• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why are there 66 books in the bible?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
commandment4 said:
  1. [ Greetings and doxology ] John, To the seven churches in the province of Asia:
    Revelation 1:3-5 (in Context) Revelation 1 (Whole Chapter)
  2. Revelation 1:5
    Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.
    Revelation 1:4-6 (in Context) Revelation 1 (Whole Chapter)
  3. Revelation 1:11
    which said: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea."
    Revelation 1:10-12 (in Context) Revelation 1 (Whole Chapter)
  4. Revelation 1:12
    I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands,
    Revelation 1:11-13 (in Context) Revelation 1 (Whole Chapter)
  5. Revelation 1:16
    In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.
    Revelation 1:15-17 (in Context) Revelation 1 (Whole Chapter)
  6. Revelation 1:20
    The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.
    Revelation 1:19-21 (in Context) Revelation 1 (Whole Chapter)
  7. Revelation 2:1
    [ To the church in Ephesus ] "To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands:
    Revelation 2:1-3 (in Context) Revelation 2 (Whole Chapter)
  8. Revelation 3:1
    [ To the Church in Sardis ] "To the angel of the church in Sardis write:These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.
    Revelation 3:1-3 (in Context) Revelation 3 (Whole Chapter)
  9. Revelation 4:5
    From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. Before the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God.
    Revelation 4:4-6 (in Context) Revelation 4 (Whole Chapter)
  10. Revelation 5:1
    [ The Scroll and the Lamb ] Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals.
    Revelation 5:1-3 (in Context) Revelation 5 (Whole Chapter)
  11. Revelation 5:5
    Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals."
    Revelation 5:4-6 (in Context) Revelation 5 (Whole Chapter)
  12. Revelation 5:6
    Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
    Revelation 5:5-7 (in Context) Revelation 5 (Whole Chapter)
  13. Revelation 6:1
    [ The Seals ] I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!"
    Revelation 6:1-3 (in Context) Revelation 6 (Whole Chapter)

The seven deadly sins... :D

Look, I am not questioning the fact that the number seven is considered holy in the Christian tradition. Tho I would suggest that the reason why is because God rested on the 7th day. But I don't see why that means that the number 6 is automatically "bad" or why any of this should have any bearing on the number of books currently accepted in the bible. erm...one version of the bible.

FFH

Veteran Member
6 + 6 = 12

12 is the number for perfection.

6 means man
2 means witness, or testimony.

The "Old" and "New" Testaments are 2 perfect witnesses of Christ to man.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
FFH said:
6 + 6 = 12

12 is the number for perfection.

6 means man
2 means witness, or testimony.

The "Old" and "New" Testaments are 2 perfect witnesses of Christ to man.
Love it! :D

FFH

Veteran Member
66 vs 666

2 - testify
3 - God
6 - man

66 (2 6's) - man who testifies of Christ
666 (3 6's) - man who makes himself Christ

No*s

Captain Obvious
JamesThePersian said:
I'm sure you're aware of this, but this is more for the others here. Our Bible has 78 books although two of these (4 Maccabees and the Prayer of Manessah are usually found in an appendix). The Roman Catholic canon has (I believe) 74 books and the narrow Ethiopian canon (there's a wide canon with extra NT books whose size I'm not clear on) has 78 also, but the list is different from ours as they have three books we do not and have omitted three that we do have.

I agree that the numerological aspect of the OP seems to be reading rather too much into things that sem entirely coincidental.

James

Yes, thanks for the correction. I always have trouble remembering how many of the books go into things :eek:.

Super Universe

Defender of God
The universe that we believe in is much, much, larger than our telescopes can see. Really it's a multi-verse with seven distinct parts.

The seven super universes are arranged in a circle around a very bright center, where God is. Each super universe has an archetype of God over it.

The Koran also says that there are seven universes.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I do not know why there are 66 books in the bible, we would have to ask the people who decided what was and was not 'bible worthy'.

But I do not think 6 is 'bad', just 'incomplete'. I like what Michel posted about the number 7. It kind of explains how carnal man (6) can be enlightened to a 7.

Michel said:
"7" Comes out as follows:-http://sun-angel.com/numerology/number_7.php

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Philosopher, sage, wisdom seeker, reserved,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
inventor, stoic, contemplative, aloof, deep-thinker, introspective, spiritual, faith, esoteric, exotic, unusual, hidden, seeking perfection, ethereal, other worldly, enigma​
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]