• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are people so fixated on how body should look?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
For a long time humans have been fixating on how we should look to be successful, but the look of our body does not say if we are successful or not.
Why do you think advertisment on TV are so focused on this?

Beauty come from within, does it not?

People have to conform to society in order to attract friends. They must appear as young as possible, as resourceful, as confident, as loving, as friendly etc. This is a survival trait, not an option. That's the answer, but I suggest with help you can do small things to make it better. People who band together to make society less cold, emotionally warmer and more supportive are religious. Usually I prefer a broader definition for religious, but that is a good sort of definition, too.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do not disagree with what you said here :) But to me, every person is beautiful no matter how the "outside" looks. And just to add something about my preferences toward females, personally I find females to be more beautiful when they do not use makeup, it's just something with makeup that put me off.

I guess to put this into perspective. I used to go to the gym a lot couple years back. I was walking about a couple of machines and the high level fitness room. The teacher was near over 200 some odd pounds-quite a lot that if you see someone that size in the streets (here) one would stereotypical never thought she would be a fitness teacher. I'm only 134 pounds. Anyway. She kept up with the high paced music. Bouncing (no pun) everywhere and striking every music-fitness move that I can't do without huffin' and puffin'.

It made me thinking that outside beauty, how you hold yourself, take care of yourself, dress yourself, etc is very attractive not in a superficially sense. That's what I mean by beauty.

A lot of external beauty isn't for other people to see but for your own self. So, external beauty is a reflection of your own self and your own self is reflected by how you take care of yourself. So, I could never be a fitness teacher. But my friend who is a little heaver than me says that when you run or jog with that weight it puts a lot of stress on your legs and ankles. So, she doesn't run like I do.

It's really all in perspective.

I had a former friend once who said looks are not important to her. I told her if that's the case, no one should be straight or gay. Think about it. If looks aren't important, then straight men can be with other men because it's the inside that counts. There is some level of external attraction that's a reflection of who we are and vis versa. It's natural.

It's alright to disagree, of course. Just that's what I meant by beauty: you proud of your body, your looks, your statue, and how you dress yourself, dolly yourself, etc is not superficial when it's reflected off your interests and not what others want you to look like.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I guess to put this into perspective. I used to go to the gym a lot couple years back. I was walking about a couple of machines and the high level fitness room. The teacher was near over 200 some odd pounds-quite a lot that if you see someone that size in the streets (here) one would stereotypical never thought she would be a fitness teacher. I'm only 134 pounds. Anyway. She kept up with the high paced music. Bouncing (no pun) everywhere and striking every music-fitness move that I can't do without huffin' and puffin'.

It made me thinking that outside beauty, how you hold yourself, take care of yourself, dress yourself, etc is very attractive not in a superficially sense. That's what I mean by beauty.

A lot of external beauty isn't for other people to see but for your own self. So, external beauty is a reflection of your own self and your own self is reflected by how you take care of yourself. So, I could never be a fitness teacher. But my friend who is a little heaver than me says that when you run or jog with that weight it puts a lot of stress on your legs and ankles. So, she doesn't run like I do.

It's really all in perspective.

I had a former friend once who said looks are not important to her. I told her if that's the case, no one should be straight or gay. Think about it. If looks aren't important, then straight men can be with other men because it's the inside that counts. There is some level of external attraction that's a reflection of who we are and vis versa. It's natural.

It's alright to disagree, of course. Just that's what I meant by beauty: you proud of your body, your looks, your statue, and how you dress yourself, dolly yourself, etc is not superficial when it's reflected off your interests and not what others want you to look like.
Looks is not important (to me) but the gender is very important, i would of course only date or be in a relationship with a woman, i can have male friends, but never think of them as anything else then a friend.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Looks is not important (to me) but the gender is very important, i would of course only date or be in a relationship with a woman, i can have male friends, but never think of them as anything else then a friend.

You kinda see where I'm getting at with the looks now?

For some natural reason and interconnection reason looks (the external genitalia) is just as important as what's the inner view. For example, if you dated the woman I mentioned in my example, like other women, there would need to be some external connection insofar your body and mind knows she is a woman and not a man.

I'm not sure how to split "flesh and spirit". How do you separate the two?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You kinda see where I'm getting at with the looks now?

For some natural reason and interconnection reason looks (the external genitalia) is just as important as what's the inner view. For example, if you dated the woman I mentioned in my example, like other women, there would need to be some external connection insofar your body and mind knows she is a woman and not a man.

I'm not sure how to split "flesh and spirit". How do you separate the two?
The body is a body, we have to genders male and females, since i am a hetrosexual man i will only have a relationship with woman.
The spiritual side of a person is much more interesting.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The body is a body, we have to genders male and females, since i am a hetrosexual man i will only have a relationship with woman.
The spiritual side of a person is much more interesting.

Do you understand the comparison though?

I'd never date a man but I do know that there are attractive men both in body and personality. In order for me to date a man, I'd have to be both mentally and physically attracted to him. Can you imagine my dating a man and saying "hey, you're ugly. But I like your spirit. Remember. It's the inside that counts." If it were the inside only, then he wouldn't take offense.

It's an extreme comparison but I'm talking about looks like genitalia rather than your attraction or lack thereof.

Jedster

For a long time humans have been fixating on how we should look to be successful, but the look of our body does not say if we are successful or not.

Sometimes people do not even know that they are becoming opinionated by others' appearance.
When I was in my early 20s I had a relationship with a woman who only ever knew me with a beard.( I had a full beard at the time).
After a couple of years,for some reason, I decided to shave off my beard one morning, and I did.
My partner, went beserk. She took it really personally.
It took her some weeks to realize, "it was only a beard".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do you understand the comparison though?

I'd never date a man but I do know that there are attractive men both in body and personality. In order for me to date a man, I'd have to be both mentally and physically attracted to him. Can you imagine my dating a man and saying "hey, you're ugly. But I like your spirit. Remember. It's the inside that counts." If it were the inside only, then he wouldn't take offense.

It's an extreme comparison but I'm talking about looks like genitalia rather than your attraction or lack thereof.
I do not say anyone is ugly, in my mind we all can be beautiful both within and outside

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do not say anyone is ugly, in my mind we all can be beautiful both within and outside

Do you get the comparison?

i.e. Saying John, you're ugly but it's the inside that counts or I am Bob and I like John because of his spirit even though I'm straight; it doesn't matter.

The term "You" is highly insensitive if not mosf of the time its used as a general term. Indirectness works the same; I mean the word you itself.

Skwim

Veteran Member

For those who are truly "fixated on how body should look" my guess is that they likely have a more highly developed libido than others and find it gratifying to appease their sense of sexual-self by enhancing their appearance, which may be no more than wearing high heel shoes to better shape their legs, to getting a boob job. OR maybe their libido has nothing to do with it, wherein such people may simply be in competition with others in the date & mate market, and are forced to better attend to their looks.

Personally, other than the hair on one's head I find body hair on women to be unsightly, which drastically lowers their appeal. But I do appreciate it when women go to the trouble to make themselves look attractive; whether its using a bit of makeup or consciously keeping the pounds off. As a result I've developed a fuzzy scale of beauty that ranges from *UGH* :thumbsdown: to "WOW" :thumbsup: and have concluded that not all people are beautiful, no matter how politically correct it may be to assert they are. Inwardly or outwardly some people just aren't attractive, to say nothing of beautiful. On the other hand, inwardly or outwardly some people are quite attractive, and even beautiful. In main though, most of us fall between the two extremes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying, to tell you honestly. I never said anything indirectly (and directly) referring to you.

Are you taking this a bit too personally?

MNoBody

vanity?
body-centric id-entification?

Shad

Veteran Member

As humans notice people they are attracted to. Attraction can bring in an audience that could be otherwise not interested in a product at first glance.

That is a different idea of beauty, one of character. External beauty still exists.