with you what you understand it to say and teach.

Confirmation bias only, please?

Do you figure that accurate truthful etc is abcolute, or that some of it might be only
approximately true?

You would not be likely to understand
how i could say this, but I as an
atheist have more belief in the bible's
trustworthiness than your typical
"Believer" has.

But then, you said you are not interested.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't single you out. I'm interested in people's views and beliefs in general. For me, its fascinating to learn what makes people tick. That's primarily why here.

Well that and to offer fashion advice.

Consider well my advice re the Birkin,
we all can learn. Except some.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

Some, but not all people on this forum change their faiths more often than others, some may become sophomores with a taste for preaching, needing to tell others that their way, and just their way is best because they're "experienced practicioners". Today it's fashionable to say "I practice religion X as I see it", but if If one chooses a religion from a culture one likely wasn't born in, it is not irrelevant what the original culture says about the practice of this religion.

Despite being a "religious forum", RF seems to attract a lot of atheists and free-thinkers. People who likely question authority. Some religions rely on authority more than others. That's why we have so few practicing Muslims here. Don't want to judge anyone but I suppose in Islam free-thinking is probably not a highly cherished value, regardless of how certain individuals may wish to see it.

You see, as Europe is still a place where freedom of religion and freedom of conscience are still relevant. That's why Muslim individuals in Europe can create mosques with a community of mostly homosexual people, or mosques where women can become imams and preach to men. Those people enjoying the privilege of freedom of religion and their supporters believe that this "Euro-Islam" may modernize the entire Muslim community in the world. What would likely happen in a country under Islamic ruling is that those renegades would likely be jailed, tortured or killed for blasphemy.

It's true than (to my knowledge) no Muslim on RF has argued in favor of such steps. But it's also true that in this context, the opinion of a likely singular and/or possibly sophomore practicioner can not be relevant for questioning the nature of an entire religion which has sparked much controversy on RF and seems to run contrary to the attitude many on this forum seem to have concerning authority in general.

Cooky

Veteran Member

I find your ability to be so open minded in regards to religion to be very unusual. Whether this kind of unusual is beneficial or not is what I would wonder.

Audie

Veteran Member
Some, but not all people on this forum change their faiths more often than others, some may become sophomores with a taste for preaching, needing to tell others that their way, and just their way is best because they're "experienced practicioners". Today it's fashionable to say "I practice religion X as I see it", but if If one chooses a religion from a culture one likely wasn't born in, it is not irrelevant what the original culture says about the practice of this religion.

Despite being a "religious forum", RF seems to attract a lot of atheists and free-thinkers. People who likely question authority. Some religions rely on authority more than others. That's why we have so few practicing Muslims here. Don't want to judge anyone but I suppose in Islam free-thinking is probably not a highly cherished value, regardless of how certain individuals may wish to see it.

You see, as Europe is still a place where freedom of religion and freedom of conscience are still relevant. That's why Muslim individuals in Europe can create mosques with a community of mostly homosexual people, or mosques where women can become imams and preach to men. Those people enjoying the privilege of freedom of religion and their supporters believe that this "Euro-Islam" may modernize the entire Muslim community in the world. What would likely happen in a country under Islamic ruling is that those renegades would likely be jailed, tortured or killed for blasphemy.

It's true than (to my knowledge) no Muslim on RF has argued in favor of such steps. But it's also true that in this context, the opinion of a likely singular and/or possibly sophomore practicioner can not be relevant for questioning the nature of an entire religion which has sparked much controversy on RF and seems to run contrary to the attitude many on this forum seem to have concerning authority in general.

Looking forward to seeing more of your commentary.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What criteria do you use to determine who to talk with if their opinion isn't congruent to how you see the new testament?

It kind of makes it a one man's conversation if you speak to those you agree with or has the same interpretation of the NT as you?

As a no christian interested in your faith, I'd be interested in Your experiences and what You believe is true. That's different than arguing with peers as to whether jesus said worship on sat or sun.