• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why are there errors in the bible and yet people follow it?

Straw Dog

why are there errors in the bible and yet people follow it?

The short answer? Because people are ******* stupid. Like, I know that I'm dumb, and yet I'm aware that I'm still more intelligent than the vast majority of people I come into contact with. It's no coincidence that many people in the Bible Belt believe that the Earth is flat. Sorry if I'm not PC enough for the moderators, but most people are pretty ******* stupid. I'll have to think of a better way of expressing this blatant fact.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
***Mod post***

This thread has been moved to the Religious Debates forum.

Straw Dog

Sorry, I am probably too intoxicated to voice any constructive criticism, so please just excuse my actual subconscious opinion. I assume that some may find it to be offensive and so I shall suppress it until which time it becomes necessary to express. Yes, that sounds healthy. Thanks Freedom of Speech!

arthra

Baha'i
Dani wrote above:

"..the word used is "ayyamin" meaning (long) periods and NOT 24 hour days like the Bible has it mentioned.."

I was doing a word search on the Hebrew word for "day" used in the Bible..The Hebrew word is "Yahm" for day...The definition is

1) day, time, year
a) day (as opposed to night)
b) day (24 hour period)
1) as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
2) as a division of time
a) a working day, a day's journey
c) days, lifetime (pl.)
d) time, period (general)
e) year
f) temporal references

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon :: H3117

The Arabic word "Yawm" is the same word as the Hebrew in my view and has the same meaning. We are free to take the word "Yawm" in Arabic and "Yahm" in Hebrew as meaning a period of time...

Dani

I mean "come on" God could do all this, I mean their is some really awesome things in the sky's, boggles the mind. Their are things up there I could'nt even begin to imagine.But He could'nt do a book. Really, REALLY

so ur telling me, if someone was to make a book right now claiming to be from God, you would just believe in it? really? be honest.

because iv read the bible, and iv read the Quran, out of both i choose the Quran because of not just the scientific miracles but also the amamzing miracles within literature and the mathematical miracles. so because the bible has errors and contradiction, on the day of judgement IF christianity is the truth.. dont you think God would excuse me? and not punish me as i took the rational path to finding the truth? dont u think?

Dani

Dani wrote above:

"..the word used is "ayyamin" meaning (long) periods and NOT 24 hour days like the Bible has it mentioned.."

I was doing a word search on the Hebrew word for "day" used in the Bible..The Hebrew word is "Yahm" for day...The definition is

1) day, time, year
a) day (as opposed to night)
b) day (24 hour period)
1) as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
2) as a division of time
a) a working day, a day's journey
c) days, lifetime (pl.)
d) time, period (general)
e) year
f) temporal references

The Arabic word "Yawm" is the same word as the Hebrew in my view and has the same meaning. We are free to take the word "Yawm" in Arabic and "Yahm" in Hebrew as meaning a period of time...

okay, now answer the other 1000 contradiction and scientific errors in the bible, (iv only listen like 3 so answer them ATLEAST)

arthra

Baha'i
Dani:

Maybe the rational path is to explore both the Bible and the Qur'an with an open mind... Appreciating the power and beauty of both revealed books.

arthra

Baha'i
okay, now answer the other 1000 contradiction and scientific errors in the bible, (iv only listen like 3 so answer them ATLEAST)

But Dani..

That was your opening post about Yahm and yaum.. and how much time do you really have?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3429637 said:
Namaste,

Regarding your signature....um....I have to say this: House Stark FTW!

M.V.

Haven't finished, yet. ^_^ (But so far, totally.)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
To my knowledge their's no difference except for the addition of letters, well I do not have a ethiopian Bible so really can't say, The four gospels are all the same to my knowledge, as is most of the other letters Such as hebrews, james, thru revelations. The 27 letters.

There's tons of early Christian literature that was, for various reasons, left out, like some of the other gospels, the Shepherd of Hermas I remember being VERY popular at the time, and a few other texts.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
so ur telling me, if someone was to make a book right now claiming to be from God, you would just believe in it? really? be honest.

because iv read the bible, and iv read the Quran, out of both i choose the Quran because of not just the scientific miracles but also the amamzing miracles within literature and the mathematical miracles. so because the bible has errors and contradiction, on the day of judgement IF christianity is the truth.. dont you think God would excuse me? and not punish me as i took the rational path to finding the truth? dont u think?

The Vedas also have scientific miracles, so claim may followers. So do the prophecies of Nostrodamus, and I could easily call the story of Ymir the Jotunn a scientific miracle, being the giant out of whose body all the world was created (everything in the universe is made of Stardust; our own solar system is made up of particles from a supermassive star that exploded eons and eons ago.)

I've placed no stock in so-called scientific miracles.

arthra

Baha'i
Going back to Dani's issues with the Bible ...let me suggest to him (Dani) a verse from the Qur'an...

He hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture with truth, confirming that which was (revealed) before it, even as He revealed the Torah and the Gospel.

The Qur'an (Pickthall tr), Sura 3 - The Family Of Imran

So why tear down the Bible ( the Torah and the Gospel) when it was a revealed book?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
1. Astronomy: First we deal with Astronomy.The Bible speaks about the creation of the universe. In the beginning, 1st Book, Book of Genesis, 1st Ch., it is mentioned - It says… ‘Almighty God created the Heavens and the Earth, in six days and talks about a evening and a morning, referring to a 24 - hour day. Today scientists tell us, that the universe cannot be created in a 24 hour period of six days.

if your going to argue the Quran also says six days : "Your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six days and then settled Himself firmly on the Throne... (Qur'an, 7:54)

the word used is "ayyamin" meaning (long) periods and NOT 24 hour days like the Bible has it mentioned..

Gen 1:14-18 claims that God made the sun on the 4th "day". How can there be three "days" before the sun even exists?
Gen 1:11;12 claims that plant life was created before the sun. How can there be plants without any sun?

these are just a very few of the errors.. there are many more

and if ur going to say that the Bible is not a science book? well dont you think it should be consistant with science because its GODS words? or given by God?

the word used by Moses in the bible is Yom.... its a hebrew word that can mean 'any' length of time. It can mean an 'age' or an 'eon' or a 'period' or a 'day'

there are christians who have always understood that this word means a long period of time. We dont all believe it means a literal 24 hour day.

If i said to you "back in the day of Mohammad", you know i'm not speaking about one single day in his life. Im speaking of the entire period of time that he lived....yet i can call it a 'day'

Its exactly the same with the bible verses. Yom = time

rusra02

Premium Member
1. Astronomy: First we deal with Astronomy.The Bible speaks about the creation of the universe. In the beginning, 1st Book, Book of Genesis, 1st Ch., it is mentioned - It says… ‘Almighty God created the Heavens and the Earth, in six days and talks about a evening and a morning, referring to a 24 - hour day. Today scientists tell us, that the universe cannot be created in a 24 hour period of six days.

if your going to argue the Quran also says six days : "Your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six days and then settled Himself firmly on the Throne... (Qur'an, 7:54)

the word used is "ayyamin" meaning (long) periods and NOT 24 hour days like the Bible has it mentioned..

Gen 1:14-18 claims that God made the sun on the 4th "day". How can there be three "days" before the sun even exists?
Gen 1:11;12 claims that plant life was created before the sun. How can there be plants without any sun?

these are just a very few of the errors.. there are many more

and if ur going to say that the Bible is not a science book? well dont you think it should be consistant with science because its GODS words? or given by God?

Your claim that the Bible speaks of 24-hour days in Genesis is incorrect. The word "day" in the Bible can refer to varying periods of time. Genesis 2:4 states: "This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven." No reasonable person would conclude the word day here means 24 hours. Neither is evening and morning equal to a 24-hour period. It is clear to me the expression "evening and morning" are figurative. What each creative period would produce was indistinct when the creative period began, but became clear at that period's conclusion.

dantech

You believe God can create the universe, but not in 6 days of 24 hours?

I'm not going to start explaining why it isn't necessarily 24 hour days in the Bible.

I just find it ridiculous that to you it's possible for Him to create the world, but that it would have to take longer than a certain amount of time...

If you believe in an all powerful God, then you should believe He could have done the whole thing in 1 millisecond, if He wanted to...

FranklinMichaelV.3

You believe God can create the universe, but not in 6 days of 24 hours?

I'm not going to start explaining why it isn't necessarily 24 hour days in the Bible.

I just find it ridiculous that to you it's possible for Him to create the world, but that it would have to take longer than a certain amount of time...

If you believe in an all powerful God, then you should believe He could have done the whole thing in 1 millisecond, if He wanted to...

Its what happens when you try to reconcile nature and what we know with religion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
When I was little and a "catholic by default" it never occurred to me that people could consider the Bible as something to be taken literaly.

Today, I don't think it is even proper for any scripture to be taken quite that seriously.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Good. It would be a silly and self-serving explanation.

But, permit me a question: Where do you find the earliest Rabbinic tradition suggesting that "it isn't necessarily 24 hour days" and approximately when was it articulated?