• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you religious?

Before continuing I would like everyone to take note that as per the rules for the interfaith discussion section, no religious debate can take place here.

Moving on, I would like to politely ask for religious people to explain why they currently are religious and how they came to be religious as well as the religion they follow.

This is NOT for debating whether or not it is a good reason, this is for gaining insight into other people's choices in the matter.

This is also not for theist that are not religious, like most deist and pantheist.

That aside, I look forward to your responses. :)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am a non-dual (God and creation are not-two) Hinduish type. I came to this view through my study of the paranormal and the quest for explanations for those phenomena. This lead me to Theosophy which is really in-line with ancient Vedic/Indian wisdom traditions. I then found a spiritual teacher within the Indian tradition who I have come to believe presents the most advanced understandings known to man.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Well here in a lay opinion since you asked.
The common thread among all religions is to do good and to help us understand the consequences of our actions both good and bad.

The reason religion exists is to help people make sense of events which would otherwise be incomprehensible by relying on unseen, hidden forces.

Good 'nuff fer me.
There is much more available on the net if a search is done.

About recovery from the fatal disease of addiction:
"came to believe that only a Power greater than our selves could restore us
to sanity".
Step 2 of the 12 steps of recovery.
What Is Step 2?
"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

How's that work for ya?

What Is Step 2?
"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you need to define the 'religious' types you want to hear from. I know it seems straightforward, but it is not nowadays.

I don't think it's ever been straightforward. :sweat:

More than likely, I'm not the "religious people" you are looking for, @Ignorant Philosopher , but since I'm a person and I'm religious, let's consider this fair game. I'm religious because I can't be anything other than religious - it's part of my essential nature to ask lots of questions and weave meaningfulness into my life. The path I've found myself on came to be in the same manner it does for anyone - through the sum of personal life experiences. Not sure I really want to lay out my life's story, yeah?

I suppose the lesson you can take from this is I do not believe that where I am now has anything to do with choices. I don't believe that other people have any choice either - I'm a determinist. Things are as they must be. We can point to various ancestors and say "this thing was a cause in this outcome," but I do not believe there is any sort of choice involved.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Before continuing I would like everyone to take note that as per the rules for the interfaith discussion section, no religious debate can take place here.

Moving on, I would like to politely ask for religious people to explain why they currently are religious and how they came to be religious as well as the religion they follow.

This is NOT for debating whether or not it is a good reason, this is for gaining insight into other people's choices in the matter.

This is also not for theist that are not religious, like most deist and pantheist.

Can you define the word religious? To me, it is a heavy devotion and practice of one's faith. So, I am very religious.

I am religious because there is no way else to be, really. You either live for life and be grateful or you don't. I feel grateful for what I do for my ancestors at my altar, outside, on the go. I'm in constant prayer whether its in silent meditation, taking time out, or actual physical and/or verbal prayer. It lets me be intune with my environment and also helps me to say thank you more often. I am religious or practice my faith as a devotion and lifestyle because it's gradually shaping my life for the better. It's taking the old religions away that cause me to feel torn and broken and strengthens me with a new perspective and outlook in life.

I am religious because I love life.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I am not religious.
I believe in God for cause of science

no practice of dogma....none
no congregation and no one follows me
no ritual, no list of prayer, no beads for your hand and no rug for your knees
no cap for you head

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am not religious.
I believe in God for cause of science

no practice of dogma....none
no congregation and no one follows me
no ritual, no list of prayer, no beads for your hand and no rug for your knees
no cap for you head
I have always admired that about you, Thiefster. :)

syo

I am religious because only Greek Religion gives me answers. Plus it feels right.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm not sure religion proper is even avoidable, except perhaps for those trapped in strong superstition (which they tend to confuse with religion despite being an actual major impediment for religious practice) or sociopathy.

Religion is the practice of expressing and nurturing morality. And it turns out that I can't help but care about it, to the point of having strong opinions about what should be considered religious belief and what should be acknowledged as mishappen, undesirable or simply unworkable fac-similes of some of its aspects.

Ethics and by extension religion are IMO a necessary and natural consequence of developing some ability for moral judgement.

Religion:

1) Belief that certain objects are sacred and some are profane without a logical basis.

2) Belief in a superhuman controlling power without a logical basis.

3) Belief that certain rituals produce specific results without a logical basis.

4) Belief that unobservable begins exists without a logical basis.

5) A system of faith surrounding a person or persons.

6) Belief in a form of persistence for the human conciseness past biological death without a logical basis.

7) A belief in pseudo-science on the basis of faith.

8) The belief that humans can accomplish certain results by following a certain ideology without a logical basis.

Also this is how I define faith.

Faith:

Belief in something without needing a logical basis.

arthra

Baha'i

Well "philosopher" as a lover of wisdom that I too can appreciate! I've been religious most all my life.. I think my dear Grandfather was an inspiration for me as a child and later on as I explored various religions I came to appreciate that there was a "Golden" thread through the great religions uniting them spiritually so again I became enamored. When I formally declared my faith in 1965 it was after some years working in the Civil Rights movement and the Peace Movement at the time.. Being a Baha'i became a culmination of searching and discovering for me... Now after my finding the Baha'i Faith I married and have a family and raised my children in the same Faith... The term religion itself has some interesting roots in etymology:

the interpretation of many modern writers connects it with religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods." In that case, the re- would be intensive. Another possible origin is religiens "careful," opposite of negligens. In English, meaning "particular system of faith" is recorded from c. 1300; sense of "recognition of and allegiance in manner of life (perceived as justly due) to a higher, unseen power or powers" is from 1530s.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=religion

There is a Baha'i definition of "Faith" as conscious knowledge. Abdul-Baha explained:

Faith does not consist in belief, it consists in deeds. It is not sufficient to believe in Baha'o'llah and to say, "I am of the people of El-Abha"; we must act in accordance with the teachings of Baha'o'llah, who commands us to become centers of divine attraction, so that the attributes of God may emanate from us, that we may become wise and well intentioned to all the peoples of the earth in order to better the condition of all.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 41)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

I'm religious because... it's part of who I am. I follow a form of the Northern Way because the I heard the Northern Gods' call more than any others'.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I can't come up with a clear definition of 'religious' that would apply generally, so really couldn't answer even whether or not I am religious, let alone why. There are so many varying paradigms ... so much that some consider themselves religious, but all others not.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. I'm definitely not the "religious people" the OP is looking for, based on that list, and neither are many other religious people.. Disappointing, but unsurprising.

syo

Religion:

1) Belief that certain objects are sacred and some are profane without a logical basis.

3) Belief that certain rituals produce specific results without a logical basis.

6) Belief in a form of persistence for the human conciseness past biological death without a logical basis.

8) The belief that humans can accomplish certain results by following a certain ideology without a logical basis.

Faith:

a second part? ok...

Religion
1)the opposite of Ignorant Philosopher's list

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Religion:

Faith:

First of all, the assumption that religion is entirely or primarily about belief is incorrect for many if not most non-Abrahamic religions, and certainly while I do hold beliefs, the beliefs I hold are secondary to the experiences and practices I have as my religion.

Second, the repeated insertion of the prejudicial phrase "without a logical basis" automatically removes me from your construction of what is religious. I have a logical basis for my beliefs, experiences and practices--therefore I am not religious under your construction. That you may not accept my logical bases has nothing to do with me, or with religion in general, but with your own limits of understanding about religion.

GoodbyeDave

Having stated
you promptly do just what you tell the rest of us not to do!

My religion has little to do with belief and a lot to do with knowledge. It is certainly not without logical basis. The statements that the human soul is immortal and that the universe is best explained as a creation are based on philosophical arguments. The statement supernatural beings exist and interact with humans is based on experience. Etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: