• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are “some atheists” so intolerant of religious believers?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am curious as to what purpose this Omni God is supposed to fill. He is supposedly above any knowledge humans have to understand Him. He doesn't ever show himself to anyone, and doesn't provide any type of help in the things humans need the most help with. Exactly what good is he? Why do humans need The God in this day and age?
Dear Wandering Peacefully, the only purpose of the existence of this supposed 'One God' is to provide legitimacy to the prophets/sons/messengers/manifestations/mahdis/priests and shamans, so that they can carry on their business.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Seems like circular logic. This is true because the word says it's true. That's not objective, in fact it's considered a logical fallacy.
Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving"; also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with.[1] The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true. Circular reasoning - Wikipedia

No, it is not circular because I did not begin with what I wanted to end with. In other words, I did not say that Baha’u’llah is a Messenger because Baha’u’llah said He was a Messenger.The evidence that Baha’u’llah was a Messengeris not that Baha’u’llah said He was a Messenger.

The evidence that Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be is everything that surrounds the Revelation of Baha’u’llah, including who He was as a Person (His character); His mission on earth; the history of His Cause, from the time He appeared moving forward; the scriptures that He wrote; what His appointed Interpreters wrote; what others have written about the Baha’i Faith; the Bible prophecies that He fulfilled, as well as prophecies of other religions that He fulfilled; predictions He made that have come to pass; the religion that He established (followers) all over the world and what they have done and are doing now.
Sure. But you realize that makes God a bit too malleable to be considered objectively correct, right?
God is not an objective reality that can be proven to be correct or incorrect. Some views of God are more accurate than others but nobody can define God as God’s Essence is unknowable.
No. Logically speaking, even if God exists, like you agreed with me, anyone can claim whatever they want about God because there is no way to prove otherwise. So people can shape God however they want, whether or not the opposite is true is irrelevant. And Biologists have long taken issue with the various horrible design flaws in humans. Apparently God is not a great designer. Perhaps that's why he was upset at gay people at first? They upstaged him.
Why would it matter if people shape God in their own image? They cannot make God be what they want, so it is just an illusion. God is whatever God is and we cannot know much about that. Biologists do not know more than God about how to create a human. What makes you think they could do better?
I fail to see how that's a net benefit. If the followers are examples of such a thing, then I fear Atheists are far better models of character, morality and ethical values.
Why do you think that atheists are far better models of character, morality and ethical values? That might be true of some atheists and believers but not all of them. I know some atheists who are very ethical but I also know some who are not. The same applies to believers.
“One thing about reality is that it is not affected by what we believe or disbelieve; it simply exists. So if God exists and if Baha’u’llah was His Messenger for this age, it would not matter if only one person believed that, it would still be reality.”

Those are some pretty big "ifs"
True, one should not accept any belief without doing ample research.
This is the same kind of Pascal's Wager type deal as Christians use and are called out for. Because it's kind of a logical fallacy.
If God exists X happens.
If God does not exist Y happens. Well those are not the only two options available.
They certainly are not the only two logical possibilities. I am not big on Pascal’s Wager because it is encouraging people to be less than honest.
Now you're talking in circles. You offer but two possibilities, but that is not the only two potentially available. If God does not provide proof of his existence then he has seriously misunderstood the angst felt by his own creation. That's kind of dumb for a supposedly all wise being.
There are only two logical possibilities; God either exists or does not exist.
If God does not provide proof of his existence then he has seriously misunderstood the angst felt by his own creation. That's kind of dumb for a supposedly all wise being.
The thing is that God does provide evidence of His existence. God does not provide proof because God does not want to make it that easy, since then nobody would have to do anything to earn their belief, and then people who did not deserve to know God exists would know and that would not be fair to the deserving people who earned their belief by making a sincere effort. Also, God wants our faith, but it should be a reason-based faith, not blind faith.
But you contradict science from the get go, if you believe in the supernatural. And God is literally supernatural.
No, the supernatural does not contradict science, it is simply outside of scientific purview. What contradicts science are things we know are scientifically impossible, like people rising from their graves after they have been dead and buried or Jesus floating up into the sky and defying gravity.
So you're right and everyone else is wrong? Such hubris. I would have thought a religious person would be humble, apparently that's not a virtue that God treasures?
I did not say that only I am right. I am saying that the Christian interpretations of the Bible are incorrect and from that the Church created false doctrines. My religion is certainly not the only religion that believes that and nonbelievers also think that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I was curious about how you feel about how your prophet feels about atheists?

I know it is not your personal belief at all, but does it give you a different perspective about your prophet? Do you feel disappointed he felt that way? Do you think he was correct and just in his view of atheists?
Those are all good questions. Do you think you know His view of atheists from those passages you posted?

I have to say I think there is much more than meets the eye as to God’s view of atheists and I do not think those passages you quoted mean that God hates atheists. I would be disappointed if I thought that because I would not think God was just or loving, and in that case I could not believe in God.

So what I think is that those passages were written out of love and justice, because it is for our own good that we know and love God and if that is the only way for Baha’u’llah to drive home that point, so be it. It is only just that Baha’u’llah lays His cards on the table. We can get away with not believing on God in this life, but non-belief has serious repercussions in the afterlife, and I think that is the main reason those passages were so harsh.

Jesus talked the same way at times and so did Muhammad. In fact some of what is in those passages you cited is from the Qur’an. Muhammad was much harsher on nonbelievers than Baha’u’llah.As the quote below notes, the Baha’i cycle is the cycle of favor and not of justice. The religious cycle that ended with Muhammad was the cycle of justice and that is why Jesus and Muhammad were so harsh on nonbelievers.

Baha’u’llah was harsher towards believers who did not live up to His teachings than He was towards nonbelievers whose deeds and morals were good. I am exactly the same way. I have much more respect for an atheists who live a principled life than I have for believers who are hypocrites.

"This cycle is the cycle of favor and not of justice. Therefore, those whose deeds are clean and pure, even though they are not believers, will not be deprived of the divine mercy; but perfection is in faith and deeds. Undoubtedly, a person, who is not a believer, but whose deeds and morals are good, is far better than one who claims his belief in words but, who, in actions, is a follower of satan. The Blessed Beauty says, 'My humiliation is not in my imprisonment, which, by my life, is an exaltation to me; nay rather, it is in the deeds of my friends, who attribute themselves to us and commit that which causes my heart and pen to weep!'" (Attributed to 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Star of the West, vol. 9, issue 3, p. 29)

By the way, Baha’is do not believe like Christians that Satan is a being with an independent existence, so that reference to Satan means the lower selfish nature of man that causes man to commit bad deeds. Baha’u’llah had much worse things to say about these alleged Baha’is than He ever said about any atheists.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
He needs to establish the existence of his God first before we talk of his mission.
"Warn, the day is approaching ..": Moses said that, Jesus said that, Mohammad said that and now Bahaullah says that. I wonder when?
A warning is given before a punishment. So what kind of punishment the Bahai God has in store for people like us? An eternity in hell (Christian), pouring oil on our heads till the brains melt (Islam)?
There is no punishment that I am aware of except for remoteness of God. How that will play out in the afterlife is anyone’s best guess. o_O
"People have to unite themselves." Then, for what the ...., there is a God if we have to do all things ourselves. Cannot God with all his power and all his intelligence, think of any way other than sending his inefficient representatives who have created so many religions, which have always been fighting with each other in history?
God could do it but God wants us to do the work. It’s that simple.

It is not the religions God revealed through Messengers that caused all the problems, it is what humans did in their name that caused the problems throughout history.
Jews fighting Jews, Christians fighting Christians, Muslims fighting Muslims, Bahais fighting (or ostracizing Bahais), Christians fighting Jews, Muslims fighting Christians, Muslims fighting Bahais, and all these of one God fighting people who believe in no God or many Gods. It seems as if God wants us to fight each other.
All this was created by humans because they have free will to choose.
Trailblazer, there are so many gaping holes in the theories about your God that it is tiresome even to point them out. It is like an Indian road after rains, full of craters. Each utterance of the representatives hides a crater.
Carry on, I am used to this viewpoint, and I have talked about it so much that I have something to fill in all the craters. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You said you wanted to become a therapist. I'm curious what you actually read on the topic? :p I hope it's not religious text lol
What was that supposed to mean? Of course I did not read religious text to become a therapist. I became a therapist by attending an accredited university and I had to jump through lots of hoops to get my MA in Counseling Psychology. :)

All during those years I was in college, I did not have anything to do with my religion or with God. I had all but given up on religion and God. But now I am back. If you want to know why I can explain that, it’s a longish story. :D

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am curious as to what purpose this Omni God is supposed to fill. He is supposedly above any knowledge humans have to understand Him. He doesn't ever show himself to anyone, and doesn't provide any type of help in the things humans need the most help with. Exactly what good is he? Why do humans need The God in this day and age?
You ask really good questions. :)

God does not do the things humans need help with because God expects us to help ourselves by doing those. That is why we have an intelligent brain to think and free will to act.

The only way God gives us any help that we can know of is when He sends Messengers in every age. After that, God goes back into hiding. :rolleyes:

So other than that, what good is God, and why do we need Him? Tell me and then we will both know. ;)

This is a constant discussion I have with atheists on those “other forums” I post on. The discussions are winding down though because I do not post much over there anymore.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving"; also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with.[1] The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true.
You began with what you wanted, though. That your religion is true. That's fine, believe whatever you please.
Not sure how quoting the literal definition helps your case here. I'm terribly confused. You literally ended that thought with the logical fallacy of circular reasoning. Because everything in the argument, which according to your starting premise your religion is true, is true (no verifiable reasoning given, no outsider perspective given) then that's somehow not circular reasoning?
You have to first establish, using outside means, not bibles or even the words of any prophet, outside neutral evidence, of what you're saying is the "Truth" TM.

You literally just used the same arguments that skeptics have been basically mocking Christians of doing for centuries.
"God is God for the Bible tells me so."

I'm not trying to be mean or in any way trying to undermine what you believe. I'm trying to hold you accountable by the standards that I have feebly learnt in my teeny life.

God is not an objective reality that can be proven to be correct or incorrect. Some views of God are more accurate than others but nobody can define God as God’s Essence is unknowable.
If God's essence is unknowable then it stands to reason that no one truly knows God. And any claim of even minuscule certainty is immediately suspect without verifiable evidence. Evidence that can be accepted by even non believers. Or at the very least, agnostics.

Why would it matter if people shape God in their own image? They cannot make God be what they want, so it is just an illusion. God is whatever God is and we cannot know much about that. Biologists do not know more than God about how to create a human. What makes you think they could do better?
It doesn't. I was merely offering an explanation as to why God/s is weirdly different in all religions. And why it is truly subjective.
Biologists don't even attempt to shape God. They don't tend to spend much time on the supernatural, after all.

Why do you think that atheists are far better models of character, morality and ethical values? That might be true of some atheists and believers but not all of them. I know some atheists who are very ethical but I also know some who are not. The same applies to believers.
Just reporting on my rather subjective experiences. And you know, literally every horror story I have ever heard, seen or even been a part of in the religious scenes. Parents rejecting apostates, gay kids etc. Even merely watching the news or when interacting with people I can give countless examples of religious folk acting like despicable subhumans. My time spent watching debates, watching documentaries, watching people really. What is it they say?
"For good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Something like that.

Perhaps I am still a little jaded at the recent SSM "debate" in my country. True colours bled, as far as I'm concerned. And atheists came out well ahead in my admittedly personal experience. But that's just what I personally saw. :shrug:

They certainly are not the only two logical possibilities. I am not big on Pascal’s Wager because it is encouraging people to be less than honest.
How does it encourage dishonesty?

There are only two logical possibilities; God either exists or does not exist.
Either that or it's actually an alien fooling around. Plot twist.:eek:

The thing is that God does provide evidence of His existence. God does not provide proof because God does not want to make it that easy, since then nobody would have to do anything to earn their belief, and then people who did not deserve to know God exists would know and that would not be fair to the deserving people who earned their belief by making a sincere effort. Also, God wants our faith, but it should be a reason-based faith, not blind faith.
If that is true, show me. Not books or mere words, but objective evidence.

No, the supernatural does not contradict science, it is simply outside of scientific purview. What contradicts science are things we know are scientifically impossible, like people rising from their graves after they have been dead and buried or Jesus floating up into the sky and defying gravity.
Technically true. But how many actual respected scientists give the time of day to supernatural inquiries?

I did not say that only I am right
Not outright, perhaps.
But in the very next sentence.
I am saying that the Christian interpretations of the Bible are incorrect and from that the Church created false doctrines.
There's a certain implication there.

But sure, you're only calling other people and religions wrong. There, happy?

My religion is certainly not the only religion that believes that and nonbelievers also think that.
True. It seems more prominent in the smug circles of the Abrahamics. Everyone else doesn't seem to care enough. Which seems more confident and secure, at least to my personal view.
But whatever.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Dear Wandering Peacefully, the only purpose of the existence of this supposed 'One God' is to provide legitimacy to the prophets/sons/messengers/manifestations/mahdis/priests and shamans, so that they can carry on their business.
Yes, I can see they would need the backing of god(s) to be able to give credence to their claims of authority and knowledge. After all, what better way was there to convince people of the importance of their particular message? All varying messages of course.

I still don't understand why people who live today feel God is needed for anything other than tribalism. Is it strictly for the security of believing in an afterlife? We have advanced enough to be able to use humanism and ethics to live our lives with compassion and peace in this life we know we have. Why hold onto the idea of gods or God? I guess I'm looking for the psychological reasons for continued belief because to me there is no scientific or ethical reason to continue it. In fact, beliefs often times contradict science, ethics, and humanism. Is it a desire to hold onto the bronze age? Do believers ever stop to consider if someone showed up now claiming to be a messenger of God with a new message would anyone take him/her seriously? Why believe those from the past who did the same thing? The entire system of "believing" seems antiquated and as unnecessary as the supposed God behind the claims and stories. Other than for emotional or controlling purposes.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Those are all good questions. Do you think you know His view of atheists from those passages you posted?

I have to say I think there is much more than meets the eye as to God’s view of atheists and I do not think those passages you quoted mean that God hates atheists. I would be disappointed if I thought that because I would not think God was just or loving, and in that case I could not believe in God.

So what I think is that those passages were written out of love and justice, because it is for our own good that we know and love God and if that is the only way for Baha’u’llah to drive home that point, so be it. It is only just that Baha’u’llah lays His cards on the table. We can get away with not believing on God in this life, but non-belief has serious repercussions in the afterlife, and I think that is the main reason those passages were so harsh.

Jesus talked the same way at times and so did Muhammad. In fact some of what is in those passages you cited is from the Qur’an. Muhammad was much harsher on nonbelievers than Baha’u’llah.As the quote below notes, the Baha’i cycle is the cycle of favor and not of justice. The religious cycle that ended with Muhammad was the cycle of justice and that is why Jesus and Muhammad were so harsh on nonbelievers.

Baha’u’llah was harsher towards believers who did not live up to His teachings than He was towards nonbelievers whose deeds and morals were good. I am exactly the same way. I have much more respect for an atheists who live a principled life than I have for believers who are hypocrites.

"This cycle is the cycle of favor and not of justice. Therefore, those whose deeds are clean and pure, even though they are not believers, will not be deprived of the divine mercy; but perfection is in faith and deeds. Undoubtedly, a person, who is not a believer, but whose deeds and morals are good, is far better than one who claims his belief in words but, who, in actions, is a follower of satan. The Blessed Beauty says, 'My humiliation is not in my imprisonment, which, by my life, is an exaltation to me; nay rather, it is in the deeds of my friends, who attribute themselves to us and commit that which causes my heart and pen to weep!'" (Attributed to 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Star of the West, vol. 9, issue 3, p. 29)

By the way, Baha’is do not believe like Christians that Satan is a being with an independent existence, so that reference to Satan means the lower selfish nature of man that causes man to commit bad deeds. Baha’u’llah had much worse things to say about these alleged Baha’is than He ever said about any atheists.
So may I assume your entire reason for believing in your prophet is out of fear of what you believe might happen to you in an afterlife? Certainly you do not need either your prophet or a god to behave ethically and morally do you? Do you think it could be the emotional attachments to a father figure or need for authority which motivates to people to believe in stories about Gods? And yes, I can only assume your prophet was speaking truthfully from his viewpoint how he felt about people who didn't believe what he did. But who would ever be able to know for certain what his motives or his reasons were for claiming to be a messenger from God? We can make quesses based on other people who have claimed the same thing throughout history and use some psychology perhaps but we can never be totally certain why people have done this.

Shad

Veteran Member
I do not have any conditioning because that implies someone conditioned me.

You can condition yourself. Look up self-radicalization

Nobody did that. I researched the Baha'i Faith and decided it was true.

See above

I believe in the Baha'i Faith and with that belief comes the belief that Baha'u'llah was infallible. Since Abdu'l-Baha was the centre of Baha'u'llah's Covenant whatever He says about Buddha is authoritative.

Your belief is only relevant as per my point about conditioning. After that is has no merit on the point I am making.

You have no scripture to compare. Your so-called authority is only one accepted by you and your co-followers. Argument from authority.

I do not demand anything from Buddhists.

Wrong.

All I ever said was that they do not have any scripture written by Buddha but the Baha'is have scripture written by Baha'u'llah.

You made that point regarding Buddhist teachings to argue that that this view was not backed by evidence while following up a counter-view which did not have evidence either. That was the double-standard. You couldn't just leave it at "You have no evidence" you had to inject your own view thus made your blunder which you still are dodging 2 weeks later.

Again to answer the OP thread your inability to see your own blunder, your double-standards, your fallacious arguments is why theists are not tolerated by some. It isn't so much the theist part but the reasoning is **** poor.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You began with what you wanted, though. That your religion is true. That's fine, believe whatever you please.
And you know what I wanted to believe exactly HOW? Nobody knows what I began with except me and God.

No, for your information, I did not begin with THAT. Religion was the very last thing on my mind when I stumbled upon the Baha’i Faith. I do not even like religion and I would have never been looking for a religion, it just found me.
Not sure how quoting the literal definition helps your case here. I'm terribly confused. You literally ended that thought with the logical fallacy of circular reasoning. Because everything in the argument, which according to your starting premise your religion is true, is true (no verifiable reasoning given, no outsider perspective given) then that's somehow not circular reasoning?
That is absolutely untrue. I had no starting premise that my religion was true. The evidence that Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be and thus the religion is true is as follows. All this constitutes evidence that is verifiable.

The evidence that Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be is His character; the history of His life; what He did during His mission on earth; the scriptures that He wrote; what others have written about Him; the Bible prophecies that He fulfilled and the prophecies of other religions that He fulfilled; the predictions He made that have come to pass; the religion that was established as the result of His Revelation, what His followers all over the world have done and are doing now.

Outsider perspective is going to be unduly biased for obvious logical reasons. If someone like the religion they would believe in it; if they do not like it they are normally detractors. There are a few unbiased perspectives but they are not where one goes to get evidence that the religion is true. The evidence is what supports the religion being true and that is the history and scriptures of the religion itself, just as the Bible is evidence that Christianity is true.
You have to first establish, using outside means, not bibles or even the words of any prophet, outside neutral evidence, of what you're saying is the "Truth" TM.
There is very little outside neutral evidence for the Baha’i Faith. One reason for that is because the religion is relatively new, so scholars have not written about it. In the future it will be different and there will be scholarly works, just as we now have for Christianity.
You literally just used the same arguments that skeptics have been basically mocking Christians of doing for centuries.
"God is God for the Bible tells me so."
You had better bet that the Bible is the BEST evidence for Christianity and the God Christians believe in. It is obvious why. The Bible is the Source that is closest to the original Christian faith. Anything that came after thatare simply commentaries from outsiders, many of whom are other religious people or atheists who are against Christianityand trying to disprove it. Why would their commentaries be better evidence than the original source material?
I'm not trying to be mean or in any way trying to undermine what you believe. I'm trying to hold you accountable by the standards that I have feebly learnt in my teeny life.
You cannot apply the same standards to religion that are used for evidence in areas outside of religion, for obvious logical reasons. Religions are mutually exclusive so they are in competition with each other so anything outside of their own scriptures and history are going to be necessarily biased.
If God's essence is unknowable then it stands to reason that no one truly knows God. And any claim of even minuscule certainty is immediately suspect without verifiable evidence. Evidence that can be accepted by even non believers. Or at the very least, agnostics.
That is correct, nobody knows the Essence of God. God’s Essence is unknowable, period, so obviously there is no evidence of God’s Essence. There is no verifiable evidence that God exists, because that would be proof, and there is no proof.
It doesn't. I was merely offering an explanation as to why God/s is weirdly different in all religions. And why it is truly subjective.
Biologists don't even attempt to shape God. They don't tend to spend much time on the supernatural, after all.
God was different in the non-Abrahamic religions because that was before Abraham championed the One God. However, God is not different in the Abrahamic religions. For example, here are some of the attributes of God you find in the Torah, Bible, Qur’an, and in the Writings of Baha’u’llah: Eternal, Holy, Unchanging, Impassable, Infinite, Immaterial, Omnipresent, All-powerful, All-Knowing, All-Wise, Self-Existent, Self-Sufficient, Sovereign, Righteous, Benevolent, Compassionate, Loving, Gracious, Merciful, Just, Forgiving, Patient.
Just reporting on my rather subjective experiences. And you know, literally every horror story I have ever heard, seen or even been a part of in the religious scenes. Parents rejecting apostates, gay kids etc. Even merely watching the news or when interacting with people I can give countless examples of religious folk acting like despicable subhumans. My time spent watching debates, watching documentaries, watching people really. What is it they say?
"For good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Something like that.
Since about 84% of people in the world are religious that kind of skews the results. I mean since more people ARE religious than atheist, more religious people do evil things. Those religious people are not following the teachings of their religion, so you cannot blame the religion, it is the people who are to blame. They might be following their religious leaders, but their leaders are not representing the true religion as it was revealed in scriptures. This can get rather complicated.
How does it encourage dishonesty?
Because Pascal’s Wager suggests you pretend you believe in God just to cover your bases in the afterlife, and pretending is dishonest.
“There are only two logical possibilities; God either exists or does not exist.”

Either that or it's actually an alien fooling around. Plot twist.
C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
You are funny.... and the plot thickens. :D
If that is true, show me. Not books or mere words, but objective evidence.
There is no objective evidence of God’s existence because God is not a material Being. The evidence is the Messengers and the scriptures they reveal.
Technically true. But how many actual respected scientists give the time of day to supernatural inquiries?
Lots of them.
But sure, you're only calling other people and religions wrong. There, happy?
If they contradict my religion then I consider them wrong, because I believe in my religion. Obviously, both cannot be right if they contradict each other. For example, Christians believe Jesus is coming back and Baha’is believe that Baha’u’llah was the return of Christ. Both cannot be right so one has to choose one or the other or neither one.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I still don't understand why people who live today feel God is needed for anything other than tribalism. Is it strictly for the security of believing in an afterlife? We have advanced enough to be able to use humanism and ethics to live our lives with compassion and peace in this life we know we have. Why hold onto the idea of gods or God? I guess I'm looking for the psychological reasons for continued belief because to me there is no scientific or ethical reason to continue it.
Simply put, the only legitimate reason to believe in God is because God exists and an afterlife exists and there are huge implications for our future existence if we do not believe in God and know the truth about this life and how it is related to the afterlife. The primary purpose of this life is to prepare for the afterlife. Some atheists will have preparation if they lived according to the spiritual teachings of religion, because that is the same as using humanism and ethics to live life with compassion and peace, even though they do not believe in God. But there is a mystery that lies ahead in the afterlife;we are told it is vitally important to know and love God in this earthly life, even if we do not fully understand the reasons yet.
In fact, beliefs often times contradict science, ethics, and humanism. Is it a desire to hold onto the bronze age? Do believers ever stop to consider if someone showed up now claiming to be a messenger of God with a new message would anyone take him/her seriously? Why believe those from the past who did the same thing? The entire system of "believing" seems antiquated and as unnecessary as the supposed God behind the claims and stories. Other than for emotional or controlling purposes.
If religious beliefs contradict science and humanism it is time to relinquish them, because they are not what God wants us to adhere to in this new age. The Bronze Age has ended and it is time to move on. Unfortunately, the bulk of religious believers have not realized that yet. It is only atheists and Baha’is who have realized it, but they have gone on different trajectories.

You are absolutely right. A Messenger called Baha’u’llah did show up with a new message and not many people have taken Him seriously. The same thing happened when Jesus first appeared. That happens with all new Messengers because adherents to the older religions cling tenaciously to their religious traditions.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So may I assume your entire reason for believing in your prophet is out of fear of what you believe might happen to you in an afterlife?
Oh no, not at all. What atheists miss entirely is that the reason I believe in God is because I know God exists. Everything follows from that knowledge. I do not even think in terms of believing out of fear because that would be Pascal’s Wager and that would be dishonest. But that does not mean I do not have a fear of god, which is not fear of what He might do to me but rather reverence and respect for a Being who is far greater than me.
Certainly you do not need either your prophet or a god to behave ethically and morally do you? Do you think it could be the emotional attachments to a father figure or need for authority which motivates to people to believe in stories about Gods?
No, I do not need Baha’u’llah or God to live morally and ethically.
I cannot speak for other people, only for myself. I do not have an emotional attachment to God, quite the contrary. It is more of an intellectual belief based upon what I consider evidence that God exists. However, from what I have observed, I think a lot of believers are emotionally attached to the idea of God and they are afraid of the consequences of not believing, and that is because of the Church doctrines.
And yes, I can only assume your prophet was speaking truthfully from his viewpoint how he felt about people who didn't believe what he did. But who would ever be able to know for certain what his motives or his reasons were for claiming to be a messenger from God? We can make guesses based on other people who have claimed the same thing throughout history and use some psychology perhaps but we can never be totally certain why people have done this.
Nobody can know in the sense of proving what Baha’u’llah’s reasons were for claiming to be a Messenger from God. That is where some faith is necessary, but with good evidence it can be a reason-based faith. Only as individuals can we ever be totally certain of what we believe and these beliefs cannot be proven to other people. I am certain, but that is because I put all the pieces of the puzzle together and nothing was out of place.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
“I do not have any conditioning because that implies someone conditioned me.”

You can condition yourself. Look up self-radicalization.
But who are YOU to tell me I conditioned myself, if that is what you are saying?
“Nobody did that. I researched the Baha'i Faith and decided it was true.”

See above
But who are YOU to tell me I did not research the Baha’i Faith and decide that it was true, if that is what you are saying?

66: O EMIGRANTS! The tongue I have designed for the mention of Me, defile it not with detraction. If the fire of self overcome you, remember your own faults and not the faults of My creatures, inasmuch as every one of you knoweth his own self better than he knoweth others. The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 45
You have no scripture to compare. Your so-called authority is only one accepted by you and your co-followers. Argument from authority.
I do not NEED to compare older scriptures, because I KNOW the Baha’i Faith is the Truth from God. I knew that before I ever looked at any other religions and now that I have looked at others I know it even more. There is no requirement that I look at older scriptures and compare. The Baha’i Faith stands on its own merit. Do Buddhists have to compare the Baha’i Faith to Buddhism before they become Buddhists? Do Christians have to compare the Baha’i Faith to Christianity before they become Christians? It sounds like you are applying a double-standard to Baha’is.

You are right about one thing though, it is argument from Authority, because Baha’is believe that Baha’u’llah speaks with the Voice of God, and that is the Highest Authority. You can spew out all your logical fallacies but that won’t change a thing.
“I do not demand anything from Buddhists.”
Wrong.
You have no right to speak for me and tell me what I do. I never demanded anything from Buddhists. That is a straw man.
You made that point regarding Buddhist teachings to argue that that this view was not backed by evidence while following up a counter-view which did not have evidence either. That was the double-standard. You couldn't just leave it at "You have no evidence" you had to inject your own view thus made your blunder which you still are dodging 2 weeks later.
You are presenting a straw man. I never said that the Buddhist view was not backed by evidence. All I EVER said is that the Baha’i Faith is based upon the Original Writings of Baha’u’llah whereas Buddhism is based on Buddha's teachings which were passed down by word of mouth and later were compiled into two sets of scripture.I do have evidence that proves to me that the Baha’i Faith is the truth.
Again to answer the OP thread you inability to see your own blunder, your double-standards, your fallacious arguments is why theists are not tolerated by some. It isn't so much the theist part but the reasoning is **** poor.
Do you want to know what is not tolerated by some theists? Atheists who constantly criticize theists and call their reasoning illogical. Finding fault with theists is all some atheists seem to do. Thank God most atheists do not do this.

“The most hateful characteristic of man is fault-finding.” (‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Star of the West, Vol. IV, No.11, p. 192)

26: O SON OF BEING! How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busy thyself with the faults of others? Whoso doeth this is accursed of Me. The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 10

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Oh no, not at all. What atheists miss entirely is that the reason I believe in God is because I know God exists. Everything follows from that knowledge. I do not even think in terms of believing out of fear because that would be Pascal’s Wager and that would be dishonest. But that does not mean I do not have a fear of god, which is not fear of what He might do to me but rather reverence and respect for a Being who is far greater than me.

No, I do not need Baha’u’llah or God to live morally and ethically.
I cannot speak for other people, only for myself. I do not have an emotional attachment to God, quite the contrary. It is more of an intellectual belief based upon what I consider evidence that God exists. However, from what I have observed, I think a lot of believers are emotionally attached to the idea of God and they are afraid of the consequences of not believing, and that is because of the Church doctrines.

Nobody can know in the sense of proving what Baha’u’llah’s reasons were for claiming to be a Messenger from God. That is where some faith is necessary, but with good evidence it can be a reason-based faith. Only as individuals can we ever be totally certain of what we believe and these beliefs cannot be proven to other people. I am certain, but that is because I put all the pieces of the puzzle together and nothing was out of place.
Okay thanks for explaining your views. I'm glad I don't have to worry about what comes after I die. I'm not convinced of afterlifes and don't worry about what other people are doing in this life to prepare for it.

I just live this life in the best way possible with love for my family and friends. I also enjoy helping out with nature and my community where I can. Being peaceful and content with what I have and teaching my grandchildren to appreciate this real life and nature is all I need to be content and satisfied. Guess I am really fortunate. I feel a bit sorry for those who need more like gods and religions to get through life. But as they say, to each his own. Good luck on your journey to wherever you think you're going.

Shad

Veteran Member
But who are YOU to tell me I conditioned myself, if that is what you are saying?

You admitted it yourself. You just didn't use the word conditioning.

But who are YOU to tell me I did not research the Baha’i Faith and decide that it was true, if that is what you are saying?

I never said you didn't do research. I said your conditioned yourself.

I do not NEED to compare older scriptures, because I KNOW the Baha’i Faith is the Truth from God.

Assertion

I knew that before I ever looked at any other religions and now that I have looked at others I know it even more.

Assertion

There is no requirement that I look at older scriptures and compare.

Wrong. You made a claim about something yet have no evidence of it beside via your religious conditioning.

The Baha’i Faith stands on its own merit.

What merit?

Do Buddhists have to compare the Baha’i Faith to Buddhism before they become Buddhists? Do Christians have to compare the Baha’i Faith to Christianity before they become Christians?

Irrelevant

It sounds like you are applying a double-standard to Baha’is.

Nope as my point was about your double-standard.

You are right about one thing though, it is argument from Authority, because Baha’is believe that Baha’u’llah speaks with the Voice of God, and that is the Highest Authority. You can spew out all your logical fallacies but that won’t change a thing.

Of course it would change your illogical reasoning.

I never demanded anything from Buddhists. That is a straw man.

BS as you demanded evidence for Buddha's "Teachings" and dismissed what was provided as being non-contemporary.

You are presenting a straw man.

Nope

I never said that the Buddhist view was not backed by evidence.

Wrong.

All I EVER said is that the Baha’i Faith is based upon the Original Writings of Baha’u’llah whereas Buddhism is based on Buddha's teachings which were passed down by word of mouth and later were compiled into two sets of scripture.I do have evidence that proves to me that the Baha’i Faith is the truth.

Which is a contemporary source point....

Do you want to know what is not tolerated by some theists? Atheists who constantly criticize theists and call their reasoning illogical. Finding fault with theists is all some atheists seem to do. Thank God most atheists do not do this.

This isn't the case. Fact is your illogical reasoning was exposed and you are ranting as you are trapped

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
And you know what I wanted to believe exactly HOW? Nobody knows what I began with except me and God.
Context? You've been trying to specifically demonstrate your belief as valid for the past several of our exchanges.
??
No, for your information, I did not begin with THAT. Religion was the very last thing on my mind when I stumbled upon the Baha’i Faith. I do not even like religion and I would have never been looking for a religion, it just found me.
Ahh I think you misunderstood me. I was saying you were using circular reasoning in that particular post because you used a Holy Book to assert your claims in that post. I didn't mean your life up until now. Just that specific instance in our exchange.

Outsider perspective is going to be unduly biased for obvious logical reasons. If someone like the religion they would believe in it; if they do not like it they are normally detractors. There are a few unbiased perspectives but they are not where one goes to get evidence that the religion is true. The evidence is what supports the religion being true and that is the history and scriptures of the religion itself, just as the Bible is evidence that Christianity is true.
This is exactly what I was talking about.
"The Bible is evidence that Christianity is true." <<<<THAT is circular reasoning in a nutshell.
If evidence supports it, then prove it, without falling back on Holy Books.

Scientists don't use text books to back up their claims, they test hypothesis' in the real world to verify or falsify the starting premise. That is why it is objective.

If you build a bubble around book/s and only rely on said book/s, don't expect anyone else to be immediately impressed when you quote them.

You cannot apply the same standards to religion that are used for evidence in areas outside of religion, for obvious logical reasons. Religions are mutually exclusive so they are in competition with each other so anything outside of their own scriptures and history are going to be necessarily biased.
I think you have that backwards. Anything in their scriptures is inherently biased, because that is what the religions of the book use to prove others wrong. Hence a strong bias in said book for them to be the right ones.

That is correct, nobody knows the Essence of God. God’s Essence is unknowable, period, so obviously there is no evidence of God’s Essence. There is no verifiable evidence that God exists, because that would be proof, and there is no proof.
I know. Now what?

God was different in the non-Abrahamic religions because that was before Abraham championed the One God. However, God is not different in the Abrahamic religions. For example, here are some of the attributes of God you find in the Torah, Bible, Qur’an, and in the Writings of Baha’u’llah: Eternal, Holy, Unchanging, Impassable, Infinite, Immaterial, Omnipresent, All-powerful, All-Knowing, All-Wise, Self-Existent, Self-Sufficient, Sovereign, Righteous, Benevolent, Compassionate, Loving, Gracious, Merciful, Just, Forgiving, Patient.
Actually God changed drastically from OT to NT. He mellowed out considerably. Jesus is like his hippie phase.

Since about 84% of people in the world are religious that kind of skews the results. I mean since more people ARE religious than atheist, more religious people do evil things. Those religious people are not following the teachings of their religion, so you cannot blame the religion, it is the people who are to blame. They might be following their religious leaders, but their leaders are not representing the true religion as it was revealed in scriptures. This can get rather complicated.
I'm not saying it is without nuance. But for people of scripture you have to have scriptural backing to convince them. So my point still stands. You can get people to do horrific things as long as you can convince them it's what "God ultimately wants."
Atheists still look better by comparison.

Because Pascal’s Wager suggests you pretend you believe in God just to cover your bases in the afterlife, and pretending is dishonest.
No it presupposes a number of possibilities, in an exercise designed to broaden your scope of thinking. It's literally challenging the notion that heaven or hell are the only potential options. And demonstrates that such black and white thinking is narrow and unsubstantiated.

Lots of them.
Name them.

If they contradict my religion then I consider them wrong, because I believe in my religion. Obviously, both cannot be right if they contradict each other. For example, Christians believe Jesus is coming back and Baha’is believe that Baha’u’llah was the return of Christ. Both cannot be right so one has to choose one or the other or neither one.
Or a third option. They're both wrong.
*plays dramatic music in the background*

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Okay thanks for explaining your views. I'm glad I don't have to worry about what comes after I die. I'm not convinced of afterlifes and don't worry about what other people are doing in this life to prepare for it.

I just live this life in the best way possible with love for my family and friends. I also enjoy helping out with nature and my community where I can. Being peaceful and content with what I have and teaching my grandchildren to appreciate this real life and nature is all I need to be content and satisfied. Guess I am really fortunate. I feel a bit sorry for those who need more like gods and religions to get through life. But as they say, to each his own. Good luck on your journey to wherever you think you're going.
I am happy to hear you are content. Not all people are that fortunate and I do not think it is usually through any fault of their own, it is just fate.

It sounds like you are on a good life path. Love is what matters most. I never had any children so I have no grands, but I have a boatload of animals in my family, wild and domestic, around which my daily life revolves.I live in the woods surrounded by trees with a lovely lake below. Nature is one thing about this earthly life that I do appreciate.

I do not think people should believe in God or join a religion out of a need; Imo it should be because they really believe in God and their religion, have a passion for it and see a good reason for it. I do not feel a need for God or my religion, I lived most of my life as if they did not exist. I only came back to considering them about six years ago because I wanted to. It was not something I ever planned. It was just time.

I am not planning to go anywhere or do anything. I just go where the breeze blows me day by day. I never plan anything, not even my retirement, which has been looming in the background for some time. :eek:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You admitted it yourself. You just didn't use the word conditioning.
I admitted no such thing. You just twisted my words by projecting your own thoughts onto them.
I never said you didn't do research. I said your conditioned yourself.
And how do you think you know that? Were you there with me when I became a Baha’i?
Wrong. You made a claim about something yet have no evidence of it beside via your religious conditioning.
What was that claim I made?
What merit?
The Writings, the history, etc.
Irrelevant
Not if you expect me to compare my religion with others before I choose it.
Nope as my point was about your double-standard.
What do you think my double-standard is?
Of course it would change your illogical reasoning.
There is nothing illogical about my reasoning, but since you are making the assertion you are required to provide proof. Otherwise all you have is a bald assertion.
BS as you demanded evidence for Buddha's "Teachings" and dismissed what was provided as being non-contemporary.
No, I only ever said there are no scriptures written by Buddha. I can dismiss anything I want to, based upon my own criteria for acceptance.
This isn't the case. Fact is your illogical reasoning was exposed and you are ranting as you are trapped.
Yet you have no proof that my reasoning is illogical, that is just your personal opinion. That counts for jack squat. Been there, done that, with atheists for five years on other forums... No atheist has ever proven that I am illogical. It gets rather boring and tiresome when all they can spew are personal opinions. Those are a dime a dozen. :rolleyes: