• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are carrots orange?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings all!

I found this page about carrots that are NOT orange.

News to me! It's quite an interesting story.

Here is the list of varieties of colourful carrots -

1. 'Cosmic Purple': This is a favorite in my own garden. The skin of these carrots is bright purple, and the flesh inside is yellowy-orange. They are sweet and flavorful. 'Purple Dragon' is another good purple variety that I've seen available in several catalogs.

2. 'Atomic Red': These bright red carrots grow to about eight inches long and are very flavorful. They are sweeter when cooked, but we like them raw as well.

3. 'Snow White': According to the people at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, white carrots were very popular during the Middle Ages, and are finally starting to gain a following again. 'Snow White' is creamy white in color, very crisp, and good both cooked and raw.

4.'Lunar White': This variety grows creamy white roots with mild flavor, excellent for snacking.

5. 'Amarillo': If you're looking for a yellow carrot, 'Amarillo' is a good choice. Its lemony-yellow roots grow to around eight inches long, and have a nice amount of sweetness to them. This is another favorite in my garden.

Do you grow any non-orange carrots? Which ones do you recommend?

For the rest of the story about carrots not being orange originally -

Why carrots are orange (and 5 non-orange carrots to grow in your garden)

Enjoy!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Chop up some carrots (along with some parsnips, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, even brusselsprouts) drizzle in olive oil, season with black pepper, roast in oven. Serve with ranch. Yum.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I always thought all carrots were orange.

But this leads to another question: Why are oranges orange?

LiveBetterLife

So does your trolling. You can't be so lazy and obvious about it.

No, I'm serious dude - that recipe is garbage and you should've have taken the time to post it.

You can't just throw a limited selection of root vegetables on a tray, toss it in the oven then slather it in ranch and claim that it's awesome. You sound like a stoner.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No, I'm serious dude - that recipe is garbage and you should've have taken the time to post it.

You can't just throw a bunch of random **** on a tray, toss it in the oven then slather it in ranch and claim that it's awesome. You sound like a stoner.

Okay, a little better.

Btw, are you the same guy who claimed to have 20 degrees in gender studies? If you are, at least you can be given credit for persistence.

Obsydian

Well-Used Member

You can't just throw a limited selection of root vegetables on a tray, toss it in the oven then slather it in ranch and claim that it's awesome. You sound like a stoner.
You can... he did...

...and I bet it was tasty.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I always thought all carrots were orange.

But this leads to another question: Why are oranges orange?

Beta-carotene. It has a bunch of conjugated single and double bonds that resonate at the frequency of orange light.

Darkforbid

this-dish-is-so-unprepared-russia-is-calling-itthe-olympics-53553209.png

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
By the way, the beta-carotene is a source of Vitamin A. The molecule of beta-carotene is essentially, two molecules of vitamin A. One difference is that vitamin A can be toxic at high levels, but beta-carotene will just change your skin orange.