• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are some atheists so obsessed with "imminent death"?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am an atheist and have been surrounded by atheists all my life. I also frequent atheists internet communties and frankly I never seen atheists dwell on cosmic catastrophy that are beyond our control.

It's a false narrative. I think enough atheists have made that same comment. I'll add my agreement here - this is simply a figment of some atheophobe's imagination presented without supporting evidence. He expects to be believed by faith, and will be by minds prepared by earlier theistic instruction to accept any negative claim about atheists. That's how its done.

Most atheists don't go about starting threads on how corrupt and immoral all theists are, yet it seems the type of rhetoric put forth by the op is saying that exact thing about atheists.

Well said.

The value of a thread like this is in pointing out this hypocrisy and self-blindness. Let every theist who wants to publicly demean and misrepresent atheists and atheism provide another opportunity to make the case that it is the theist who is obsessed and empty, grasping at fictions to find stability in a world atheists have conquered without such beliefs.

Isn't that really the source of all of this negativity for atheists? Our lives are testimony to the fact that one can live happily without religion, which undermines their main message of how much their religion and god belief is needed, and how it is the only path to happiness. Yet what do we see from them? They angrily strike out at what they cannot understand.

In this way, Baha'is are more like atheists because we are not waiting for God to fix any problems for us since building a better world is a job we have been given to do by God, through Baha'u'llah.

Building a better world is the job secular humanists have given themselves. They didn't need a reason other than that they are good people who want the best for all living things. That is clear in the Affirmations of Humanism. This is an extremely constructive and people-oriented outlook, and people created it without religious input.

The Affirmations of Humanism - A Statement of Principles

Affirmations of Humanism | Free Inquiry

We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.

We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.

We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.

We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.

We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.

We cultivate the arts of negotiation and compromise as a means of resolving differences and achieving mutual understanding.

We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.

We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.

We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.

We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.

We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.

We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.

We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.

We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.

We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.

We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.

We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.

We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Wrong on multiple levels. But why bother explaining again? Those of you who are willing to listen to atheists rather than tell what we believe already know. The rest are unreachable.
……….

Yeah, yeah - that's what we are. We're failed people "stuck in our egotistical presumptions." You're another one continually preaching his frustration that we just don't seem to need a god belief. You seem upset that we won't follow you.
An excellent post, truly. I just wanted to specially highlight these two points.

Like you, I get sick of threads that begin by telling me what I'm supposed to be thinking because I'm an atheist. I've written tons in these forums about what that means, and if anybody wants to know what I think, it's all here for the reading. People will learn nothing about me by telling me what they think of me. They'll learn lots just by listening.

To your second point, I really think there's something to the notion that religious atheist-baters really are a bit frightened by people that can live happy, fulfilled and contented lives without being terrorized by god-threats. I think that non-believers make them feel like their beliefs just might be as false as they appear to be on the surface.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Because it's a nihilist empty philosophy and they're trying to project this hopeless emptiness onto the rest of society

Yep...I've started giving out valued customer cards. For every nine attempts to convince someone else that life is empty and pointless I give them a tenth attempt free. It gives them a purpose. Ironically. Ahem.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
An excellent post, truly. I just wanted to specially highlight these two points.

Like you, I get sick of threads that begin by telling me what I'm supposed to be thinking because I'm an atheist. I've written tons in these forums about what that means, and if anybody wants to know what I think, it's all here for the reading. People will learn nothing about me by telling me what they think of me. They'll learn lots just by listening.

To your second point, I really think there's something to the notion that religious atheist-baters really are a bit frightened by people that can live happy, fulfilled and contented lives without being terrorized by god-threats. I think that non-believers make them feel like their beliefs just might be as false as they appear to be on the surface.

If I need someone to tell me what to think, I tend to defer to my wife, rather than God. Her wrath seems both scarier AND more obviously real.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
How is atheism any different?

What do you think "climate change" is?

Face it, deep in their heart even atheists understand that it feels like end times. So they too have doom and gloom messages encouraging people to recycle more, or whatever. As if the things of this world can save you.

Things in the world save you??!!?? Atheist do as a group show more concern for the environment for future generations than many Theists. What is wrong with this concern for the environment for the benifit of future generations? What has this to do with salvation that Theist believe in?

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If I need someone to tell me what to think, I tend to defer to my wife, rather than God. Her wrath seems both scarier AND more obviously real.
My husband never defers to me.... What's your wife's secret?
My husband always defers to God, he is one of those "true believers" who does not question anything.

Like all last night we had one of those "discussions" as to whether God is All-Loving.... I do not think so but he thinks so, and he won't budge from his position. Sorry, but no God that allows so much suffering in the world can be characterized as All-Loving. But my husband thinks he is God's lawyer as if God need a lawyer. :rolleyes:

The "discussion" usually ends up with my husband telling me I am really an atheist, so why don't I just admit it? Then I tell him I believe in God, so I cannot be an atheist, but I just cannot agree that God is All-Loving, because the evidence does not indicate that.... Then He says "okay then you are not really a Baha'i." Then I tell him that is none of his business; I am a Baha'i, but I just do not see things the way he does.

A God created a world that is a storehouse of suffering cannot be All-Loving. Well, he could not wiggle out of the fact that God created this world, so I had him backed into a corner.... Then the usual special pleading starts, and he tries to use the afterlife as an "excuse" for God allowing us to suffer in this life.... I have to agree that is a mitigating factor on God's behalf, but it is of no help now when people are suffering in this world, especially since so little has been revealed by God about this afterlife, and even what was revealed must be taken on faith.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Isn't that really the source of all of this negativity for atheists? Our lives are testimony to the fact that one can live happily without religion, which undermines their main message of how much their religion and god belief is needed, and how it is the only path to happiness.
Yes. It is most likely this because if they have to suffer, we should have to also. If they have to live a life chained to a particular doctrin and god in order to be a good human, we should be obligated to be chained as well. If they have to be moral, well atheists just can't do that without their version of god. So many seem to believe.

They cannot understand that each individual is solely responsible for their own level of suffering and how they view and experience life. We have to make decisions to facilitate the fairest and most fullest life possible. We just don't depend on religious doctrine or gods to make those decisions which pretty much renders their entire worldview as something not needed to live a good life. I imagine that probably causes some fear that what they have always believed just might not be true nor necessary to live and certainly scary for them if it's true that life ends at biological death.

So, some lash out. Or they just get a kick out of trying to make atheists look like evil scum. Who knows. It sure isn't from understanding the atheists they do encounter.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We have to make decisions to facilitate the fairest and most fullest life possible. We just don't depend on religious doctrine or gods to make those decisions which pretty much renders their entire worldview as something not needed to live a good life. I imagine that probably causes some fear that what they have always believed just might not be true nor necessary to live.
So, some lash out. Or they just get a kick out of trying to make atheists look like evil scum.
Yes, I think it does cause fear in them because it messes with their entire worldview, that belief in God is needed to live a good life. But the actual evidence contradicts this because atheists live just as good lives as believers, and because they do not do it for a reward in heaven, that speaks volumes.

Of course the reason they lash out is because of fear and because they are trying to protect what they believe, just as a dog lashes out at strangers, because of fear and a need to protect the owner's property.
Who knows. It sure isn't from understanding the atheists they do encounter.
I can testify to that because many believers do not even try to understand. They just label out of ignorance.

I always try to understand people because psychology is my other hat, one I wore much longer than the religion hat. ;)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I always try to understand people because psychology is my other hat, one I wore much longer than the religion hat. ;)
Psychology and the workings of the mind is an amazing and fascinating topic for sure. Learning how to train our minds so we control our thoughts instead of them controlling us is a worthwhile and life long adventure.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Psychology and the workings of the mind is an amazing and fascinating topic for sure. Learning how to train our minds so we control our thoughts instead of them controlling us is a worthwhile and life long adventure.
Changing how we think can be accomplished to a certain degree, but we cannot always control our feelings. The key is to get thoughts and feelings working together, instead of fighting with each other.

I have been through much counseling, therapy and support groups and I am very introspective by nature, so I am well aware when I am "in my feelings" and that I am not really being rational, but that does not mean I can instantly snap out of those feelings if it is a major crisis. But that usually does not last very long. Sometimes it just takes talking to people who understand in order to snap out of the feelings and start to see things differently. That does not mean the feelings are not still there, but they do not completely bowl me over, and the thinking part gets back in charge.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
[snip]

That's a meaningless question, and not given meaning by a god belief. According to your religion, the purpose for which you were created was to audition on earth for a chance to spend eternity praising a black hole of need. Could there be a more meaningless existence?

Yet many theists will tell us that without a god belief, life has no meaning or purpose. What does that tell us about the meaninglessness of their present existence, much less the future they anticipate?

[snip]

I have a different focus, a person, not Hell, for example, if someone fell on a hand grenade for me, that would change my life utterly. I would forever praise their memory. You must be a hard person to use “belief” like a weapon in this manner, when the reality is we are to trust in Him who loved us and gave us all He had to give.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a different focus, a person, not Hell, for example, if someone fell on a hand grenade for me, that would change my life utterly. I would forever praise their memory. You must be a hard person to use “belief” like a weapon in this manner, when the reality is we are to trust in Him who loved us and gave us all He had to give.

And would you respond in the same way to someone who was somewhat inconvenienced for three days?