• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are people following other religions than your own doing well?

robo

Shalom/Namaste/Asalamaleikum:

This question is for those theists who believe only their religion is correct and everyone else's is wrong.

For instance, let us say you are a Sunni Muslim in Saudi Arabia and you believe that non-Sunnis are hell-bound in the hereafter.

I am sure there are happy Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, atheists everywhere. They are leading a happy life, they have ambitions, they are able to achieve their ambitions, etc., etc.

Why is Allah allowing these people to be happy here only to roast them in hellfire in the hereafter?

If Allah is the one true God, I would at least expect that non-Muslims who dont care about Allah or Mohammed are leading worse off lives than Muslims here on earth. :shrug:

What do you think?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What do you think?
I doubt you will find any Jew on this forum who will tell you that only Judaism is the way to go. I would encourage anyone to research their own personal traditional background regardless of its origin and regardless if they spiritually adhere to it or not.

robo

I doubt you will find any Jew on this forum who will tell you that only Judaism is the way to go. I would encourage anyone to research their own personal traditional background regardless of its origin and regardless if they spiritually adhere to it or not.

Good for Judaism! Non-Jews are NOT hell-bound. That is good!

BTW...is there a heaven/hell in Judaism?

What are the criteria for entry?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

The Hebrew Bible says very little about the afterlife, the ancient concept of hell is more similar to the Greek hades than to the Lake of Fire of later Abrahamic religions. in fact the more frequent Biblical reference is simply to the grave.

robo

The Hebrew Bible says very little about the afterlife, the ancient concept of hell is more similar to the Greek hades than to the Lake of Fire of later Abrahamic religions. in fact the more frequent Biblical reference is simply to the grave.

I am somewhat confused. Is there an afterlife in Judaism or no?

Assuming there is [I could be wrong...I dont know about Greek hades or Lake of fire, etc.] would it be fair then to say that the Jewish God doesnt actually care what race you are, what religion you followed, what language you spoke, etc...

Your God would treat everyone based on the merit of actions rather than beliefs?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
In Buddhism, spirituality is a matter of personal choice. Most Buddhists don't say you have to follow Buddhism for spiritual attainment, but to follow your own path faithfully. The same can be said of how well one does while on earth. It's not about what religion you follow, but about your past actions. Attainment, whether material or spiritual, is based on right action, not some sort of correct belief system.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be

Assuming there is [I could be wrong...I dont know about Greek hades or Lake of fire, etc.] would it be fair then to say that the Jewish God doesnt actually care what race you are, what religion you followed, what language you spoke, etc...

Your God would treat everyone based on the merit of actions rather than beliefs?

Yes you are right. The Talmud says that "the righteous of all faiths have a share in the world to come(afterlife)"

As for the answer to your original question.. I think its because God is too great, to infinite to only have 1 legitimate way of experiencing and having a relationship with Him.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

Good question. I'll let you know after I die.

The answer is fairly vague actually. We are told there is a world to come, but we don't know if it's literal or metaphorical, spiritual or physical. Some people believe in an afterlife, and others don't.

Yep, that's pretty much the idea. Judaism is how Jews relate to God; other groups have their own ways of relating to God. Judaism is focused on the actions of the living much more than what happens after we die. Live a good life, be compassionate to your fellow man, and fight for justice. Everything else will take of itself.

Or at least that's my opinion on it. And I certainly don't speak for everyone.:D

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Many Jews will tell you no. we don't have a central authority like the Vatican in Judaism. different brands of Judaism place various levels of importance on the different Jewish libraries. many Jews consider the Hebrew Bible to be the pinnacle and the hallmark of Judaism, some other brands, usually the more stricter brands of Judaism place equal importance on the Talmud and other Rabbinical texts.
in general in historical classical Judaism there is a reference to the grave rather to an afterlife, later by Hellenistic diffusion with Judaism the idea developed into a form of purgatory, its not the classical Hell of Christianity but rather a period in which the deceased learns of his shortcomings, this period is not eternal, and at most lasts one year.
Me? I would say there is no afterlife, and that the Bible talks about the grave, and resting with your ancestors.

Yes I would say that. in the Bible God turns to various nations other than Israel when he desires to guide them. for example the prophet Jonah was sent to the Assyrians. also some non Israelite figures and people were instrumental in taking part in the positive side of the Biblical narratives, for example Phoenician or Persian monarchs.

Exactly. Judaism is a religion of works. although personally I would say that healthy faith is as good as works.

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher

There is no agreement on what happens after death: historically, most Jews have believed in some kind of afterlife, but there has never been a consensus on what occurs there.

Historically, most Jews have believed in something roughly akin to heaven, called Olam ha-Ba ("The World To Come"), and there has generally been a sense that really bad people do not get to go there. But how that works, and just what does happen, no one agrees.

There have been some who have believed in a somewhat hell-like (more purgatory-like) place called Gehinnom, where the souls of the wicked "work off" their misdeeds before going to Olam ha-Ba. But such a belief has never been more than a strong minority opinion.

Among the Kabbalists, there is also a belief in a cycle of reincarnation, and that belief in beginning to be found outside of mystical circles, though only in a very small minority.

Generally speaking, the "requirements" for a positive afterlife experience are vague, but everyone seems to agree that one must live a good life. For Jews, that includes following the commandments as best one can; for non-Jews, trying to live ethical lives and create just societies, helping in the process of tikkun olam (healing/repairing/amending/perfecting the world) is what is expected.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. As with Judaism and Buddhism, pretty much every flavor of Paganism (neo or otherwise) is also disqualified from answering this question. We're not exclusivists. Religious exclusivism is something of an aberration in the religious landscape: it's the exception rather than the norm. Certain branches of Christianity are the only faiths I know enough of to understand they're exclusivist.

arthra

Baha'i

This question is for those theists who believe only their religion is correct and everyone else's is wrong.

For instance, let us say you are a Sunni Muslim in Saudi Arabia and you believe that non-Sunnis are hell-bound in the hereafter.

I am sure there are happy Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, atheists everywhere. They are leading a happy life, they have ambitions, they are able to achieve their ambitions, etc., etc.

Why is Allah allowing these people to be happy here only to roast them in hellfire in the hereafter?

If Allah is the one true God, I would at least expect that non-Muslims who dont care about Allah or Mohammed are leading worse off lives than Muslims here on earth. :shrug:

What do you think?

As a Baha'i I believe there is truth in all the major religions and that religion is one revealed by God...

Doing well in this life...having success and say happiness doesn't mean though they are spiritually in tune or shall we say deeply happy, in other words, they could materially have everything one could want and still be unhappy in a spiritual way.

That's why some at the acme of success turn away from it and give up everything... or they have everything and then commit suicide!

From the Hidden Words:

O SON OF BEING!

Busy not thyself with this world, for with fire We test the gold, and with gold We test Our servants.

O SON OF MAN!

Thou dost wish for gold and I desire thy freedom from it. Thou thinkest thyself rich in its possession, and I recognize thy wealth in thy sanctity therefrom. By My life! This is My knowledge, and that is thy fancy; how can My way accord with thine?

robo

Doing well in this life...having success and say happiness doesn't mean though they are spiritually in tune or shall we say deeply happy, in other words, they could materially have everything one could want and still be unhappy in a spiritual way.

That's why some at the acme of success turn away from it and give up everything... or they have everything and then commit suicide!

But why are we talking of extremes?

There are normal people Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, atheist, etc. who are all non-Bahai [is Bahai different from Islam? - I dont know] who are just happy and are fine without believing in Bahaism.

Busy not thyself with this world, for with fire We test the gold, and with gold We test Our servants.

I was rather hoping that a benevolent God that wanted us to follow the right religion would give us quite easy to discern clues - for instance, believers in that God doing well, while non-believers in that God doing bad.

Now, I have to keep guessing and looking which is the true religion.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
robo said:

If you think in terms of black and white like that, chances are, you'll never be satisfied in trying to find the "true religion". Rather, see them all as equally valid, and that there are a multiplicity of religions that are catered to different mindsets and personality types. Don't waste time trying to find the "true religion", rather, find the religion that is true for you. You'll be much happier that way.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I doubt you will find any Jew on this forum who will tell you that only Judaism is the way to go.

The same can be said for Hinduism. You would be hard-pressed to find any Hindu of any sect who says his sect and/or Hinduism itself is the only way. I always quote a verse from the Rig Veda, Hinduism's oldest scripture: ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti meaning "There is one Truth; the wise know it by many names".

arthra

Baha'i
But why are we talking of extremes?

There are normal people Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, atheist, etc. who are all non-Bahai [is Bahai different from Islam? - I dont know] who are just happy and are fine without believing in Bahaism.

I was rather hoping that a benevolent God that wanted us to follow the right religion would give us quite easy to discern clues - for instance, believers in that God doing well, while non-believers in that God doing bad.

Thanks for your reply Robo...

I wasn't aware I was talking "extremes"..

Yes Baha'i Faith is different from Islam. Yes we're aware people are happy in other religions and we accept that. They all have a Divine origin. Yes atheists can find happiness in this life as well..

I think a truly Benevolent God has already given us signs and clues and yes you can seek for them. :yes:

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you think?

Anybody who's truly happy is following my religion, regardless of what church they go to (quite possibly better than I am most of the time).