• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are they ignoring the persecution of Christians?

Pagans never ordered a eradication of a whole religion though so your comparison is absurd.

Really?

Diocletian's edict against the Manichaeans in 302:

As for these people (the Manichaeans), who set up new and unheard of sects contrary to the ancient rites, in order that in support of their perverse belief they might drive out those doctrines which had been granted to us in earlier times by divine influence...

We should be afraid that they might attempt, as is their wont, to corrupt men of more innocent natures, the modest and tranquil Roman race, and the whole of our empire with the deplorable customs and sinister laws of the Persians as if by the poisons from their own malevolence.

We command that their authors and heads be subjected to the harshest punishment; that is, to be consumed by the burning flames along with their condemnable writings. Furthermore we direct that their adherents receive capital punishment, so long as they are troublesome, and we decree that their wealth be appropriated to our treasury. If any officeholder or individual of any standing or persons of great repute convert to this hitherto unheard-of, foul, and entirely disgraceful sect, or to the religion of the Persians, you must make sure to transfer their property to our treasury and send them to the Phaenensian or Proconnesian mines.

see also: Diocletianic Persecution - Wikipedia

Hadrian (emperor 117–138 CE) attempted to completely root out Judaism, which he saw as the cause of continuous rebellions. He prohibited the Torah and the Hebrew calendar and executed Judaic scholars. The sacred scroll was ceremonially burned on the Temple Mount. At the former Temple sanctuary he installed two statues, one of Jupiter, another of himself. In an attempt to erase any memory of Judea or Ancient Israel, he wiped the name off the map and replaced it with Syria Palaestina, supplanting earlier terms, such as Judaea. Similarly, he re-established Jerusalem, this time as the Roman polis of Aelia Capitolina, and Jews were barred from entering the city, except on the fast day of Tisha B'Av.[35]

The Jewish–Roman wars had a dramatic impact on the Jews, turning them from a major population in the Eastern Mediterranean into a scattered and persecuted minority. The Jewish–Roman wars are often cited as a disaster to Jewish society

Jewish–Roman wars - Wikipedia

How the hell did the Library of Alexandria not exist in the 4th-5th century it had existed for centuries before, your Christian apologetics are pathetic.

I'm an atheist, not a Christian, and demonstrable historical fact is not 'apologetics' just because it punctures your mythical view of the past.

The library didn't exist didn't exist because it was destroyed by pagans:

In 272 AD, the emperor Aurelian fought to recapture the city of Alexandria from the forces of the Palmyrene queen Zenobia.[93][77][3] During the course of the fighting, Aurelian's forces destroyed the Broucheion quarter of the city in which the main library was located.[93][77][3] If the Mouseion and Library still existed at this time, they were almost certainly destroyed during the attack as well.[93][77] If they did survive the attack, then whatever was left of them would have been destroyed during the emperor Diocletian's siege of Alexandria in 297.[93]

The burning of the Temple of Serapis according to every single historical source led to the burning of Library which also supports my claims that Christians are not innocent when it comes to persecution.

Seeing as I've already shown the Library was demoloished at least 100 years before this, that must have been some magical fire (The Serapheum also wasn't burned down).

In 391 AD, a group of Christian workmen in Alexandria uncovered the remains of an old Mithraeum.[108] They gave some of the cult objects to the Christian bishop of Alexandria, Theophilus.[108] Theophilus had the cult objects paraded through the streets so they could be mocked and ridiculed.[108] The pagans of Alexandria were incensed by this act of desecration, especially the teachers of Neoplatonic philosophy and theurgy at the Serapeum.[108] The teachers at the Serapeum took up arms and led their students and other followers in a guerrilla attack on the Christian population of Alexandria, killing many of them before being forced to retreat.[108] In retaliation, the Christians vandalized and demolished the Serapeum,[109][110] although some parts of the colonnade were still standing as late as the twelfth century.[109] However, none of the accounts of the Serapeum's destruction mention anything about it having a library and sources written before its destruction speak of its collection of books in the past tense, indicating that it probably did not have any significant collection of scrolls in it at the time of its destruction.[111][112][110]

No one has claimed Christians were 'innocent of persecution' either, just that pagans weren't always the virtuous, kind and tolerant people you seem to think and that the decline of paganism was far more complex than 'Big Bad Christian' bogeymen destroyed all their temples and killed them all.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No - He did not claim that there were only two commandments.

He claimed that the "first and great" commandment was to "love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind" and that the "second" commandment was to "love thy neighbour as thyself."

Then He claimed that, "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." (Matthew 22:36-40)
Your first and last sentences contradict each other and also your opinion.

Fallen Prophet

Your first and last sentences contradict each other and also your opinion.
No - they do not.

It could be said that in the U.S. that all the laws "hang" on the Constitution - because it is a founding document - but that's not the same as saying all the laws of the land are contained in it.

All the commandments in the Law of Moses may be founded on the principles of loving God and our neighbors - but that is not a claim that those are the only two commandments.

I feel like you are just trying to be antagonistic.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not to say because of religious persecution, but many people calling themselves Christians were killing other people also called Christians during World Wars I and II.
You say calling themselves Christians as if you have some means to determine that they were not. I doubt that you do.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you believe that people other than White straight Christians experience any kind of real hardship at all?
Where I go to church and where I live, white, straight Christians seem to be doing just fantastic.

Alex22

Augustus
The Diocletian Edict did not eradicate the Manicheans though though, so none of that supports your claim that pagans destroyed a entire religion. If anything that was done Christian's who eradicated many heresies in both the Western and Eastern Empire.
Maybe I did confuse the Temple with the Library but Temple contained many writings that were left even if the Library was mostly destroyed, the Temple of Serapis contained at least 10 percent of the scrolls that was left and most of them were burned by Theophilus when he built his new church on the site of the Temple of Serapis. So yes, Christians do share some blame for the lost of knowledge. Theophilus destroyed most what was left plus lynching Hypatia who was more or less the last head Liberian and Muslims finished it. Where do you get your sources anyway?

This all in fact supports my claim that Christian's should not complain when they face persecutions when they have done it so much in the past and present which is the topic of the thread. Maybe one day I will make a thread on Late Roman Empire persecution of pagans but I see many are in denial.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
1) Christians are being slaughtered and America and the world turns a blind eye, yes.

2) Jews are targeted for hate crimes at many times there percentage of the world's population and the world is more interested in anti-hate legislation for other people groups.

Where?

Name the country that you think is the worst offender.
Since @BilliardsBall seems to be MIA, does anyone else feel like answering?

If you think that there's widespread Christian persecution in the world, name the country where you think the persecution for Christians is worst.

Some stats and examples would be nice, too... but I'll settle for just a country name.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Since @BilliardsBall seems to be MIA, does anyone else feel like answering?

If you think that there's widespread Christian persecution in the world, name the country where you think the persecution for Christians is worst.

Some stats and examples would be nice, too... but I'll settle for just a country name.

example: Sudan - Open Doors USA

I also work with a South Asia ministry where being baptized as a convert publicly leads to prompt persecution, but the former Hindus and Muslims are joyfully baptized, regardless!