• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are some atheists so obsessed with "imminent death"?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Based on nothing but your posting style, I'd bet a good deal that your husband does so frequently.
You just don't notice.
Tom
On many things he does defer to me, business matters, finances, etc.
But on God-related matters he does not agree with me and digs in his heels.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Changing how we think can be accomplished to a certain degree, but we cannot always control our feelings. The key is to get thoughts and feelings working together, instead of fighting with each other.

I have been through much counseling, therapy and support groups and I am very introspective by nature, so I am well aware when I am "in my feelings" and that I am not really being rational, but that does not mean I can instantly snap out of those feelings if it is a major crisis. But that usually does not last very long. Sometimes it just takes talking to people who understand in order to snap out of the feelings and start to see things differently. That does not mean the feelings are not still there, but they do not completely bowl me over, and the thinking part gets back in charge.
I'm a definite advocate for various behavioral therapy modalities. They teach valuable tools anyone can learn to use to help themselves live a more peaceful, fulfilling and compassionate life. Talk therapy is good for many in the beginning to figure out the basis of issues but it is limited in what it can accomplish as far as personal growth. That takes understanding the mind and daily practice to reach the higher levels of introspection, healing and moving forward in the most positive manner possible.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Which I don't find all that meaningful, even if true.

It's not "all that meaningful (important)" that someone beaten to near-death, laid in an ice cold tomb, under pounds of spices and wrappings, rose from the dead, as predicted by multiple authors hundreds of years prior?!

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
And would you respond in the same way to someone who was somewhat inconvenienced for three days?

How do you conflate "marred more than any man, suffered for the sin He didn't do, took on the world's sorrow (Isaiah)" with "somewhat inconvenienced"?

Hebrews says, "Undertook the cross, despising the shame" and Philippians says "Though He was God, He became lowly for us..."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you conflate "marred more than any man, suffered for the sin He didn't do, took on the world's sorrow (Isaiah)" with "somewhat inconvenienced"?

Hebrews says, "Undertook the cross, despising the shame" and Philippians says "Though He was God, He became lowly for us..."

For a few hours of pain, and a few days in hell, he knew he was going to get out of it.

Not a big lift on his part, I would say. I mean, boohoo, he was 'shamed'.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
For a few hours of pain, and a few days in hell, he knew he was going to get out of it.

Not a big lift on his part, I would say. I mean, boohoo, he was 'shamed'.
I hope you do not believe any of this, for your sake. ;)
Imo, you atheists are a lot better off NOT believing in God if this is your only choice of belief.

amorphous_constellation

I was raised with a focus on atheist philosophy but I’ve come to the conclusion that a theism which focuses on reinforcing things like trust and community spirit may be a healthier alternative to an atheistically motivated permanent focus on cataclysms.

Well, I'm not entirely sure that the western conception of religion in onboard with that, and to me, I see at being just about the same as atheism, inasmuch as eschatology is concerned. For the atheists often dwell on the meaningless of it all, and muse likewise as those that fixate on the book of revelations. All roads lead to the cataclysm, and it looks exactly the same from the general atheist view or the general christian one. I think better teleology asks the question of how we can circumvent the nuclear warhead and the asteroid alike, and doesn't simply consign us to fate at some point. Nature is concerned with survival. We are a remarkable thing to exist, we are the thing that constructs the doors that lead out from all disaster, if only we work hard and think hard enough

The odds are against our survival. That's nothing to panic about. That's just a mater of fact.

If we can't outlive the crocodile or the coelacanth, I suppose nature will sell its stock on intelligence