• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you atheists so angry?

Looncall

I have just listened to an audiobook of this book by Greta Christina. Has anyone else read it? What did you think of it?

Among other things, I found it a model of clear, understandable writing.

Last edited:

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
I have just listened to an audiobook of this book by Greta Christina. Has anyone else read it? What did you think of it?

It's only a few>.>
More I find are God hating than are disbelieving, but many I found were also more agnostic than atheist to begin with. Idk, but lots on here aren't angry lol

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You really should get to know us heathen godless infidel kafirs a bit better, Thruve.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Atheists cannot be ruled as angry. They are quite cynical about God and religion, and with good reason as well.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You really should get to know us heathen godless infidel kafirs a bit better, Thruve.

You know what, whatever the thread is named I would like to know your Infidel Kafir and your contention on it.

I truly cant understand why people are so ignorant and openly say things for the sake of saying things.

I dont generally point to you tube videos but try this. You might get offended, but take it as just example to explain something, not offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChgMQFXEuM

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You know what, whatever the thread is named I would like to know your Infidel Kafir and your contention on it.

I truly cant understand why people are so ignorant and openly say things for the sake of saying things.

I dont generally point to you tube videos but try this. You might get offended, but take it as just example to explain something, not offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChgMQFXEuM

You make offense considerably hard to happen when you make your intent to learn and be respectful so readily apparent, Firedragon. :)

I am however having trouble with your video, simply because there is a language barrier.

Here is what I can make of it:

1. Kafir is an often misused or abused word.

2. Its most traditional or proper meaning is along the lines of "someone who knows (an important) thing and yet pretends not to know it/acts as if he knew it to be false". At one point in the video it is said that kafir means "hypocrite, someone who know something but hides it".

Going by that definition, kafirs will nearly never be atheists.

3. The current usual understanding of the word is not the traditional meaning. This is not all that different from the way words such as "gay" or "pig" have also acquired new meanings that often overcome the traditional ones. These days, people usually mean "infidel" when they speak "kafir".

About this word "Infidel", it may mean anything among several possibilities. Someone who is simply not a Muslim, or someone who is not of the People of the Book, or not a believer in the God of Ibrahim, or an actual atheist (someone who lacks a belief in any God entirely).

And it may or may not be understood that no one deserves to be called an infidel (or kafir) until and unless given the opportunity to learn of God and the Quran and turning it down or rejecting it.

Of course, it can be very subjective to decide whether someone learned of the Quran, and even whether he rejected it.

That is what I understand of the video and of the meaning and use of the words kafir and infidel among Muslims.

As for what I and some other atheists mean when we use them... mainly, we use them in jest, in an attempt to show how we do not think it is a big deal not to be a believer.

I realize that many Muslims actually hesitate to call anyone a kafir, an infidel or even simply an atheist, even if we say outright that we do, in fact, disbelieve in the existence of God, because it is perceived as such a rude, unloving and terrible thing to say or even think of other person.

I sympathise with the intent, for it is fueled by a desire of being respectful. All the same, I must insist that we atheists must be acknowledged as atheists if respect is to be had.

Thanks for asking, by the way. I am looking forward for your reply. :)

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

I haven't read her book but I have read her blog.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I haven't noticed that atheists are any more angry than anyone else. My husband calls himself a Christian, yet he is the angriest man I know right now. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh so you speak for all the atheists is it? Im glad to get to know you.

Lol.

No, I do not speak for all the atheists, not by a long shot. But I do know and dialogue with quite a few, and I wouldn't say that we are particularly cynical as a bunch.

But hey, if you want to launch my candidacy as Premier of All Atheists or something, be my guest. :cool:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I haven't noticed that atheists are any more angry than anyone else. My husband calls himself a Christian, yet he is the angriest man I know right now. ;)

Yes indeed. We could take every subsection on RF and put it in this blank.

Why are all the __________ s so angry? :) Start about 50 new threads.

I'll start ... Why are all those Hindus so angry?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes indeed. We could take every subsection on RF and put it in this blank.

Why are all the __________ s so angry? :) Start about 50 new threads.

I'll start ... Why are all those Hindus so angry?

I'll give another one: Why are women so angry?

;)

firedragon

Veteran Member
You make offense considerably hard to happen when you make your intent to learn and be respectful so readily apparent, Firedragon. :)

I am however having trouble with your video, simply because there is a language barrier.

Yeah, Im sorry I am not a great orator.

Here is what I can make of it:

1. Kafir is an often misused or abused word.

2. Its most traditional or proper meaning is along the lines of "someone who knows (an important) thing and yet pretends not to know it/acts as if he knew it to be false". At one point in the video it is said that kafir means "hypocrite, someone who know something but hides it".

Yes. He may know that something is false but pretend its not or he knows some truth pretends either that he doesnt know or that it is not the truth.

Going by that definition, kafirs will nearly never be atheists.

You know I want to be a hypocrite and say to this, but I do agree. Largely atheists are honest about what they believe or what they dont.

But this word as a reference could be anyone. As the example of who robbed your neighbour.

3. The current usual understanding of the word is not the traditional meaning. This is not all that different from the way words such as "gay" or "pig" have also acquired new meanings that often overcome the traditional ones. These days, people usually mean "infidel" when they speak "kafir".

Yep.

About this word "Infidel", it may mean anything among several possibilities. Someone who is simply not a Muslim, or someone who is not of the People of the Book, or not a believer in the God of Ibrahim, or an actual atheist (someone who lacks a belief in any God entirely).

Infidel was a word used by the Crusaders to refer to those who were not Christians who fought with them.

Infidel I think as an English word means someone without fidelity. A cheat. No faith.

And it may or may not be understood that no one deserves to be called an infidel (or kafir) until and unless given the opportunity to learn of God and the Quran and turning it down or rejecting it.

You can call yourself a Kafir. I mean I must look at myself and my intentions in everything I do. If I am dishonest I maybe a Kafir. That word is not to judge others but myself.

Of course, it can be very subjective to decide whether someone learned of the Quran, and even whether he rejected it.

That is what I understand of the video and of the meaning and use of the words kafir and infidel among Muslims.

You will never know who a Kafir is. How would you unless someone gets caught lying or something. You will never know. But you should not be one, that is if you believe in the Quran. I shall assess myself, not others.

As for what I and some other atheists mean when we use them... mainly, we use them in jest, in an attempt to show how we do not think it is a big deal not to be a believer.

I realize that many Muslims actually hesitate to call anyone a kafir, an infidel or even simply an atheist, even if we say outright that we do, in fact, disbelieve in the existence of God, because it is perceived as such a rude, unloving and terrible thing to say or even think of other person.

Actually, some people do. I have heard some Muslims call Ahmadiya Muslims as Kafirs. That is no big deal, I have heard it enough.

I sympathise with the intent, for it is fueled by a desire of being respectful. All the same, I must insist that we atheists must be acknowledged as atheists if respect is to be had.

Thanks for asking, by the way. I am looking forward for your reply. :)

Brother, I dont speak for all Muslims or any other people either. I am quoting you the Quran.

Lol. In most arab countries, when you plant a seed in the ground they call it Kufr, because the seed is being hidden underground.

Peace.

firedragon

Veteran Member
No, I do not speak for all the atheists, not by a long shot. But I do know and dialogue with quite a few, and I wouldn't say that we are particularly cynical as a bunch.

But hey, if you want to launch my candidacy as Premier of All Atheists or something, be my guest. :cool:

Well, if you promise that in case you become a politician one day due to the popularity and send a bias favour or two, I will support your candidacy. I am a hypocrite that way.

I was kidding by the way.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, if you promise that in case you become a politician one day due to the popularity and send a bias favour or two, I will support your candidacy. I am a hypocrite that way.

I was kidding by the way.

The LOL told me as much, never fear. As for politics, on second thought... no way.

Looncall

Piteous plea: anyone read the book?

Anyway, she lists lots of things that would make atheists angry, and backs them up.

I'm listening again because I listen while driving and not everything sinks in.