• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are we alone in Universe?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And what did you find?
It wasn't all bad. I found a few green women, but they did not seem very intelligent. After all, they thought that I was hot.

YKDUf-1590172562-3000-blog-yvonnecraig_startrek_orion.jpg

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Maybe the reason we can't see signs of life on other planets is because our current theory for life is not fully valid, therefore we are barking up the wrong tree, unable to see the obvious.

We currently have not found signs of specific evidences of intelligent life. That doesn't mean life isn't out there. It could mean:

-features we are looking for may be anthropocentric and not a common feature of intelligence

-that there are limiting factors to intelligent life, like war or environmental degradation due to energy consumption, that prevent life from advancing too far

-that intelligence is rare and we are more likely to find life that hasn't evolved an intelligence capable of producing technology we can detect

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We currently have not found signs of specific evidences of intelligent life. That doesn't mean life isn't out there. It could mean:

-features we are looking for may be anthropocentric and not a common feature of intelligence

-that there are limiting factors to intelligent life, like war or environmental degradation due to energy consumption, that prevent life from advancing too far

-that intelligence is rare and we are more likely to find life that hasn't evolved an intelligence capable of producing technology we can detect

I would say that it is rather likely that intelligence is very rare. Our planet is only one example, but even it has had intelligent life for a small fraction of 1% of its existence. When one factor in the fact that the distances between stars is very very large, that interstellar travel may be practically impossible. And that radio signals have to face the same inverse square law that star light does which would limit our ability to detect such a signal to a very small part of even our galaxy I am not surprised at all by the lack of any confirmation.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But you read the paper and could not find any proof?
It is ignorance and nihilism. The nihilism is defined by F. Nietzsche as
"rejection of an obvious truth". Example of Nihilism is saying 2+2+4=34.
My paper has proofs (not cars and not birds), even if they are only wrong proofs.
If they have wrong proof, you haven't proven anything

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Consider the Fermi paradox, i.e., the "absence of recordable life in cosmos,
while the abiogenesis has to happen.'' The official point of view is that the
Fermi paradox not only exists but is unsolved yet. Romantic people look at
night at star systems and think that the sky is full of life because the
chance for Earth to get alive was the same as the chance for any suitable
planet to bloom with living organisms. It is a romantic delusion. The Earth is
alive, and Mars is dead only because the people are born on Earth. Consider
ten planets suitable for life. The Earth and Mars are among them. The current
time is 4 000 000 000 BC. If it is given that there will be one single living
planet in this group of worlds with a probability of 30 %, then the
likelihood that the Earth gets alive is exactly this 30 %, as the humans must
be exactly there, where the life has begun. But Mars has not this advantage;
hence, the probability of Mars getting life is (1/10)*30 %=3 %. The
difference between 3 % and 30 % is explained by Luck. I have written a
solution to the Fermi Paradox because the famous Drake equation uses the wrong
value for a planet's probability to get a life. The latter was equated to 100 \%.
But I tell you that the actual figure is noticeably less; in the above
argument, it is less than 3 % even for a planet perfectly suitable to start
life. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.12946.73923

We can discuss the new whereabouts about aliens, but please give me credit and honor for solution of the specific problem: Fermi Paradox. Let me feel good, at least one sec.
The "Fermi Paradox" did not originate with Fermi -- and there is no paradox.

The Fermi Paradox Is Not Fermi's, and It Is Not a Paradox

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Consider the Fermi paradox, i.e., the "absence of recordable life in cosmos,while the abiogenesis has to happen.'' The official point of view is that the
Fermi paradox not only exists but is unsolved yet....
Actually there is no paradox at all and the universe is indeed full of life on almost every planet. Mars is said to have a bigger population than Earth. The reason we don't see it, is because it is a different kind of life and matter that is invisible to us, similar to dark matter.

The unfortunate thing is that the US government knows all about it but chooses to keep it secret. See The Great UFO Coverup Conspiracy

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's hard to take the Fermi Project seriously because it appears to be based largely on wishful thinking. With the immense number of galaxies, stars, and planets, I would have to believe there is life elsewhere in all likelihood.

Have we been visited? I think that's highly unlikely because of the distances and the immense time it would take just to get from one galaxy to another.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This paradox assumes that alien life would be vastly advanced. There could be a species in a neighboring system going through their steam age and oppressing their own kind for being the wrong hue of green.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.......................We can discuss the new whereabouts about aliens, but please give me credit and honor for solution of the specific problem: Fermi Paradox. Let me feel good, at least one sec.

I find the Bible lets us know why we are alone in the universe. At least alone for the time being.
Alone because first the 'sin issue' that started on Earth would have to be settled here on Earth.
Then, after the 'sin issue ' is settled after Jesus' thousand-year reign over Earth, then there could be intelligent life elsewhere, but not sooner.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Consider the Fermi paradox, i.e., the "absence of recordable life in cosmos,
while the abiogenesis has to happen.'' The official point of view is that the
Fermi paradox not only exists but is unsolved yet. Romantic people look at
night at star systems and think that the sky is full of life because the
chance for Earth to get alive was the same as the chance for any suitable
planet to bloom with living organisms. It is a romantic delusion. The Earth is
alive, and Mars is dead only because the people are born on Earth. Consider
ten planets suitable for life. The Earth and Mars are among them. The current
time is 4 000 000 000 BC. If it is given that there will be one single living
planet in this group of worlds with a probability of 30 %, then the
likelihood that the Earth gets alive is exactly this 30 %, as the humans must
be exactly there, where the life has begun. But Mars has not this advantage;
hence, the probability of Mars getting life is (1/10)*30 %=3 %. The
difference between 3 % and 30 % is explained by Luck. I have written a
solution to the Fermi Paradox because the famous Drake equation uses the wrong
value for a planet's probability to get a life. The latter was equated to 100 \%.
But I tell you that the actual figure is noticeably less; in the above
argument, it is less than 3 % even for a planet perfectly suitable to start
life. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.12946.73923

We can discuss the new whereabouts about aliens, but please give me credit and honor for solution of the specific problem: Fermi Paradox. Let me feel good, at least one sec.

Well that goes over my head, so I simply ask does the paradox take this possibility into consideration.

"The earth has its inhabitants, the water and the air contain many living beings and all the elements have their nature spirits, then how is it possible to conceive that these stupendous stellar bodies are not inhabited? Verily, they are peopled, but let it be known that the dwellers accord with the elements of their respective spheres. These living beings do not have states of consciousness like unto those who live on the surface of this globe: the power of adaptation and environment moulds their bodies and states of consciousness, just as our bodies and minds are suited to our planet. For example, we have birds that live in the air, those that live on the earth and those that live in the sea... The components of the sun differ from those of this earth, for there are certain light and life-giving elements radiating from the sun. Exactly the same elements may exist in two bodies, but in varying quantities. For instance, there is fire and air in water, but the allotted measure is small in proportion. They have discovered that there is a great quantity of radium in the sun; the same element is found on the earth, but in a much smaller degree. Beings who inhabit those distant luminous bodies are attuned to the elements that have gone into their composition of their respective spheres."

‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Divine Philosophy, p. 114-115

Regards Tony

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
......... With the immense number of galaxies, stars, and planets, I would have to believe there is life elsewhere in all likelihood...................

Yes, with the immense universe ( that is spreading out ) it is likely there will be life (intelligent life ) elsewhere.
I say ' will be ' because first the ' sin issue ' that started in Eden would have to first be settled here.
If there was a faithful Adam & Eve elsewhere there would be No need to settle the ' sin issue' here on Earth.
A faithful Adam & Eve would have already proved faithful to God so there would be No need to settle issues here.
Once the 'sin issue ' is settled here on Earth then there can be intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I would say that it is rather likely that intelligence is very rare. Our planet is only one example, but even it has had intelligent life for a small fraction of 1% of its existence. When one factor in the fact that the distances between stars is very very large, that interstellar travel may be practically impossible. And that radio signals have to face the same inverse square law that star light does which would limit our ability to detect such a signal to a very small part of even our galaxy I am not surprised at all by the lack of any confirmation.

That's very much a possibility, and combine that with the struggles intelligence poses like self-destruction through war and environmental degradation, it's very possible not much life at all ever reaches a point where anything like interstellar travel could be possible.

Not that I discount that idea entirely...it's more interesting that way. ;)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

I like that you mention ' intelligent ' life, and not just life.
Sure, to me, there could be life elsewhere but Not at this point ' intelligent life '.
Even a blade of grass I suppose could be considered as a form of life but Not 'intelligent life' as we know it.
We don't reproduce from non-life, and it seems that intelligence does Not come from non-intelligence.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I like that you mention ' intelligent ' life, and not just life.
Sure, to me, there could be life elsewhere but Not at this point ' intelligent life '.
Even a blade of grass I suppose could be considered as a form of life but Not 'intelligent life' as we know it.
We don't reproduce from non-life, and it seems that intelligence does Not come from non-intelligence.

A blade of grass is life. :)

Intelligence is something of a subjective term. Primates, crows, octopuses all show superior problem solving abilities than dogs, but all mammals appear better at it than insects, who are better at it than plants.

Intelligence appears related to problem solving and purposeful munipulation of the environment. It is likely that this evolved in stages. Humans ability to learn and pass on information to other humans makes us very unique, but certainly this was a development in progress.