• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are “some atheists” so intolerant of religious believers?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Zilch. Nothing other than their own babbling.
What is wrong with many Gods and Goddesses working in tandem?
It makes no sense to me that there would ever be more than One God, because I see no need for more than One; then again, I define God differently than those who believe there are many Gods or Goddesses.

However, it nothing to do with what is "wrong" with many Gods and Goddesses; they either exist or they don't exist. What we believe about them has no bearing on reality.
Neither you have proof of on God, nor we have proof of many Gods and Goddesses. And you do not have any proof of these people being prophets/sons/messengers/manifestations/mahdis from any God.Why was he harsh? The man/God/Mirror image of God was supposed to bring peace to the world. Does that not make him a false manifestation? It is just babbling of a person against those who do not agree with him. A sign or intolerance and ignorance.
You have arrived at your belief even without reading what all that man wrote.
No, nobody can prove there is One God or that there are many Gods and Goddesses.

I would have to hazard a guess that He was harsh because He knew something we do not know about God, and He was trying to make us realize how important it is to recognize the One True God, given how important it is and given our entire future existence rests on this. Peace will never come to the world as long as there are so many disagreements, mainly over religion.

You can disagree all you want to, anyone can, but logically speaking there are only two possibilities; Baha'u'llah was either a false prophet or a Messenger of God. Everyone has to decide which to believe for themselves.

No, I have not read everything Baha'u'llah wrote, because there is so much. Moreover, I have not bee serious about the Baha'i Faith until fairly recently and I have been very busy on many forums since that time.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. because I see no need for more than One .. it nothing to do with what is "wrong" with many Gods and Goddesses; they either exist or they don't exist. What we believe about them has no bearing on reality.
No, nobody can prove there is One God or that there are many Gods and Goddesses.
I would have to hazard a guess that He was harsh because He knew something we do not know about God, ..
Peace will never come to the world as long as there are so many disagreements, mainly over religion.
Baha'u'llah was either a false prophet or a Messenger of God. Everyone has to decide which to believe for themselves.
Moreover, I have not been serious about the Baha'i Faith until fairly recently and I have been very busy on many forums since that time.
You do not even need 'One God'. Millions of atheists are doing quite well with no God. The same is true for your 'One God'. Yeah, what you believe has no relation to reality.
If that is the case, why are you believing in 'One God'?
How can we realize if Bahaullah did not reveal all that he knew? And why did not he reveal everything that he knew? That would have been a big help. Now we doubt because he kept his secrets and wonder what his secrets were.
You are right. With everybody being an ambassador from this 'One God' and blowing his own trumpet, world peace would remain a dream.
With all this, you still doubt as to what he was?
You are still not serious, having us non-believers quote to you what Bahaullah said. Is that the only thing you do, praising Bahaullah in MANY forums? Do the Bahais pay you for this?

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You find it OK for your One God to punish those who do not believe in him and your manifestation to impotently curse such people. It is not that his curse would maim us in any way. And you say that your God has no need to be worshiped?

No God does not need us in any way, it is our bounty to know that we exist because of God's Love. Thus I think it is perfect we have choice and a world that gives us the ability to make those choices.

If we choose to, we can see that this world is but a chimera, a vapor in the desert, vain and empty;

"The world is but a show, vain and empty, a mere nothing, bearing the semblance of reality. Set not your affections upon it. Break not the bond that uniteth you with your Creator, and be not of those that have erred and strayed from His ways. Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion. It may, moreover, be likened unto the lifeless image of the beloved whom the lover hath sought and found, in the end, after long search and to his utmost regret, to be such as cannot “fatten nor appease his hunger.”

Regards Tony

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you think using 'olde english' gives more weight to what is being said? Nobody was using 'Olde English' in the time of Bahaullah (1817–1892). Using it for effect and obfuscation in imitation of old translations of Bible? Shoghi Effendi was using modern English. The first English translation of Bahaullah's writings came only in 1906. :D
What creator if there is no creation and the world only being vapor in a dersert; Maya, Illusion, Anatta (without substance), Anicca (transitory) as Hindus and Buddhists believe.

Last edited:

charlie sc

We only see it that way. Love and Justice both require strong aspects to balance out hate and injustice.

Regards Tony
No, absolutely false. When discussing justice with trailblazer, I was discussing evidence and some philosophy and she was stamping her foot on how faith is correct. I can argue what justice is because I've read philosophy and studies on human nature and the only thing she knows and I bet you know is scripture. On justice and morality, especially justice, I have read Plato - The Republic, John Rawls- A Theory of Justice, Hobbs- The Leviathan, Rousseau - The Social Contract, Nozick - Anarchy, State, and Utopia, and some other writers like Marx on morality. I have studied human nature in psychology with a plethora of studies, like Harry Harlow's experiments, Mary Ainsworth's observations of children, studies suggesting copying behaviour from abused children, and the vast arrays of studies showing the effects of stigmatised groups, Malsow's hierarchy of needs(this one is more theory), developmental studies on babies, animal experiments and so on.

The only thing I get back is I am right because my faith says it is right and I have a feeling you'll go the same way. There's no attempt to understand what justice is. You don't care about evidence or the philosophies behind justice. You only care what your faith says on justice. This, my friend, is not justice. This is an authoritarian world-view and it has no place is today's world.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, absolutely false. When discussing justice with trailblazer, I was discussing evidence and some philosophy and she was stamping her foot on how faith is correct. I can argue what justice is because I've read philosophy and studies on human nature and the only thing she knows and I bet you know is scripture. On justice and morality, especially justice, I have read Plato - The Republic, John Rawls- A Theory of Justice, Hobbs- The Leviathan, Rousseau - The Social Contract, Nozick - Anarchy, State, and Utopia, and some other writers like Marx on morality. I have studied human nature in psychology with a plethora of studies, like Harry Harlow's experiments, Mary Ainsworth's observations of children, studies suggesting copying behaviour from abused children, and the vast arrays of studies showing the effects of stigmatised groups, Malsow's hierarchy of needs(this one is more theory), developmental studies on babies, animal experiments and so on.

The only thing I get back is I am right because my faith says it is right and I have a feeling you'll go the same way. There's no attempt to understand what justice is. You don't care about evidence or the philosophies behind justice. You only care what your faith says on justice. This, my friend, is not justice. This is an authoritarian world-view and it has no place is today's world.

There are many aspects of Justice.

Regards Tony

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Baha’u’llah explained what the evidence is and how we are supposed to establish the truth of His claim. First, we examine His own Self (His character); then we examine His Revelation (everything that surrounds His Mission on earth); and then we look at His words (His Writings).
Seems like circular logic. This is true because the word says it's true. That's not objective, in fact it's considered a logical fallacy.

That is true, anyone can claim whatever they want to about God, because there is no way to actually prove anything about God. Different people even within the same religion are going to view God differently because people view everything differently, given we are all different.
Sure. But you realize that makes God a bit too malleable to be considered objectively correct, right?

Logically speaking, if God does not exist, man has to be shaping God in his own image, but if God exists and created man, then God created man in His own image, at least according to the Abrahamic religions. I'm more inclined to agree with the latter.
No. Logically speaking, even if God exists, like you agreed with me, anyone can claim whatever they want about God because there is no way to prove otherwise. So people can shape God however they want, whether or not the opposite is true is irrelevant. And Biologists have long taken issue with the various horrible design flaws in humans. Apparently God is not a great designer. Perhaps that's why he was upset at gay people at first? They upstaged him.

To be brief, a believer has knowledge of God and God’s Will for him, and if a believer following the teachings and laws of religion it molds his character and prepares him for the life to come (afterlife as it is termed).
I fail to see how that's a net benefit. If the followers are examples of such a thing, then I fear Atheists are far better models of character, morality and ethical values.

Yes, what we often refer to as the real world, the material world we can perceive with the sense organs, is often linked with objectivity rather than subjectivity. But when I referred to reality I was referring not only to what you can perceive in the material world, but what is actually REAL, what exists. So if God exists and an afterlife exists, that is reality, but if no God exists and death is final, then that is reality. One thing about reality is that it is not affected by what we believe or disbelieve; it simply exists. So if God exists and if Baha’u’llah was His Messenger for this age, it would not matter if only one person believed that, it would still be reality.
Those are some pretty big "ifs"
This is the same kind of Pascal's Wager type deal as Christians use and are called out for. Because it's kind of a logical fallacy.
If God exists X happens.
If God does not exist Y happens. Well those are not the only two options available.

Reality does not demand that there is One God, but if there is One God that is the reality. There is no objective proof that God exists, only evidence, because God does not provide proof of His existence and there is no way humans can ever prove God exists because we can never SEE God.
Now you're talking in circles. You offer but two possibilities, but that is not the only two potentially available. If God does not provide proof of his existence then he has seriously misunderstood the angst felt by his own creation. That's kind of dumb for a supposedly all wise being.

Science is science and religion is religion, and the methods of proof are entirely different, because science deals with the material reality and religion deals with the spiritual reality. Religion does However, true not contradict science, it is just within a different scope. The Baha’i Faith teaches that any religion that contradicts science is mere superstition; e.g. physical bodies rising from graves after they have been long dead.
But you contradict science from the get go, if you believe in the supernatural. And God is literally supernatural.

They are wrong if their interpretations are not in accordance with reality, as I defined it above.
So you're right and everyone else is wrong? Such hubris. I would have thought a religious person would be humble, apparently that's not a virtue that God treasures?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
You are free to believe whatever you want to just as am I because we all have free will to choose.
If you want your full freedom you can have it; I choose to obey God.

I NEVER said that Islam is a lie. I was asking what you think:
I said: "Islam is a lie because of what it says about atheists? What does it say?"

No, I have not read everything Baha’u’llah wrote. I know now, since I have seen what was posted on this thread. He is indeed harsh.
I was curious about how you feel about how your prophet feels about atheists?

I know it is not your personal belief at all, but does it give you a different perspective about your prophet? Do you feel disappointed he felt that way? Do you think he was correct and just in his view of atheists?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But you are not mentioning the decisive factor, far as I am personally concerned: the Bahai Faith is just too Abrahamic, too theocentric to be considered. It has an ambitious scope, but saddles itself with far too restricting conceptions of the nature and structure of religion.
It is what it is. Speaking of the nature of religion, I cannot recall if I ever posted this short passage. Does this sound restricting to you? If so, why?

“And now concerning thy question regarding the nature of religion. Know thou that they who are truly wise have likened the world unto the human temple. As the body of man needeth a garment to clothe it, so the body of mankind must needs be adorned with the mantle of justice and wisdom. Its robe is the Revelation vouchsafed unto it by God. Whenever this robe hath fulfilled its purpose, the Almighty will assuredly renew it. For every age requireth a fresh measure of the light of God. Every Divine Revelation hath been sent down in a manner that befitted the circumstances of the age in which it hath appeared.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 81
That is odd in and of itself, though. Why would God be such an unskilled communicator as to resort to such inefficient, drawback-ridden means?
We know for a fact that there are better ways for us humans, after all.
What is inefficient about Messengers? What are the better ways?

No, God does not communicate directly to everyone and there are good reasons for that. I have all those saved in various Word documents since I posted to an atheist on other forums about this for years. I do like to save my work.
“Even so, God does not demand that we are aware of His existence.”

That does not really add up with what is written in the Bible, let alone the Qur'an. Nor with the doctrines of mainstream Christianity and Islaam.
Those are not demands, they are injunctions, and they are not for God’s benefit, they are for human benefit.
We will have to agree to disagree on the above. "Obedience" requires belief, and the very existence of such a requirement of obedience (or for that matter, of belief) is at the very least a strong hint of a false god.
Why would belief and obedience be indicative of a false god?
“Where do you think these billions of people through many thousands of years got their religious wisdom?”

From honest effort, good examples and moral courage. I don't think there are other ways, although that is conceivable.
Fair enough. I can agree on that. We learn from each other. :)
There is a very sharp difference of spread on the confusion and its decorrent harm. Islaam is probably nearly alone at the bottom of the barrel in that respect, to the point that it is not really worth maintaining at all IMO.
I am sorry but I have to plead ignorance on Islam. I know only enough to be dangerous. Most of what I know is from what Muslims have posted on forums, and that s not very much. I also know what Baha'u'llah quoted from the Qur’an. Had I been actively involved in the Baha’i Faith since I became a Baha’i I would know a lot more, but I only started having an interest in religion during the last few years and most of what I have focused on is Christianity; given I live in a predominantly Christian country I feel it is necessary to know the basics of Christianity.
By that yardstick, it must be true that if God exists it for some reason insists that there must be atheists. One has to wonder why.

It is in fact an intriguing hypothesis to play with.
Yes, God does allow for atheists and one has to wonder why. I have no answer off the top of my head. One thing I can think of is that God wants our faith and atheists do not want to have to have faith, they want proof. So without faith atheists will always be atheists unless God provides proof.

The Bab said that in the future everyone will believe in God, but I do not know how that will come to pass:

“The Day is approaching when God will render the hosts of Truth victorious, and He will purge the whole earth in such wise that within the compass of His knowledge not a single soul shall remain unless he truly believeth in God, worshippeth none other God but Him, boweth down by day and by night in His adoration, and is reckoned among such as are well assured.” Selections From the Writings of the Báb, pp. 153-154

There is an indication that at some point in time God might provide that proof; at least that is how I interpret this passage:

“Warn and acquaint the people, O Servant, with the things We have sent down unto Thee, and let the fear of no one dismay Thee, and be Thou not of them that waver. The day is approaching when God will have exalted His Cause and magnified His testimony in the eyes of all who are in the heavens and all who are on the earth.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 248
“He Who is the Day Spring of Truth is, no doubt, fully capable of rescuing from such remoteness wayward souls and of causing them to draw nigh unto His court and attain His Presence. “If God had pleased He had surely made all men one people.” His purpose, however, is to enable the pure in spirit and the detached in heart to ascend, by virtue of their own innate powers, unto the shores of the Most Great Ocean, that thereby they who seek the Beauty of the All-Glorious may be distinguished and separated from the wayward and perverse. Thus hath it been ordained by the all-glorious and resplendent Pen…” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 71

I don't think the text above addresses the matter of theism and atheism. It seems to be instead an attempt at explaining why ethnocentrism exists in a world that is supposed to be united by its creator God.
It is not God who is responsible for uniting people. People have to unite themselves.
That is a fair description of how things are, but it does not seem to attempt to actually reconcile that situation with the logical implications that one would expect from the Abrahamic God.
What would you expect? Would you expect God to make everyone a believer? Why would God do that? Of course the crux of this whole matter is free will. God does not want anyone to believe unless it is their own choice.
I stand surprised. With all due respect, you do not seem to have a very good understanding of atheism. I have no idea of why you would find monotheism so compelling yet have resisted it for so long.
I have a very good understanding of atheism, you have no idea. After all, I have been posting almost exclusively to atheists 24/7 for over five years on several forums. And I do listen to everything they say.

Maybe I resisted monotheism for the same reasons atheists do, ever thought of that? Perhaps that is why I am drawn to atheists. Me and God have not always been bosom buddies, an understatement. I had to work really hard at just liking God, let alone loving God. It is a work in progress. Why do I do it? Because I believe that what Baha’u’llah revealed about God is the very truth.
Except that, despite very clear admonitions to the contrary, Muslims have persecuted Muslims for about 13 or 14 centuries, at least since the Battle of the Camel. The doctrine just can't help itself from affirming its supposed truthfulness by forceful means.
That use of force has all been done away with by the new Laws of Baha’u’llah.
Meanwhile, the Bahai Faith is clearly invested in caring as best as it can for its own Islaamic heritage. And it does an impressive job of it, too. I often describe it as "Islaam on rehab".
I admire that effort, even as I find it sadly wasteful.
You see the similarities between Baha’is and Islam but apparently you fail to see the important differences. The spiritual verities never change though, and they are the same in all the Abrahamic religions.
“Islam is a lie because of what it says about atheists?”
Exactly.

“What does it say?”
That we were born theists and will be chastised if we learn of Islaam yet refuse to adhere to it.
I am not sure that is what Islam teaches. As I recall reading, Muhammad said there is to be no compulsion in religion. But of course Islam is no longer the religion of Muhammad, it has been changed by men just like Christianity was changed, although maybe not as much.
I understand that. I just don't think that it is a reasonable statement for anyone to make. Religion is supposed to be highly customizable if it is to be any good.
I have no idea where you got that idea but it seems to be prevalent among the non-Abrahamic religions. Who says religion is supposed to be highly customizable?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You find it OK for your One God to punish those who do not believe in him and your manifestation to impotently curse such people. It is not that his curse would maim us in any way. And you say that your God has no need to be worshiped?
Who said anything about God punishing anyone? We punish ourselves by choosing not to believe in God, or from turning away from the God we believe in. Been there, done that.

“He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339

Baha’u’llah made it perfectly clear that God had no needs, thus God cannot have a “need” to be worshiped. It is implied in all the following quotes.

“This is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Let him that seeketh, attain it; and as to him that hath refused to seek it—verily, God is Self-Sufficient, above any need of His creatures.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 136

“Consider the mercy of God and His gifts. He enjoineth upon you that which shall profit you, though He Himself can well dispense with all creatures.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 140

“Your Lord, the God of mercy, can well dispense with all creatures. Nothing whatever can either increase or diminish the things He doth possess. If ye believe, to your own behoof will ye believe; and if ye believe not, ye yourselves will suffer.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 148

“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 166

“The one true God, exalted be His glory, hath wished nothing for Himself. The allegiance of mankind profiteth Him not, neither doth its perversity harm Him. The Bird of the Realm of Utterance voiceth continually this call: “All things have I willed for thee, and thee, too, for thine own sake.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh,pp. 260

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You do not even need 'One God'. Millions of atheists are doing quite well with no God. The same is true for your 'One God'. Yeah, what you believe has no relation to reality.
If that is the case, why are you believing in 'One God'.
Just because atheists are “unaware” that they need God, that does not mean they do not need God or the Messengers of God.

“One who does not know God’s Messengers, however, is like a plant growing in the shade. Although it knows not the sun, it is, nevertheless, absolutely dependent on it. The great Prophets are spirits suns, and Bahá’u’lláh is the sun of this “day” in which we live. The suns of former days have warmed and vivified the world, and had those suns not shone, the earth would not be cold and dead, but it is the sunshine of today that alone can ripen the fruits which the suns of former days have kissed into life.” Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, p. 72

The mercy and grace of God is bestowed upon mankind by means of the Manifestations that God who bring the Holy Spirit and a revelation from God with the remedy mankind needs to solve the problems of the age in which they appear. Whether people believe in them or not, they have never been hindered from achieving their purpose. They have been sent from eternity, and they will continue to succeed each other for eternity. The Grace of God can never cease from flowing.

“There can be no doubt whatever that if for one moment the tide of His mercy and grace were to be withheld from the world, it would completely perish. For this reason, from the beginning that hath no beginning the portals of Divine mercy have been flung open to the face of all created things, and the clouds of Truth will continue to the end that hath no end to rain on the soil of human capacity, reality and personality their favors and bounties. Such hath been God’s method continued from everlasting to everlasting.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 68
How can we realize if Bahaullah did not reveal all that he knew? And why did not he reveal everything that he knew? That would have been a big help. Now we doubt because he kept his secrets and wonder what his secrets were.
Baha’u’llah explained why He did not reveal everything He knew.

“Oh, would that the world could believe Me! Were all the things that lie enshrined within the heart of Bahá, and which the Lord, His God, the Lord of all names, hath taught Him, to be unveiled to mankind, every man on earth would be dumbfounded.

How great the multitude of truths which the garment of words can never contain! How vast the number of such verities as no expression can adequately describe, whose significance can never be unfolded, and to which not even the remotest allusions can be made! How manifold are the truths which must remain unuttered until the appointed time is come! Even as it hath been said: “Not everything that a man knoweth can be disclosed, nor can everything that he can disclose be regarded as timely, nor can every timely utterance be considered as suited to the capacity of those who hear it.

Of these truths some can be disclosed only to the extent of the capacity of the repositories of the light of Our knowledge, and the recipients of Our hidden grace.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 176

In short, everything He knew would have been more than humanity could handle because we do not have the capacity to understand everything He knew at this time in our spiritual evolution. He revealed everything we needed to know during this age in history. More will be revealed when the next Manifestation of God appears.
You are right. With everybody being an ambassador from this 'One God' and blowing his own trumpet, world peace would remain a dream.
And that is why humanity has to unite under one common banner, one religion. Eventually there will be only one religion, but this will not happen for a long time. Of course this was prophesied in the New Testamentbut the Christians did not understand what the verses meant:

John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

In the distant future not only will there be only one religion but everyone will believe in God. That was predicted in the Old Testament.

Isaiah 11:9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.
With all this, you still doubt as to what he was?
You are still not serious, having us non-believers quote to you what Bahaullah said. Is that the only thing you do, praising Bahaullah in MANY forums? Do the Bahais pay you for this?
No, mostly what I do on forums is post to atheists about God, and the subject of Baha’u’llah only comes up if they ask me why I believe in God, which they do. Of course I do not get paid for posting to people. Baha’is do not get paid for sharing their religion. We only do it because Baha’u’llah enjoined us to.

Why should I know everything Baha’u’llah said? Do Christians know everything Jesus “purportedly” said?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is what it is. Speaking of the nature of religion, I cannot recall if I ever posted this short passage. Does this sound restricting to you? If so, why?

“And now concerning thy question regarding the nature of religion. Know thou that they who are truly wise have likened the world unto the human temple. As the body of man needeth a garment to clothe it, so the body of mankind must needs be adorned with the mantle of justice and wisdom. Its robe is the Revelation vouchsafed unto it by God. Whenever this robe hath fulfilled its purpose, the Almighty will assuredly renew it. For every age requireth a fresh measure of the light of God. Every Divine Revelation hath been sent down in a manner that befitted the circumstances of the age in which it hath appeared.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 81

This is a plain, direct statement of the need for Revelations of the Abrahamic mold, directly followed by a claim of a linkage among successive ones. A very fair description of the core idea of the Bahai Faith.

It is indeed too restrictive as a description of religion in general, though, precisely because it requires a purely Abrahamic understanding of what constitutes religion.

That is not surprising or even particularly remarkable in and of itself; every single definition of religion is, after all, arbitrary. And it makes sense that the Abrahamic definitions would attempt to deal with their own expectations of inclusiveness, which are a direct consequence of the attributes of the God that they make central to their doctrine.

All the same, it still turns out that the Abrahamic model is not very good at representing religion in general, and even less successful at understanding non-Abrahamic creeds. For instance, it specifically states that monotheism is a requirement for religion. That is simply not true, at least outside of the Abrahamics.

That is a main dilemma for the Bahai Faith. It attempts to be widely respectful, yet it has also chosen not to leave aside its heritage of a discriminatory model of religion.

What is inefficient about Messengers? What are the better ways?

Messengers of the Bahai conception deliver very indirect messages, of a mainly textual nature.

That is just about the less efficient way of religious teaching available. It requires literacy, a considerable investiment of time reading, and an all but interminable, often deeply frustrating effort at seeking reliable yet useful interpretations of the meaning - interpretations that unavoidably end up being branded unreliable due to their supposed lack of divine endorsement, no less.

Its one saving grace is that it is often demographically succesful - but that carries far too heavy a price, IMO, to the point of making the validity of that transmission highly questionable.

A far better vehicle for the spread of religious doctrine is oral transmission, which involves direct interaction and answering of questions between teachers and students. Another is direct meditation and contemplation, which is even better when alternated with direct experience. There are several varieties of these, some focusing on specific emotional and mental attitudes.

No, God does not communicate directly to everyone and there are good reasons for that. I have all those saved in various Word documents since I posted to an atheist on other forums about this for years. I do like to save my work.

Of course, it seems to me that one supreme reason is that it does not exist in and of itself.

Those are not demands, they are injunctions, and they are not for God’s benefit, they are for human benefit.

Sorry, I am just not seeing it in either the Bible nor the Qur'an's language. I suppose it may appear a given that there should be a God and that it should speak as if it were a demanding tribe leader if one is exposed to those expectations consistently enough. But they are not really very natural conceptions.

Why would belief and obedience be indicative of a false god?

A true god would be transcendental by nature. It would be well beyond such mundane expectations of prestige for itself and submission from its followers.

Fair enough. I can agree on that. We learn from each other. :)

I am sorry but I have to plead ignorance on Islam. I know only enough to be dangerous. Most of what I know is from what Muslims have posted on forums, and that s not very much. I also know what Baha'u'llah quoted from the Qur’an. Had I been actively involved in the Baha’i Faith since I became a Baha’i I would know a lot more, but I only started having an interest in religion during the last few years and most of what I have focused on is Christianity; given I live in a predominantly Christian country I feel it is necessary to know the basics of Christianity.

Fair enough.

All the same, it is a historical fact that the Bahai Faith originated in a Shia Muslim culture, and it definitely shows.

Despite the clear irony of the fact, it is still true that the Bahais are very much among the most effective defenders of the reputation of Islaam these days. For various reasons, the Bahai Faith presents both the willingness to perceive Islaam as a legitimate, true revelation and the desire to actually describe it to non-Muslims in dignified terms. Interestingly, that is considerably rarer among Muslims, at least in the circles that I frequent. I have my ideas about why that is so, but it took many years to form them.

Yes, God does allow for atheists and one has to wonder why. I have no answer off the top of my head. One thing I can think of is that God wants our faith and atheists do not want to have to have faith, they want proof. So without faith atheists will always be atheists unless God provides proof.

My gut feeling is that such is not the case. Atheism has very few consequences and little meaning, but it is not quite so close to theism.

From where I stand, it looks much more accurate to say that atheists are generally simply not particularly taken by the need for theistic faith. It is not even something to consider rejecting, except of course that we are usually taught to nonetheless take a stance about that idea, exotic as it may seem. I don't think very many atheists have ever found themselves in a situation of deciding whether they could or wanted to be theistic. I am not sure that it would even make logical sense.

Also, allow me to point out that theistic belief and faith in God are not necessarily one and the same.

The Bab said that in the future everyone will believe in God, but I do not know how that will come to pass:

“The Day is approaching when God will render the hosts of Truth victorious, and He will purge the whole earth in such wise that within the compass of His knowledge not a single soul shall remain unless he truly believeth in God, worshippeth none other God but Him, boweth down by day and by night in His adoration, and is reckoned among such as are well assured.” Selections From the Writings of the Báb, pp. 153-154

Quite the Islaam-like passage, that one! Its language sure seems to imply not so much a conversion as an eradication of nontheists, don't you think? As a matter of fact, it has an oddly Muslim expectation of belief in "no other God".

I don't think that very many Muslims (or perhaps Bahais) appreciate how exotic and nearly undecipherable such an expectation is for those on the outside. It is so strange a request that I think that most people simply gloss over it without attempting to understand it.

It seems to me to be actually self-contradictory, for it presumes the coexistence of both a purely monotheistic mindset and the need to protect it from some form of temptation to worship other Gods.

The net effect is perhaps that of praising the virtues of monotheism by the perspective of a monotheist, while just sounding odd without much of a clear meaning if one is a non-monotheist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There is an indication that at some point in time God might provide that proof; at least that is how I interpret this passage:

“Warn and acquaint the people, O Servant, with the things We have sent down unto Thee, and let the fear of no one dismay Thee, and be Thou not of them that waver. The day is approaching when God will have exalted His Cause and magnified His testimony in the eyes of all who are in the heavens and all who are on the earth.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 248

I for one do not know what to make of that passage other than a call for people to be proselitistic in their monotheism of a fairly bully-like take on God.

It is a noticeable contrast with other conceptions of deity, which tend to be considerably more serene and relaxed.

It is not God who is responsible for uniting people. People have to unite themselves.
I somewhat agree, but that is still my take on the text that you presented. It attempts to explain an apparent oddity of the Bahai deity, but it does not address the matter of atheism vs theism.

What would you expect? Would you expect God to make everyone a believer? Why would God do that? Of course the crux of this whole matter is free will. God does not want anyone to believe unless it is their own choice.
I, of course, do not expect anything from God, since I do not believe that It exists.

I do expect that a God-conception that demands belief would show some clear reason why belief is even necessary in the first place. Free Will as a concept has been created to attempt to explain that, but I don't think that it succeeds. It just doesn't have a clear meaning of its own.

I have a very good understanding of atheism, you have no idea.

So it seems. I maintain that you do not show hints of such an understanding. I have not perceived them, at the very least.

After all, I have been posting almost exclusively to atheists 24/7 for over five years on several forums. And I do listen to everything they say.

That much is true, far as I can tell.

Maybe I resisted monotheism for the same reasons atheists do, ever thought of that?

Yes, and I discarded it immediately. Exactly because what you describe is so disconnected from my own understanding of atheism.

Perhaps that is why I am drawn to atheists.

I don't think so. It sounds much more likely that you realize that logical challenge that the existence of atheism presents for an Abrahamic conception of deity, and your drive for honesty spurred you into attempting to understand our sorry kuffar minds. :)

Me and God have not always been bosom buddies, an understatement. I had to work really hard at just liking God, let alone loving God. It is a work in progress. Why do I do it? Because I believe that what Baha’u’llah revealed about God is the very truth.

Sorry about that. I fear that I neither understand that perspective nor expect to ever be capable of such a feat.

That use of force has all been done away with by the new Laws of Baha’u’llah.

Fair enough. Not that it was exactly avoidable, mind you. At some point the contradictions of Islaam have to be faced up front, even by Islaam itself.

You see the similarities between Baha’is and Islam but apparently you fail to see the important differences. The spiritual verities never change though, and they are the same in all the Abrahamic religions.

It is probably for others to judge how accurately I perceive the differences and for me to learn from them if I can.

I will say that I see quite a lot of significant differences, and that is why I am so much more sympathetic towards the Bahai Faith than I am towards Islaam.

I am not sure that is what Islam teaches. As I recall reading, Muhammad said there is to be no compulsion in religion.

Yes, that is an old favorite. Without that specific verse, Muslim apologetics would be quite the nightmare. They are not that walk in the park even with it, since after all so much more in the Qur'an tells such a different tale.

It is no coincidence that Muslims often cite that verse but have such a harder time reconciling it with the doctrine in general. Very often they just cite the verse and refuse to comment or elaborate on what it means in practice.

Then again, you could also interpret that verse as Muhammad himself pointing out that Islaam is not a religion. It is as good a reading as any, although it is clearly not what Muhammad hoped that we would conclude.

But of course Islam is no longer the religion of Muhammad, it has been changed by men just like Christianity was changed, although maybe not as much.

As previously pointed out, I don't think any religion worth its salt would want to be "unchanged b men". That would be missing the whole point of religion existing in the first place.

I have no idea where you got that idea but it seems to be prevalent among the non-Abrahamic religions. Who says religion is supposed to be highly customizable?

I do, although I am hardly the only one, let alone the most qualified.

As for why that need exists, it is because religion must connect the inner reality of the adherent with the shared reality of the external world. A religion is no good (and can be loads of bad) if it does not know how to respectfully interact with the deeper traits and nature of its own adherents.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Didn't ask for Bahaullah quotes. Do you know anything other than that? :)
You said: "You find it OK for your One God to punish those who do not believe in him and your manifestation to impotently curse such people. It is not that his curse would maim us in any way. And you say that your God has no need to be worshiped?"

I needed the quotes to explain that God has no need to be worshiped because I do not speak for God, Baha'u'llah does. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
He needs to establish the existence of his God first before we talk of his mission.
"Warn, the day is approaching ..": Moses said that, Jesus said that, Mohammad said that and now Bahaullah says that. I wonder when?
A warning is given before a punishment. So what kind of punishment the Bahai God has in store for people like us? An eternity in hell (Christian), pouring oil on our heads till the brains melt (Islam)?

"People have to unite themselves." Then, for what the ...., there is a God if we have to do all things ourselves. Cannot God with all his power and all his intelligence, think of any way other than sending his inefficient representatives who have created so many religions, which have always been fighting with each other in history?

Jews fighting Jews, Christians fighting Christians, Muslims fighting Muslims, Bahais fighting (or ostracizing Bahais), Christians fighting Jews, Muslims fighting Christians, Muslims fighting Bahais, and all these of one God fighting people who believe in no God or many Gods. It seems as if God wants us to fight each other.

Trailblazer, there are so many gaping holes in the theories about your God that it is tiresome even to point them out. It is like an Indian road after rains, full of pot holes. Each utterance of these representatives hides a pot hole.

Last edited:

charlie sc

You said: "You find it OK for your One God to punish those who do not believe in him and your manifestation to impotently curse such people. It is not that his curse would maim us in any way. And you say that your God has no need to be worshiped?"

I needed the quotes to explain that God has no need to be worshiped because I do not speak for God, Baha'u'llah does. :)
You said you wanted to become a therapist. I'm curious what you actually read on the topic? :p I hope it's not religious text lol

Last edited:

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
He needs to establish the existence of his God first before we talk of his mission.
"Warn, the day is approaching ..": Moses said that, Jesus said that, Mohammad said that and now Bahaullah says that. I wonder when?
A warning is given before a punishment. So what kind of punishment the Bahai God has in store for people like us? An eternity in hell (Christian), pouring oil on our heads till the brains melt (Islam)?

"People have to unite themselves." Then, for what the ...., there is a God if we have to do all things ourselves. Cannot God with all his power and all his intelligence, think of any way other than sending his inefficient representatives who have created so many religions, which have always been fighting with each other in history?

Jews fighting Jews, Christians fighting Christians, Muslims fighting Muslims, Bahais fighting (or ostracizing Bahais), Christians fighting Jews, Muslims fighting Christians, Muslims fighting Bahais, and all these of one God fighting people who believe in no God or many Gods. It seems as if God wants us to fight each other.

Trailblazer, there are so many gaping holes in the theories about your God that it is tiresome even to point them out. It is like an Indian road after rains, full of craters. Each utterance of the representatives hides a crater.
I am curious as to what purpose this Omni God is supposed to fill. He is supposedly above any knowledge humans have to understand Him. He doesn't ever show himself to anyone, and doesn't provide any type of help in the things humans need the most help with. Exactly what good is he? Why do humans need The God in this day and age?