• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are people afraid of creationism?

Shakeel

Definition of creationism:

"creationism, the belief that the universe and the various forms of life were created by God out of nothing (ex nihilo)."
creationism | Definitions, History, & Facts

[kind of dubious that the article goes on to say, "It is a response primarily to modern evolutionary theory," since the idea of creationism was definitely there before the evolution theory.]

So we're not talking about biblical view to creationism alone.

I, as a Muslim, believe in science (in the sense that I acknowledge what has been achieved and found by it and that it is useful to study) and I don't deny much of the evolutionary theory, nor do I confirm it. I don't think it's important. The main thing about it that Muslims object to is the creation of man and that he supposedly evolved from the ancestors of monkeys. So there's plenty of room for science.

But there doesn't seem to be room for creationism anywhere according to some atheists and even some hypocritical believers.

What is the harm in it being said that God created everything? The children are going to hear it anyway.

In my opinion it is nothing but one of the many tactics used to attempt to annihilate religion, belief, and righteousness.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure "afraid" is the right word.

Evolution happened. It's still happening.

It helps to understand what a scientific theory is. It's not a guess. It's framework of observations and facts supported by evidence.

I'm as afraid of creationism as I am of 2 plus 2 being 343.

epronovost

Not sure "afraid" is the right word.

Evolution happened. It's still happening.

It helps to understand what a scientific theory is. It's not a guess. It's framework of observations and facts supported by evidence.

I'm as afraid of creationism as I am of 2 plus 2 being 343.

Basically this.

Creationism is false and those who would defend it outside of some moralistic fable with religious accent and origins, in other words those who defend it as a framework of observations of the material world, are simply flat out wrong.

What people like I and others are afraid off is seeing this falsehood gain the same status that something that's actually true and destroy the entire edifice of honest investigation and education in the process.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

"creationism, the belief that the universe and the various forms of life were created by God out of nothing (ex nihilo)."

[kind of dubious that the article goes on to say, "It is a response primarily to modern evolutionary theory," since the idea of creationism was definitely there before the evolution theory.]

I, as a Muslim, believe in science (in the sense that I acknowledge what has been achieved and found by it and that it is useful to study) and I don't deny much of the evolutionary theory, nor do I confirm it. I don't think it's important. The main thing about it that Muslims object to is the creation of man and that he supposedly evolved from the ancestors of monkeys. So there's plenty of room for science.

But there doesn't seem to be room for creationism anywhere according to some atheists and even some hypocritical believers.

What is the harm in it being said that God created everything? The children are going to hear it anyway.

In my opinion it is nothing but one of the many tactics used to attempt to annihilate religion, belief, and righteousness.
The problem is that its scientifically established that humans did evolve from ancestral apes. So that aspect of creationist belief is simply wrong.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

First all thos who believe in Creation by God of our physical existence do not believe ir was necessarily 'Created out of nothing.' Scientists who believe in evolution, abiogenesis and the knowledge of science have many diverse beliefs and many believe in God and Creation. The objection by most scientists is not religion as such, but those who do not accept the knowledge of science in terms of evolution, abiogenesis and the history of the universe.

Many Muslims do not necessarily believe completely in evolution as the knowledge of science has demonstrated. In particular the decent of humans from and in relationship with primates

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem is that its scientifically established that humans did evolve from ancestral apes. So that aspect of creationist belief is simply wrong.

Isn't this the foundation of creationism, though? That species didn't evolve? That they were just created by God as they are?

I can accept a divine foundation for the universe or existence as a whole, but I don't consider that to be creationism as the term is typically used.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don't think creationism is something people are afraid of.

It has more to do with the question as to why people convince themselves on things that have no bearing on how things actually are , preferring a mythology or ideology in place of direct observation and tactile information.

HonestJoe

The main thing about it that Muslims object to is the creation of man and that he supposedly evolved from the ancestors of monkeys. So there's plenty of room for science.
Isn't that contradictory? I think it demonstrates part of the problem. You say "there is room for science" but the moment (you think) the science contradicts your religious beliefs, the science is instantly dismissed.

Where are you expecting there to be "room for creationism"? Nobody can stop you believing it and you're free to include it in religious doctrine. It only becomes an issue when people try to push it in to education or science.

The issue with how creationism is commonly presented in that context is that anything that contradicts the religious beliefs being presented is automatically dismissed as false - either lies or ignorance - without any justification. Attempts to make science fit religious beliefs twists facts and science beyond all recognition. The entire process just makes science look bad (sometimes intentionally) and that is problematic. We're seeing today in the pandemic how harmful unconditional fear, distrust or even outright hatred of science and scientists can be, with things being automatically dismissed as false or lies just because it's scientists saying things some people don't want to hear.

People who want to "annihilate religion" may well use this as a tool to try to achieve that but that doesn't mean everyone who challenges promotion of creationism has that motive. You could say exactly the same about attempts to annihilate science and secularism after all.

Erebus

If we're talking about teaching it in schools, I do think it can be valuable to have lessons on creation stories. I also don't think that should be restricted to the Abrahamic faiths. There are many, many creation stories from other faiths and traditions and they're almost always neglected in the classroom. Christianity, Islam and Judaism aren't the only religions out there but you might think they are if my own religious education in school is anything to go by.

That leads to my second point. These stories should be taught in religious education classes, not science classes. Give students the proper context for these stories.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

We are as afraid of creationism as we are for the theory that kids are brought about by storks.

And if I knew my sons learn biology from someone advocating the stork theory for the origin of kids, I would be a little concerned. Wouldn't you?

Ciao

- viole

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't this the foundation of creationism, though? That species didn't evolve? That they were just created by God as they are?

I can accept a divine foundation for the universe or existence as a whole, but I don't consider that to be creationism as the term is typically used.
I am responding to how the OP is defining it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Creationism as defined there is not a problem.

One can believe in God and also understand that evolution is true and that humans evolved from other apes (not monkeys). They can accept the Big Bang model of the universe. This form of creationism is not an issue.

The problem comes, not with creationism as you defined it, but with science denial:if your religious beliefs go further and claim that humans were a special creation, that the Earth is only tens of thousands of years old, that the universe is static, or that there was a global flood, *then* there is a problem.

\
The main thing about it that Muslims object to is the creation of man and that he supposedly evolved from the ancestors of monkeys.

That is an example of the problem. The *evidence* shows this to be incorrect. Your choices are to either deny the science and believe humans are not evolved, or to re-interpret the religious notions to be in line with the science. Your choice.

And it isn't fear. It is closer to the emotion one has towards someone who believes in elves or unicorns.

Shakeel

We are as afraid of creationism as we are for the theory that kids are brought about by storks.

And if I knew my sons learn biology from someone advocating the stork theory for the origin of kids, I would be a little concerned. Wouldn't you?

Ciao

- viole
I'm not afraid of the story about kids being brought by storks. That isn't a theory though, it is a fable. Would you rather they teach in kindergarten the details of sexual acts and intimacy?
I don't think creationism is something people are afraid of.

It has more to do with the question as to why people convince themselves on things that have no bearing on how things actually are , preferring a mythology or ideology in place of direct observation and tactile information.
It would be rather self righteous and oppressive to try to force them stop believing, seeing as it makes many people feel better and behave better. Our main problem with those who are insane is that their feelings and behaviour are mostly negative and directly harmful.

tas8831

The main thing about it that Muslims object to is the creation of man and that he supposedly evolved from the ancestors of monkeys. So there's plenty of room for science.
Cute how science is OK until it conflicts with ancient beliefs. Not very logical, but whatever.
Rational people that do not see a reason to have arbitrary limits on what aspects of scientific investigation should be accepted and what should be ignored or dismissed?
How horrible!!
:facepalm:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not afraid of the story about kids being brought by storks. That isn't a theory though, it is a fable. Would you rather they teach in kindergarten the details of sexual acts and intimacy?

To the level of their question, yes. Tell the young ones that babies grow in the mommy. Tell older ones that daddy plants a seed. Tell older ones the mechanics (when they start asking). Much better than lying to them.

The idea that humans did NOT evolve can also be considered a fable.

It would be rather self righteous and oppressive to try to force them stop believing, seeing as it makes many people feel better and behave better. Our main problem with those who are insane is that their feelings and behaviour are mostly negative and directly harmful.

The question ultimately boils down to whether truth is more important than feeling good about yourself. Nobody is 'forcing' people to stop believing. But part of education is learning what the best understanding at the time is. And that is what should be taught in school, to the extent it is possible to explain at the grade level (no quantum mechanics in grade school).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I, as a Muslim, believe

You are just as welcome to your beliefs as anyone else.

he supposedly evolved from the ancestors of monkeys

Apes, thats apes. Not monkeys, we are apes, although monkeys and apes shared a common ancestor about 25 million years ago that was neither ape nor monkey

But there doesn't seem to be room for creationism anywhere according to some atheists

Why blame atheist for scientific evidence. Actually Darwin had a religious background and studied anglican theology.

What is the harm in it being said that God created everything?

No harm, other than that of deliberate ignorance of basic sciences

Knowledge and education has continued to do that since religion lost monopoly on education.