• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are people expected to dress nicely at church?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Mitty I not know what to say. You say President Trump not be your President . In many cultures that would be called treason. In Australia we do give all visiting foreign leaders and dignitaries the prestige and respect they deserve including President Trump. You may not like. But President Trump is still your President. As to morals even when President Bill did find Moniker under his table we still much respect as the headship of your nation
No one has been "my president." They work for me, not the other way around. And because for most of my life Ive had zero and minimal representation in Washington or at the state and local level, they aren't mine (Newsom's election here is the first time Ive had any thing resembles representationat at the governor level).
As for Trump, if he wants that respect he can shut up and remember who hes talking to. He attacks my community, he attacks Americans, he attacks our troops and veterans. He also has less than a mandate.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I don't know how your Kingdom Halls work but many Catholic and Episcopal parishes are open all day for people to come and pray in the sanctuary or try to speak with clergy. They usually have signs out front saying "all are welcome" or something similar, not "all are welcome unless you don't fit our standards of dress".

Jehovah's Witnesses are very different to the churches of Christendom. You cannot "join" our church like you would a club....or wander in and out at will. Membership in our congregations is made up of those who are dedicated to God and Christ in a relationship that is contracted by baptism...it involves study and heartfelt appreciation for what the Bible teaches. Until the day that you are baptized, you are not one of Jehovah's Witnesses, not even if you were born to JW parents. When you are of age, you must choose of your own free will to become a Witness of Jehovah. It means that you are ordained for the ministry of preaching the good news about God's Kingdom, which all JW's do. It also means that you are under obligation to follow through on your vow of dedication to God to uphold all the teachings of the Christ.....not just the convenient ones. There are obligations and responsibilities but they are undertaken freely and unreservedly.

So just as a person is bound in a marriage to a mate, we are bound in a relationship to God through his Christ to uphold what he taught for the rest of our lives....to put God's things first in our lives. We see baptism as a symbolic "death" to self and a rising up to do the will of God in all things. To us it is like a legally binding contract.

Our dress code is for us....we do not impose it on others. All are welcome at our meetings. But when interested people come and see that all in the congregation are well dressed, they soon see the need to also respect God by the way they dress. It is not forced, but is something that comes from the heart because we love God and never want to disrespect him.

At the Episcopal parish I attend, there might be a couple homeless people sitting or sleeping in the pews during and around the liturgy. No one cares and they don't bother anyone. Yes, they are dressed in shabby clothing, too. But they are still God's children and it's better they be in a church then on the street, even if it's just for a few hours.

Our aim is not to leave them sleeping on the streets or anywhere else. We would first ascertain if they are interested in coming to know God, or just needing assistance to cope with their circumstances.
You see, we firmly believe that those who want to come to God....that God will come to them....and he will lift them out of their sad circumstances.

If they are only "rice christians" then we are not under obligation to help them in any ongoing way, unless they want to get to know God and are willing to help themselves. I know many who are regular visitors to church run groups in my area just show up for the free food. They are not interested in improving their lot, just sponging off those silly enough to keep feeding them. What positive thing does that accomplish? There are way too many 'users' in this world.

The story of the good Samaritan is not only about the religion of the main characters....but the fact that a man saw a fellow human in need, and it didn't matter what religion he was, (Jews hated Samaritans) the help was offered on humanitarian grounds. It was a 'hand-up' though, not an ongoing 'hand-out'. Once the man recovered and was able to resume his activities, he was not in need of help anymore.

In the first century Christian widows were cared for by the brotherhood, but they had to be needy Christians to qualify. Jesus made no recommendations for the poor in the population generally speaking. The Christians took care of their own, which in this world is hardly what we see the churches doing. Even in ancient Israel, the perimeters of the fields were left for the poor to work and collect their own food. It gave them dignity to acquire food with their own hands.

We don't teach dependency, we teach self-sufficiency. Even as the disciples in the first century did. The poor were sometimes forced to sell themselves into slavery to keep a roof over their heads and food in their bellies. Their Jewish brothers could offer them a job and even some small remuneration for their services. It usually involved basic accommodation and food and a man could bring his wife and children into service with him. All would work to support their family in the service of a hopefully kind master. I think it was a good system.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I can't imagine God cares what you are wearing, and it shouldn't matter to people what you wear as long as it's reasonable.
You too have your specifications about what to wear in a church, temple, mosque, etc. (Define reasonable). I suppose that is all that is asked for.

Well, if one has a marriageable son or daughter in India, dressing well is expected. :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Very sad. :(

I was also wondering where this idea started and if it's more of an American thing.

There's certainly a dress code when visiting the Vatican, and it's relatively conservative and enforced.
Long shorts are generally okay, but anything showing knee for men is not so good. And I've heard stories of long shorts being problematic too, just depending on the particular guard (there is a border control you need to cross).

Similarly showing shoulders for women, as well as knees.

I don't believe modesty of dress, or dress codes, are American in any way, shape or form.

I wouldn't swear to the accuracy of this, since it's not exactly a website I'd normally frequent, but it mostly rings true with other things I've read.

The Origin of Dressing Up for Church

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
There are different styles of church. I read some article about this girl finding a church that accepted her holey jeans (some churches are all about hospitality).

But the idea behind this dressing up thing is that we present our best self to God. To me, this means presenting as female, since my male self is a bit of a slob. But it also means I am honest about a facet of me that most people don't know about.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I never understood this. It always struck me as a bit of vanity. I don't know where this started, either. I can't imagine God cares what you are wearing, and it shouldn't matter to people what you wear as long as it's reasonable. The first Christians were poor people and slaves so I can imagine that they were a dirty bunch wearing rags. But these were Jesus' best friends.

"1 My brothers and sisters, practice your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ by not favoring one person over another. 2 For example, two men come to your worship service. One man is wearing gold rings and fine clothes; the other man, who is poor, is wearing shabby clothes. 3 Suppose you give special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say to him, “Please have a seat.” But you say to the poor man, “Stand over there,” or “Sit on the floor at my feet.” 4 Aren’t you discriminating against people and using a corrupt standard to make judgments?

5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters! Didn’t God choose poor people in the world to become rich in faith and to receive the kingdom that he promised to those who love him? 6 Yet, you show no respect to poor people. Don’t rich people oppress you and drag you into court? 7 Don’t they curse the good name of Jesus, the name that was used to bless you?" - 2 James 2:1-7
Because God lives in churches! :D

firedragon

Veteran Member
I never understood this. It always struck me as a bit of vanity. I don't know where this started, either. I can't imagine God cares what you are wearing, and it shouldn't matter to people what you wear as long as it's reasonable. The first Christians were poor people and slaves so I can imagine that they were a dirty bunch wearing rags. But these were Jesus' best friends.

"1 My brothers and sisters, practice your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ by not favoring one person over another. 2 For example, two men come to your worship service. One man is wearing gold rings and fine clothes; the other man, who is poor, is wearing shabby clothes. 3 Suppose you give special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say to him, “Please have a seat.” But you say to the poor man, “Stand over there,” or “Sit on the floor at my feet.” 4 Aren’t you discriminating against people and using a corrupt standard to make judgments?

5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters! Didn’t God choose poor people in the world to become rich in faith and to receive the kingdom that he promised to those who love him? 6 Yet, you show no respect to poor people. Don’t rich people oppress you and drag you into court? 7 Don’t they curse the good name of Jesus, the name that was used to bless you?" - 2 James 2:1-7

With all due respect, this is your experience but it cannot be coined "church" generally. You see there are thousands of churches in Africa and you should see how they dress. Its not that they dress down, they do dress up, but that's not because of expectations but their own intuition. Yet I do not speak on behalf of all churches but only the ones I have seen. You should see the church in Palestine, Bethlehem where people believe that Jesus's crib is placed there and there is a very famous painting of Infant Jesus there with mother Mary. I can't see any such expectations there. Also there are some churches in south East Asia where high end churches in high up places will see very well dressed people to keep up appearances, yet in other places you would see rags.

Im just saying that your experience is not general.

Cheers.

Prim969

As far as I know he ain't my president yet, even though he wants to sell Puerto Rico so that he can buy Greenland, which is why the only thing he worships is himself, and I haven't heard that he wants to do a deal with Scomo instead of Denmark so far.
Ok I did check. Mitty you be Australian My apologies. You did mention President Trump so much that I thought you were American. As to Greenland. The Danish may not as generous as the Russians who gave away Alaska at a bargain price in the late1860’s. I’m not exactly sure about Puerto Rico. Only that it sort of functions as some sort of a independent commonwealth with America. There has been much discussion, activity and legislation back and forth over the yrs with the possibility of Puerto Rico becoming a state of America. As to doing a deal with our Prime Minister. Mitty I do think we already have a strong alliance.with America.

Last edited:

Erebus

I was also wondering where this idea started and if it's more of an American thing.

It's not just an American thing.

While most of my family were never really church-goers, my mum's side definitely were when she was a teenager. They went to an Anglican high church* and she said there was a definite air of snobbishness about it.

"Oh dear, look at what she's wearing. Her family can't be doing too well if she's dressed like that."

It was a community and therefore prone to people forming cliques and imposing particular norms. Dressing up was just one of those norms. Needless to say, that was one of the reasons my mum fell out of love with church and ended up going her own way.

*To give a rough image, picture a hybrid of Protestantism and Catholicism.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I used to think there was vanity involved when I was younger and there very well may be. At the church I attend one guy wears clothes that could be considered inappropriate, but I think he does it on purpose and comes to worship God and does not really care if people want to judge him for what he wears.

nPeace

Veteran Member

I appreciate one who uses references to support (or try to support) their argument.
t2007.gif
for that.
I only have a couple minutes... enough to glance at a few comments, but I'll be back to take an extensive look.
it's likely my two cents won't be needed. ;)

A Vestigial Mote

Dressing well makes one feel well.
I am pretty sure that what "well" means is subjective. I, for one, always (and I mean always) feel more "well" when I am comfortable. I don't care one bit for trappings of any kind, no matter how "good" anyone thinks they make me look, that detract from my level of comfort. I'll wear them... but to be sure, I do so only for the sake of others who have (what I consider to be) ridiculous notions about how "good" someone might look in a pair of pants, shirt, coat or tie. So if I want to feel "well", you can bet I am wearing something comfortable. Anyone who wants to look at me funny in any given context is welcome to have at it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Personally, I dress nicely out of respect for God. Obviously, there are dozens of ways in which I can show respect for Him, but this is one of them. I feel more comfortable going into a place where I am going to worship Him if I look like I care.

Tambourine

I don't know how your Kingdom Halls work but many Catholic and Episcopal parishes are open all day for people to come and pray in the sanctuary or try to speak with clergy. They usually have signs out front saying "all are welcome" or something similar, not "all are welcome unless you don't fit our standards of dress". At the Episcopal parish I attend, there might be a couple homeless people sitting or sleeping in the pews during and around the liturgy. No one cares and they don't bother anyone. Yes, they are dressed in shabby clothing, too. But they are still God's children and it's better they be in a church then on the street, even if it's just for a few hours.
Over here, people would still be expected to dress properly for mass in a Roman Catholic church, and you would absolutely not see any homeless people lingering around during those times (or ever, really). So it seems to me like that attitude seems very much limited to America.

In rural areas of Central Europe, it used to be common for people to have an entire set of nice clothes they would only wear to church.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I think dressing up a bit is normally a sign of respect, isn't it?

I must admit I think it is pretty slack and lazy to go to church looking like a slob, when you dress well to go to work for instance.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There's certainly a dress code when visiting the Vatican, and it's relatively conservative and enforced.
Long shorts are generally okay, but anything showing knee for men is not so good. And I've heard stories of long shorts being problematic too, just depending on the particular guard (there is a border control you need to cross).

Similarly showing shoulders for women, as well as knees.

I don't believe modesty of dress, or dress codes, are American in any way, shape or form.

I wouldn't swear to the accuracy of this, since it's not exactly a website I'd normally frequent, but it mostly rings true with other things I've read.

The Origin of Dressing Up for Church
Oh, I know about the modesty requirements for visiting the Vatican. That's not what I was talking about. I was thinking of being expected to wear formal clothes like suits and dresses to church. Dressing up.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Over here, people would still be expected to dress properly for mass in a Roman Catholic church, and you would absolutely not see any homeless people lingering around during those times (or ever, really). So it seems to me like that attitude seems very much limited to America.

In rural areas of Central Europe, it used to be common for people to have an entire set of nice clothes they would only wear to church.
Well, that's disappointing to hear.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
1. The wrong type of grooming can give the wrong impression on a Christian's morals and principles. - 1 Timothy 2:9.
2. Whatever we wear should in no way be a cause of stumbling for another person, believer or unbeliever. - 2 Corinthians 6:3.
3. When selecting what you wear have in mind what God wants. Will this raise eye-brows? Will it lower the standards I have? Does it fit? Is it appropriate for my age? Number 15:39.
4. Is the clothing upbuilding, does it represent Jehovah God in a fine manner? Would someone be shocked to know one is a Jehovah's Witness if they saw the way they dressed. - 1 Corinthians 10:23, 24.
5. It is good to look to mature Christians and their standards for dress and grooming if we are perplexed as to how to dress. -Philippians 3:17.
None of those verses are about dress codes or telling people to dress up. You're misrepresenting them.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes. The OP exists to question why. I am too am adding my thoughts on the subject. That's called a "debate."
And, BTW, the time I went to church at my moms request, I did rock what I want with black pants and blouse, a Black Mass amulet with Lucifer's sigil on it, piercings (including facial) not taken out (all black clothes and black nails too). Nobody noticed the sigil, which I didn't think they would. But it's the thought that counts.
And that's basically my normal day-to-day look. I do wear tennis shoes with jt, but that has a lot to do with having thicker and softer soles for my feet that are lopsided and crooked. But I select a pair to stand out, and they are white and black, and own the fact I mix trainers with business casual and don't try to hide it.
I used to feel a lot of anxiety about going to Mass because I didn't have formal clothes and I felt I would be rejected over my normal attire. That was when I attended the cathedral, which was mostly older conservative upper class whites.