• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Messiah claimants usually male?

74x12

Looking through this list List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia one can't really help but notice it's predominantly male, if not all male.

Are males more susceptible to delusions of grandeur? If that's the reason, then how come? it seems to me that most psychiatric disorders would happen to both genders.

Is it perhaps that women are more predestined to sanity, or humility?

Conjectures, anyone?
Women go crazy also; but usually in different ways than men do.

For example many pregnant women have claimed to be virgins and that their baby would be "Jesus".

Audie

Veteran Member
Women go crazy also; but usually in different ways than men do.

For example many pregnant women have claimed to be virgins and that their baby would be "Jesus".

Men are more than enough to make women crazy.

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
A couple of things: First, there is Testosterone. I think it is a very strong drug and should be a Controlled Substance perhaps? Second, though I hate it, there is Genesis 3:16
To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.A)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-72A" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.

I don't like it. I hate it, but it is there. Not my fault, I didn't write it.
Let me reframe that:
Some men lust for power.

Jumi

Looking through this list List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia one can't really help but notice it's predominantly male, if not all male.

Are males more susceptible to delusions of grandeur? If that's the reason, then how come? it seems to me that most psychiatric disorders would happen to both genders.

Conjectures, anyone?
I noticed only two. Probably it has to do with perception in religions that have messiahs. Women are seen as less capable of spiritual leadership.

sealchan

Conjectures, anyone?

Men are often idealized as those who stand alone while women tend to stand together with others and not become singled out. Messiahs are symbols of a monotheistic masculine God and stand-in for a stand-alone personal attitude that dominates the story. Sacrifices are made to a feminine Goddess of Male consorts who are "fortunate" but rather more inconsequential in and of themselves.

sealchan

Men rule.
Women nag.
To start a religion capable of crushing both adherents & the opposition, guess which works best.

This'll get me doinked for a violation, eh.

There is some truth I think to this stereotype. And if your comment gets deleted then perhaps it may be immortalized by my quoting it.

I see the masculine way of personality development is to become an island of strength while the feminine way of personality development is to foster a community of strength. So men win by domination and women rule by unification. Taking the masculine standard as primary then women's efforts at overruling others appear weak and ineffectual.

In truth we are all a combination of masculine and feminine ways of personality development.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Conjectures, anyone?

Look! Wikipedia begins with Jesus Christ, who predicted:

For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Messiah,' and will deceive many.

Matthew 24:5 -- another prophecy fufilled...

...Be aware that female "prophets" have inaugurated and led influential movements announcing others as Messiahs, too.

sealchan

Look! Wikipedia begins with Jesus Christ, who predicted:

For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Messiah,' and will deceive many.

Matthew 24:5 -- another prophecy fufilled...

...Be aware that female "prophets" have inaugurated and led influential movements announcing others as Messiahs, too.

Who first witnessed and proclaimed the resurrection of Jesus?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Personally I think it is because of the perversity of man and that God has spared women from the depravity of what a debased mind can produce.

All God's Messengers are persecuted and suffer because of the Message they have been given. Having read what the wayward generation are capable of inflicting on those that give Gods Message, I am happy no women to date has had to face this perversity as a Messenger. At the same time we can not forget that many women have suffered as a result of acceptance of that Message.

It is sickening what some men think they can justify and inflict upon another fellow human being, let alone animals.

One also has to consider that no Message was possible without the Women, it is they that give birth to the Messenger

Regards Tony

Exactly my sentiments Tony. If one looks closely at all the intense suffering the Prophets of God have had to endure including such things as crucifixion I am convinced that Divine Providence has deliberately spared womankind of this brutal, cruel ordeal up until now out of love and compassion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Exactly my sentiments Tony. If one looks closely at all the intense suffering the Prophets of God have had to endure including such things as crucifixion I am convinced that Divine Providence has deliberately spared womankind of this brutal, cruel ordeal up until now out of love and compassion.
Then why hasn't Divine Providence spared them the centuries of servitude, gender bias, humiliation, sublimation, etc. at the hands of the males? Some God you have there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe. Maybe not.
Ask any mischievous boy who went to Catholic school
what the penguins did to his knuckles with that ruler.
Also, in western countries, women needn't stay in the
religion assigned them by the "patriarchy". To remain &
to influence it is a choice.

ecco

Veteran Member
All God's Messengers are persecuted and suffer because of the Message they have been given. Having read what the wayward generation are capable of inflicting on those that give Gods Message, I am happy no women to date has had to face this perversity as a Messenger.

Wow. That's pretty good. Rationalization and proselytization all wrapped up in one post.
So, God didn't make female Messengers because He wanted to spare them persecution and depravity at the hands of men. I guess the European witches would disagree with your thoughtful analysis. Actually, any reasonable person would.​

Please correct your quote.

What do you feel needs correcting?

You obviously missed my comment to Tony Bristow-Stagg. I'll show it again...

So, God didn't make female Messengers because He wanted to spare them persecution and depravity at the hands of men. I guess the European witches would disagree with your thoughtful analysis. Actually, any reasonable person would.