• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are monks bald?

syoonsh

Why do monks shave their heads?

Are there bald female monks?

let's say monks do have hair and female has a long hair.

While meditation, there could be a scent from hair or some

kind *smell. During meditation, monks have to focus only their mind,

and if they do have a long hair, would monks properly focus on their mind...?

Somkid

I think all of your answers are good and it does depend on the monks interpretation of why. I shave my head to remind me nothing is permanent and not to be attached to anything even though I'm not a monk any more I continue the practice.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Somkid,
Digressing from the usual topic here as you state that you are no more a monk and in another place you mention about your wife which means you have married now.
Kindly enlighten us as to why a monk felt like marrying?
This is just to understand the karmic aspect of individual as myself am midaged now in this life and still a bachelor with never any concious thoughts of marriage/sex. Though have few bachelor friends who have girlfriends/sex.
Even know Catholic priests who married.
What is the reason? you are free to respond/ not respond.
Love & rgds

michaelm

The yogis do the opposite..they do not shave or cut the hair, just let it grow and end up long haired and bearded (except the female yogis!). Its the same principle but opposite.. they also do not care about appearance.

The problem is that shaving the head can also become an outward show, as can the wearing of robes etc. Renunciation is only really within. I know one renunciant who doesnt wear robes or shave his head (or wear the hair long). His renunciation is not shown or displayed, just is.

Somkid

Friend Somkid,
Digressing from the usual topic here as you state that you are no more a monk and in another place you mention about your wife which means you have married now.
Kindly enlighten us as to why a monk felt like marrying?
This is just to understand the karmic aspect of individual as myself am midaged now in this life and still a bachelor with never any concious thoughts of marriage/sex. Though have few bachelor friends who have girlfriends/sex.
Even know Catholic priests who married.
What is the reason? you are free to respond/ not respond.
Love & rgds

In my tradition it is not unusual for a monk to marry and continue to serve as a chaplain or teacher of Buddhist studies. I became a monk because I had questions, it took me a long time to find the answers but I found what I was looking for. The Buddha said the teaching is like a raft when you reach the other side you would be a fool to carry it with you that is the raft not the teaching but I feel that once you learn what you need to learn and find peace it is time to move on and allow someone to fill your space so they may have the opportunity to find what they need. I am like any other man I wanted the companionship of a woman, our relationship is not focused on sex but rather on friendship and a mutual understanding of the Dharma that is not to say we do not do what is natural for a man and a woman to do and we just had our first child but it is not a focus or an issue. I currently instruct monks and other students in Buddhist studies as well as world religion and philosophy. To spite the fact I am married and have a job I still live my life very much like a monk because it is a much simpler way to live and appreciate everything. Everyone in my department was a monk for a minimum of 3 years.

Ozzie

The yogis do the opposite..they do not shave or cut the hair, just let it grow and end up long haired and bearded (except the female yogis!). Its the same principle but opposite.. they also do not care about appearance.

The problem is that shaving the head can also become an outward show, as can the wearing of robes etc. Renunciation is only really within. I know one renunciant who doesnt wear robes or shave his head (or wear the hair long). His renunciation is not shown or displayed, just is.
Have you considered it is more likely to be a burden than an advantage to have long hair. And being a visible sign of burden I do not believe there is no difference.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Somkid,
Thankyou for your response.
It is perfectly all right what an individual does and so he does it.
It is surely good to have a formal training as it brings certain degree of discipline.
As feel every citizen in India should have military training for atleast 2 years so as to lead a disciplined life similarly what you did in religion.
Love & rgds

Somkid

It is also necessary in Thailand to serve in the military by lottery, become a monk or goto university I agree with you, while the military is not conducive to my Buddhist training I understand the necessity for formal "self-control" training of some sort. A long time ago from my prospective I was a very violent young man it is my good fortune I chose to be a monk as my discipline because I fear I would have been to good of a solider.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Somkid,
It hardly matters; whether one is a soldier or a monk provided the mind training is there to do without attachment is of importance.
Krishna [if you know Gita] was directing Arjun in the midst of the battlefield.
Life has to be lived like a lotus leaf on water. Take out the leaf and no water sticks to it.
Thats non-attachment with life one lives in.
Love & rgds

Somkid

My point zenzero was, when one is a solider one is put in a situation where one may have to harm another sentient being which is a violation of the precepts and the 8 fold path.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Somkid,
Your point had been already taken into consideration and so Krishna's case was highlighted.
Krishna was Arjuna's charioteer and Arjuna did not want to fight his cousins even after they were wronged. Krishna explains that this is a DHARMA yudh/war. You are not killing any being but this is a war of right over wrong etc. etc. Soldiers kill not out of malice but only to doing a job or to protect their motherland. There is no greed, anger, or any emotions involved.
One has to do his karma but how he does it is what matters and gives result.
Love & rgds

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am intrigued by this.
Shaving hair to start anew. Myself, I started to grow my hair out when I started out on a new life, back when I left Christianity, since I had always had hair at the very longest 1 1/2 inches long, to maybe two inches once in awhile.
I have also heard hair length can be an indication of personality.
Are there any specific reasons to shaving hair off to start a new life? In a hypothetical situation, what if someone in my situation who had very short to no hair, grew it out to symbolize a new start?

vandervalley

to start a new life you need time; so it will save you tons of time if your hair is short; saves you the shamppoo money and the time to dry and brush them

michaelm

Have you considered it is more likely to be a burden than an advantage to have long hair. And being a visible sign of burden I do not believe there is no difference.

I dont think this is so, whether it is a burden would depend on the attitude of the person. It could be said that having to shave your head regularly is a bigger 'burden'.

It is about detatchment. You can be detatched and shave your head or detatched and not bother. Equally, you can be very attached to growing your hair long and looking like a yogi, or you can be very attached to shaving your head and looking like a monk.

Surely we know it isnt so much what you do, but the attitude you have that is important.

Ozzie

I dont think this is so, whether it is a burden would depend on the attitude of the person. It could be said that having to shave your head regularly is a bigger 'burden'.

It is about detatchment. You can be detatched and shave your head or detatched and not bother. Equally, you can be very attached to growing your hair long and looking like a yogi, or you can be very attached to shaving your head and looking like a monk.

Surely we know it isnt so much what you do, but the attitude you have that is important.
Hair does not lead to anonymity. It is psychologically important to appearance.