1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are so many christians closed-minded? (my rant)

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by Rudy, Apr 20, 2004.

1. psychoslice

psychoslice Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,137
    Religion:
    my own religion
    There was no rule as there is here, they just want every one to agree with them, they them selves will go to a thread that doesn't agree with their beliefs and voice their opioins, and nothing is said, quite frankly they make me sick.

2. no intelectual

Ratings:
    +2
    What did you say if you don't mind my asking? Although, I am not surprised.

3. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    You hit it right on the head.

4. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    It's like they're afraid to be challenged.

5. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,110
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    It seems to me that in many religious groups a major, even decisive attractive is indeed the certainty that some challenges will not be tolerated, or even raised at all. People like certainty.

Christians are not even the worst offenders.

In any case, that is certainly troublesome.

I wonder. Is that a good thing somehow? As a phase, perhaps?

6. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    Maybe they think that if they are challenged, it means they're automatically wrong. To me, it should cement their beliefs, or expose that they're wrong. Either way, it elicits action, and thinking more deeply is always a good thing.

7. LuisDantas

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,110
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    I don't think it is anything quite that analytical, Thirza. More like they go to their meeting place to enjoy the feeling of having a common cause, of being a part of something big, and questioning is unpleasant and breaks that atmosphere.

Truth be told, such an atmosphere of "safety" is a basic human need. A good writer on the subject is Carl Rogers.

I just don't think it is very healthy to seek for it as a function of religious dogma.

8. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    I was hoping to attribute something more complex to it. lol

I love Carl. I wrote a paper on him in college. We got an A. :D

9. no intelectual

Ratings:
    +2
    Its not because they are afraid of being challenged They are plain and simply judging, but they are blind to see it.

10. ChristineES

ChristineES Tiggerism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Religion:
    Disciple of Yeshua.
    There is a time and a place for criticisms of someone's religion or whatever else and I think that a group specifically for the group is the right place. I think there are plenty of both religion and no-religion places, like the RF, for instance for that.

11. Satan's Right Hand Man

Ratings:
    +10
    They have to be closed minded and aggressive with their ideology because for one, their religious dogma is being challenged by science. For two their beliefs are being challenged by common sense left and right.

I mean, sure, their myths and dogma may have may perfect sense to people with the level of intelligence alive 2000 years ago... but people these days have intellectually developed since then.

12. Shermana

Shermana Heretic

Ratings:
    +327
    The problem with Christian closed mindedness isn't so much about science, as it seems almost all of the complaints are directed at their belief in a young Earth, as if that actually means anything in application, and is mostly just a non-issue in terms of real world action. The way I see it, the main problem is their particular doctrine and interpretations and how they lead a lifestyle, not their belief in science. As far as I'm concerned, whether they believe in a billions-year old Earth and Macro-evolution or not makes not one shred of difference in their personal lives except in discussions on science and if they want to pursue careers in the fields of geology. Even Creationist Biologists have made notable contributions, so I really don't see the problem with that, yet it's the main if not only concern besides their opposition to gay marriage that we ever see against them in that regard. If anything this regard may make them see human beings as having greater worth than those who view everyone as just developed apes.

The REAL problem regarding their unwillingness to address their doctrine is their lack of willingness to address the issue that their recent theologies are basically about "Do as thou wilt and Jesus forgives you", adopting a very overly anti-legalism attitude, in which they think they are basically allowed to live however they please with the excuse that Jesus forgives them.

This belief, I believe, makes them less moral and more willing to infringe on others than not.

#92 Shermana, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  13. LuisDantas

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,110
    Religion:
    Are you sure? The only example that might resemble that description in some way would be Stephen J. Gould, who is not a Creationist despite a lot of effort of presenting him as something like one.

The idea of a Creationist Biologist that manages to be competent anyway is quite counter-intuitive if not all-out contradictory. So if you know of any, I would like to learn of them.

There is something to that, but I fear you are underestimating the ethical and psychological damage that Creationism causes and demands in order to remain in existence. It is quite deep and IMO a far bigger problem than the excesses fed by anti-legalism.

14. Shermana

Shermana Heretic

Ratings:
    +327
    Sure.

Raymond Vahan Damadian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Board of the Institute for Creation Research.[29]
    They're there, their contributions are just for some reason overshadowed by others who haven't made nearly as much of a breakthrough.

Now what kind of "Ethical" and "psychological" damage are you talking about specifically?

15. LuisDantas

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,110
    Religion:
    I'm still not sure that he is a creationist, nor that he is a biologist.

I truly doubt one could be a functional biologist without washing away creationist (or shall I say anti-evolutionist?) views.

That created by continued exposure and participation to creationist culture and the intellectual vices and shortcomings that it needs to survive.

Continued appeal to authority, fear of questioning, extreme bias. You know the scenario.

16. Shermana

Shermana Heretic

Ratings:
    +327

#96 Shermana, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  17. LuisDantas

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,110
    Religion:
    It is a surprise, that I will readily grant you.

He seems to be a physicist, not a biologist. His MRI research is certainly not based on "non-evolutionist biology", if such a thing can even exist.

True enough, for what it is worth.

I just don't think you will have a very easy time finding examples in that particular field. It is much too slanted.

Really?

More like that Creationism can only be found in that environment, actually. The other way around.

The key word being "seems", I must assume.

In that it must be avoided fiercely? Yes, it is. That is in fact one of the main reasons why peer-review is so valued: to remove appeal to authority.

Heck, no.

18. psychoslice

psychoslice Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,137
    Religion:
    my own religion
    When we believe in something that gives us comfort, we cling to that and are afraid to adventure outside that comfort zone, so it could be fear that keeps us in our prison, a prison that we believe we are comfortable in.

19. dance-above

dance-above Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Christian way is the only way for them. What I don't understand is why so many nonbelievers try to change us. If non Christians were truly open minded they wouldn't care about what we were believing. But no you honestly believe we're wrong You want us to say their are other ways causing us to deny our faith. This would be damnation to us.

20. dance-above

dance-above Member

Ratings:
    +16
    The Christian way is "love " there is no law against this. No condemnation. No wrath of God