• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why are we here?

rusra02

Premium Member
What is the purpose of this life? why did God put us here, if he wants us in heaven why aren't we just born there, why do we have to go through this life
The Bible reveals God created man to live on earth and enjoy life forever. He told Adam and Eve to "Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”
The first couple were placed into a beautiful garden home with the prospect of extending that paradise globally, they and their offspring. I believe God's purpose has not changed, and that soon "The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it." (Psalm 37:29)

Nefelie

The Bible reveals God created man to live on earth and enjoy life forever. […] I believe God's purpose has not changed, and that soon "The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it." (Psalm 37:29)

Yes, we have all read Genesis, the question is WHY?

According to Genesis, it seems to me that God just needs… maintenance workers? Is that what we are?

~~~

rusra02

Premium Member
Yes, we have all read Genesis, the question is WHY?

According to Genesis, it seems to me that God just needs… maintenance workers? Is that what we are?

~~~
I believe Jehovah, like any loving father, finds delight in giving his intelligent creatures life and happiness. "God is love", and that motivates him in all that he does, IMO. He doesn't need us to sustain the earth, but he gives us satisfaction and purpose in doing this work.

Nefelie

I believe Jehovah, like any loving father, finds delight in giving his intelligent creatures life and happiness

Care to tell that to all children that are growing up in war zones or have no water/food/heath care or have serious health problems or born with disabilities or living with abusive parents, etc?

rusra02

Premium Member
Care to tell that to all children that are growing up in war zones or have no water/food/heath care or have serious health problems or born with disabilities or living with abusive parents, etc?
Do you believe the true God is responsible for these tragedies? Rather than blame God, I believe it is wise to find out why these things happen, who is responsible, and why God has not yet acted to end wickedness. And I believe the Bible gives satisfying answers.

Etritonakin

As strange as it seems, the horrible situation which now exists (made more horrible by the contrasting knowledge that things could be different) will make possible an infinitely more wonderful future. That which will be could not come to pass without what is happening now, because what is happening now is preparing US to make the future wonderful -and enabling us to not continue to mess up the future. We will become masters of the creation and of the future. We will know what to never do again!

It is of little actual comfort now, but the present situation is temporary. The negative effects are also temporary -and can be nullified -will be nullified.
The positive effects will never be nullified.

I have recently been considering the juxtaposition of the angelic and human realms.

Angels were created into a state which was perfect -and maintained as perfect.
However, they had not experienced imperfection -it was an unknown which was eventually explored.
Perhaps it could have been considered by reason alone, but nothing teaches like experience.
There was a tendency or potential toward imperfection.

Humans were created into a state which was already imperfect -and our situation has created a strong tendency or potential toward perfection -and against imperfection.

God allowed interaction between the sinning angels and humans to balance the tendencies or potentials toward imperfection -and against imperfection.

The sinning angels will learn the futility of their choices -acknowledge the good of their original situation -and that God was who he said he was -and was correct. Humans will Also learn that God is who he says he is -and is correct. They will then have the opportunity to accept a perfect situation and that which will maintain it and allow for infinite creativity without conflict.

All must still choose -but the future which will have been made possible will be infinitely awesome.

Isa 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:
Isa 45:6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Isa 45:8 Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
What is the purpose of this life? why did God put us here, if he wants us in heaven why aren't we just born there, why do we have to go through this life

To prove ourselves worthy.

Can there be any such thing as 'good' if there is literally no choice to be anything else?

jonathan180iq

There are whole lot of assumptions at the base of these questions, and I think you need to answer those first...

1) How do you know that there's actually any purpose at all?
1a) What if there isn't one?

2)Which god are you referring to?
2a) How do you know that your deity of choice did any of things that you're assuming it did, like "put us here"?

3)How do you know that your deity of choice has a gender?
3a)How do you know that your deity of choice wants things?
3b)How do you know that heaven even exists?
3c)How do you know that you would like it?
3d) If heaven exists, and is somehow argued to exist beyond the limits of the explainable Universe, you wouldn't have to be born there, would you? You wouldn't be "born" at all, right?

4)How are you certain that there exists anything but this life?
4a)How do you know that "this life" is anything other than a programmed experiment in the subconscious mind of a sleeping gnat on another planet?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think there is anything to the question in the OP beyond the fact that human beings are prone to expecting reasons for things to happen.

rusra02

Premium Member
OK. Answer then :)

~~~

Here, in brief, is what the Bible says as to:

Why do bad things happen?
Much of the suffering and anguish we experience results from our own bad or thoughtless acts, or those of other people. (Proverbs 19:3)
Who is responsible?
I believe the Bible clearly teaches that "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." (1 John 5:19) Satan and other wicked spirits exercise a malevolent and pervasive influence over mankind, and actively foment wickedness.
Why has God not yet acted to end wickedness?
I believe the Bible teaches that God has an appointed time to end wickedness. (Habakkuk 1:2, 2:3) Jehovah is not limited by a short lifespan and has good reasons for allowing wickedness temporarily. He will undo the harm Satan caused by his rebellion, and settle once and forever the issue of who rightfully should rule as Sovereign. (1 Corinthians 15:25,26)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
And way more lively than it was 12 years ago.
Always seems that way. *grin*

Seems people can't think of new topics to banter over so, dredge up the oldies from mothballs.

Kinda strange though. Had it been 2004 right now, I'd be one of the Christians posting on here! =0)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

This is the theme of life and specifically of the human life as mentioned in the very first chapter of Quran:
The Holy Quran : Chapter 1: Al-Fatihah
[1:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[1:2] All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
[1:3] The Gracious, the Merciful,
[1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.
[1:5] Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
[1:6] Guide us in the right path —
[1:7] The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.
ww.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=1
it is in brief and explained in detail in the whole of Quran in a very straightforward and elaborate form.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Further to #38

G-d has introduced Himself in the very first verse of the Quran . Muhammad did not invent G-d's name Allah, it was there before him in Arabs. G-d used the same name and then mentioned two important attributes of Him that concern the most with the mankind and as to why we humans are here as asked by the OP. The attributes are rahman and rahim which have been translated as "Gracious, the Merciful", rahman is for which one has put no effort yet provided to one even before one's birth by G-d hence these are just gifts from Him or His grace.
Rahim
is for which one has done some effort or done some labor and G-d as per his attributive principle has provided it.
We are here to enjoy all such graces and mercies from G-d.Right? Please
Regards