• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are many extreme Christians so nasty?

A Vestigial Mote

I'll give a shot at explaining and try not to use any Jesus tech-talk. I probably owe you at least that.

A sincere thank you for the detailed response. While I do fully understand the ins and outs of what your reply meant now, I do not need wept over, or pitied, and I do not, in any way, shape or form, consider myself anything like a "dead man walking".

There is nothing about what you have stated that appeals to me. If God does this strange and invasive thing that you are describing then I probably would feel more like a zombie at that point - if I could seem my God-changed self from the outside with the eyes I have now. It sounds as if this "transplant" you describe takes away some portion of a man's freedom, if I am being honest. I don't think it is possible for it NOT to sound that way, so there is no need to apologize or try to explain further. It will simply always sound completely undesirable to me.

I know you won't believe me - but I know I do not need intervention from any God or any witness on any god's behalf. I know this as well as you know that your God exists. Again, I don't expect you to believe me... and I don't need you to.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
However, I have encountered, throughout my life, many of those who believe you have to be 'saved' in order to go skywards, who are not nice at all. I can only think because they believe in the 'once saved always saved' dogma, they will get waved through the pearly gates, however bad they are. I have known quite a few of the 'saved' who were dishonest, and sexually abusive! The bigots who use the Bible as an excuse for condemning homosexuality are also very unpleasant too. Being gay is normal, not perverted!

It is no wonder many people are put off religion when they encounter people like that.

Most people have a problem with fundamentalists. A narrow and rigid view is always off-putting. They are always morally outraged at one thing or another and will not hesitate to tell you about it.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
...Moses was not the author of the entire Pentateuch, that its a collection of various traditions collected, that the Creation myth and the Ten Commandments were not original but taken from other cultures and adapted

There is no concrete evidence supporting any of this, only suggestion and assumptions.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There is no concrete evidence supporting any of this, only suggestion and assumptions.
As is your opinion or any other person's opinion that includes any I might have since there are almost no "gimmes" in this area.