• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are some atheists so obsessed with "imminent death"?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Apparently, like any other philosophy, some atheists may be convinced that their philosophy is superior to other philosophies. I‘ve noticed a tendency in certain atheist views to be focused on large or cosmic catastrophes that are mostly far beyond our control and always mean our total annihilation. Like a gamma ray burst hitting our planet and transforming our atmosphere into mostly nitrogen dioxide. Or the activity of dark matter or some sub-atomic particles ripping our universe apart or making it collapse, destroying all matter in this process. Or the hysteria about various diseases in far away countries with actually very low mortality rates. What is the good in focusing on catastrophes you mostly cannot prevent? The only effect I see is setting people into permanent panic mode. And what is the solution to this panic mode? Voidism? Consuming more and more?

I was raised with a focus on atheist philosophy but I’ve come to the conclusion that a theism which focuses on reinforcing things like trust and community spirit may be a healthier alternative to an atheistically motivated permanent focus on cataclysms.

Please discuss.

I dont agree with your assessment brother unless you mean some atheists worry about a natural catastrophe, while theists worry about a supernatural catastrophe, while other theists worry about natural catastrophe, and everyone is worrying about something while those who don't think others are worrying too much and those who do think the others are taking it too easy etc etc.

But i do agree that each of us may religiously believe our groups are superior than others and may even use that sentiment to boost a bit of our ego here and there.

Audie

Veteran Member
It is curious. Especially when one hangs out in a forum with atheists and can clearly read the information provided about what atheists are and are not.

My guess is different things involved.
One is, those in their religious group probably have
little or no social contact with atheists.
People who have been around Chinese figure out
we are just people, those who have not get strange
ideas.

Another is, those raised in god- belief may have this
as central to their lives as water is to fish!
So god-belief is "normal". Thems as dont have
aint normal.
I think a lot of them really cannot conceive of it at
all, and so we get "everybody worships something"
or "atheists make themselves their own god"
Etc.
We are not just different, we are less-than. Lacking
something. Given, more than likely, to base and ignoble
impulses. Afrer all, we've no moral compass of objective
moralit y, and no reason not to pillage.

Or as our opster has it, to weird delusions.

It does not good to explain, to those who cannot get it
that some of us fish get along just fine out of that kind
of water.
Everyone swims in some sort of water! :D

Audie

Veteran Member
Apparently, like any other philosophy, some atheists may be convinced that their philosophy is superior to other philosophies. I‘ve noticed a tendency in certain atheist views to be focused on large or cosmic catastrophes that are mostly far beyond our control and always mean our total annihilation. Like a gamma ray burst hitting our planet and transforming our atmosphere into mostly nitrogen dioxide. Or the activity of dark matter or some sub-atomic particles ripping our universe apart or making it collapse, destroying all matter in this process. Or the hysteria about various diseases in far away countries with actually very low mortality rates. What is the good in focusing on catastrophes you mostly cannot prevent? The only effect I see is setting people into permanent panic mode. And what is the solution to this panic mode? Voidism? Consuming more and more?

I was raised with a focus on atheist philosophy but I’ve come to the conclusion that a theism which focuses on reinforcing things like trust and community spirit may be a healthier alternative to an atheistically motivated permanent focus on cataclysms.

Please discuss.

Show us a goddist who does not think their
"Philosophy" is superior.

And then explain how not collecting stamps or
not believing in Nessie and Bigfoot is a "Philosophy".

Once you've done that you will be off to a good start
to tell us atheists what our philosophy is. We are curious to
learn.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Anyway, to add to what I posted earlier, there are some things that we can't do much about and many that we can do something. And if we can make the lives better for ourselves and subsequent generations by dealing with these latter issues, that are mostly man-made, then we should do so, and even perhaps do as much as possible to cope with the life-extinguishing events where we can too.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Please discuss.
I think the real question is why is it theists look to God to try to deal with these problems for them, while the atheist tries to do something constructive about it because they realize it's up to them?

Audie

Veteran Member
Anyway, to add to what I posted earlier, there are some things that we can't do much about and many that we can do something. And if we can make the lives better for ourselves and subsequent generations by dealing with these latter issues, that are mostly man-made, then we should do so, and even perhaps do as much as possible to cope with the life-extinguishing events where we can too.

A wide current through Christianity has been preaching the
passive acceptance of a sorry lot in life with the promise
of better things to come.
And the belief than conservation is pointless, god gave us
this stuff to use, ( it is all corrupt anyhow)
and when time comes, it will all wash away and be replaced
with paradise.

(Oh dear, am I being a atheist obsessed with doom,
if I notice that this may not work out?)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Please discuss.

What is the ultimate meaning of life via atheism?

Altfish

Veteran Member

Please discuss.
Have you got any examples of this, because I've not seen any talk of imminent catastrophy. It is just science, we are interested how the world begins and how it may end.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A wide current through Christianity has been preaching the
passive acceptance of a sorry lot in life with the promise
of better things to come.
And the belief than conservation is pointless, god gave us
this stuff to use, ( it is all corrupt anyhow)
and when time comes, it will all wash away and be replaced
with paradise.

(Oh dear, am I being a atheist obsessed with doom,
if I notice that this may not work out?)

Being resigned to anything is never appealing in my view, and those who persevere against the odds - even those apparently stacked against us by some imaginary god - deserve to be the winners in life. Can't stand the - this has been decreed, ordained, etc. - mentality. :D

A Vestigial Mote

Atheists seem to generally be people who have become stuck in their own egotistical presumptions about "objective reality" and "evidence", as if these somehow rendered imagination insignificant.
Imagination is 100% awesome and amazing.

Believing what you only imagine is NOT.

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
This is a laugh, surely? Have you not seem the religious doom-mongers on this site - many having different versions of the apocalypse facing us? Atheist or not, those who look at the evidence from our past, and what science tells us about the possible threats we face (who knows when?), shows it would be rather foolish to discount the possibility of any of these occurring - even if the odds are minimal. 65 millions years ago a rather large object hit the Earth, destroying much of life, and unfortunately we don't seem to have the capability of detecting ALL such threats. Our particular nasty object might appear at any time - with us being entirely unable to do anything about it. That's (one) reality.

Only those who can't place these threats into perspective are liable to permanent panic mode - that is, if we can't do anything about such threats then why worry and just accept this fact. Individually, we know we are all going to die, such that why should it even bother us if it applied to the whole human race?

How is atheism any different?

What do you think "climate change" is?

Face it, deep in their heart even atheists understand that it feels like end times. So they too have doom and gloom messages encouraging people to recycle more, or whatever. As if the things of this world can save you.

A Vestigial Mote

Please discuss.
Literally the only thing I can think of in this vein that I have ever seen from atheists is in their pointing out that random activity of "the universe" can, factually, destroy us, and using that to help another understand why they don't believe in God. Because if it can be evidenced that something like this has happened in the past (like the meteor that killed off the dinosaurs), and the same sorts of things occur in the universe currently, then the same possibility exists. God apparently didn't intervene on behalf of the dinosaurs, and from what we can see in reality as it presents itself to us now, God isn't around to intervene on our behalf either.

Otherwise, the ideas presented in your OP are foreign to me. I have no idea what you are talking about and haven't seen these atheists who are pre-occupied with the ends that the world can meet. Isn't it usually the religious who are the doomsday-ers?

A Vestigial Mote

Face it, deep in their heart even atheists understand that it feels like end times. So they too have doom and gloom messages encouraging people to recycle more, or whatever. As if the things of this world can save you.
I only see the world changing. I'd like it to continue containing human-kind, but I understand that if it doesn't, that's no skin off "the universe's back." From a human perspective, "the end" is the end of human life - but that's not really some ultimate "end." Not hardly.

So no. This doesn't "feel like the end times." We apparently have a very different understanding of "end."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Please discuss.

I've only thought of atheist as belief deities don't exist-anything more or less sounds more like personal preference it not specific to atheists as a whole.

Do you not see reinforcement in things like community and trust without the existence of deities?

Audie

Veteran Member

"even atheists" huh? Charming.

Making up "facts" about people you dont know is far from
clever or cool btw, and being bigoted about it is no help at all.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Hardly. My understanding of Climate Change indicates that it is a very serious problem, most likely brought about by human actions. That doesn't mean therefore that the 'End Times' are here, but that we should grasp this fact and endeavour to change our ways. A similar position exists with regards to pollution, our use of plastics, and how recycling is a much better option. We have been behaving rather foolishly perhaps, and as individuals we can't change that much, but we can vote for people who are likely to effect change. People like Trump are not going to help when even he seems to dismiss GW. The only things that will save us are 'things of this world' since the problems we face are 'of this world'. Religions have been foretelling doom since forever, perhaps one day they will be right, more by coincidence than anything else though.

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I see it as;
Those that will... and they think that their cognizance goes with them.
They believe in God, and the ending of life, spirit going on from there.
Everyone's spirit goes on, to merge with all the other spirit's......
That was possessive wasn't it ? ......What does a spirit possess ?
What my `spirit` will become....I know not...but it will be like the all.
No.....one can't take the cognizance with them....
An atheist see this...... and understands it......our spirits go with nothing.
Confusing...isn't it ?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Perhaps it is a local thing?
I have not run into any of the atheists described in your OP.
I have encountered numerous theists who concentrate on the end of the world in an attempt to sell their beliefs to others.
Same here.
This is the first I've heard of this.