• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Atheists obsessed with God? Is that a sign?

shmogie

I dont think so. You sure dont seem to have
opened them wide enough to see yourself.
So, WHEN did I say I hated you ? When did I imply I hated you ? Are you a young atheist in the mode of Dawkins ? Do you want Christianity destroyed ? He does, as does one of his acolytes in this thread.

I see how your logic works, disagree with me, then you hate me, you hate everything I stand for, EVERYTHING, and you are a bigot as a cherry on top of my hate cake. Wow ! Disagreeing with you on an issue is a major transgression indeed.

Calling out the new atheists for what many of them are, in my opinion, aligns me with the klan. Interesting reasoning.

One of my daughters says she is an atheist, I don´t hate her, just the opposite, in fact.

Oh, I see myself. One who speaks directly and firmly believes what he believes.

I never start personal attacks on someone, that being childish. Perhaps, since you do it a lot, you ought to try and see it for what it is, a weakness. Perhaps recognizing that will help you grow up.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand what you are saying.....but don't we have to evaluate what the outcome for either position will mean? You have no future to look forward to apart from what humans are accomplishing in the world right now....not exactly inspiring confidence, is it? Are humans getting any better at managing their own affairs?....in ruling themselves?....in solving pressing problems?....how many people do you know who are truly happy? Despression is sweeping the world like an epidemic! What have you got to look forward to? When you take away hope, you kill the human spirit.

If God is real and is offering humans the kind of life that is programmed into their hearts, (a natural desire for peace and security with family and friends in a world free from trouble and disasters and tragedy) then the life you speak of and the relationships you value, need not be fleeting. You choose it to be fleeting by denying God's right to be God.

He will force no one to even believe in him because that has to be our choice....but I believe that we have enough in creation itself to demonstrate the existence of an incredibly intelligent Creator. How many "flukes" and assumptions does science depend on for its explanations? Science is as much a belief based system as is religion....they just can't admit it.

Again, it is about ourcomes. Atheists, by and large, do not have a big picture and cannot see past the here and now, which is why greed is destroying the ecology of this planet. It's all about looking after number one and hang the consequences for future generations...there is money to be made!

We can all see where a godless attitude leads. That godless attitude is demonstrated also by those who claim to be "believers" but who, by their actions, demonstrate no regard for Christ's teachings at all. Hypocritical "believers" who deny God by their actions are just as guilty before God as the atheists.

So many use this hypocrisy to dismiss God. That is like throwing the baby out with the bath water....it is a huge mistake IMO. God has already dismissed those hypocrites. (Matthew 7:21-23) If we have allowed their actions to sway us, then where will that lead? The blind lead the blind to their mutual destiny.

Yes, as is your right of choice.
Is there no Intelligent Designer....or is it that he is just giving us all "enough rope"? We will all see sooner or later, I guess.
If it's a matter between choosing a pretty falsehood or an ugly truth I'll pick the ugly truth every time. Whether or not one is more desirable (and I find that desirability debatable but that's neither here nor there) is irrelevant to me whether it's worth my investment.
Believers only hate science when it conflicts with their previously held belief. But to be honest, I'm too old and strapped for time to rehash another 'rejection of evolution is a foolish product of traditionalist wish fulfillment.' Or how god fearing places tend to be the worst trash heaps of low civil rights, low environmentalism, low education and it's hilarious how 'godless societies' have higher happiness and standards of living. Perhaps is because we don't waste time treating this life as a weigh station to the afterlife, and instead treat it every bit as precious for its brevity. Don't let our ego and desire to be immortal get in the way of actually getting things done.
I'll take two working hands over millions closed in prayer any day.

Audie

Veteran Member
If it's a matter between choosing a pretty falsehood or an ugly truth I'll pick the ugly truth every time. Whether or not one is more desirable (and I find that desirability debatable but that's neither here nor there) is irrelevant to me whether it's worth my investment.
Believers only hate science when it conflicts with their previously held belief. But to be honest, I'm too old and strapped for time to rehash another 'rejection of evolution is a foolish product of traditionalist wish fulfillment.' Or how god fearing places tend to be the worst trash heaps of low civil rights, low environmentalism, low education and it's hilarious how 'godless societies' have higher happiness and standards of living. Perhaps is because we don't waste time treating this life as a weigh station to the afterlife, and instead treat it every bit as precious for its brevity. Don't let our ego and desire to be immortal get in the way of actually getting things done.
I'll take two working hands over millions closed in prayer any day.

Pretty falsehood v ugly truth

Mom worked hard to drill that into me,
she said there is hardly a more important
lesson in life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hello Everyone,

This post and the 2 questions below are not exclusive to Atheists, I would love to hear from Christians, Jews, Muslims, Agnostics and everyone else.

I hope I am posting this in the proper section. I will do my best to keep this as short as possible. As an agnostic I am sorry if my post is about to sound like I am a theist but, please hear me out and take what I say for face value and take it as it is said and please assume the most well intent while reading it. Please do not reply to what you might think I mean rather, please focus on what is actually said. My intention is not to debate but, simply to find a logical and rational answer to my questions.

I have literally spent 100s (if not thousands) of hours between watching debates between atheists, agnostics and theists, reading up on religions, and talking about religion (forums, apps, and in person) and there is ALWAYS one constant thing I have seen in every in almost every Atheist (and some agnostics). They are always the first ones to bring up God, regardless of what the question or speaker is trying to talk about they (or should I say we?) always end up invoking/rejecting God even when the theist is not talking about nor has yet to bring up God. Whether the theist is talking about the universe, DNA, animals, bacteria or just anything, they (we?) always end up replying with something along the lines of "well that doesn't prove God" and the theist normally replies "but I am not talking about God". I heard a theist once say "God has left the Atheist but, the Atheist refuses to leave God", at first I thought the guy was being a smart *** but, the more I researched, the more I realized how true and accurate that statement really was. Another theist said "The fact that their whole life revolves around denying and rejecting God is a sign that he exists"

Whether its debates at speakers corner or a professional setting with Frank Turek, Mohamed Hijab, William Lane Craig, or whoever, the theme and the rush to jump to "God" always seems to come from the Atheist. If you don't believe, me you are definitely free to "fact check me" and do your own research.

I figured I would test this out myself, as maybe I am just coincidentally watching videos where this seems to happen. About 8 months ago I created an account on an Atheist forum and on agnostic.com and went "undercover" as a theist, on 1 site I was a Christian, and the other I was a Muslim. I would post and say things that came off just "theist enough" so I would pass as one. I made sure I NEVER brought up God, or at least I would NEVER be the first to bring God up in any context and I made sure that I went "all theist" and would reply "but I am not talking about God" yet, I noticed that (mainly) the Atheists would keep pushing and trying to deny and reject God and would try their hardest to prove I was wrong by simply pushing the idea of "there is no God", "No evidence", "That doesn't prove God" and so forth.

So, based off my observation what I said, I have 2 questions

1) Why are Atheists obsessed with "God"? Please clarify your answer

2) Is this "obsession" a sign of "God"? Please clarify your answer

Edited to add

Please provide more than just a simple 1 word answer if you can. 1 word answers don't help anyone understand the reasoning and rationale behind the answer.

Thank you
I see the problem...
You're confusing the word "obsession" with "interest".

gnomon

Hello Everyone,

This post and the 2 questions below are not exclusive to Atheists, I would love to hear from Christians, Jews, Muslims, Agnostics and everyone else.

I hope I am posting this in the proper section. I will do my best to keep this as short as possible. As an agnostic I am sorry if my post is about to sound like I am a theist but, please hear me out and take what I say for face value and take it as it is said and please assume the most well intent while reading it. Please do not reply to what you might think I mean rather, please focus on what is actually said. My intention is not to debate but, simply to find a logical and rational answer to my questions.

I have literally spent 100s (if not thousands) of hours between watching debates between atheists, agnostics and theists, reading up on religions, and talking about religion (forums, apps, and in person) and there is ALWAYS one constant thing I have seen in every in almost every Atheist (and some agnostics). They are always the first ones to bring up God, regardless of what the question or speaker is trying to talk about they (or should I say we?) always end up invoking/rejecting God even when the theist is not talking about nor has yet to bring up God. Whether the theist is talking about the universe, DNA, animals, bacteria or just anything, they (we?) always end up replying with something along the lines of "well that doesn't prove God" and the theist normally replies "but I am not talking about God". I heard a theist once say "God has left the Atheist but, the Atheist refuses to leave God", at first I thought the guy was being a smart *** but, the more I researched, the more I realized how true and accurate that statement really was. Another theist said "The fact that their whole life revolves around denying and rejecting God is a sign that he exists"

Whether its debates at speakers corner or a professional setting with Frank Turek, Mohamed Hijab, William Lane Craig, or whoever, the theme and the rush to jump to "God" always seems to come from the Atheist. If you don't believe, me you are definitely free to "fact check me" and do your own research.

I figured I would test this out myself, as maybe I am just coincidentally watching videos where this seems to happen. About 8 months ago I created an account on an Atheist forum and on agnostic.com and went "undercover" as a theist, on 1 site I was a Christian, and the other I was a Muslim. I would post and say things that came off just "theist enough" so I would pass as one. I made sure I NEVER brought up God, or at least I would NEVER be the first to bring God up in any context and I made sure that I went "all theist" and would reply "but I am not talking about God" yet, I noticed that (mainly) the Atheists would keep pushing and trying to deny and reject God and would try their hardest to prove I was wrong by simply pushing the idea of "there is no God", "No evidence", "That doesn't prove God" and so forth.

So, based off my observation what I said, I have 2 questions

1) Why are Atheists obsessed with "God"? Please clarify your answer

2) Is this "obsession" a sign of "God"? Please clarify your answer

Edited to add

Please provide more than just a simple 1 word answer if you can. 1 word answers don't help anyone understand the reasoning and rationale behind the answer.

Thank you

I'm an atheist.

I'm interested in discussions about God because religion is not really about God. It's about culture. I think there is nothing more to be said than that. Unless you are on a spiritual search studying religion is absolutely a study of culture.