• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Any God?

Jedster

@Nakosis

Why do you feel there is a need for a God? I don't

God has to be there because...? I was told/taught that as a child and am now free of that.(Thank G..oops :))

Why is a God necessary to you? n/a(see above)

RestlessSoul

Without God I was lost.

I was incomplete, there was an emptiness inside, which I tried to fill in any way I could, including drugs and booze. Nothing worked, alcohol and drugs were killing me.

I reached out in my hour of need, and He was there.

Simple really

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Why do you feel there is a need for a God?

God has to be there because...?

Why is a God necessary to you?

Because without an interpreter, existence would only exist as potential. There would not be a “something” and there would not be an “everything”. But there would also not be “nothing”. All there would be without an interpreter is pure anything to experience.

Yet, as we exist, this is not so.

Humbly
Hermit

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

These questions posed as "a need", or there "has to be", and "necessary because," all seem to presume there is some deficiency that needs to be filled. For me I would simply say I "see God" because of the grandeur of it all that surpasses all words. The only word that captures that is the Divine, or "God".

So rather than belief in God being seen as coming from some deficiency need of the mind or emotion to fill some lack, I see it in the category of abundance needs, to express the inexpressible from a place of fullness.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I think each believer needs to start first by defining what we mean by the word God. Non-believers typically want to use this word God with all the connotations of the Abrahamic God concept.

Maybe I am not a believer in God then.

But what I do believe in the primacy of a Consciousness Source of everything. It's more specifically called Brahman than God.

As to the OP question, I do not say there must be a God but I do say after lengthy consideration that I feel the Vedic (Hindu) philosophy of Advaita (non-dual=God and creation are not-two) is the really only satisfying understanding that I have heard (and that includes materialism).

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I have my own ideas of what God is, but in reality I admit I don't have any idea whether it's God, fate, the unconscious forces of the universe, or just myself (and if you ask me these are all perspective drawings of the same thing). I believe, though, that faith that this "force", for a lack of a better word, is on your side and that everything is happening the way it's supposed to be happening, no matter what happens, then things will be good. Not necessarily what you expect or hope for, but good.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I am curious why you ask these questions to us? I have seen you ask similar questions before. I just try to understand the context and what you really want to know

Usually people ask God questions because they are not sure themselves about God, and want to know more. Is that the case?

Or is it linked to below quote?:
By the 19th century, emphasis on the negative aspects of Cynic philosophy led to the modern understanding of cynicism to mean a disposition of disbelief in the sincerity or goodness of human motives and actions

OR

?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I am curious why you ask these questions to us? I have seen you ask similar questions before. I just try to understand the context and what you really want to know

Usually people ask God questions because they are not sure themselves about God, and want to know more. Is that the case?

Or is it linked to below quote?:
By the 19th century, emphasis on the negative aspects of Cynic philosophy led to the modern understanding of cynicism to mean a disposition of disbelief in the sincerity or goodness of human motives and actions

OR

?

Two things, I like to understand what makes us humans tick.
Second, I think people should be asking themselves what makes them tick.
So hopefully answering these questions we get some people to question what is driving them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I have my own ideas of what God is, but in reality I admit I don't have any idea whether it's God, fate, the unconscious forces of the universe, or just myself (and if you ask me these are all perspective drawings of the same thing). I believe, though, that faith that this "force", for a lack of a better word, is on your side and that everything is happening the way it's supposed to be happening, no matter what happens, then things will be good. Not necessarily what you expect or hope for, but good.

Certainly seems that way. Like some cosmic plan unfolding for our benefit.
Almost reliable that whatever happens you will gain some benefit from it.

Like someone/something is looking out for you.
Lots of possibilities, many having nothing to do with the supernatural or divine.
I can imagine many answers or maybe something we have yet to imagine.
Claiming God assumes we know enough to make that determination, I don't think we do.

For me, being an atheist is simply admitting I don't know enough to start making claims about what the truth is.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
OR

Religious Forum is there
So
God has to be there

Because

Religious Forum is there
Because
God does not exist

Would make RF members look a bit...:D

To me, I see our lives as being largely based on fiction. If not God, then some other story we've created running in our brain.
We can certainly create a reality around us to support the fiction.
We even do it knowing it is fiction because that is the reality we'd rather be living.
We will tie a towel to our back and call it a cape because we'd rather live in a world were Superman is real.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think each believer needs to start first by defining what we mean by the word God. Non-believers typically want to use this word God with all the connotations of the Abrahamic God concept.

Maybe I am not a believer in God then.

But what I do believe in the primacy of a Consciousness Source of everything. It's more specifically called Brahman than God.

As to the OP question, I do not say there must be a God but I do say after lengthy consideration that I feel the Vedic (Hindu) philosophy of Advaita (non-dual=God and creation are not-two) is the really only satisfying understanding that I have heard (and that includes materialism).

To me, non-dualism can go either way. Either matter is an illusion or spirit is an illusion. From everything I've experienced, from everything I have come to learn. The physical is necessary, the spirit is not. Of course that is me and maybe I'm wrong. In some ways I hope I am wrong and there exists more. But wanting it alone doesn't justify its existence.
I've yet to find a way to justify disagreement with myself.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
These questions posed as "a need", or there "has to be", and "necessary because," all seem to presume there is some deficiency that needs to be filled. For me I would simply say I "see God" because of the grandeur of it all that surpasses all words. The only word that captures that is the Divine, or "God".

So rather than belief in God being seen as coming from some deficiency need of the mind or emotion to fill some lack, I see it in the category of abundance needs, to express the inexpressible from a place of fullness.

Life really isn't that grand though we can certainly perceive it as so.
I suppose what is grand is the ability our brain has developed to alter our perception of reality.
Whatever reality you believe exists, our brain we help us to perceive it.

I read about a study they did which shows that only a portion of the reality we perceive originates is the external physical world. Some of what we perceive as the external world is created internally by our brains. Sometimes we are aware of this, sometimes we are not. How certain can we be about anything if we cannot be certain of the physical reality of our perception?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
@Nakosis

Why do you feel there is a need for a God? I don't

God has to be there because...? I was told/taught that as a child and am now free of that.(Thank G..oops :))

Why is a God necessary to you? n/a(see above)

Freedom from our past is, IMO, a step toward true freewill.

Last edited: